To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

• AC/DC rock music: Dono
    • Jul 18th 2019

hi all.

got a copy of who made who unique ecuador promo blue cover, for sale at 160 euro plus shipping. located in Switzerland.

and, still looking for moneytalks 12" australian press only.

if is the case, get in touch please.
    cheers, dono
    The cover is hardly that different to justify that high price.
    • Jul 19th 2019

Posted By: Overdose69The cover is hardly that different to justify that high price.

its the promo version, promo stamp on label, few copies exist. probably a lot of people never see it.
    Plain blue sleeve, yes?
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jul 19th 2019

Posted By: Overdose69The cover is hardly that different to justify that high price.

I would pay 160 Euro for that in a heartbeat
    • Jul 19th 2019

plain blue sleeve yes. maybe i can update later a picture. but its on ebay too, just write acdc ecuador promo and check it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Jul 19th 2019 edited

• Jul 19th 2019

made a mistake, is uruguay promo, not ecuador….
    Posted By: Donomade a mistake, is uruguay promo, not ecuador….

That explains it!

Haha. Ok
    • Jul 19th 2019

Posted By: Overdose69
    Posted By: Donomade a mistake, is uruguay promo, not ecuador….

That explains it!

Haha. Ok

damn, sorry...
    • Jul 20th 2019

sold

please get in touch for the moneytalks aussi 12" press, ready to pay.
    • Aug 22nd 2019

I just got delivery of this item. Its weird as hell. Basically its the Uruguay vinyl more or less same as on Discogs, but with a "not for resale" kinda stamp on it (in Spanish) and the runout etchings are completely different. But otherwise identical as far as I can see. Then the cover is a weird generic blue cover , with some references to Made in Uruguay and some legal stuff in Spanish, but then carefully cut out and glued on is the front and back of the Uruguay WMW Cassette. The Cassette itself is rare as hell, so this is really weird. I am thinking overall its a bootleg and I was ripped off, but interested to hear the views of others
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Two for sale in the space of a month?

[Link to eBay item]
    [Link to eBay item]

Dono, where did you acquire your copy from?
    •  
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Looks like a scan and print job to me
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Agree - looks like I was scammed !!
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Posted By: bonlivesTwo for sale in the space of a month?

[Link to eBay item]
    [Link to eBay item]

Dono, where did you acquire your copy from?

got it from ebay yes, thats why those 2 labels are same, thats my copy, bought and then sold. i think all the uruguay promo blue cover are same, dont know much more about. i see there was other blue uruguay promo cover sold in the past years, checking popsike. EMI uruguay promo cover are red, atlantic promo are blue. dont know if manufactors use cassette cover to make promo cover for lp, i saw some red emi iron maiden uruguay promo they look all the same, plain cover with track list and title album glued details on front and back, exactly like the who made who i sold. so, are all bootleg or they are made like that from manufactors?
    about 'prohibida su venda' stamp on label, ALL promo from south america have that stamp, argentina, uruguay, peru, brasil.. all are similar, so dont surprise me that a promo of south america look similar to reg issue, just the stamp on label make it a promo version. i personally have 6-7 promo album from south america, all have just a stamp on label. so that make it a bootleg?
    on past sale they are just some example sold on popsike, if was an homemade bootleg was pleanty of that plain blue or red covers. and, if the cassette is rate as hell, why dont make money with that instead to create a promo lp?
    about matrix, is it diff from reg uruguay issue? you listen it? its acdc who made who or?
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Really pity to be named scammer, or ripped off, after 15 years its the first time, and its not funny.
    and nimeta if there was a problem with your order maybe first get in touch with me as seller no? before post your opinion about a deal to a public forum.
    btw, checking tracking number you got it on 27 july, and you come out after one month to spoke about?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 22nd 2019 edited

Posted By: bonlives

Bonlives, what do you mean by scan and print job? Do you mean scanning an official release of some sort and then making a label for a boot? Or covering up a standard LP with a fake label?

And what are we looking at in the upper left block of your picture? The one at the edge of the label.

I don't know much about forensics. I just go with the idea of being wary of any items that come along that I have never seen in all the years of collecting.
    Anything odd from South America should always be treated with caution.

Anything “promo stamped” from any country should always be treated with caution as well.

I didn’t bother with it for those reasons.
    •  
    • Aug 22nd 2019

That reminds me. Anybody ever seen a Back In Black with bright green lettering on the cover? Supposedly from Greece. I think that one may be a Bigfoot.
    • Aug 22nd 2019

he just sign 3 things that are identical on both label, impossible for two different lp. but this is the same lp as explained on my first post.

i just checked popsike about uruguay promo covers. thers nothing strange to me with my copy sold to nimeta.
    •  
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Posted By: Donohe just sign 3 things that are identical on both label, impossible for two different lp.

Ah, now I get it. Interesting. Thanks.
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: Donohe just sign 3 things that are identical on both label, impossible for two different lp.

Ah, now I get it. Interesting. Thanks.

interesting? is just the same lp, bought and re sold by me, its not a mistery. nothing about scan, print, ecc...
    Hang on, I thought these blue/generic promos were real? I’ve seen a HTH one I’m sure. Hmmm
    • Aug 23rd 2019

Posted By: DonoReally pity to be named scammer, or ripped off, after 15 years its the first time, and its not funny.
    and nimeta if there was a problem with your order maybe first get in touch with me as seller no? before post your opinion about a deal to a public forum.
    btw, checking tracking number you got it on 27 july, and you come out after one month to spoke about?

In my defence...

Firstly I wasn't naming you as a scammer. if its a scam, then maybe we are just part of a chain

Secondly, yes I got it 27 July and only flagged it yesterday , but I travel very extensively with work and only got back after a very long trip yesterday morning (I am off again today for a week, which gives an idea how seldom I am "home")

Thirdly, my opening post was a general query..."this looks strange...what do people think" and my scam assumption was made only after the bonlives post, without massive amounts of consideration. It just looked like he knew what sort of thing to look for, but you came back quickly and explained why the 2 discs were identical.

And finally, I hope its legit, but honestly I have never seen anything quite like it. An LP with a cassette cover literally glued onto a corner. And I have a very extensive collection, with quite some latin American discs included. Its weird!! I you can send the pop spike link I would appreciate.

So apologies for any offence, and more important than mudslinging I would prefer to continue the debate on if it is genuine or not. Cos even if it is a fake, we can all learn here what to watch for in the future, which is valuable to the community.
    •  
    • Aug 23rd 2019

Just to clarify my earlier, initial post, I was pointing out that apparently 2 copies of this have sold in the space of a month. That is always alarming when you come across a previously unseen release. Hence I asked where Dono had acquired their copy from.

Upon taking a closer look at the labels from the 2 eBay auctions, it became obvious that they have printing anomalies that are identical. That suggests that they are printed that way - possibly a scanned copy of a label that has been reprinted.

Dono has advised that they are the purchaser from the first auction.

However, I’m not convinced it’s the same record at this stage. Why? Take a look at the “not for sale” stamp, and in particular, the bottom left hand corner where it says ESTEREO. Unless my eyes are playing tricks, they are not the same.

Just going by those pictures, it still looks like 2 copies to me.

Further, and it’s difficult to confirm from the pictures, but it doesn’t appear that there are any spindle marks around the centre hole. That is almost unheard of except in the rarest of cases where an old record is still in mint, unplayed condition OR it’s a new pressing. The cover also appears to be overly crisp. I note there’s a crease on the reverse side - nimeta, it might be worth checking yours to see if that crease is present on your copy.
    •  
    • Aug 23rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Inferno

Bonlives, what do you mean by scan and print job? Do you mean scanning an official release of some sort and then making a label for a boot? Or covering up a standard LP with a fake label?

And what are we looking at in the upper left block of your picture? The one at the edge of the label.

I don't know much about forensics. I just go with the idea of being wary of any items that come along that I have never seen in all the years of collecting.
    First option mate - a scanned label that’s been reprinted to put on a bootleg.

And not sure what that thing is in the upper left block. I drew attention to it just to underscore the identical anomalies on the 2 copies. And I’m sticking to there being 2 copies (at this stage in the hands of the same seller) until someone convinces me those stamps are identical.
    • Aug 23rd 2019

Really dont understand. i bought it and resold it, so its def the same record. and, you spoke about scan, so need to be an exact copy, but than you say promo stamp is different? how is it possible? btw, that stamp look the same to me. also seller was quite easy, and he got just 2 uruguay acdc for sale on vinyl, other items for sale was not lp releated.
    spindle hole can be detected only by ispection of the record, in that pictures its really hard to tell something about.
    finally, the plain promo cover uruguay press exist, thers a lot of confirm on the iron maiden collectors, they are red emi cover. about blue atlantic, seems to be the same. we can discuss about official or not, but speak about scan or copy or 2 diff records its a bit out.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

I did a bit more hunting around.

A purported Uruguayan promo of Highway to Hell sold in 2011. Fast forward to 2019 and purported Uruguayan promos of Highway to Hell and Who Made Who are sold by another seller a month apart.

Looking at the sleeves, the recent sales appear to be a different colour blue (even allowing for lighting/flash), are on a different/heavier card stock, are in crisper condition, and have artwork that is the same for the 2019 sales but inconsistent with the 2011 sale.

Looking at Iron Maiden promos, it’s the same story. A promo sold in 2010, in 2019 a crisp copy is sold. Except in this case, the 2019 sleeve is very clearly different to the 2010 sale.

Pictures for comparison purposes:

My verdict: 2019 reproductions/bootlegs. Official reproductions? I don’t believe so.

Other considerations:

Highway to Hell and WMW released 7 years apart - highly unlikely promo sleeves remain the same for 7 years, particularly when promo albums in between do not have the same sleeves.
    South American LPs are typically in very poor condition - crisp sleeves should always ring alarm bells.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019 edited

Posted By: bonlivesHighway to Hell and WMW released 7 years apart - highly unlikely promo sleeves remain the same for 7 years, particularly when promo albums in between do not have the same sleeves.

There's the best clue right there.

It's highly unlikely that there is something out there that collectors haven't already seen over the years, so if you run across something odd like this, the best bet is that it's nothing official. And for anyone on this forum who has a question about an item before possibly buying it, they should just ask. Lots of knowledge on here.
    • Aug 24th 2019

Dont know. both highway to hell look same to me, just the 2011 its a bad photo not on focus, and the blue color can appear diff cause of the picture itself. the only way to compare is to have both in hand imo.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

Look at the width and spacing of the horizontal white lines above the little album picture. They are completely different on the two HTH covers, and identical on the recent HTH and WMW covers.

On the Iron Maiden cover, look at the logos along the bottom. They are clearly not the same.
    I agree the recent sales look dodgy. The earlier ones though, I believe genuine.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019 edited

Posted By: tomscotlandI agree the recent sales look dodgy. The earlier ones though, I believe genuine.

Genuine what? As bonlives pointed out, you have two "promos" that look exactly alike for albums that were 7 years apart. At best these are some sort of official reissue (but then why would they be promos?). More likely they are boots. And if they are boots, is one more "genuine" than the other. One is just newer.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

Posted By: InfernoGenuine what?
    I think Tom’s saying the 2010 (Maiden) and 2011 (AC/DC) sales appear to be of genuine promos. But the 2019 sales are dodgy.

I can’t speak to the genuineness of the 2010/2011 “promos”, but the 2019 sales are clearly reproductions.
    ^yes, that’s exactly what I meant.
    • Aug 30th 2019

I think Tom’s saying the 2010 (Maiden) and 2011 (AC/DC) sales appear to be of genuine promos. But the 2019 sales are dodgy.

I can’t speak to the genuineness of the 2010/2011 “promos”, but the 2019 sales are clearly reproductions.

Just got back home again and looked again at the disk. The sleeve is in NM condition, so yeah, I am now pretty convinced its a reproduction also.

Anyone want to buy it for $10 ? lol
    I agree the recent sales look dodgy. The earlier ones though, I believe genuine.
    • AC/DC rock music:Inferno
    • 5 days agoedited
    Posted By: tomscotlandI agree the recent sales look dodgy. The earlier ones though, I believe genuine.

Genuine what? As bonlives pointed out, you have two "promos" that look exactly alike for albums that were 7 years apart. At best these are some sort of official reissue (but then why would they be promos?). More likely they are boots. And if they are boots, is one more "genuine" than the other. One is just newer.

Yes ^^^ Earlier versions are genuine but the later releases are dodgy reproductions.