To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Got to say, this below has blown my mind today. Still can't believe I've read this, although I have read it several times to make sure I wasn't dreaming!

"I've said before how awful the tone of LTBR is; they overloaded the signals resulting in a lack of dynamics and unnaturally distorted tone. For fuck's sake, the guitars weren't even in tune!

HAABPTB has no groove, the riff is cut up awkwardly and abruptly. Bon is too quiet in the mix"

Can't see that post -who said that?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: Alex Lebanonbut when it comes down to the reverb on the snare I kind of lose the will to live a bit.
    But it is a thing of notice and importance in the total sound (for me as a purist ;). Just like the clean guitars on BB, that are frequently mentioned.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonCan't see that post -who said that?

http://www.acdcfans....

Thankass = a voyeur...looking though the windows of Angus' house, hoping for some action. Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I'm still laughing at your voyeur statement.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • May 10th 2019

One thing this forum has brought home to me, is that AC/DC is something different to everyone, and if the production qualities and finite detail is your thing, fill ya boots!

But sometimes, you've got to just shrug it all off "Rock the fuck out!", and just rejoice in the dirty urchins that were/are DC.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: Meanstreaklooking though the windows of Angus' house, hoping for some action
    No need to peep anymore since we already have the > 1988 lyrics ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • May 10th 2019

Musical taste is totally subjective. I always find it odd when someone tries to persuade someone else that their personal taste is wrong.

Anyway, you're all wrong about whatever it is you think.

This needs a dance off.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • May 10th 2019

AC/DC is pure fun. They don't take themselves too serious, and their work is not to be taken very serious either. Amazingly though, they've still churned out some of, if not the best rock music known to man. The "pick apart debates" in here are just nonsense to me ...and that's not to knock anyone, it's my problem. They're "my band" and I admittedly see their entire body of work through rose colored glasses, so Im pretty much lame in any debate that may arise...and that's mostly for what the forum is intended I suppose.
    I'm going dormant. I'll certainly be lurking for leaks on the "new material" though. Ha.

Ok. Well, back to my personal listening party.....FTATR, Flick, Powerage......oh hell, here's a Fly CD under the seat....I think I'll crank it today ..
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 10th 2019

^Spot on:)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 10th 2019 edited

Posted By: CannonAC/DC is pure fun. They don't take themselves too serious, and their work is not to be taken very serious either. Amazingly though, they've still churned out some of, if not the best rock music known to man. The "pick apart debates" in here are just nonsense to me ...and that's not to knock anyone, it's my problem. They're "my band" and I admittedly see their entire body of work through rose colored glasses, so Im pretty much lame in any debate that may arise...and that's mostly for what the forum is intended I suppose.
    I'm going dormant. I'll certainly be lurking for leaks on the "new material" though. Ha.

Ok. Well, back to my personal listening party.....FTATR, Flick, Powerage......oh hell, here's a Fly CD under the seat....I think I'll crank it today ..

Well said, sir! No need to go dormant though.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: DrBelfordit's ironic to me that I'd still put on those "badly produced" AC/DC records way more often than those others

Yes, it is.

: )
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 10th 2019

Of course it is:) Although produced poorly, they're still more fun than most of anything else!

That's actually an achievement:)
    I don't think FTATR is over-produced...it's just a record that was clearly made to have that special "something" but it already had it and they kept fiddling over nothing. Phil's drumming on this album is my absolute favourite....yes his hi hats are diff, hes got accents. His accents are in BIB as well, just not as prominent as it is in FTATR. That's what makes this album so fucking amazing, its got this element that no other album has. Velvet guitar tones. Whenever I listen to the guitars on this album the only word I can use to describe it is velvet.
    Posted By: CannonAC/DC is pure fun. They don't take themselves too serious, and their work is not to be taken very serious either. Amazingly though, they've still churned out some of, if not the best rock music known to man. The "pick apart debates" in here are just nonsense to me ...and that's not to knock anyone, it's my problem. They're "my band" and I admittedly see their entire body of work through rose colored glasses, so Im pretty much lame in any debate that may arise...and that's mostly for what the forum is intended I suppose.

You've got extraordinary taste in music, my friend! I'd buy you a pint or four if I could.

And the same with Alex — while spinning Transmission!

Precisely. They are a good time band, so I don't get why people complain about them writing the same song over and over. It's impossible to not compare/criticize when you're a massive fan and know what their full potential sounds like, but I get what you're saying.
    as above..we all own the albums and all play them...and i would say we all love 99% of what they have done...or we would not be here...but i do hate( love bomb...sorry all you love bomb lovers...lol)
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 12th 2019

Love bomb is a hidden gem on BB
    Posted By: Rajd07Love bomb is a hidden gem on BB

Oh dear god. ROFL
    • May 13th 2019

Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: Rajd07Love bomb is a hidden gem on BB

Oh dear god. ROFL

Well, it's well hidden. Disguised as a worse song. XD
    I like both albums but for me personally I prefer Flick of the Switch over For Those About To Rock. I love the stripped back raw sound of Flick.
    Posted By: DrBelfordBut to be fair, Appetite for Destruction, Hysteria are good examples: Better production? Sure. Successful Yes. Do I go back to listen to them a lot? Not really. Are they in the same league as BIB etc? I'd say no.

And that's exactly the point I'm trying to make: I am still way more entertained by AC/DC's so-called "weaker" albums than all the ones mentioned in this thread. Including U2 and Van Halen. This doesn't mean I don't acknowledge or respect them, but it's ironic to me that I'd still put on those "badly produced" AC/DC records way more often than those others.

Furthermore, the mere fact that we're still discussing this so passionately today and that we all joined the "AC/DC" Forum is proof that there is something special about them. Are you active members on GNR, U2 or VH Forums? After all, they all had great, average and bad records, right?...But I'd have zero interest to join for some reason...

I would put BIB and AFD shoulder to shoulder, without a doubt. Not a chance BUYV comes close to AFD, as much as I have a soft spot for BUYV.

Also, I am a member of a GNR forum. But GNR only has three real records to discuss after all... not the most prolific band.
    For Those is Phil's and Brian's best album. Monster sound, infinitely better than the recorded through a sweat sock Young approach to production. One weak song, in my opinion, and that's Breaking the Rules. The rest of the album is killer despite being VERY dark: title track from "For those about to DIE", a song about the Nazis cleaning house, even the sex is ominous: Finger on You doesn't come across as sexy as all. Let's Get it Up devoid of any attempt at double entendre, etc. Still Brian's best vocals and second best album of his tenure.
    • May 15th 2019

FTATR is a good album, but some how it doesn't feel as Ac/Dc-ish as FOTS. To me it's the iconic title song and album cover against the over all better and more recognizible Ac/Dc sounding album, which is FOTS.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019 edited

FIRE!!

Posted By: InfernoFIRE!!

Brian is saying in that pic "Thank you Hoover commercial. I'm now in the greatest Rock n Roll band in the world....................EVER!! Life is good"
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: reillylivesLet's Get it Up devoid of any attempt at double entendr

Eh? It's full of double entendre from start to finish!

Posted By: reillylivesOne weak song, in my opinion, and that's Breaking the Rules

Now there's a song that divides opinion.. I fucking love that track. And, in the 1985 FOTW Kerrang interview, Angus named it as a classic for him as well.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: InfernoFIRE!!

Brian is saying in that pic "Thank you Hoover commercial. I'm now in the greatest Rock n Roll band in the world....................EVER!! Life is good"

LOL. That pic is fantastic btw.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • May 16th 2019 edited

Not going to quote it again but that really is a great cover and inner gate-fold. Stunning.

I spent years running my hand over the raised contours on the covers of the BIB, FTATR and FOTS vinyl.
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: youngjohnNot going to quote it again but that really is a great cover and inner gate-fold. Stunning.

I spent years running my hand over the raised contours on the covers of the BIB, FTATR and FOTS vinyl.

I like the Spanish version of the cover, with the inverted colours even better.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

That picture on the innersleeve is magic. It captures so much power. You can almost hear the sound of 130 decibel jumping out of it. Spent hours looking at it when i was young.
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Inferno

Well said, sir! No need to go dormant though.

I suppose you're right. I won't!
    The ONLY thing would make that FTATR sleeve better is if Brian were a little more to his right.....Rudd is hidden!!
    Posted By: ThankassThat picture on the innersleeve is magic. It captures so much power. You can almost hear the sound of 130 decibel jumping out of it. Spent hours looking at it when i was young.

Did we ever figure out which song they were performing when the pic was taken? Highway to Hell maybe?
    • May 16th 2019

Well, Rudd is outta sight in the sleeve pic for the MOST part anyway... bummer
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: ThankassThat picture on the innersleeve is magic. It captures so much power. You can almost hear the sound of 130 decibel jumping out of it. Spent hours looking at it when i was young.

Did we ever figure out which song they were performing when the pic was taken? Highway to Hell maybe?
    I still know i won that contest! I said HTH, you said The Jack :) :) :)
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Thankass

It looks like Ang is holding a D chord. That would rule The Jack definitely out. HTH could be possible aswell as YSMANL or WDYDFMH. It's not WLR since Cliff and Mal don't walk up for backing vocals for that one.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Rocco

It looks like Ang is holding a D chord. That would rule The Jack definitely out. HTH could be possible aswell as YSMANL or WDYDFMH. It's not WLR since Cliff and Mal don't walk up for backing vocals for that one.
    We already desected it in the past. Robert Ellis confirmed it was during HTH. It was the one million dollar question ;)
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Rocco

We already desected it in the past. Robert Ellis confirmed it was during HTH. It was the one million dollar question ;)

Ah, thanks for the info!
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: reillylivesLet's Get it Up devoid of any attempt at double entendr

Eh? It's full of double entendre from start to finish!

Posted By: reillylivesOne weak song, in my opinion, and that's Breaking the Rules

Now there's a song that divides opinion.. I fucking love that track. And, in the 1985 FOTW Kerrang interview, Angus named it as a classic for him as well.

I love it, too. Awesome to hear Angus call it out as a special track. Do you have a link?
    • May 22nd 2019 edited

No, fuck off.

Edit: I have actually searched for this, there was some site where old Kerrang and Metal Hammer interviews were scanned, and the images were readable online.
    •  
    • May 22nd 2019 edited

Posted By: 900No, fuck off.

Edit: I have actually searched for this, there was some site where old Kerrang and Metal Hammer interviews were scanned, and the images were readable online.
    I was also desperately seeking for the link that had all the magazines in where ac/dc was present (Crash, Hit Parader, Metal Hammer etc).
    It was once posted on this forum but i cannot find it anymore. It had some interesting interview from somewhere around jul/aug 1980 with some interesting remarks about the input Brian had on BIB.
    I think Angus said it was his favourite track on FOTW, or something like that
    Posted By: 900No, fuck off.

Didn't edit this one for being too aggressive? Why can't you tolerate different opinions?
    • May 26th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotDidn't edit this one for being too aggressive? Why can't you tolerate different opinions

I can, as long they're presented respectfully. Sorry for the offence though, was on the tube at 8am, tired and irritable. Which reminds me, I'm curious, are you a young chap who gets a bit heated getting your points across, or conversely, more a grumpy grapplin' grandad type? (Nothing wrong with either btw, before you strop-out at me!)
    FTATR is great. I wish they would play more songs other than just the title song. I’d love to see IPTFOY, LGIU, ITV, and C.O.D. return to the setlist and I’d love to see Snowballed if Brian could handle it, Evil Walks, And Spellbound. Maybe even NOTLK. He’ll just play every song live at this point