To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jul 5th 2019

I was just thinking, whilst supping my scrumpy.... if a magic genie appeared and granted me the opportunity to hear just ONE AC/DC session, as in a previously unheard session, what would it be?

And then it came to me.... Brian's audition with the band. HOW FUCKING AWESOME would that be?

Anyway, back to the scrumpy...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jul 5th 2019

Posted By: DustDevilAnd then it came to me.... Brian's audition with the band. HOW FUCKING AWESOME would that be?

Yes, it would be:)
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bon's either;)
    Vancouver 2018 ;)

In all seriousness, it would probably be the LTBR session in which Angus' amp caught fire. Or, perhaps Brian's first take of whatever song he first recorded (does anybody know what it is?)
    The Eddie Kramer session in Miami 79
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jul 5th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinVancouver 2018 ;)

In all seriousness, it would probably be the LTBR session in which Angus' amp caught fire. Or, perhaps Brian's first take of whatever song he first recorded (does anybody know what it is?)

First song Brian recorded with the boys was YSMANL.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Jul 5th 2019 edited

SUL Tour rehearsals. Would love to hear how Touch too Much and Can't Stand Still sounded.
    Posted By: tomscotlandThe Eddie Kramer session in Miami 79
    Oooh, I forgot about those. I wonder just how different HTH would've sounded if they stuck with him.

Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinVancouver 2018 ;)

First song Brian recorded with the boys was YSMANL.
    Ah, good to know.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • Jul 5th 2019 edited

I would love to see the Powerage recording sessions... well any recording session really, but that one in particular would be special.
    I want to hear the Ballbreaker tour rehearsals. The supposed setlist is any fans wet dream.

Tons of songs you'd never ever expect from the non- Rudd era. Setlist at first sounds super un-real, however, given the fact Phil had just re-joined, it makes total sense that they would work through the older stuff and see what worked.

If it happened, this single rehearsal would be absolutely golden and awesome to hear.

Tour Rehearsals January 9th,1996

1) D.T.
    2) Chase the Ace
    3) Rock and Roll Damnation
    4) The Furor
    5) The Honey Roll
    6) Caught with Your Pants Down
    7) Whiskey on the Rocks
    8) Riff Raff
    9) Gone Shootin'
    10) What's Next to the Moon
    11) Sin City
    12) Fire Your Guns
    13) Moneytalks
    14) Heatseeker
    15) Who Made Who
    16) What Do You Do for Money Honey
    17) Rocker
    18) Bad Boy Boogie
    19) Go Down
    20) High Voltage
    21) Big Gun

The only stretches to me seem to be the instrumentals, but for rehearsals those would be good to jam too.

Imagine those tracks with Phil.... Who Made Who was great in that one off gig at the beginning of the tour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 6th 2019

I would like to hear the first mix of FOTS that allegedly had too much of a BIB sound.
    The elusive 'Hard On' which George said was great, apparently played at the BUYV and Razor's Edge sessions (?)

But this may have evolved into Stiff Upper Lip (that's my theory anyway)
    All of the back in black sessions

Brian’s audition version of nut bush and Rosie would also be up there.
    The earlier version of Flick they discarded.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • Jul 6th 2019

Was it FOTW or FOTS that according to Mal had too much of a BIB sound?
    Posted By: FreoBoyWas it FOTW or FOTS that according to Mal had too much of a BIB sound?

Flick
    Largo '81 (both nights) in the same quality as the three songs that were released as B-sides.

Don't know if that even exists though.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jul 7th 2019

Bon rehearsing with Mal and Ang pre BIB.
    The earlier version of Flick.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Jul 7th 2019

I would love to be a "fly on the wall" for anything they did.
    The final recording session at Vancouver...
    Posted By: DustDevil
    And then it came to me.... Brian's audition with the band. HOW FUCKING AWESOME would that be?

Frankly, probably not as awesome as you're thinking, since he was totally unfamiliar with the band and material and a bundle of nerves, surely.

Posted By: nitroangus23I want to hear the Ballbreaker tour rehearsals. The supposed setlist is any fans wet dream.

Tons of songs you'd never ever expect from the non- Rudd era. Setlist at first sounds super un-real, however, given the fact Phil had just re-joined, it makes total sense that they would work through the older stuff and see what worked.

If it happened, this single rehearsal would be absolutely golden and awesome to hear.

Tour Rehearsals January 9th,1996.

I would love to believe that list, but no fucking way. They never touched DT or Chase on the WMW tour, why would they suddenly bring it back an entire decade later? Also, the fact that they hardly played anything from Phil's absence on that tour suggests that they felt it would be insulting to him to have to play a lot of that material.
    I hear you man, but this is for make believe right? Who knows what they did with Rudd. I mentioned in my post both instrumentals were the biggest "no way" songs, but I bet they did rehearse a lot with him before they ended up sticking with just Thunderstruck.

If you compare the list to setlists of the time and before, it's easily possible.

1) D.T. (least likely)
    2) Chase the Ace (least likely)
    3) Rock and Roll Damnation (They were digging from Powerage at that time, as seen and heard on the tour and Vh-1 rehearsals,not an insane choice.)
    4) The Furor (New track from current album, totally possible.)
    5) The Honey Roll (New track from current album, totally possible.)
    6) Caught with Your Pants Down (New track from current album, totally possible.)
    6) Whiskey on the Rocks (New track from current album, totally possible.)
    6) Riff Raff (Powerage, done at Vh-1 studios, very possible)
    9) Gone Shootin' (Also Powerage/Vh-1)
    10) What's Next to the Moon (Powerage, done later on with Phil, still possible.)
    11) Sin City (Powerage, big hit live and a staple in the 80's and 90's)
    12) Fire Your Guns (Previous tour live track, less likely I suppose considering it is nothing like Phil's style.)
    13) Moneytalks (Huge radio hit, second biggest song from previous record, I would bet it was played with Phil at some point.)
    14) Heatseeker (Big hit off of Video, played on 2 tours before, very likely played.)
    15) Who Made Who (Was actually played with Phil then dropped at start of BB tour, no doubt it was played.)
    16) What Do You Do for Money Honey (BIB track, easy to imagine being tried.)
    17) Rocker (Live staple in the late 70's early 80's before Phil departed, easy to assume they brought out some tracks they hadn't done much since he left.)
    18) Bad Boy Boogie (Classic live track, easy to imagine it as well.)
    19) Go Down (Also done at Vh-1, very likely.)
    20) High Voltage (Very likely, setlist regular through out 80's and previous tour.)
    21) Big Gun (Hit single and the most recent, not a stretch they toyed with playing it live on what would have been the first tour since it was released.)

So, we have a bunch of songs that were setlist staples during the 80's,with and without Phil, some Powerage and LTBR era tunes that align right up with the mindset they were in at that time, (throwback) and tons of tracks from Ballbreaker. 2 Simon era tracks,one that they for sure played with Phil,and 3 popular tracks from the previous album/era.

Take the instrumentals out and you still have a set of pretty believable tracks.
    I just want to hear what is going on NOW
    I agree with Nitro, most of that rehearsal setlist looks possible to me.

I wish they would have kept a couple more songs from the 86-93 era when Phil returned. Those albums were commercially successful so I've never understood why they were in such a hurry to drop them. I get that Phil didn't play on them, but I find it very unlikely he had much influence on the setlist.
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Jul 8th 2019

Posted By: CANADAI would love to be a "fly on the wall" for anything they did.

Very well done! :-)
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Jul 8th 2019

I'd be curious to hear what they were playing just their first album came out.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jul 9th 2019

Posted By: Nachos73I'd be curious to hear what they were playing just their first album came out.

Me too....

She's Got Balls
    Soul Stripper
    Rock 'n' Roll Singer
    Show Business
    That's Alright (Mama)
    Heartbreak Hotel
    Jailhouse Rock
    School Days
    Love Song
    Can I Sit Next To You Girl
    Honky Tonk Women
    Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Little Lover
    Stick Around
    You Ain't Got A Hold On Me
    Baby Please Don't Go
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot

Frankly, probably not as awesome as you're thinking, since he was totally unfamiliar with the band and material and a bundle of nerves, surely.

Posted By: nitroangus23I want to hear the Ballbreaker tour rehearsals. The supposed setlist is any fans wet dream.

I would love to believe that list, but no fucking way. They never touched DT or Chase on the WMW tour, why would they suddenly bring it back an entire decade later? Also, the fact that they hardly played anything from Phil's absence on that tour suggests that they felt it would be insulting to him to have to play a lot of that material.

He must’ve done a pretty good job to impress the young brothers the way he did.
    I think it would’ve been off it’s fucking tits. Spine tingling shit
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jul 9th 2019

Here's the thing: if Phil had remained in the band right throughout the 80s, Angus and Malcolm would still have written the same music, and the music written was virtually all designed to be played along to a Phil Rudd style. That's how the interregnum drummers were told to play, more or less. If anything, Phil being asked to play, say, SYF, would not have been an insult at all, rather it would have been the chance, finally, to hear how that song *should* have sounded.

It was just shitty close-mindedness on the part of the band, because at the very least SYF and TTWIWRnR were solid hits for the band.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jul 9th 2019

Posted By: magpies1990_77

He must’ve done a pretty good job to impress the young brothers the way he did.
    I think it would’ve been off it’s fucking tits. Spine tingling shit

I have to agree with you. Listen to the version of Nutbush that Brian did at the Sunday For Sammy show and then imagine that voice a quarter of a century earlier with the young brothers on guitar.
    Also, they obviously thought he did a better job than all the other applicants and apparently, there were some big guns that auditioned.
    Phil plays whatever he is told to, him being insulted is akin to skipping
    anything from LTBR or HV cause Cliff would take offense since he didn’t play on those records.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 9th 2019 edited

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotFrankly, probably not as awesome as you're thinking, since he was totally unfamiliar with the band and material and a bundle of nerves, surely.
    I heard an interview around the time of the release of TRE in where Brian was stating that they did Whole Lotta Rosie during the audition. Apparently Geordie also played it sometimes in their set so he knew the song. But Geordie played the song very fast. So Brian stopped halfway through Rosie and said: Guys, you are playing it too slow!. Y&Y looked at him like; who is this cheeky monkey? How does he has the nerves to tell us!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Jul 15th 2019

I wanna hear Bon singing "you don't treat me no good no more" by Sonja Dada.
    It would sound awesome, and its right in his range...
    I thought about this after hearing "round and round", as it has some similar melodic phrasing.