To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jul 29th 2019 edited

I remember this band from my younger and wilder days... the riffs, the sheer energy, that voice... they were epic. That Blackout In The Red Room album was the famous one but I thought the follow-up Wasted In America was even better... They even made some great stuff after changing guitarists...

Still going. Jizzy still vox and a guy I know plays bass.
    First 2 albums fucking brilliant
    • Jul 29th 2019

Posted By: ianbigmacStill going. Jizzy still vox and a guy I know plays bass.

Good to know!
    When the played at the Marquee in London in support of Blackout, the support band was..........Little Big Horn.
    • Jul 30th 2019

Posted By: beanofireWhen the played at the Marquee in London in support of Blackout, the support band was..........Little Big Horn.

Love/Hate at The Marguee, that must have been a laugh! Are you a Londoner, Beanofire?
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: beanofireWhen the played at the Marquee in London in support of Blackout, the support band was..........Little Big Horn.

Love/Hate at The Marguee, that must have been a laugh! Are you a Londoner, Beanofire?

I live near Heathrow Airport, moving to Spain by the end of this year hopefully.
    • Jul 30th 2019

Posted By: beanofireI live near Heathrow Airport, moving to Spain by the end of this year hopefully.

Nice one, that's quite a change! I'd love to live abroad but can't really, for various reasons.

As for London, ironically I have a love/hate relationship with it.
    Jizzy still totally brings it live. Seen them so many times over the years and the energy levels are still there. The intro to Blackout still gives me the goosebumps after all these years. That crunching E G D G is almost DC like in its simplicity but it still gets me. The intro to ‘smooth up in ya’ by the bulletboys is the same, instant bloody goosebumps.
    Saw them open for AC/DC in Toronto in 1990. Generic rock band (Love/Hate, not AC/DC).
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: beanofireI live near Heathrow Airport, moving to Spain by the end of this year hopefully.

Nice one, that's quite a change! I'd love to live abroad but can't really, for various reasons.

As for London, ironically I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Mainly for health reasons. Yep, London has that effect on me now. It's changed a lot since I used to frequent it regularly back in the early 90's.
    • Jul 31st 2019

Posted By: beanofireLondon has that effect on me now. It's changed a lot since I used to frequent it regularly back in the early 90's.

Too right :-/

I enjoy the 'niceness' of some parts, such as West Hampstead which is near where I live - a splendid place to hang-out - but the erosion of its character (closing of independent shops, pubs, destroying Soho etc.) is terrible. As for crime, filth and corruption everywhere, don't get me started. A cesspit.

Hope your health will be OK and Spain helps with that.

Posted By: WhereeezangooseJizzy still totally brings it live. Seen them so many times over the years and the energy levels are still there. The intro to Blackout still gives me the goosebumps after all these years. That crunching E G D G is almost DC like in its simplicity but it still gets me. The intro to ‘smooth up in ya’ by the bulletboys is the same, instant bloody goosebumps.

That's cool, I looked him up, he's 61 now, so that's impressive if he can still do it, and does so with enthusiasm.

Amused by ‘smooth up in ya’ - a local glam rock band in the areas I used to hang-out in did a song called that (I thought it was so ridiculous!), I assumed it was their own, but I guess it was a cover then. Band was The Original Sinners - they gained some minor notoriety at some stage, played a few good venues. Singer passed away a few years ago, but I still know one or two of their other guys.
    Here in the States, we used to have a show called "Friday Night Videos" which aired on NBC channels. It was the only way those of us without cable got to see music videos. For a short time, they tried the format on Saturday Mornings, at the end of the cartoon block and called it "Saturday Morning Videos", again on the NBC channels. I remember they only played "kid and teen" friendly videos. There were no Metallica, or other heavy metal songs. They played Love/Hate's, "Why Do You Think They Call it Dope?" and I nearly fell over in laughter. I can only imagine some stuffed suit thought the song was anti-drug. I went straight out and bought the album - and fell in love with it (Black Out in the Red Room). To this day, it's still one of my favorites.

When Love/Hate was announced to be coming with AC/DC, I was in heaven! My buddy and I were on the fence, in front of Malcolm, and during the Love/Hate set, we were singing along with the lyrics and the guys in the band noticed it and pointed at us and sort of gave us recognition for knowing their music. My buddy and I were probably only two of a handful of people in the entire arena who knew the band's material. They certainly didn't get any airplay on our radio stations.

It's sad that they never really captured the success of Blackout. The next album was good, but it ran into the same buzzsaw that killed off the rock genre. Most people were turning to Grunge.
    • Jul 31st 2019

Nice story, Jack B. That must have been cool being really into them, then finding them supporting AC/DC - good result.

Me and pals discovered a lot of bands on Raw Power, a rock broadcast on telly late evening (as far as I remember - we probably recorded it to watch after the boozer) - Love/Hate were likely on that show quite a lot.

I really liked Wasted In America, I felt it had a lot more depth than Blackout.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jul 31st 2019

SHITE.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jul 31st 2019 edited

Black Out In The Red Room is an 80's classic!

Absolutely agree sir but if memory serves me correctly I think it cane out in 90’. All the same those two tunes are immense. Jizzy would sound great singing some DC tunes.
    I think the music in these videos shows exactly "WTF happened to Love/Hate?"

They went back to obscurity where they clearly belonged :)

Bloody awful
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 1st 2019

Posted By: WhereeezangooseAbsolutely agree sir but if memory serves me correctly I think it cane out in 90’. All the same those two tunes are immense. Jizzy would sound great singing some DC tunes.

Wow, you are right! 1990! I'll call it close enough. : )
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Aug 2nd 2019 edited

what amazed me was when LOVE /HATE played the Krazy House in Liverpool...we used to go religiously every weekend, ususally to try and pull...you had your nice little rock chick / goth girl through to your dirty liverpool slag type in there..but when LOVE /HATE turned up ive never seen fucking women like this in there and im sure they werent local slags...fuck me they were gorgeous but filth !!!
    • Aug 2nd 2019

Posted By: angus1878what amazed me was when LOVE /HATE played the Krazy House in Liverpool...we used to go religiously every weekend, ususally to try and pull...you had your nice little rock chick / goth girl through to your dirty liverpool slag type in there..but when LOVE /HATE turned up ive never seen fucking women like this in there and im sure they werent local slags...fuck me they were gorgeous but filth !!!

hahaha post of the day!
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019

I used to frequent The Krazy House too! Fun times!
    • Aug 2nd 2019

Old school rock clubs / rock nights... I remember a rock night in Mliton Keynes that was brilliant, The Red Lion at Brentford in West London was also really cool.. friends used to go on about Nottingham Rock City.. Then there was Cosmic Ken's rock night at the craziest pub I've ever known in my entire life, The Iron Horse at Amersham....golden years!
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019 edited

remember seeing the SCREAMING JETS there, in Liverpool, then they played Birkenhead Stairways the next night...i got passed the mic to do the end "scream" of T.N.T......the singer had seen me singing every fooking word !!!and gave me my minute of fame......also played pool with GIRLSHOOL in Stairways..80,s and 90, rock clubs were great for BEER,BIRDS and ROCK !!
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019

I saw AB/CD at Stairways!
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019

both club GONE now !!!!!!!
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019

Aye. Both places irreplaceable.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Aug 4th 2019

Love/Hate were the first band I ever met, in HMV, Manchester, in the early 90s. I didn't have the money for a cd (a pal taped Blackout for me) so they signed my schoolbag!

I remember hearing that Jizzy Pearl 'crucified' himself on the Hollywood sign, and had to be rescued.

Had a bit of a listen to some of the album again yesterday after maybe 25 years, yikes, the lyrics to Rock Queen haven't dated too well... Makes Squealer look like a hymn.
    • Aug 8th 2019

Posted By: TreehornI remember hearing that Jizzy Pearl 'crucified' himself on the Hollywood sign, and had to be rescued.

I read about that, and amusingly, apparently no-one really noticed as quickly as expected, so he stayed up there much longer than planned!

They must have started out as a really sleazy glam band - I mean, "Jizzy Pearl" - so embarrassing. But a great singer and frontman, and a great band.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 30th 2019

Watch Stevie as a 1975 Malcolm clone:

Stevie suffers from the same problem Malcolm had; Always way too low in the mix (or he really played at half volume..)
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 30th 2019

Posted By: Thankass

Stevie suffers from the same problem Malcolm had; Always way too low in the mix (or he really played at half volume..)

Cool guitar riff during the verses.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 30th 2019

Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: Thankass

Cool guitar riff during the verses.
    Yep. But only audible via the other guitarist..
    I remember an 80s band called Love and Rockets but don’t recall Love & Hate. Will give them a listen...
    • AC/DC rock music: Damo
    • Sep 1st 2019

I loved their first two albums. I met them once and they seemed alright. I thought then and still think it now, that if they had come out three years earlier they would have been big.