To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Jun 10th 2019

Revisited SUL Live this weekend. Excellent show. It'd been awhile - this my takeway...

Pros:
    1. It sounds great, band is super tight (Rudd shines).
    2. Great setlist with a few surprises.
    3. Love this version of BBB with Brian, and WDYDFMH is a standout as well.
    4. Double encore. For a split second I think I see Brian do a little glance down at his wrist like he's checking his watch....I took the gesture as "we rocking even longer and later than normal tonight!". I may be off here...jmho.

Negatives (for me anyway):
    1. Setlist seems to not have a smooth order or flow. Certain songs seem out of place. Shook Me felt like "we gotta do it, so put it up front, and let's knock it out".
    2. No problem with teleprompters. But man, they are just too obvious here!
    3. I'm not crazy about the majority of the songs being introduced by title. It takes away that buzz of "what's coming next?". Like UTMNIY......making a surprise an even bigger surprise by just jumping in with no up front warning would've been even better!

Question:
    Was Brian coming in a little late on WDYDFMH and then early on FTATR little screwups or intentional? In either case I liked it. Esp on Money Honey....it let the song build a tad more
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jun 10th 2019

Posted By: CannonQuestion:
    Was Brian coming in a little late on WDYDFMH and then early on FTATR little screwups or intentional? In either case I liked it. Esp on Money Honey....it let the song build a tad more

Screwups.
    BBB was a killer!
    WDYDFMH didn´t do it for me. Brian really struggled with that one.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jun 10th 2019

Posted By: WholelottatobeBBB was a killer!

Overall, it was a great performance from Brian, but there were a couple of moments where I got sympathy pains in my throat. One was Thunderstruck where Brian was trying his damndest to hit those notes but falling flat. You could kind of see the frustration on his face, too. No wonder the band took it down a semitone for Black Ice. Probably easier on Angus's fingers, too.

The show has one of the band's all-time best moments in BBB where they come out of the breakdown and the camera is literally shaking on the wide shot as Angus stomps down the ramp. If someone is not a fan of AC/DC, show them that, and they will be a fan.
    Bump, boom , dananananananananaa, Bump boom, danananananana bup boom .......gonna tell ya no stories tel ya no lies......

That part pumps me up so much!
    Bad Boy Boogie in this show was amazing. One of the best ever. And that moment Briany is talking about... I get chills , every time.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jun 11th 2019 edited

Posted By: WholelottatobeBBB was a killer!
    Agree with both. The BBB part with the coming back after the solo was an instant highlight when i first watched the show. Brian had some tough times throughout the show. I don't get why they always record a show at the end of a tour instead of the beginning when Brian always has a little more power.

Phil is tight as an ass.
    The sound of the guitars is not always good because of the bleed through other mic's. It creates this annoying scratch sometimes.

SUL tour was brutal on the ears. I had ringing in my ears for at least three days after the show.
    I love this show.

Big highlights from the following songs
    - SUL
    - problem child
    - shoot to thrill breakdown
    - bbb
    - up to my neck

That’s just off the top of my head.

Wondering why this one hasn’t been done on blu-Ray yet ?
    Nice call on the STT breakdown, it's pretty special in this show, too.
    Back in black, dirty deeds and highway to hell run
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jun 11th 2019

Posted By: matirockerBad Boy Boogie in this show was amazing. One of the best ever. And that moment Briany is talking about... I get chills , every time.

Me too. That exact moment makes my hairs stand.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jun 11th 2019

My favourite tour.

The BBB part is one of my favourite ever moments.
    This was a great tour and out of the several tours I’ve personally experienced this tour and the Razors Edge Tour are my favourite tours. Why they ever took Bad Boy Boogie out of the set list is a mystery to me. It’s an awesome song and brilliant live.
    Man I played the livin crap out of the dvd back in the day. I LOVE it. Love the crowd, shit hot stuff from the band. Dont like Up To My Neck in Fillers return to the set, but hey thats minor. So good.
    Problem Child is a highlight. It's utterly relentless and Rudd (RIG) contributes very much to upping the ante on this song.
    Yeah Problem Child was great there. PC and BBB should have been staples on the recent tours.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Jun 16th 2019

Love it and for me it's how an Ac/Dc set should be.
    Classics, deeper cuts (UTMNIY , WDYDFMH, PC )
    You shook me... on spot 2 works really well. Breaking the standard Set structure with an extra encore after FTATR keeps things fresh (at least for me)
    UTMNIY is killer considering they plucked it out of nowhere, angus shreds the solo

There’s a version of gone shooting from 2001 kicking about, that also is killer and both songs should’ve been set staples
    •  
    • Jun 16th 2019

How many times did AC/DC pull out that encore-to-the-encore on the SUL tour? I'd not be surprised if it was only for the DVD.
    Posted By: magpies1990_77UTMNIY is killer considering they plucked it out of nowhere, angus shreds the solo

There’s a version of gone shooting from 2001 kicking about, that also is killer and both songs should’ve been set staples

Yep great stuff!
    Posted By: BrianyHow many times did AC/DC pull out that encore-to-the-encore on the SUL tour? I'd not be surprised if it was only for the DVD.

Well they did that Ride on in Paris.
    • AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Jun 16th 2019

Posted By: Wholelottatobe
    Posted By: BrianyHow many times did AC/DC pull out that encore-to-the-encore on the SUL tour? I'd not be surprised if it was only for the DVD.

Well they did that Ride on in Paris.

In Nürnberg (Germany) they also did SDIF after FTATR.
    Posted By: magpies1990_77UTMNIY is killer considering they plucked it out of nowhere, angus shreds the solo

Yep great stuff!

Yes this footage of Gone Shootin' live is great! I wish they had played it in their set when they came to Australia on that tour. It would have made me a very happy man. I love Gone Shootin', it's certainly one of my all time favourite AC/DC songs.
    Would be great if they filmed these one off performances on rare songs.

I’m still spewing they didn’t film high voltage from Australia 2010 with the Bon footage - and chucked it on the tour DVD as a bonus

Who knows maybe they have it in the vault lol...
    SUL tour is by far my favorite, great sound, volume was at an all time high, exciting show visually, and the boys just rocked.

I agree with all the songs and parts already mentioned, bbb, sth breakdown was awesome, and I think this is my favorite version of The Jack. The solo and the ending of The Jack seems to be amped more. Crowd really seems to be in it more and Brian seems to be having fun singing at the end.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jun 22nd 2019

Posted By: schnacattackgreat sound

I've been listening to that Phoenix soundboard a lot lately....fucking hell they sounded good....the guitars more 'pure' than TRE tour and more powerful than BB tour (not criticising either of those, they sounded great too).....Shoot To Thrill...Mal's sound...bang!
    SUL live is my favourite of the official Brian released concert films. Not a fan of Donington or no bull. And certainly not River Plate.
    The set list was great, Angus and Mal are mixed great, phil is a swinging metronome.
    I just dont get the love for "neck" it is a total filler. The crowd would go more bananas to Mistress 4 Xmas. But I am glad you enjoyed it - to me it only made me thonk of lack of the non-rudd era material and go: oh thee rock n roll gods: why?
    •  
    • Jun 26th 2019

Posted By: CliffFINmark2I just dont get the love for "neck" it is a total filler. The crowd would go more bananas to Mistress 4 Xmas. But I am glad you enjoyed it - to me it only made me thonk of lack of the non-rudd era material and go: oh thee rock n roll gods: why?

So what you're saying is that when they play that song live, most people would be up to their necks in pleasure, and you'd be up to your neck in pain?
    having just spent...lots of time watching dvds...vhs tapes...of ac/dc in concert...my conclusion is this....without going to deep into it...(offical releases)..sad to say S.U.L...comes way behind...L.T.B.R...and L.A.D.....just my opinion...(vhs let there be rock...live at donington) dvd stiff upper lip.....no bull not watched live at river plate not watched...why..? dont like em........also seen the alternative cover art for the dvd releaseses........but i cant say anything about them......(just kidding) they are awsome though...lmao
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Jun 26th 2019

Posted By: the flash inbetweenno bull not watched live at river plate not watched...why..? dont like em........

Hmm..........
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jun 26th 2019

Posted By: mkberg
    Posted By: the flash inbetweenno bull not watched live at river plate not watched...why..? dont like em........

Hmm..........

LOL
    •  
    • Jun 26th 2019

SUL Live is probably their second best concert video. My order would go,

LTBR
    SUL Live
    Donington
    River Plate
    No Bull

Now, between 2-4 it's virtually a photo finish and No Bull finishes a good bit behind. I've always found the sound on the No Bull video to be airy and lacking power. AC/DC's guitars have always been relatively clean, but on No Bull they were just too damn clean.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Jun 26th 2019

Yep great stuff!

There's an old one for you. This is for the true fans that are following us around. It's called Gone Shootin.

Should have fucking called it a day after that.
    Posted By: Briany I've always found the sound on the No Bull video to be airy and lacking power. AC/DC's guitars have always been relatively clean, but on No Bull they were just too damn clean.

Are you talking about the original or the Director's Cut? This does not lack power at all IMO:

•  
    • Jun 27th 2019

I think I know what Briany means by "airy". No Bull does have the most "ambient" sound of the DVD's. I think they were trying to balance the sound of the venue with the sound of the band. There is a partial bootleg of the show from an FM broadcast that demonstrates the difference.

https://www.mixcloud...
    •  
    • Jun 27th 2019

Posted By: Grim177I think I know what Briany means by "airy". No Bull does have the most "ambient" sound of the DVD's. I think they were trying to balance the sound of the venue with the sound of the band. There is a partial bootleg of the show from an FM broadcast that demonstrates the difference.

Yes, what it comes across like is the sound is being reflected off a hard surface, and that reverberation is being picked up in the mix. That, makes things sound a little less focused to me than usual, and when you add in the cleaner-sounding guitars, that makes things a little weaker still.

Don't get me wrong - it still sounds powerful on an overall level, just not as powerful as other AC/DC concert videos.
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2I just dont get the love for "neck" it is a total filler. The crowd would go more bananas to Mistress 4 Xmas. But I am glad you enjoyed it - to me it only made me thonk of lack of the non-rudd era material and go: oh thee rock n roll gods: why?

You’re off your head
    Posted By: Briany
    Posted By: Grim177I think I know what Briany means by "airy". No Bull does have the most "ambient" sound of the DVD's. I think they were trying to balance the sound of the venue with the sound of the band. There is a partial bootleg of the show from an FM broadcast that demonstrates the difference.

Yes, what it comes across like is the sound is being reflected off a hard surface, and that reverberation is being picked up in the mix. That, makes things sound a little less focused to me than usual, and when you add in the cleaner-sounding guitars, that makes things a little weaker still.

Don't get me wrong - it still sounds powerful on an overall level, just not as powerful as other AC/DC concert videos.

I would agree if you were talking about the original release. But the Director's Cut? No way...
    •  
    • Jun 27th 2019

Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: Briany

I would agree if you were talking about the original release. But the Director's Cut? No way...

I agree the Director's Cut does sound better but I've always assumed it was just a more heavily compressed a slighty re-eq'd version of the original.
    Nope, it was completely remixed from scratch. Its day and night difference
    There is way more crowd noise in the original as well a lot muddier sound to the over all mix.
    •  
    • Jun 27th 2019

Fair enough. Can't say I've watched it for years and then it was probably the original cut so it's a vague memory.
    The original video cuts were way better though, they actually stuck on a member for more than a split second like in the directors cut.
    The original audio/video mix wasn't done sloppily like the newer one.

Still pisses me off that they cut the intro of Shoot To Thrill off in the director's cut, clearly a mistake not caught during the editing phase. The original cut has the intro intact.
    I'll gladly take that rushed modern editing and mistakes with the new audio mix over the old audio for sure... It would be interesting to have the old video with the new audio though! I think I tried to do this once, I think I even got Ben to send me a DVD rip of the old video, but never got around to do it
    The audio is better,just hate the damn mistakes. All that work to re-do the thing, new video edits,new sound mix,and yet they chop off the entire intro of a song some how and miss it.
    •  
    • Jun 28th 2019

Posted By: matirockerI'll gladly take that rushed modern editing and mistakes with the new audio mix over the old audio for sure... It would be interesting to have the old video with the new audio though! I think I tried to do this once, I think I even got Ben to send me a DVD rip of the old video, but never got around to do it

If the old DVD was in anamorphic widescreen I would of had a go, sadly it's not.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotThe original video cuts were way better though, they actually stuck on a member for more than a split second like in the directors cut.
    Agreed.
    Posted By: nitroangus23The original audio/video mix wasn't done sloppily like the newer one.

Still pisses me off that they cut the intro of Shoot To Thrill off in the director's cut, clearly a mistake not caught during the editing phase. The original cut has the intro intact.

Yep, this is annoying as hell. The sound is way better on the Directors Cut but they should have kept the original video. Some really cool cuts like that intro on Shoot to thrill, and there many other moments aswell.