To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I was listening to Flick tonight and no matter what, the album NEVER seems fail in impressing me with just how good it is.

Everyone points to Back in Black as the greatest AC/DC album, but I was thinking tonight, I like Flick better. From tip to tail, Flick is non-stop, stomp your fucking guts out rock and roll. While Back in Black has great songs, like Shoot to Thrill, Money Honey, and Hells Bells, it just doesn't feel as strong to me. It has Let me Put my Love into You, which is a song that I like, but it slows the album down some. Shake a Leg isn't a song that I like very well.

What if the band had released Flick instead of BIB, and BIB was released in 1983, after FTATR? Did timing play a part of BIB's success? Why didn't Flick do as well? Granted, BIB had the Mutt polish, but Flick isn't a turd at all production-wise. It sounds fantastic! In fact, Flick has always sounded better on cassette than BIB ever did on my sound systems. There's a punch and growl that Flick has that BIB doesn't.

I don't even know why I'm starting this thread other than I'm bored and I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on why Flick isn't as popular as BIB.
    Posted By: Jack B. NimbleI was listening to Flick tonight and no matter what, the album NEVER seems fail in impressing me with just how good it is.

Everyone points to Back in Black as the greatest AC/DC album, but I was thinking tonight, I like Flick better. From tip to tail, Flick is non-stop, stomp your fucking guts out rock and roll. While Back in Black has great songs, like Shoot to Thrill, Money Honey, and Hells Bells, it just doesn't feel as strong to me. It has Let me Put my Love into You, which is a song that I like, but it slows the album down some. Shake a Leg isn't a song that I like very well.

What if the band had released Flick instead of BIB, and BIB was released in 1983, after FTATR? Did timing play a part of BIB's success? Why didn't Flick do as well? Granted, BIB had the Mutt polish, but Flick isn't a turd at all production-wise. It sounds fantastic! In fact, Flick has always sounded better on cassette than BIB ever did on my sound systems. There's a punch and growl that Flick has that BIB doesn't.

I don't even know why I'm starting this thread other than I'm bored and I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on why Flick isn't as popular as BIB.

I totally respect your opinion and see your point. But Flick doesn't have the hits. BIB is half hit/iconic songs. That's why the casuals love it. And as much as I love Flick, Hells Bells and Shoot To Thrill and the title track and Have A Drink alone make it a fucking unbeatable album.

But for pure, stripped-down, basic rock not trying to get radio play, Flick rules.

You will be bashed. I respect your opinion.
    He won´t be bashed, Flick is a good contender. 9 times out of 10 I´ll say BIB is the better album, but Flick is also a Monster.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 16th 2019 edited

Flick is glorious. Back in Black is a towering icon.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 16th 2019

FOTS has always been my favourite. Objectively (as far as that's possible with art) BIB is the strongest album of songs overall, but the stripped-back production and power of FOTS, combined with great songs, is a potent combination.
    What if FOTS was the first AC/DC album with Brian as opposed to BIB? Would they have achieved global stardom status as quick as they did? I know BIB was being written when Bon died and Mutt had already had an input with HTH but what if they were writing FOTS material? Would Mutt have "tweaked" things to make it more mainstream to attract they're already growing fan base?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • May 16th 2019

There's one track I'll generally skip when listening to BIB (LMPMLIY) but there's nothing I'll skip on FOTS. However as great as FOTS is it doesn't having anything of quite the same calibre as HB, STT, BIB, YSMANL or RARANP.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Grim177There's one track I'll generally skip when listening to BIB (LMPMLIY) but there's nothing I'll skip on FOTS. However as great as FOTS is it doesn't having anything of quite the same calibre as HB, STT, BIB, YSMANL or RARANP.

I fucking love LMPMLITY. One of the greatest vocal performances by Brian. It's like a Motown song on steroids.
    Posted By: RoccoIt's like a Motown song on steroids.

Motown, really?

Sounds more to me like the best Whitesnake song Whitesnake never wrote.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: BallToucher
    Posted By: RoccoIt's like a Motown song on steroids.

Motown, really?

Sounds more to me like the best Whitesnake song Whitesnake never wrote.

LOL, I'm not too familiar with Whitesnake tbh. But to me LMPMLITY in a way harks back to 60s and 70s soul music. I could easily imagine an arrangement of it with horns and organs and Brian's singing is pretty souly too, imo.
    The album is nowhere near BIB, not least regarding the songs.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019 edited

Posted By: RoccoI fucking love LMPMLITY. One of the greatest vocal performances by Brian. It's like a Motown song on steroids.

Brian is great on it. I love the intro and verses but the chorus does nothing for me.

Posted By: BallToucherSounds more to me like the best Whitesnake song Whitesnake never wrote.

I guess as I'm not a fan of Whitesnake or anything of that general ilk that wouldn't be a plus point for me, more a of negative one.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • May 16th 2019

I think the bashing of the OP will start at some point but it won't be from me.

I'm in the "Powerage is the best AC/DC album" camp but I can't separate BIB or Flick for next favourite. I love both of them end to end but they have different strengths.

PA, BIB and FOTS are the three albums from which I will never, ever, ever skip a single track.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 16th 2019

BIB is deliberate perfection in every detail, song and soundwise. FOTS is much more spontaneous sounding, no nonsense rock. Both have something for everybody and are great in their department.

Still will take LTBR, PA and HTH over those 2 any day of the week.
    I like FOTS but it's no BIB. There are some great songs on there like GFFH, Badlands, and Bedlam but still not of the same calibre as HB and STT.

I also prefer Brian's singing on BIB. On Flick his voice is powerful but I have trouble understanding what he is saying half of the time. A minor complaint, since it's rock and roll after all, and maybe just my ears!
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • May 16th 2019 edited

^^agree...love Brian's vocals on LMPMLIY
    No contest for me. I can understand why some people like the attitude and feel of FOTS but the songs are simply better on BIB. Although I would also rank BIB below PA and LTBR. On those albums I never skip a song - on BIB i often skip honey, shake a leg and sometimes YSMANL.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

I cannot believe the luke warm appreciation for Shake A Leg and LMPMLIY. These days those are the only BIB songs i still listen to (together with STT).
    Posted By: Grim177There's one track I'll generally skip when listening to BIB (LMPMLIY) but there's nothing I'll skip on FOTS. However as great as FOTS is it doesn't having anything of quite the same calibre as HB, STT, BIB, YSMANL or RARANP.
    there's one track I can't stand on flick and luckily it's the closing track
    >

Posted By: Thegamer101135there's one track I can't stand on flick and luckily it's the closing track

It's a milkshake! Milkshake! Milkshake! Milkshaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: ThankassI cannot believe the luke warm appreciation for Shake A Leg and LMPMLIY. These days those are the only BIB songs i still listen to (together with STT).

I love SAL, always have. From my perspective I'd find it harder to fathom why someone would dislike SAL but rate LMPMLIY. Horses for courses.

Posted By: Thegamer101135there's one track I can't stand on flick and luckily it's the closing track

I really like BS. My only criticism would be that it might go a tad longer than it should but as it's the album closer it's forgivable.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Grim177

I love SAL, always have. From my perspective I'd find it harder to fathom why someone would dislike SAL but rate LMPMLIY. Horses for courses.
    LMPMLIY has Brian's best vocal deliverance on the album imo. Great melody. Angus' solo is beautiful. The coming together with Brian at the end of the solo is magic.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Brain Shake is a barnstormer that closes the album nicely.
    Maybe the repetativeness of the chorus in the end is a bit too much (MLP hates it)
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: ThankassLMPMLIY has Brian's best vocal deliverance on the album imo. Great melody. Angus' solo is beautiful. The coming together with Brian at the end of the solo is magic.

As I said, I'm not keen on the chorus. No issue with the rest of the track.
    Flick of the Switch is a fantastic album but Back in Black is EPIC! Of course I love both albums though. I feel that Flick is their last "great" album.
    Flick is incredibly fun, but BIB’s tracks slaughter it IMO. They have much more lasting essence, and, although Flick’s tracks are strong, there’s a difference between strong and godly.
    As good as Flick is it doesn’t even touch BIB in terms of songwriting.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 16th 2019

We love Flick for its hard uncompromising attitude rather than its supremacy of songwriting.
    I don't even see the songwriting as being all that bad.
    Flick is a beast, but BIB smash it to pieces.
    • AC/DC rock music: Treeman
    • May 16th 2019

I love Flick but when you compare it to BIB it falls short. The song structure on BIB is just unbeatable. They never get boring or repetitive. There’s always something new in there to engage the ear, as opposed to the strait ahead riff/verse/chorus/repeat/solo of FOTS. I like the songs a lot and BJ sounds great but after the first minute you’ve heard what the song has to offer, which is almost never the case on BIB.

And Shake A Leg kicks ass. Great intro and the best solo on the album.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • May 16th 2019

Love Flick as much as the next ACDC fan, but man BiB is the gold standard. It's the album you would put on to test your stereo setup, back when that was a thing lol
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: toddoLove Flick as much as the next ACDC fan, but man BiB is the gold standard. It's the album you would put on to test your stereo setup, back when that was a thing lol

That is still a thing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: toddoLove Flick as much as the next ACDC fan, but man BiB is the gold standard. It's the album you would put on to test your stereo setup, back when that was a thing lol

Many sound engineers still use this album to EQ a live PA, or to 'reset' their ears when mixing in the studio.

It's the one I use, that and Boston's debut.
    BiB is my favorite album. FoS is pure power, but as others have written already, the songwriting and the riffs is what puts it apart from all other album. There is one song on the FOS album I always hated: This house is on fire...
    Posted By: nitroangus23

It's the one I use, that and Boston's debut.

Boston's debut is fantastic Foreplay/Longtime desert Island Disc for me
    • May 17th 2019

Posted By: TreemanThe song structure on BIB is just unbeatable. They never get boring or repetitive. There’s always something new in there to engage the ear, as opposed to the strait ahead riff/verse/chorus/repeat/solo of FOTS. I like the songs a lot and BJ sounds great but after the first minute you’ve heard what the song has to offer, which is almost never the case on BIB.

True the arrangements were always really nice in the Mutt era. But with the production in terms of sound, I feel the same about FOTS in terms of it never getting boring. That more natural, unprocessed sound, especially the guitars, so much character. Whereas on the Mutt stuff, everything a little more sanitised, consistent and similar. Not in a bad way, BIB sounds brilliant, but it's personal preference.
    Posted By: Tyler1819As good as Flick is it doesn’t even touch BIB in terms of songwriting.

this ^^^^. Its like a collective leaving of the senses when FOTS is thought to be a better body of music than BIB. One has this little cult like following amongst the fan base the other is globe straddling behemoth still crushing everything in its path almost 40 years later
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • May 17th 2019

I love FOTS but there's no comparision in songwriting.... production....hooks etc.
    •  
    • May 17th 2019

Posted By: carlos fandangoIts like a collective leaving of the senses when FOTS is thought to be a better body of music than BIB.

Well, not really a collective..

I love Flick to pieces but BIB is a hard record to top, not a damn thing wrong with liking Flick more but to me it's just not as strong. Strong as hell compared to those after,but overall but weaker than those 10 on Back In Black as a whole.

Brian is a monster on Flick,but he was other wordly on BIB.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 17th 2019 edited

Compared with BIB only it would be BIB, then nothing nothing then nothing and then FOTS.. That's about how close they are. Still consider FOTS as a great album
    Ha! Funny topic. There is NO comparison. Back in Black TOWERS over Flick of the Switch.

That said, for the record (pun intended), Powerage is my favorite AC/DC album.
    • May 17th 2019

This is getting silly, I don't think anyone said FOTS was "better" or had "better songs" than FOTS.

Just some of us prefer it, for its characterful, raw sound and bombastic power and energy.

That said, I find several songs on the album right up there.
    •  
    • May 17th 2019 edited

Posted By: 900This is getting silly, I don't think anyone said FOTS was "better"

Posted By: Jack B. Nimble While Back in Black has great songs... it just doesn't feel as strong to me.

What if the band had released Flick instead of BIB, and BIB was released in 1983, after FTATR? Did timing play a part of BIB's success?

In fact, Flick has always sounded better on cassette than BIB ever did on my sound systems.
    •  
    • May 17th 2019 edited

By the way, the answers to the above are "no" and Jack needs a new sound system. : )

------

Speaking of which... I discovered this on mine last night, and it's going to be costly. Ugh. : (

• May 17th 2019

Posted By: InfernoPosted By: Jack B. Nimble While Back in Black has great songs... it just doesn't feel as strong to me.

OK! :-D
    Posted By: 900This is getting silly, I don't think anyone said FOTS was "better" or had "better songs" than FOTS.

Just some of us prefer it, for its characterful, raw sound and bombastic power and energy.

How is it silly? Nothing wrong with liking Flick more but this kind of topic is going to cause a comparison of song quality no matter what due to the nature of the thread.

Some songs on Flick stand up with anything they've ever done,but if we're talking whole records I can't say Flick is my favorite of the 2. I do like hearing the other opinions from some of you as to why you like it more, I can't fault any of the arguments for it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • May 18th 2019

Posted By: 900This is getting silly, I don't think anyone said FOTS was "better" or had "better songs" than FOTS.

I think your middle sentence sort of sums it up for me.

It may be from being non-musical myself but, other than lyrics, music is all about feel for me. BIB feels like the best sing-a-long party album to me. FOTS feels like the best pedal-to-the-metal, neck-breaking, head-banger.

More often than not, I want the neck-breaker these days. It may be a grumpy old man mood thing.