To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

It's taken over a year for the album to be released because Mutt is producing it. And we know how long he takes. By the time the ball gets rolling for a tour it will be the 40th anniversary of Back in Back. it's just a theory.
    If that we’re the case why did the band leave Vancouver?

Albums supposedly been in the can and mixed a LONG time ago.
    who said they left Vancouver? they were just never photoed again.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Jul 15th 2019

they are still at Vancouver!!!! the studio owner just lets them smoke inside now
    Brian Adams the owner always let's them smoke in the studio. He's a easy going Canadian eh
    Actually, that's a pretty good theory. I was really hoping that Mutt would produce it, i hope it happens. I like Brendan, his vision of AC/DC really works, they should work together
    I would say all the photos of them not being in Vancouver is evidence enough.
    Would be awesome but not likely.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jul 16th 2019

It would be nice if the album delay was due to -

They just put the raw tracks down in Vancouver
    Angus has spent a few months working on great guitar solos with a little thought put into them .
    Brian has spent a couple of months penning the lyrics and recording them

I know in reality this is not the case but it would be have been interesting
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jul 16th 2019

Nice theory, Miss Anne Elk.
    Posted By: Pedro HodeckerActually, that's a pretty good theory. I was really hoping that Mutt would produce it, i hope it happens. I like Brendan, his vision of AC/DC really works, they should work together

Ugh no. Brendan is the worst producer they've ever worked with, and yes, I'm including Mal and Ang. At least FOTW wasn't brickwalled and harsh as fuck with the cymbals.
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jul 16th 2019

Would love that to be true, but not a chance.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jul 16th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: Pedro HodeckerActually, that's a pretty good theory. I was really hoping that Mutt would produce it, i hope it happens. I like Brendan, his vision of AC/DC really works, they should work together

Ugh no. Brendan is the worst producer they've ever worked with, and yes, I'm including Mal and Ang. At least FOTW wasn't brickwalled and harsh as fuck with the cymbals.

Brendan O'Brien isn't doing anything any other rock producer hasn't been doing since the mid 90's with regards to dynamic compression.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jul 16th 2019

Posted By: Grim177

Brendan O'Brien isn't doing anything any other rock producer hasn't been doing since the mid 90's with regards to dynamic compression.

BI has a slightly brittle, metallic edge to it at times, but I love the sound of ROB. I don't like the fiddling about and effects, but the core sounds are great to my wine-soaked ears.

Rubin didn't do it with BB and Young didn't do it with SUL. And "everyone else does it' is no excuse anyway.

Posted By: 900
    BI has a slightly brittle, metallic edge to it at times, but I love the sound of ROB. I don't like the fiddling about and effects, but the core sounds are great to my wine-soaked ears.

True, ROB was better as I recall. I'll have to give it another spin and pay more attention.
    Posted By: flattusmaximusI would say all the photos of them not being in Vancouver is evidence enough.

lmao... they could be doubles, though...

yeaaahh... no one thought of that theory because it makes no sense, lol
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jul 17th 2019

Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: flattusmaximusI would say all the photos of them not being in Vancouver is evidence enough.

lmao... they could be doubles, though...

yeaaahh... no one thought of that theory because it makes no sense, lol

Posted By: savsavIt would be nice if the album delay was due to -

They just put the raw tracks down in Vancouver
    Angus has spent a few months working on great guitar solos with a little thought put into them .
    Brian has spent a couple of months penning the lyrics and recording them

I know in reality this is not the case but it would be have been interesting

It's supposed to be RnR, not classical music. Leave taking months to write a solo to pretentious wankers like Steve Vai, and let Angus play them as he always has.

More than ever AC/DC have adhered to the principle of brevity in recording. Possibly due, in part, to negative experiences in recording BB and FTATR.
    •  
    • Jul 17th 2019

Rubin didn't do it with BB and Young didn't do it with SUL. And "everyone else does it' is no excuse anyway.

Although you evidently haven't noticed, both of the albums you have sited are also heavily dynamically compressed.

http://dr.loudness-w...

Nobody needs an "excuse", it's been standard practice with the vast majority of popular music for the last quarter of a century.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jul 17th 2019

It's supposed to be RnR, not classical music. Leave taking months to write a solo to pretentious wankers like Steve Vai, and let Angus play them as he always has.

RnR can be planned FFS . I'm not talking months but I for one would not mind a little structure back in Angus's guitar solos .
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jul 17th 2019

Posted By: savsavIt's supposed to be RnR, not classical music. Leave taking months to write a solo to pretentious wankers like Steve Vai, and let Angus play them as he always has.

RnR can be planned FFS . I'm not talking months but I for one would not mind a little structure back in Angus's guitar solos .

As AC/DC have taken longer to actually write albums, this has been met with a generally-agreed decline in their quality. I mean, we all have our pet tracks from the latter era, but none of them will ever truly stand up to BiB, HtH or Powerage. Now, I'm not saying that a short overall production period would lead to another truly classic album, because huge factors are also youth and hunger, but I don't think that taking longer to actually record the thing goes in their favour. It just bogs things down.

And another thing with the guitar solos is that a guitar solo can never be great unless the song is great. And if Angus takes years to come up with filler like GSRnRT, then taking extra time to come up with a more interesting guitar solo for it is time wasted. But if he writes a corker, then anything he does off the cuff lead-wise (within reason) will sound fantastic.
    BI was a good album better sounding than ROB with more classics. RNRT, BJ, SMD, MM, SOF, SFAF. ROB was good but Mal's input for production was missing. And GSRnRT is not filler it's a good track that you could crank if it was not compressed. I don't know what it is about ROB but after each chorus of the songs the sound starts to sound like mush.
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Jul 17th 2019

Although you evidently haven't noticed, both of the albums you have sited are also heavily dynamically compressed.

Nobody needs an "excuse", it's been standard practice with the vast majority of popular music for the last quarter of a century.

Unless you're a muscian with trained ears, or an audiophile, you wouldn't notice it.
    Black Ice sounds like shit when loud, the way Phil's cymbals are mixed is way to sharp. Have listened to on many different systems and it can lead to ear fatigue after a while. Have to dial back the treble to soften it a bit, brick walled to shit.
    •  
    • Jul 18th 2019

Posted By: Nachos73Unless you're a muscian with trained ears, or an audiophile, you wouldn't notice it.

Although you might not know what it is, that doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't notice it. I can remember wondering why when listening to the 2003 BIB remaster (when it was new) on earphones I wanted to turn it down, as it felt like it was giving me a headache. And that was never the case with an old early pressing of that CD from the 80's. Of course if you've grown up only listening to music mastered in the same way you wouldn't notice as you've never known any different.
    Posted By: Nachos73

Unless you're a muscian with trained ears, or an audiophile, you wouldn't notice it.

So you need trained ears to know when your ears are hurting when you turn up Desth Matnetic to not even 45-50% volume?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jul 18th 2019

Presumably you're neither?
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Jul 18th 2019

Posted By: Treehorn

I'm a bit of an audiophile.... I don't think I really critically listened to the albums.... Guess I have homework to do.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jul 18th 2019

Posted By: Treehorn

I'm a bit of an audiophile.... I don't think I really critically listened to the albums.... Guess I have homework to do.

I don't know, a few years back me and a few friends listened to a 1980 vinyl copy of BIB and the vinyl version you get now. Granted, the 1980 copy had been played a fair bit over the years but it almost sounded like two different records. I reckon most people would hear the difference in that, audiophile or no. Same with highly compressed albums, they sound horrible and tire the ears out.