To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • Jun 16th 2019

https://pitchfork.co...

More a half-assed history lesson (especially to those here who know better) than an album review, I was actually surprised to see it. 8.8 out of 10 is actually higher than what I would expect from them, though obviously 1.2 points lower than what it should be.

"The record’s ultimate legacy comes less from the artists it influenced or even the songs that remain staples of whatever is left of commercial rock radio than in its confirmation that evolution can be an overrated quality. And, as ever, AC/DC were their own best messengers for this simple idea, laid bare in the final moments of their most famous work: “Rock’n’roll ain't no riddle, man.”
    It at least rings true as to what ACDC is. Anyone that doesn't understand them, or expects something more, should read this.
    I remember Sounds I think having the title of their review More songs about humping and booze lol
    Lots of bullshit I call in this, starting with them doubting it could be the band's best album:

"It might not necessarily be AC/DC’s best.... But it is their most album—most accessible, most successful, most enduring, most emblematic, and, given its genesis, most unlikely." Bullshit. Many great musicians claim it is the best hard rock album ever. And if you don't think it's AC/DC's best (say, because you prefer the mighty Poweage) you still have to recognize the argument that it can be seen as such.

"It was Mutt Lange who recommended Brian Johnson, lead singer of British glam band Geordie and owner of a cat-in-heat vocal register that was unlike anyone’s other than, as luck would have it, Bon Scott’s." Bullshit. Scott is a great, great singer but he does not have the same register as Brian.

"Bon Scott, a hard-partying, Scottish-born, impossible-voiced dynamo for whom the word impish was invented." Bon is in line for one of the greatest hard rock singers ever but he's not "impossible voiced" and he's not impish in the fuckin' least. Bullshit.

"Beyond the tens of millions of copies sold, it is easy to overlook the legacy of something like Back in Black. The album didn’t signify any sort of change or cultural marker; it instead proved the power of stasis, of doing something well, then doing it again but louder and with more money." Bullshit. Fans here know it's a lazy narrative that every AC/DC album is the same. They are similar and have enduring elements but they are not the same. And Back In Black was a step in the evolution of this band.

Sorry, when you review possibly the greatest hard rock album ever the writer and editor need to make the review free of... what's the word?... bullshit.
    I agree with all the criticism here, but considering that it was likely a bearded, millennial hipster who wrote the thing: it’s pretty good.
    Maybe a wee bit impish lol

impish meaning: inclined to do slightly naughty things for fun; mischievous."he had an impish look about him"
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoLots of bullshit I call in this, starting with them doubting it could be the band's best album:

But it’s not their best album - it’s their third best album :)
    1,797 words. One thousand, seven hundred and ninety-seven words.

And what does the "reviewer" talk about?

Much ado about the broad base of the band's fanbase. The historical context of the album, vis-a-vis the hiring of Mutt Lange. Bon Scott, the legendary singer who was not on the album in question. Johnson's recent history prior to joining the band and the audition process. Much is said about the lyrics of the album, because when we rock out to it, the words are first and foremost. The writer talks about Johnson's deference to the band's style. We get a bit about the bell. And it's back to the words, because, well, because they are the why we all love and respect the album so much. There's some jumping ahead to the next album. Then a bit about AC/DC's consistency throughout their careers. Then, finally, the legacy of Back In Black as more of the AC/DC same.

How much the 1,797 words actually refer to the the music of this opus? Let me tell you:

"The title track boasts nothing less than one of the most gloriously elemental riffs ever devised—the perfection of the form, the ne plus ultra of jock jams"

Referencing "You Shook Me All Night Long"": "It was a pure, melodic sing-along..."

"Hells Bells” opens the album with the clanging of the one-ton iron bell the band had custom-made to bring on tour, but that is as mournful as things get. Johnson howls, 'You’re only young but you’re gonna die...'"

"'Have a Drink on Me,' a gleeful ode to getting absolutely hammered..."

"'Givin’ the Dog a Bone' is half an entendre short of a double entendre but thanks to its big, fat chorus of layered background vocals..."

" The music does not feel of any time or place; it means now what it meant then." Again, he refers to the "music" but the end of this line goes back to "meaning" and likely references the words.

I'm fucking tired of this bullshit. I've had a shit day and going back to this article doesn't help. All of this bullshit, the cascading, beard-wearing, literary-criticism turned to music reviewing, BULLSHIT is too much.

1,797 words and all this jackass can offer about the actual fuckin' MUSIC of one of the most revered rock albums ever is the title track has a "gloriously elemental riff" and the biggest hit is a "melodic sing-along." Oh yes, a bell clangs and another song is "gleeful" in tone.

FUCK OFF. I've had enough.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoLots of bullshit I call in this, starting with them doubting it could be the band's best album:

"It might not necessarily be AC/DC’s best.... But it is their most album—most accessible, most successful, most enduring, most emblematic, and, given its genesis, most unlikely." Bullshit. Many great musicians claim it is the best hard rock album ever. And if you don't think it's AC/DC's best (say, because you prefer the mighty Poweage) you still have to recognize the argument that it can be seen as such.

"It was Mutt Lange who recommended Brian Johnson, lead singer of British glam band Geordie and owner of a cat-in-heat vocal register that was unlike anyone’s other than, as luck would have it, Bon Scott’s." Bullshit. Scott is a great, great singer but he does not have the same register as Brian.

"Bon Scott, a hard-partying, Scottish-born, impossible-voiced dynamo for whom the word impish was invented." Bon is in line for one of the greatest hard rock singers ever but he's not "impossible voiced" and he's not impish in the fuckin' least. Bullshit.

"Beyond the tens of millions of copies sold, it is easy to overlook the legacy of something like Back in Black. The album didn’t signify any sort of change or cultural marker; it instead proved the power of stasis, of doing something well, then doing it again but louder and with more money." Bullshit. Fans here know it's a lazy narrative that every AC/DC album is the same. They are similar and have enduring elements but they are not the same. And Back In Black was a step in the evolution of this band.

Sorry, when you review possibly the greatest hard rock album ever the writer and editor need to make the review free of... what's the word?... bullshit.

Jesus Christ, dude...

I'm pretty sure he means impossibly good voiced. It seems like you are generally holding him to the standard of absolute devotion of a fan like yourself. He said it *might* not *necessarily* be their best... how many more qualifiers does he need on that?

Come on, let's have some perspective here.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jun 18th 2019 edited

Posted By: Alex Lebanon

But it’s not their best album - it’s their third best album :)

LOL
    I think we can probably ALL agree that it's definitely in the Top 3 :)
    I don't care much for reviews from so called music critics. I never have and never will. It's just their opinion and it's no gospel as to whether the album is as good or as bad as they say it is. Back In Black is not my personal favourite AC/DC album but that's just a taste/opinion thing. Although it's certainly one of my favourite AC/DC albums and I recognise that it's an epic album. Fans who never lived through the 70's and early 80's or were too young to remember those times have no idea how much AC/DC were ignored by the popular music scene in the USA and even to some extent in the UK, whilst they had been commercially successful in Australia for many years dating back to 1974. The USA popular music scene in particular never really took much notice of AC/DC as much as they should have, not until Back In Black did they really show munch interest although Highway to Hell had some success in the USA. The fact that Back In Black peaked at #2 on the US charts and not at #1 is one good example. Not to mention AC/DC being snubbed at the popular music awards through much of their career.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jun 21st 2019

Posted By: Brads AC/DCNot to mention AC/DC being snubbed at the popular music awards through much of their career.

^Which is perfectly fine. They never needed this nonsense:)

Pretty much agree with all your points, though.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jun 21st 2019

AC/DC have never really gotten their due recognition as a Rock band of importance in the same way that Led Zeppelin, The Who and Queen get it. When you watch all those BBC Rock docs narrated by the likes of Lauren Laverne, it's always, "Whole Lotta Love. Phwooahhh! What a Riff! Does Another Brick in the Wall pt II contain the greatest guitar solo ever written? We think so. Does it get any more boogie-woogie than Tie Your Mother Down? And, oh yes AC/DC. Something something Thunderstruck."

"Bonzo!

Mooney!

They weren't just rock 'n' rollers. They elevated the art form!

Lol, Phil who?"
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jun 21st 2019

Posted By: Brads AC/DCI don't care much for reviews from so called music critics. I never have and never will. It's just their opinion and it's no gospel as to whether the album is as good or as bad as they say it is. Back In Black is not my personal favourite AC/DC album but that's just a taste/opinion thing. Although it's certainly one of my favourite AC/DC albums and I recognise that it's an epic album. Fans who never lived through the 70's and early 80's or were too young to remember those times have no idea how much AC/DC were ignored by the popular music scene in the USA and even to some extent in the UK, whilst they had been commercially successful in Australia for many years dating back to 1974. The USA popular music scene in particular never really took much notice of AC/DC as much as they should have, not until Back In Black did they really show munch interest although Highway to Hell had some success in the USA. The fact that Back In Black peaked at #2 on the US charts and not at #1 is one good example. Not to mention AC/DC being snubbed at the popular music awards through much of their career.

If memory serves me right it didn't even go to #2 but only to #4.

And don't get me started at how Australia disowned the boys in the late 70s :-P
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jun 22nd 2019 edited

A shit review from a pompous jerk, basically.
    Posted By: MeanstreakA shit review from a pompous jerk, basically.

its just some guy with an opinion. Just like all of us here I s'pose
    Posted By: carlos fandango
    Posted By: MeanstreakA shit review from a pompous jerk, basically.

its just some guy with an opinion. Just like all of us here I s'pose

You are right I s'pose. May have been a bit hard on the guy. His statement about the music being timeless brings something to the table:

"The music does not feel of any time or place; it means now what it meant then".
    I'd love to hear a real fan write two thousand words focused mostly on the MUSIC and performances of this great album. Fuck the history lesson, pontificating and bullshit literary critic analysis of lyrics.

This band and that album is fucking predicated on out of this world music writing and performances.