To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

I've never heard or watched the original version of No Bull. By the time I got around to buying it the Director's Cut was already out. Is the original worth getting?
    Posted By: ShootToThrillI've never heard or watched the original version of No Bull. By the time I got around to buying it the Director's Cut was already out. Is the original worth getting?

For the sake of having it I would say so, it is different enough to warrant owning both I think. Different angles and sound is way different.
    Posted By: ShootToThrillI've never heard or watched the original version of No Bull. By the time I got around to buying it the Director's Cut was already out. Is the original worth getting?

In my humble opinion yes. But i had the original VHS and played it to death for several years. As Matirocker says the audio quality is much better on the Directors cut. But if you get the original cheap yes. You will understand what we are talking about here. I was let down watching it when i was expecting some cool caps. Like that intro in Shoot to thrill. WTF!! There should be some duckwalk outside that base drum ffs!!
    Thanks fellas.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jun 29th 2019

Posted By: Wholelottatobe

In my humble opinion yes. But i had the original VHS and played it to death for several years. As Matirocker says the audio quality is much better on the Directors cut. But if you get the original cheap yes. You will understand what we are talking about here. I was let down watching it when i was expecting some cool caps. Like that intro in Shoot to thrill. WTF!! There should be some duckwalk outside that base drum ffs!!

Ang's reflection in the bass drum's got to be one of my favorite scenes ever.
    Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: Wholelottatobe

Ang's reflection in the bass drum's got to be one of my favorite scenes ever.

That single shot is Mallets career highpoint!
    Where is that shot?
    I haven’t watched my VHS version for years but I remember the end of Rosie being amazing with Angus thrashing his head about as the camera was looking at him from the bass drum or something like that but they changed that awesome shot in the directors cut for some reason and it just isn’t as good.

• AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jul 1st 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotWhere is that shot?

It's in the VHS version of No Bull. Wholelottatobe just posted it. It's just a about 1 or 2 seconds long shot at the beginning of STT.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jul 1st 2019

Wasn't there interference on one of the cameras on the original cut?
    Is it me, or do the guitars sound more powerful in the original mix? Either way, Angus' tone was definitely too clean at that show.
    Magpie brings up a valid point about it being the only one yet to turn up on Blu ray.

I still can't get my head around No Bull's sound. It could have been so much more.
    SUL 2001 was the first time I saw the band live: nose-bleed seats in Minneapolis, and then 13th row on the floor a few days later in Los Angeles. The LA show was awesome--shook Brian's hand three times as he worked the ramp. He even took a swig of beer from some guy's cup. BBB blew me away!

My neck was sore for days after the shows, and my ears were ringing. At breakfast the morning after the LA show, my friends and I could barely hear each other across the table.

Loved "Get It Hot" live, too. Brian and Angus were rocking out together in the last phase of the song.

A damn awesome tour!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Posted By: NukethrowerLoved "Get It Hot" live, too. Brian and Angus were rocking out together in the last phase of the song.

The rare time when they play "Get it hot" and they don't include it on the DVD...*sigh
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Posted By: DrBelford
    Posted By: NukethrowerLoved "Get It Hot" live, too. Brian and Angus were rocking out together in the last phase of the song.

The rare time when they play "Get it hot" and they don't include it on the DVD...*sigh

The ONLY time but it did include UTMNIY, PC and WDYDFMH.

I remember when GIH started up at Wembley Arena (I didn't know the set in advance) it actually took me quite awhile before I clicked what song it was. It was just so completely unexpected.
    •  
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Posted By: Grim177it actually took me quite awhile before I clicked what song it was.

I can imagine XD Yeah, who would expect *that*?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Aug 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: NukethrowerSUL 2001 was the first time I saw the band live: nose-bleed seats in Minneapolis, and then 13th row on the floor a few days later in Los Angeles. The LA show was awesome--shook Brian's hand three times as he worked the ramp. He even took a swig of beer from some guy's cup. BBB blew me away!

My neck was sore for days after the shows, and my ears were ringing. At breakfast the morning after the LA show, my friends and I could barely hear each other across the table.

Loved "Get It Hot" live, too. Brian and Angus were rocking out together in the last phase of the song.

A damn awesome tour!

Nice story man. Does this ring any bells? Forward to 51:00

The band killing it there.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: Jet1984
    That is a damn fine sounding bootleg!
    Get It Hot was so good live. Love it when they surprise like that, with a song that,on paper you wouldn't think would work so well,but does...is great.

The production is so high on the studio version with the layered guitars and such, it's great how they managed to pull it off live and it not sound full.
    Posted By: Jet1984
    Posted By: NukethrowerSUL 2001 was the first time I saw the band live: nose-bleed seats in Minneapolis, and then 13th row on the floor a few days later in Los Angeles. The LA show was awesome--shook Brian's hand three times as he worked the ramp. He even took a swig of beer from some guy's cup. BBB blew me away!

A damn awesome tour!

Thank you, Jet1984! I didn't know about that bootleg. I just sent the link to my west coast friends who attended the concert with me. I know what I'm watching later this week when the wife and kid go out of town (at maximum volume!).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Aug 6th 2019

Sometimes I watch bits of this show and think, "Poor Brian...". His voice sounds a bit rough and worn at this point of the tour and there are a few moments like Thunderstruck where it sounds like he's absolutely shredding his vocal cords trying to hit those notes and just landing short. You can really see why he adjusted certain vocal phrases, had the lads tune down a half step and adopted a little bit of a clearer tone on following tours. Not a surprise for a style as demanding as Brian's. He nailed everything else on the show, though.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Aug 6th 2019

Fucking great DVD. I converted a few people with this. That Bad Boy Boogie breakdown and rebuild is just FUCKING SUBLIME.
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: DustDevilThat Bad Boy Boogie breakdown and rebuild is just FUCKING SUBLIME.

Yep. They were absolutely on *fire*.