To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Hendrix goes 2nd to this guy in my book
    Both technically unique and oozing with feeling.

This performance is dripping with feeling, just as his face is dripping with sweat.

His performance of this particular song is godlike

Indescribable, yet you'll understand completely if you just watch and listen!
    I’m with you man. So much feeling in Stevie’s playing, when I first heard Lenny I was stopped in my tracks. Been trying ever since to replicate his playing on it and I come nowhere near.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jun 20th 2019

He was an absolutely phenomenal guitarist and live performer, absolutely one of the very best of all time.

Amazing musicality, technique, and sheer aura.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Jun 20th 2019

Hendrix would my #1.
    Nigel Tufnel = Number one.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jun 20th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakNigel Tufnel = Number one.

It's close, it's either Nigel or Vim Fuego for me . Joking apart, Stevie Ray Vaughan is a top top guitarist .
    Buddy Guy is above those two in my books.
    One of the best blues guitarists for sure, his tone and feel is unmatched, but bit of a one trick pony you could say?
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jun 20th 2019

I don't have him in my No 1 slot but he was fantastic all the same.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jun 20th 2019

I’m not sure how you can judge “the greatest guitar player of all time” It should always be down to what your personal preference of what you like. I can sit , watch and appreciate Steve Vai’s amazing talent and knowledge of the scales and fretboard but I would not choose to listen to just the audio of it . If it’s technical guitarists you like then just have a look at some of the bedroom noodle guitarists on YouTube . Some insane guitar skills can be found on YouTube . I would argue for ever that Angus is the greatest guitarist of all time because, he is to me and always will be . Apart from Vim Fuego !
    For me, Malcolm Young is at No.1

But there is no ‘‘best’’ guitar player, it's just someone's personal taste.
    There are people who think Ed Sheeran is a great guitar player... just saying.
    Of course no definitive best can exist, but out of sheer musicality and the magic around him, he might be my top pick.

I should’ve been more specific, but I’m talking solely about those factors here. He is relatively lacking in the songwriting department, given his short career and him being a bit more of a traditional blues soloist with a backing band instead of a full blown band that produces albums, such as ACDC.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Jun 20th 2019

Posted By: AC/DC-ROCKERFor me, Malcolm Young is at No.1

But there is no ‘‘best’’ guitar player, it's just someone's personal taste.
    There are people who think Ed Sheeran is a great guitar player... just saying.

I never thought Kurt Cobain was much of a guitarist, but he usually ends up on a lot of "best/greatest" guitarist lists.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan was an incredible guitarist and performer. His cover of "Let Me Love You Baby" is an all-time favorite of mine. But there are many, many more, too many great songs to list.

Another great guitarist was BB King. His play showed that sometimes less is more. Fantastic.
    Skydog has to be considered as one of the greatest.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jun 20th 2019 edited

Posted By: savsav
    Vim Fuego for me .

NOW you're talking.
    Rory Gallagher.
    Fame over.
    • Jun 20th 2019

It's a great post by MC Penguin.

Take SRV's cover of Little Wing, for example. He totally respected Hendrix' amazingly cool original version, yet somehow totally put his own stamp on it too.

Stevie was an absolute demon of a guitar player.
    SRV was good but he put blues back 50 years. So many guitar players tryed to be him that we lost a generation of players. In truth he was a Hendrix and a Albert king fishionato.

Here is the original Texas flood

Johnny Winter watch how he solos and all the chords he plays in this song and sings

Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinJohnny Winter watch how he solos and all the chords he plays in this song and sings

What SRV did in the 80's to bring blues back to the mainstream should not be forgotten. ZZ Top was buried in synths, and I have no interest in listening to Clapton's 80's stuff. Robert Cray though put out some great material.

I agree so many have tried sounding like Stevie, which makes some modern blues difficult to listen to because all I can hear is SRV. That being said, he was an incredibly fluid player with lighting fast runs. I don't know if I'd call him a one trick pony, I think that primal attack kind of works to his advantage. But at the end of the day I'll end up going with Billy Gibbons for my Texas blues.
    Gary Moore for me everyday. He was so bloody amazing, and he played in most genres. I know he seldom is mentioned as one of the really true greats. But he SHOULD be there easily.
    In the town I grew up in norwich Connecticut there used to be a thing on the local green called the rose arts festival
    Friday night was beer night , Saturdays live bands and Sundays a pancake breakfast
    It was a huge tent set up and about 2000 people would fit under it , as a kid in the 80s all kinds of somewhat big name acts played there , Molly hatchet , reo speedwagon , 38 special , max creek , among others
    One night around 87/88 I rode my bicycle up to the area on the road behind the stage and sat there absolutely mesmerized by the most incredibly loud and perfect blues licks I ever heard
    The next day I took my paper route money and bought a cheap electric guitar with built in amp and started playing
    It was indeed SRV playing that night
    I will never forget hearing him play
    Thanks to this thread I remembered my favorite SRV song that I'd forgotten completely: Dirty Pool!

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jun 21st 2019 edited

One of the best known protégés of Texas Blues. He has a unique sound that is instantly recognizable.
    That alone makes a guitar player extraordinary. Not my number one but i like some of his songs. Especially Scuttle Buttin'
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jun 21st 2019

Rory.
    Posted By: 900It's a great post by MC Penguin.

Take SRV's cover of Little Wing, for example. He totally respected Hendrix' amazingly cool original version, yet somehow totally put his own stamp on it too.

Stevie was an absolute demon of a guitar player.
    Thanks! Both him and Hendrix had styles that are nearly impossible to accurately replicate. You could only imagine them playing together..

Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinSRV was good but he put blues back 50 years. So many guitar players tryed to be him that we lost a generation of players. In truth he was a Hendrix and a Albert king fishionato.

Here is the original Texas flood

As for this, I would say that a lot of the blues’ progression happened in genres that used it as a starting point, such as rock and metal most notably. So while flat out, unadulterated blues has stayed somewhat stagnant, other genres that heavily incorporate it have brought it to new levels.
    • Jun 22nd 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinThanks! Both him and Hendrix had styles that are nearly impossible to accurately replicate.

Yes!

SRV had amazing technique, and didn't play the same way as other guys with similar style.

As for Jimi, where do you start? Totally unique. Used to irritate me way back, when after the pub when we watched videos, friends would see some crazy, messy performance like Isle of Wight and I'd be going 'no, no - you've got to listen to other stuff...listen to what he can do..."
    I've heard Angus say he is his fave or one of them.

Never personally got into it but I can tell by the reverence that, for that kind of music, he's one of the tops.
    • Jun 25th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI've heard Angus say he is his fave or one of them.

The solo that reminds me a little of SRV is in Can't Stand Still, has similar feel and attitude. And SRV had an absolute fuckton of attitude!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grocks
    • Jun 25th 2019

Great threat! THX!! Years ago, I was totally into SRVs music, my number one mentor. Even had one of those Fender SRV Signature Strats which I sold later on (me idiot!). Didn´t listen to him much in recent years, so it´s good to have somebody remind me of his genius... here´s a short solo of mine, dedicated to SRV from 2006:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jun 25th 2019

This one always make me happy. SRV shows how a 1:40 min song can be exiting

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Jun 25th 2019 edited

There's no such thing as "the greatest guitar player of all time". There are thousands of players all around the world including many that we haven't heard of. Each one of them have their own style, own approach, own technique (or lack of), so it's impossible narrowing down to just one. In their own way, all are great.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jun 25th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI've heard Angus say he is his fave or one of them.

Never personally got into it but I can tell by the reverence that, for that kind of music, he's one of the tops.

Never heard that before. Certainly spoken about Winter and Albert King, the latter you can certainly hear in Ang's work.
    I read an interview with Angus sometime in the mid-1990s. The magazine could even have been older since I borrowed it from a music library. In that interview he stated that he likes listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    Posted By: MeanstreakI read an interview with Angus sometime in the mid-1990s. The magazine could even have been older since I borrowed it from a music library. In that interview he stated that he likes listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Yes I remember this too.

Great player. Hard to ever say "the best", but he is one of the staples.
    What standards are we using to determine what "the best" means?

Who's to say that the best guitar player is even in the rock 'n' roll genre?

Doyle Dykes, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, and Les Paul are all considered top caliber players. Many more are listed above and SRV is certainly no slouch.

Music is art and therefore subjective.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jun 26th 2019

Posted By: Jack B. NimbleWhat standards are we using to determine what "the best" means?

Doyle Dykes, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, and Les Paul are all considered top caliber players. Many more are listed above and SRV is certainly no slouch.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to hear all the guitarists worth hearing, never mind having a qualified-enough opinion to judge who out of all those would be the best.

Steve Vai once said that he doesn't really give much notice to people who tell them he's the best guitar player, but likes when people tell him he's their favourite guitar player.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Jun 26th 2019

Posted By: Jack B. NimbleWhat standards are we using to determine what "the best" means?

I was about to say that. Agree 100%. You mentioned some really great ones. I can add for example Tommy Emmanuel who is from Chet Atkins' school of fingerpicking which he perfected and took to another level and is, in my book better player than Chet even though Chet was a pionir.
    I think from famous rock/blues guitar players no one can touch him. I heard him live, it was unreal how precise he is and what great tone he has with acoustic guitar.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Grocks
    • Aug 4th 2019

SRV @Ardent Memphis- that is some awesome footage!! THX for posting that one.
    • Aug 4th 2019

^Interesting clip, Meanstreak. The guy was so natural with a guitar, so in control. His advanced technique led to his expressive way of playing, he was able to create such interesting solos because he had such a range of things to dip into.
    SRV was good but then the King comes up and proves originality is what blues guitar playing is about. B.B. showed everyone up.