To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

What makes them decide to do them? What's the deciding factor - money? Acclaim?
    How come sometimes they have their own stage, but don't at others, like Download v Coachella. How much did they get paid for Coachella for them not to say we want our own stage?
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jul 5th 2019

I would love to know more about this too...likely some of the more connected people on this forum have some insight into this...but I imagine there is no "magic formula"...possibly based on other global dates and being able to get around the globe in an economically feasible manner, previous festivals (so if you have headlined, say, Donington in pervious few years zero chance Donington would want you back) , logistics of current set (bell, cannons, train, Rosie...ability to fit these on a generic stage). I imagine also money plays a big part...the band will want $X, the festival will offer $Y. If Y < X then no deal. A logical festival organiser would I imagine pimp around the management of several bands to secure the best deal.

But all the above is guesswork.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jul 5th 2019

Well, first and foremost, money.

In the Coachella case, I think they also viewed it as a dress rehearsal of sorts. And that was the right way to go about it.
    I think Jon is completely on the money. Coachella’s show wasn’t nearly as fleshed out in terms of stage up set up as the rest of the tour, so it was probably just to test the waters with Chris and Stevie.
    Or the circumstances are right, as in SARSSTOCK.
    Also, to reach out to larger audiences seems like making sense.
    These days looks like Glastonbury is a megatron of publicity. Couldn't see them doing it for 200k though!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Jul 7th 2019 edited

i dont think festivals are a big deal anymore..certainly not to wethered bands.....all part of the touring routine..

to be fair, and i know ive been spoiled..bit ive grown tired of stupid big stadium / festival rock..little men with big screens..if im not down the front to shrink the gig for me,,then i dont go..im not sitting at the back watching a telly for 200 quid
    Posted By: angus1878i dont think festivals are a big deal anymore..certainly not to wethered bands.....all part of the touring routine..

to be fair, and i know ive been spoiled..bit ive grown tired of stupid big stadium / festival rock..little men with big screens..if im not down the front to shrink the gig for me,,then i dont go..im not sitting at the back watching a telly for 200 quid

But me and you...at the bar...party time! Adventures!
    Download (old Donington) always wanted them back. I saw some figure of the salary, and that was massive. Don´t know if it was true, but it was probably quite a lot more than the usual stadium earning for the band.