To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I've been trawling the web to find anyone who's as exited as I am about Playing With Girls. I have so many memories involving this track from the early nineties when I discovered AC/DC and it's been a favourite ever since. Extremely underrated in my opinion. The groove and tempo is absolutely perfect. The solo is mind blowing – Malcolm, Cliff, and Simon create the ultimate backing track with the chord progression, breaks, and drive that allows Angus to perform this perfect solo! I used to love the credits on the Fly On The Wall video but I always wished they would've played this song in the collapsing bar.
    • AC/DC rock music: Markuin
    • May 11th 2019

I agree. This song is what happens to the entire album: the production of it. Totally muddy. But it's something that has already been talked about a lot. Is very similar indeed to the production of Orgasmatron disc by Motörhead.
    My mind has been blown about how Fly’s production sounds like Orgasmatron. I never noticed that.

PWG is a banger for sure. Easily one of my favorite tracks, potentially top 20 track for me.
    • May 11th 2019

It's just a personal opinion, I notice that muddy sound on both discs, but not in the same degree or exactly the same.
    Not by me. One of their best ever intros. Love it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • May 11th 2019 edited

Posted By: MarkuinIt's just a personal opinion, I notice that muddy sound on both discs, but not in the same degree or exactly the same.

No, I know what you mean. Obviously not the same but there are similarities. Ain’t My Crime and Riding with the Driver was the song that immediately popped into my mind when thinking about it.
    • May 11th 2019

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: MarkuinIt's just a personal opinion, I notice that muddy sound on both discs, but not in the same degree or exactly the same.

No, I know what you mean. Obviously not the same but there are similarities. Ain’t My Crime and Riding with the Driver was the song that immediately popped into my mind when thinking about it.

Probably both albums were victims of that type of production so fashionable in the 80s, but that it hurt so many groups; especially those who came already from the 70s or earlier.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gentox66
    • May 11th 2019

Heaviest 'DC track imho
    Brian's intro was always cool to me and that riff is filthy as fuck.

Love the way it drives, such a wild track.
    I enjoy Playing with Girls

But only if they’re legal :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 12th 2019

The intro has an (almost) "heavy metal" quality.

One of the gems of FOTW.
    loved it from the start....bought it on the day it was released.......playing with girls....back in buisness...danger and fly on the wall were on constantly...but having to get up cross the room to put on the track was a fucking pain in the ass.(for those who dont remember it meant crossing the rooom picking up the needle on the turntable flipping the album over then placing the neeedle on the space inbetween tracks....LOL)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • May 12th 2019

Every song on that album is awesome.
    Yep, great track. Amazing guitar work. Like a wall of sound.

I wish they had made a video for it too, but I understand why they chose the other songs and not this one.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 12th 2019

Sink The Pink
    First Blood
    Fly On The Wall
    Shake Your Foundations
    Back In Business
    Playing With Girls
    Danger
    Send For The Man
    Hell or High Water
    Stand Up
    • AC/DC rock music: peluso8
    • May 12th 2019

Phenomenal groove
    Posted By: ShootToThrillYep, great track. Amazing guitar work. Like a wall of sound.

I wish they had made a video for it too, but I understand why they chose the other songs and not this one.

Same, I wish they did one for the whole record really, may as well have with the elaborate set up of the video shoot.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • 7 days ago

A powerhouse song, and the production works OK really. Those guitars! And the energy from Brian as well. The drums sound powerful as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • 7 days ago

Good track. I wouldn't say it's underrated around here. Rarely seen anything but praise for it.
    What a great song, always enjoy it, sneaks into my top 20
    If that song was on BIB, it would have become a concert staple, or at least the occasional treat like Have a Drink or RNRANP.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • 5 days ago

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotIf that song was on BIB, it would have become a concert staple, or at least the occasional treat like Have a Drink or RNRANP.

Playing with Girls is a very listenable AC/DC track (once you get past the shit production), but even with BiB sound, it would still be a rung below HADOM. To me HADOM is a complete song. PWG is guitars, drums and singing. "Isn't that what every AC/DC song is? Guitars, drums, and singing?", I hear you ask. Yes, but those components don't always meld to make something magic and that you can wear on your sleeve.
    • 5 days ago

I agree something like HADOM is a very 'complete' song, but actually I think PWG is a complete song also. There are one or two on FOTW where the arrangement isn't up to BIB album standards, but PWG sounds pretty much all there. Not to say it could be as good as HADOM, it's more an aggressive Shake A Leg type song, in a sense.
    PWG is their most “fuckable” song. It just reeks reeks nastiness.

It’s not the best on Fly, but it’s up there. The guitars are by far what makes it great
    This song is like a dirty back alley, you can feel the grit and grime. Very 80's, in a good way. You can almost feel the neon lights, this one could very easily have been a stripper anthem like Girls Girls Girls became. (Comparing this one to a Motley song may not be the best argument for it's greatness...but still)

This song captures the mid 80's rock scene perfectly, whilst still being AC/DC. I dig the shit out of this album,warts and all.
    Posted By: Briany
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotIf that song was on BIB, it would have become a concert staple, or at least the occasional treat like Have a Drink or RNRANP.

Playing with Girls is a very listenable AC/DC track (once you get past the shit production), but even with BiB sound, it would still be a rung below HADOM. To me HADOM is a complete song. PWG is guitars, drums and singing. "Isn't that what every AC/DC song is? Guitars, drums, and singing?", I hear you ask. Yes, but those components don't always meld to make something magic and that you can wear on your sleeve.

I didn't mean to suggest it was necessarily as good as HADOM, but that, as 900 says, it was an equally complete song. It expressed the idea it wanted to express perfectly.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinPWG is their most “fuckable” song. It just reeks reeks nastiness.

It’s not the best on Fly, but it’s up there. The guitars are by far what makes it great

Posted By: nitroangus23This song is like a dirty back alley, you can feel the grit and grime. Very 80's, in a good way. You can almost feel the neon lights, this one could very easily have been a stripper anthem like Girls Girls Girls became. (Comparing this one to a Motley song may not be the best argument for it's greatness...but still)

This song captures the mid 80's rock scene perfectly, whilst still being AC/DC. I dig the shit out of this album,warts and all.

Amen! Can't wait for the House Band version...
    I second that Mati
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • 4 days ago

Posted By: AngusRudd1019I second that Mati
    You will do Simon proud
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • 4 days ago

I third that Mati

Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: AngusRudd1019I second that Mati
    You will do Simon proud

He did Phil proud
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • 4 days ago

Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinPWG is their most “fuckable” song. It just reeks reeks nastiness.

Posted By: nitroangus23This song is like a dirty back alley, you can feel the grit and grime. Very 80's, in a good way. You can almost feel the neon lights, this one could very easily have been a stripper anthem like Girls Girls Girls became. (Comparing this one to a Motley song may not be the best argument for it's greatness...but still)

Amen! Can't wait for the House Band version...

I just creamed my pants.
    This song has a burst and relentless energy that I just don't hear after this album. Up-tempo tracks that followed, like Heat Seeker and That's The Way, just had a controlled restraint about them.

This song and album is fucking relentless at times. I've said it before and will say it again: the last of the dirty, mean, and street-level AC/DC.
    • 17 hours ago

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoThis song has a burst and relentless energy that I just don't hear after this album. Up-tempo tracks that followed, like Heat Seeker and That's The Way, just had a controlled restraint about them.

This song and album is fucking relentless at times. I've said it before and will say it again: the last of the dirty, mean, and street-level AC/DC.

I think quite a few people agree with all this. It's not knocking the band, age gets us all, but you sense a peak-testosterone point had been passed after FOTW. Fire Your Guns had some of that relentless thing going on, perhaps? Ballbreaker as well, even if they couldn't deliver it as powerfully as they would have 10 years previous.

The thing with some of FOTW, is you can really *feel* the energy, even without turning it up too loud. The guitars play a big part in that.