To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Got a bit inspired by the thread of the great Stevie Ray Vaughan there, How about some really good guitarists that are somewhat forgotten or just simply quite underrated. Well there are a few ;-)

I got one here, Steve Stevens. He is truly great.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jun 21st 2019

Rory Gallagher and Michael Schenker don't get talked about enough when the greats come up in conversation.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jun 21st 2019 edited

Posted By: azelRory Gallagher and Michael Schenker don't get talked about enough when the greats come up in conversation.
    Both are top notch and the real rock music lovers give them enough credit i think. But Schenker more than Gallagher because Schenker played in the more mainstream popular hardrock groups. Gallagher is more in the blues/country(rock) spectrum. But he is a diamond.

About underrated guitarists. There can only be one: Lindsey Buckingham.

And a "one man acoustic" version of Big Love that is jaw-dropping:

From 4:30 on it's all tone and feel heaven:

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jun 21st 2019

Posted By: azelMichael Schenker

I think he's very highly regarded, but perhaps held-back a bit by not having been in great bands. Personal opinion but I love Assault Attack but not really into any other albums he's on.

As a player though, an all-time great. Incredible note selection and technique, unique sound and style.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Jun 21st 2019

All sadly underrated

• AC/DC rock music: ianbigmac
    • Jun 21st 2019 edited

This is phenomenal. Duckwalking and climbing amps before Angus. This fucking ROCKS!

• AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jun 21st 2019

I have seen Tommy Emmanuel a few times live. Just an amazing guitarist and a top bloke to boot . Wish I had seen Rory Gallagher live . I do have quite few of his DVD’s . great player .
    Posted By: savsavI have seen Tommy Emmanuel a few times live. Just an amazing guitarist and a top bloke to boot . Wish I had seen Rory Gallagher live . I do have quite few of his DVD’s . great player .

savsav Tommy Emmanuel is just jawdroppingly brilliant. You just have to ask any guitar player
    • Jun 21st 2019

Warren DeMartini is someone who plays a fantastic solo on every song. Perhaps not 'underrated', he's been on the front of the guitar magazines and things, but with his era long gone he maybe deserves more credit.

Mathias Jabs is cool, on Blackout he had not two but four enormous shoes to fill, and yet instead of trying to show-off all his technique, he played classy, measured solos all over that album. He's done plenty of good stuff since, though he did get worms later on which affected his sound..

George Lynch, those who know, know he's fantastic, but perhaps the Dokken association has meant not enough people have heard the guy.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jun 21st 2019 edited

The Treeman. His will to succeed is remarkable and must not be underrated.

• AC/DC rock music: Kamikaze
    • Jun 21st 2019

• AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jun 21st 2019

Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: savsavI have seen Tommy Emmanuel a few times live. Just an amazing guitarist and a top bloke to boot . Wish I had seen Rory Gallagher live . I do have quite few of his DVD’s . great player .

savsav Tommy Emmanuel is just jawdroppingly brilliant. You just have to ask any guitar player

Yes , he’s outstanding . Not had the fame or acknowledgment he deserves. A good clip to watch is when he played a duet with Les Paul at his club . Halfway through the song Les turns to him and says something along the lines of “ I see you waited until I was 90 years old before you dared to play with me “

. While we are on the underrated guitarist Les Paul was pretty good !
    Frank Zappa the legendary singer/songwriter was also a great guitarist.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jubaluba
    • Jun 22nd 2019

More people should know who Roy was.
    • AC/DC rock music: Damo
    • Jun 22nd 2019

Lemmy said Kelly Johnson from Girlschool could beat anyone on her day.
    • Jun 22nd 2019

Cornley Mellowstone had a great blend of blues, rock and jazz, with fantastic vibrato. Deserves more exposure.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jun 22nd 2019 edited

Frank Hannon. Talked to him recently. A very sympathetic person also. This solo is at approx. 5:00.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: jubaluba
    • Jun 22nd 2019

Danny Gatton, a bottle and a towel.

Jack Pearson and a Squier Bullet
    Posted By: DamoLemmy said Kelly Johnson from Girlschool could beat anyone on her day.

Now that's fucking funny
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Jul 3rd 2019 edited

This guy is sensational....he plays the guitar parts, the bass lines, and even the vocal melody, all at the same time on one guitar. Wow!

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Jul 3rd 2019 edited

....and another one. Watch the bit where he does the handclaps.

Myles Kennedy know as a singer but can also play

Rory, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Richard Thompson, Kossoff, John Martyn...music guys like us, we rate them, study them, we worship them...but to your average “Joe” they are severely under appreciated.
    These motherfuckers wax lyrical about dirge-merchants like Knopfler and Clapton* and have little or no understanding as to why they actually like them. It’s populist mediocrity.

*for the record, knopfler and clapton have obviously also been responsible for a lot of not-dirges.
    TONY FUCKING BOURGE

• AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Jul 4th 2019

Peter Tolson

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Jul 4th 2019 edited

Sometimes you don't even need to be a famous rock star, the talent you have will shine anyway

Check this guy out:

Amazing playing

Superb technique

One of the most complex solos to perform

Got feeling
    Geordie of Killing Joke. Nary a single solo I know of but brilliant writing across a multitude of genres and soundscapes: from jangly and melodic to angular and aggressive. From atmospheric to intensely rhythmic.

One of my fave KJ tracks. I go savage to this on a dance floor...

• Jul 5th 2019

Posted By: RikhaSometimes you don't even need to be a famous rock star, the talent you have will shine anyway

Check this guy out:

Amazing playing

That guy is fantastic, his technique opens up all sorts of note selection ideas, with incredible melodies all over the place.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jul 6th 2019 edited

By what means are these guitarists underrated? Inclusion in popular media rankings? What exactly are the rankings ranking? Commercial success in conjunction with skills? What is the measure of success and skills? Do the underrated guitarists feel they are underrated? I can go on like this. The gist of my nub is, knowing nothing else than what I can conclude from the candidates proposed in this thread, they clearly appear to be highly rated and succesful.
    Don't know if he's underrated but he's great.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: TKO
    • Jul 6th 2019

I will third Michael Schenker and throw in Mick Box of Uriah Heep.
    Albert Järvinen

Posted By: marcinhaBy what means are these guitarists underrated? Inclusion in popular media rankings? What exactly are the rankings ranking? Commercial success in conjunction with skills? What is the measure of success and skills? Do the underrated guitarists feel they are underrated? I can go on like this. The gist of my nub is, knowing nothing else than what I can conclude from the candidates proposed in this thread, they clearly appear to be highly rated and succesful.

I only have one thing to say to you, i hope you understand.
    WNA?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jul 7th 2019

Posted By: Wholelottatobe
    Posted By: marcinhaBy what means are these guitarists underrated? Inclusion in popular media rankings? What exactly are the rankings ranking? Commercial success in conjunction with skills? What is the measure of success and skills? Do the underrated guitarists feel they are underrated? I can go on like this. The gist of my nub is, knowing nothing else than what I can conclude from the candidates proposed in this thread, they clearly appear to be highly rated and succesful.

I only have one thing to say to you, i hope you understand.
    WNA?

Sir, yes Sir, it won't happen again!

he probably just pulled this out of his hat. still the greatest singer guitar slinger
    10 years and this will be 100 years old. and it will still be underrated

just one more for this good thread

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Jul 12th 2019

• AC/DC rock music: 0x13
    • Jul 12th 2019

Posted By: Gaolbreak

Same guy, Roy Clark - Malaguena

Same song on an acoustic: