To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinGreat things being said here. I would speculate that a lot of people don't actually hate Axl or his performance, yet instead hate the fact that he was there and Brian wasn't (especially since Brian's exit wasn't even very necessary, they could've just delayed the shows x amount of months).

Brian didn't do a live performance again until a year and a half later with Muse. 18 months would be an obscenely long time to delay a tour. In fact, I would bet that's never been done before in history.

Good point, but we don’t know if the MUSE spot was the first time he was capable of performing and that he couldn’t have done so earlier.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jul 31st 2019

Nitro nailed pretty much everything in his post.

And one other obvious thing, one reason why Axl's voice didn't fit for some people was because of how massively distinctive it is, correlated to another massive band. And on top of that, such a notorious band (and singer). So there's some psychology there beyond just the sound of the guy's voice.

I hated the whole affair and still think it was completely crazy, but I like Axl, and was pleased for the guy in how he pretty much surprised nearly everyone with his vocal abilities. The amount of abuse he's taken on YouTube etc. over the years, when his voice hasn't been great - that must be so annoying and depressing.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostGood point, but we don’t know if the MUSE spot was the first time he was capable of performing and that he couldn’t have done so earlier.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jul 31st 2019

Posted By: carlos fandango
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostGood point, but we don’t know if the MUSE spot was the first time he was capable of performing and that he couldn’t have done so earlier.

But isn't there a significant difference between performing one song as a special guest & having to perform a full 2h+ live show? Especially for a singer like Brian?
    • Jul 31st 2019

Posted By: DrBelfordBut isn't there a significant difference between performing one song as a special guest & having to perform a full 2h+ live show? Especially for a singer like Brian?

There must be a qualitative element though, I mean one loud song could fuck your hearing if you're not properly protected? So perhaps in the various appearances he's made since AC/DC, his ear thing has been working well enough, even if still being refined?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jul 31st 2019 edited

^Of course you're right about that. But I always wonder how much all of the RoB tour debacle also had to do with pure exhaustion and overstrained voice issues, the whole physical & psychological stress at that age. Maybe the hearing thing was simply the one factor that led to a tipping point.
    @ForThoseAboutToPost That’s exactly what came to mind after reading the previous post. We simply don’t know the how extreme his risk was. It could have taken any amount of time to get a hearing device and let him heal a substantial amount.

Posted By: 900Nitro nailed pretty much everything in his post.

And one other obvious thing, one reason why Axl's voice didn't fit for some people was because of how massively distinctive it is, correlated to another massive band. And on top of that, such a notorious band (and singer). So there's some psychology there beyond just the sound of the guy's voice.

I hated the whole affair and still think it was completely crazy, but I like Axl, and was pleased for the guy in how he pretty much surprised nearly everyone with his vocal abilities. The amount of abuse he's taken on YouTube etc. over the years, when his voice hasn't been great - that must be so annoying and depressing.
    That’s probably one thing that bothered me the most - Axl is already incredibly famous for GnR, so it felt kinda like a “super-band” in that respect. Still, as much as I want/ed Brian back, Axl did a great job and served the band well.
    • Jul 31st 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinit felt kinda like a “super-band”

It sure did - almost like a cartoon strip, where unlikely characters get together! Batman v. Superman v. Alien or whoever!

Posted By: DrBelfordI always wonder how much all of the RoB tour debacle also had to do with pure exhaustion and overstrained voice issues, the whole physical & psychological stress at that age. Maybe the hearing thing was simply the one factor that led to a tipping point.

Brian certainly struggled with some of that tour. But I think if you're not hearing properly, then you start to react and not sing the same. I was amazed when he said to what degree he was pitching-in via "muscle memory" alone - absolutely amazing really, poor guy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, even at 71, he came out sounding strong on stage again, even if his voiced faded after a while.

I thought he sounded great on that appearance with Plant and Paul Rogers. That was cool!
    @Nachos73 Thanks for the reply. The thought of a Disney forum board similar to this one just makes me laugh. WNP? (what new park?)
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Aug 1st 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin@Nachos73 Thanks for the reply. The thought of a Disney forum board similar to this one just makes me laugh. WNP? (what new park?)

Lol ain't that the truth
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Aug 1st 2019

Ok when I saw them with Axl he kept looking down alot at a telepromter. Is this happen normally? I don't remember Brian doing somthing like that.
    Posted By: 900Brian certainly struggled with some of that tour. But I think if you're not hearing properly, then you start to react and not sing the same. I was amazed when he said to what degree he was pitching-in via "muscle memory" alone - absolutely amazing really, poor guy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, even at 71, he came out sounding strong on stage again, even if his voiced faded after a while.

I was kind of amazed at the news because I had noticed before that he was taking risks with his vocal melodies more than ever before. And in some cases it worked quite well. I remember watching a performance of Sin City where Brian was killing it with unique melodies on that tour. I'll see if I can find it...

Posted By: Nachos73Ok when I saw them with Axl he kept looking down alot at a telepromter. Is this happen normally? I don't remember Brian doing somthing like that.

They have used teleprompters since at least 2001. You can see them quite clearly on SUL Live. Of course, Brian wouldn't need them as much, having sang those songs for 30 years vs. Axl stepping in for the first time.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 1st 2019

Posted By: Nachos73Ok when I saw them with Axl he kept looking down alot at a telepromter. Is this happen normally? I don't remember Brian doing somthing like that.

They have used teleprompters since at least 2001. You can see them quite clearly on SUL Live. Of course, Brian wouldn't need them as much, having sang those songs for 30 years vs. Axl stepping in for the first time.
    Uhh sorry, but Brian's eyes were glued to the teleprompter for the BI and certainly the RoB tour.
    Brian started using Teleprompters in 91. I’m pretty sure you can see them in Donington.
    So what? The guy was half deaf and stadiums can be really echoing anyway. He uses a little cheat so he can deliver a high quality performance. I myself have such a shitty memory I wouldn't remember my very own songs even if I had been singing them for decades.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 1st 2019

Posted By: SpellboundBrian started using Teleprompters in 91. I’m pretty sure you can see them in Donington.

I'm pretty sure he only started to use 'em on the SUL tour.
    I don't see what's the big deal. I've played in bands where singers had a terrible memory for lyrics and they had to use visual help. All major bands have teleprompters. Nothing to be ashamed of. Id rather have artists doing that and not screwing up the lyrics .
    Depends on how you percieve it really, you kinda want to think that if the music mattered enough, they’d memorize the lyrics, a guitarplayer has to memorize chords after all...could be one thing is easier than the other.
    Posted By: Badlands66Depends on how you percieve it really, you kinda want to think that if the music mattered enough, they’d memorize the lyrics, a guitarplayer has to memorize chords after all...could be one thing is easier than the other.

I think with a lot of guys, it’s just there as a safety prop (and is also a good paying crew job) that can tend to become a crutch even when it’s not technically necessary for the singer to remember the words.
    Posted By: Badlands66Depends on how you percieve it really, you kinda want to think that if the music mattered enough, they’d memorize the lyrics, a guitarplayer has to memorize chords after all...could be one thing is easier than the other.

It's much easier to remember chords than lyrics, for sure

I'd rather have teleprompters than Brian singing hilariously wrong lyrics for an entire tour like he did sometimes back in the '80s. Like okay, for the first few shows he gets some slack, but 6 months into the tour and he hasn't taken 3 minutes of his free time to listen to a song he's unsure about?

Posted By: matirocker
    It's much easier to remember chords than lyrics, for sure

True, I can start playing and just go off of muscle memory without even thinking sometimes. Probably how Mal survived the end of the BI tour.
    Posted By: 900Brian certainly struggled with some of that tour. But I think if you're not hearing properly, then you start to react and not sing the same. I was amazed when he said to what degree he was pitching-in via "muscle memory" alone - absolutely amazing really, poor guy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, even at 71, he came out sounding strong on stage again, even if his voiced faded after a while.

I was kind of amazed at the news because I had noticed before that he was taking risks with his vocal melodies more than ever before. And in some cases it worked quite well. I remember watching a performance of Sin City where Brian was killing it with unique melodies on that tour. I'll see if I can find it...

Fantastic performance and heartfelt. Brian needed to do more of stuff in this register, especially as he aged. I prefer this voice to the blown-out Donald Duck voice he had from Razors Edge (god, I feel like an idiot not typing that apostrophe) until Black Ice.
    Angus' suits are oversized.
    • Aug 4th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoFantastic performance and heartfelt. Brian needed to do more of stuff in this register, especially as he aged.

Sin City is certainly a track he's still done very well even on the last tour. The range is easy enough for him, and the verses had enough space so the vocals can have a little variation and expression.

And in the breakdown where you hear just the vocal, it's always great to hear Brian's voice going from the spoken bit back to classic high-pitch energy.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto

Fantastic performance and heartfelt. Brian needed to do more of stuff in this register, especially as he aged. I prefer this voice to the blown-out Donald Duck voice he had from Razors Edge (god, I feel like an idiot not typing that apostrophe) until Black Ice.

I don't think you can say he ever had one voice for more than a single tour after BUYV, if not earlier. BB was a drastic change from TRE. SUL was fairly similar to BB but much less power and more worn out. BI was a drastic change with more range but cleaner tone. By the end of the BI tour, he sounded pretty much like ROB as I recall.

I fucking love his "blown out" TRE voice, he never sounded more powerful than on that tour. But once he reached SUL where it was truly worn out, yes, he needed to adjust the register. And he did for much of the new material on that album, anyway.
    • Aug 9th 2019

I really like his voice on TRE as well, and on the better of the tour stuff (he sounded a bit crazy at some points).

I enjoyed the vocals BB and No Bull, I thought he was great, but to my ears he was a lot more powerful on SUL. Voice sounded a bit softer and older, but more lung-power. And that Phoenix broadcast I keep going on about, he sounds mighty on there. It's become one of my favourite live recordings with Brian - it smashes LARP out of the park and it's more powerful than No Bull (which I like a lot for its natural sound and mix).

Don't understand how his voice went from SUL (which again I liked) to BI - remarkable. And then to still sound great on ROB....amazing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 9th 2019

Isn't this a "stereotype" thread?
    Posted By: InfernoIsn't this a "stereotype" thread?

Isn't that what the title of it says?
    Speaking of stereotypes....
    Apparently a youtuber beat her dog on a video and she was wearing an acdc t-shirt...I can hear it now...
    Posted By: Nachos73Speaking of stereotypes....
    Apparently a youtuber beat her dog on a video and she was wearing an acdc t-shirt...I can hear it now...
    I'm done with this satanic music.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • 6 days ago

Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto

I don't think you can say he ever had one voice for more than a single tour after BUYV, if not earlier. BB was a drastic change from TRE. SUL was fairly similar to BB but much less power and more worn out. BI was a drastic change with more range but cleaner tone. By the end of the BI tour, he sounded pretty much like ROB as I recall.

I fucking love his "blown out" TRE voice, he never sounded more powerful than on that tour. But once he reached SUL where it was truly worn out, yes, he needed to adjust the register. And he did for much of the new material on that album, anyway.

I fucking hated that shit he did vocally. Do not change the fucking melody. This is not a jam band this is AC/DC. Sing the fucking song. Fucking love you Brian.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: Nachos73Speaking of stereotypes....
    I'm done with this satanic music.

Lol :)
    Posted By: 900I really like his voice on TRE as well, and on the better of the tour stuff (he sounded a bit crazy at some points).

I enjoyed the vocals BB and No Bull, I thought he was great, but to my ears he was a lot more powerful on SUL. Voice sounded a bit softer and older, but more lung-power. And that Phoenix broadcast I keep going on about, he sounds mighty on there. It's become one of my favourite live recordings with Brian - it smashes LARP out of the park and it's more powerful than No Bull (which I like a lot for its natural sound and mix).

Don't understand how his voice went from SUL (which again I liked) to BI - remarkable. And then to still sound great on ROB....amazing.

I think I get what you mean, it was probably the fact that he was trying to use brute force on BB like he did on TRE, so it showed his strain, whereas on SUL he was singing more relaxed and appropriate for his voice's condition. So in that sense, he definitely sounded healthier on SUL.

Posted By: Jem
    I fucking hated that shit he did vocally. Do not change the fucking melody. This is not a jam band this is AC/DC. Sing the fucking song. Fucking love you Brian.
    \

When are you referring to? He changed his register frequently throughout his career, but kept the melodies the same, mostly. I would say the most change in melody was ROB when he couldn't hear and was just winging it.
    • 1 day ago

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotI think I get what you mean, it was probably the fact that he was trying to use brute force on BB like he did on TRE, so it showed his strain, whereas on SUL he was singing more relaxed and appropriate for his voice's condition. So in that sense, he definitely sounded healthier on SUL.

That sounds about right for them more laid-back singing on stuff like SUL and Hold Me Back, but on songs like House Of Jazz and Satellite Blues he sounds like he has a lot more lung power than on BB. I didn't mind that on BB though, he wasn't helped by the dry mix, but in a way it gave some songs a bit of edge, hearing him hollering away giving it his best..

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotWhen are you referring to? He changed his register frequently throughout his career, but kept the melodies the same, mostly. I would say the most change in melody was ROB when he couldn't hear and was just winging it.

There were times when he changed the phrasing, which I wasn't too keen on (maybe Jem refers to that) - I sensed he was doing it to help with breath control / lung power on some occasions, especially on STT, maybe not for Sin City.
    • 1 day ago

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotHe changed his register frequently throughout his career, but kept the melodies the same

Wouldn't that mean singing in a different octave? When did he do that?
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotHe changed his register frequently throughout his career, but kept the melodies the same

Wouldn't that mean singing in a different octave? When did he do that?

You know, I've wondered myself exactly how he did it. I think it's more to do with how he produces the vocals. Like head voice, chest voice, etc. I don't know anything about singing, but you don't have to know to hear the difference between the BIB tour and the FOTW tour, and the FOTW tour from the TRE tour. I don't think it actually amounts to an octave difference, except maybe from BIB to BB or something.
    • 19 hours ago

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotYou know, I've wondered myself exactly how he did it. I think it's more to do with how he produces the vocals. Like head voice, chest voice, etc.

That sounds more logical. I remember versions of Money Honey from the early 80s (not even mid-80s) where the vocal sounded very different, he sounded black and less 'high pitched' even though the pitch / octave was the same. Maybe it was a way of adapting to getting some vocal cord nodules which seemed to be happening sometime after BIB.

An actual octave difference would stick out like a sore thumb, I really don't think he's ever done that (maybe a line here or there just on occasion but not as a new way of singing a whole song). Something like the song Ballbreaker, comparing the first verse to the chorus - that's an octave - the difference is pretty dramatic.