To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Don't get me wrong, I love Flick but I think it's overpraised in these parts. It's an album I have a great time listening to but it's not a great album - not in the way that PA or HTH or BIB are IMHO. Apart from GFFH and Landslide there's nothing truly essential on it.

Conversely, I feel that FTATR gets judged very harshly because it inevitably gets overshadowed by its top-of-Everest predecessor. People are quick to complain about Mutt adding too much polish, the moments it borders on heavy metal, the misguided attempt to better or equal BIB in the epic stakes (but think about it, who WOULDN'T try and emulate a big success like BIB?). But it goes beyond production - I actually think the songwriting is very strong on FTATR - Rosie aside, Spellbound is arguably their greatest ever album closer and breaks new ground, too. The opening trio of tracks, to my ears anyway, are just better written songs than their equivalents on Flick. And it's not that I'm immune to Flick's charms - who doesn't love a bit of Undersea World, who could say there's a track as pure and simply FUN as Bedlam on FTATR - but overall it feels that Flick is overindulged by the same measure that FTATR is downgraded as a glossy, overcooked BIB retread.
    FTATR is definitely better in my book.

Flick is fun and has a great tracklist, but I’d be lying if I said I loved it on first listen. FTATR just has better riffs and melodies. Flick isn’t too far behind it, though, as it still has many great tracks.

I love the sound depth of FTATR. The bass harmonizing with the guitars in the verses of ITV is phenomenal, for example, and it has such a great atmosphere to it.
    No need to apologize Alex. Someone had to say it.

PS - It was nice knowing you. :)
    Agree 100%. FOTS is great but very over hyped on this forum
    Well the general public consider FOTS a total disaster and a flop, it is only here where it is deeply loved.

Both albums are in my TOP5...but they are the ones that tend to switch places.
    I truly have a soft spot for FTATR. It was the first album from the boys that I bought the day it was released. I was in high school and I literally wore that cassette out. I still listen to it every now and then. I rarely listen to FOTS nowadays. That should tell you something.
    Nah. FTATR is the very definition of an album with no identity to me.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 8th 2019

FTATR is in some ways underrated, not by everyone obviously, but for sure it gets some unfair stick. Great songs, bombastic sound, overall a brilliant album.

FOTS is all out power all the way through, full of great anthems. I think there's a couple of slightly lesser songs, but that's same as for FTATR.

I find it hard to say which is better, but FOTS is always my favourite album anyway.
    I think FTATR suffers for a few reasons:

1. Yes, it was right after BiB.
    2. It has an awkward title.
    3. It did not produce a hit single.
    4. The color of the album art is a bit odd.
    5. It is a rather dark collection of songs, whereas BiB was a party album.
    6. Yes, the production was left in the oven a bit too long.
    7. You had to wait for the last song on the album to hear the best that album had to offer.
    8. Brian "growled" too much on this album.
    9. Phil's hi-hat was not "floppy" enough.
    10. The cannons were a bit much.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksFTATR is the very definition of an album with no identity to me.

Strange comment. Care to elaborate?
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • May 8th 2019

I wouldn't like to say one is better than the other, as they are both kinda different. `I tend to play FOTS more, possibly because it was the first "new" album after I started to get into ACDC. But then, whilst I admit that BIB is probably their greatest album ever....I hardly ever play it. Powerage, LTBR, IYWB, FOTS (in that order) tend to be 80% of my ACDC plays for the past 5 years. But I love the others.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 8th 2019

Posted By: Angus1234510. The cannons were a bit much.

WTF?

Posted By: Angus12345It is a rather dark collection of songs, whereas BiB was a party album.

I think it has great atmosphere.

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm2. It has an awkward title.

Long, yes. Awkward? No.

Posted By: Angus123451. Yes, it was right after BiB.

The only point I can really agree with:) Following BIB was tough, and that's about it.
    Posted By: Angus12345I think FTATR suffers for a few reasons:

1. Yes, it was right after BiB.
    2. It has an awkward title.
    3. It did not produce a hit single.
    4. The color of the album art is a bit odd.
    5. It is a rather dark collection of songs, whereas BiB was a party album.
    6. Yes, the production was left in the oven a bit too long.
    7. You had to wait for the last song on the album to hear the best that album had to offer.
    8. Brian "growled" too much on this album.
    9. Phil's hi-hat was not "floppy" enough.
    10. The cannons were a bit much.

1: Yes, it was released after Back In Black.
    2: It was a call out to their fans (For those (people/fans) about to rock, we (AC/DC) salute you. Makes perfect sense to me.
    3: The title track was a hit...it got to number 15 on the Billboard charts and has been a staple encore in the setlist ever since.
    4: The album art looks fine by me, but artwork doesn't change the music.
    5: Back In Black had plenty of darks songs. Hells Bells, Have A Drink On Me, Back In Black.
    6: Production IMHO has a velvet-like cream to it. It's set apart from all of their albums, I quite like it.
    7: There are plenty of good songs.
    8: Brian's best work vocally is on this album.
    9: It's called "accents" and Phil's dynamics on this album is unmatched when compared to his other work with AC/DC.
    10: The cannons were just as important as the bell in Hells Bells.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 8th 2019

FTATR was imo focusing too much on all kind of arrangements (Mutt) and lost the rock & roll spirit a bit.
    Nevertheless a great album on its merits but i understand why the went back to a more stripped down, guitar based album on FOTS
    FTATR only has 5 decent tracks on it.

It should have been an EP not an album.

Flick pisses all over it.
    I think the biggest problem with FTATR is the hi hat is too closed. Yeah, Phil’s drumming is a lot “active”, but it was more active on Ballbreaker too yet it still had a ton of swing.

The album kind of stumbles along rather than flowing. PTFOY is hard to listen to for this reason.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 8th 2019

Posted By: Overdose69FTATR only has 5 decent tracks on it.

It should have been an EP not an album.

Flick pisses all over it.

Yep, FTATR is judged waaay to harshly here. This comment is proof:)
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • May 8th 2019 edited

Posted By: ThankassFTATR was imo focusing too much on all kind of arrangements (Mutt) and lost the rock & roll spirit a bit.

Yes, this.
    This was the first time AC/DC made an album that didn't feel like rock'n'roll.
    That's probably why I never liked it.
    FOTS was at least a good try to make a pure rock'n'roll-album.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 8th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonDon't get me wrong, I love Flick but I think it's overpraised in these parts. It's an album I have a great time listening to but it's not a great album - not in the way that PA or HTH or BIB are IMHO. Apart from GFFH and Landslide there's nothing truly essential on it.

Conversely, I feel that FTATR gets judged very harshly because it inevitably gets overshadowed by its top-of-Everest predecessor. People are quick to complain about Mutt adding too much polish, the moments it borders on heavy metal, the misguided attempt to better or equal BIB in the epic stakes (but think about it, who WOULDN'T try and emulate a big success like BIB?). But it goes beyond production - I actually think the songwriting is very strong on FTATR - Rosie aside, Spellbound is arguably their greatest ever album closer and breaks new ground, too. The opening trio of tracks, to my ears anyway, are just better written songs than their equivalents on Flick. And it's not that I'm immune to Flick's charms - who doesn't love a bit of Undersea World, who could say there's a track as pure and simply FUN as Bedlam on FTATR - but overall it feels that Flick is overindulged by the same measure that FTATR is downgraded as a glossy, overcooked BIB retread.

I concur that FTATR has better production and songwriting than FOTS. And I agree it gets a unfair amount of criticism, especially by die hards. I love it to pieces. But FOTS is such an aggressive, raw record tthat I understand why some people prefer it over FTATR. Nervous Shakedowns is a masterpiece though. Easily one of my Top 10 songs by the boys.
    • May 8th 2019

Posted By: SpellboundI think the biggest problem with FTATR is the hi hat is too closed. Yeah, Phil’s drumming is a lot “active”, but it was more active on Ballbreaker too yet it still had a ton of swing.

The album kind of stumbles along rather than flowing. PTFOY is hard to listen to for this reason.

You're nuts! PTFOY is my favourite song in the album.
    Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: SpellboundI think the biggest problem with FTATR is the hi hat is too closed. Yeah, Phil’s drumming is a lot “active”, but it was more active on Ballbreaker too yet it still had a ton of swing.

You're nuts! PTFOY is my favourite song in the album.

The outro is killer - up there with the end of IYWB.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 8th 2019

Both albums are great. One is a bit overproduced for AC/DC standards and the other is pure heavy rawness. I listen to both regularly depending on the mood. Anyways, love them as they are.
    FTATR has one of the all-time most iconic album covers of all rock!

I’ll bet their are some folks out there who actually think it’s the cover for BIB. That’s how iconic it is. That cannon is the AC/DC shirt I see the most people (largely millennials) wearing out and about.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonDon't get me wrong, I love Flick but I think it's overpraised in these parts. It's an album I have a great time listening to but it's not a great album - not in the way that PA or HTH or BIB are IMHO. Apart from GFFH and Landslide there's nothing truly essential on it.

What happened to the real Alex Lebanon? I couldn't agree more with everything written by Alex on this thread. Very strange and slightly disconcerting.

I love FTATR, in my opinion its probably AC/DC's last truly great album. The epic scale of the sound, Brian and Phil's best performance in an AC/DC shirt, power chords galore, the fucking cannons!!!...whats not to like???

However, and I've said this before, I can totally understand that anyone who regards Powerage as their bible finding FTATR quite hard to love. It doesn't sound like the same band in so many way does it?
    It’s not the same band that made Powerage. That’s the thing that has to be accepted. However, it is a wholly logical progression for the band that made Back In Black. Considering the rock climate at the time, it’s also a pioneering hard rock/metal album in its own right.

It’s that magic moment when AC/DC was at the absolute top of the mountain. If any album is the snapshot of a moment, it’s this one. And it didn’t last, which makes the record all the more special.
    My favorite DC album. Every individual member sounds and plays their best to me on this album.
    I LOVE For Those. At times in the past I've considered it my fave AC/DC album.

The production not so much "glossy" as clean with a fair bit of reverb. I think it's a rather cool sound myself. The guitars actually don't have that much distortion when you really listen to them, thus discounting the "heavy metal" tag. Brian's singing really makes this album "heavy" not the guitars. I was going to make a post about this sometime.

For Those is probably one of the "heaviest" albums every with the cleanest guitars, distortion wise. If the guitars had a drier, more stripped down in your face sound I think most fans would not complain about the "gloss" — but I think the guitars perfectly fit the songs and have a beautiful clean "chime" to them that I don't get from other albums.

The album has variety, killer writing and performance and some very interesting, well written lyrics at times (Snowballed). Phil's playing is great and slightly unexpected at the right times; just hearing C.O.D. the other days I thought to myself, Phil's doing something very subtle but cool here. It's not standard 4/4. It almost felt jazzy in a cool way.

The hybrid picking on For Those the album is magnificent — parts like intro to Put The Finger are just so cool and unique. The hybrid picking is almost piano-like and no one does it like Angus. The mix of blues-based riffs with some more minor-key work is amazing and, to me, seamless. It's the perfect mix of rock n roll and heavy rock.

Flick is pure, stripped down raw rock. It doesn't have the "epic" moments of For Those and it doesn't really have the dark, brooding minor key work either. But it has it's own undeniable charm and pure fierceness that never stops.

And I was thinking about This House: this song is pure fucking sex. Not in a sleazy way but in a real, immediate, uncontrived way without pandering to the obviousness of lesser hard rock bands. I don't think you can beat that song for the vibe it delivers.

The commonality between both albums is Brian's absolutely ferocious singing. I will never hear heavy rock singing that is as ferocious and honest and full of character as I do from BIB through Flick. Ever.

Both magical, unforgettable albums. Each with its own sound and distinction. No need to choose one over the other.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 8th 2019

Goddamn Inferno, that sounds and looks so amazing!

Brian's the epitome of cool here. The little things he does with his hands and legs — yes, I know how that sounds — is pure stage brilliance.

This era exactly is my fave live band of all time. The one-two punch of Angus/Brian with the essential guys in the back is just unfuckingbeatable. THIS is what I tell people they are missing when they think 60-year-old AC/DC is brilliant live. It's exceptional for their age but SO far from their peak, both visually and sonically.
    FTATR is an album that has grown on me in the last 5-10 years. Strange as this may sound, I’m not a fan of the title track. Over exposure I suppose having been the encore/ending of every concert (almost) since it’s release.
    Both albums were always going to be let downs after Highway and BIB
    Those two set the bar so high
    But if I had to do a track by track comparison
    Ftatr over rising power
    Put the finger on you over this house is on fire
    Flick over let's get it up
    Nervous shakedown over inject the venom
    Snowballed over landslide
    Evil walks and guns ( both way to fucking great to decide )
    C.o.d over deep in the hole
    Bedlam over breaking the rules
    Badlands over night of the long knives
    Spellbound over brain shake
    So I guess it's pretty even for me
    •  
    • May 8th 2019

I agree. I think FOTS gets a lot of love because it's the underdog while FTATR is the kid with a rich daddy (BIB).

I also think FOTS gets so much attention is because it's the only commercially unsuccessful album with good production. If BUYV or FOTW had that production, I think they would be equally appreciated, if not more.

At times, I find myself feeling like FTATR is kind of trying to recreate BIB but I think that cynicism is unfair because really, there are similarities between every album. They had a bag with certain tricks and those tricks reappear on every album in all honesty. FTATR has some tracks that lean more heavily on old tricks (Put the Finger has a very Have a Drink style outro, finger picking... it feels like they just threw the whole bag of tricks into that one. But then again, you could just as well call HAD's outro a rehash of If You Want Blood's outro) but also some of their most sophisticated songwriting (Breaking the Rules? Come on!).

FOTS has many great moments, no doubt (Nervous Shakedown is a classic, end of discussion), but the very existence of plodders like the title track means it can never rise above FTATR if you ask me.

Posted By: BillyBollocksNah. FTATR is the very definition of an album with no identity to me.

Despite my appreciation for it, I have always felt the same way. And I cannot even explain why.

Posted By: soda
    Posted By: ThankassFTATR was imo focusing too much on all kind of arrangements (Mutt) and lost the rock & roll spirit a bit.

Yes, this.
    This was the first time AC/DC made an album that didn't feel like rock'n'roll.
    That's probably why I never liked it.
    FOTS was at least a good try to make a pure rock'n'roll-album.

That's why I like it. Many of AC/DC's best moments are when they push outside their comfort zone. That's how you get Ride On, Let Me Put My Love, Gone Shootin, Can't Stand Still, TRE, Two's Up, Danger...

But FTATR was absolutely still RNR. I mean come on, Inject the Venom, Snowballed, Evil Walks!

Other that that, I think Bedlam in Toronto hit the nail on the head. Both are great albums that serve their different purposes perfectly.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: carlos fandango

What happened to the real Alex Lebanon? I couldn't agree more with everything written by Alex on this thread. Very strange and slightly disconcerting.

I love FTATR, in my opinion its probably AC/DC's last truly great album. The epic scale of the sound, Brian and Phil's best performance in an AC/DC shirt, power chords galore, the fucking cannons!!!...whats not to like???

However, and I've said this before, I can totally understand that anyone who regards Powerage as their bible finding FTATR quite hard to love. It doesn't sound like the same band in so many way does it?

I love both FTATR and Powerage, but for different reasons, but you have hit the nail on the head. They do sound like different bands.
    •  
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: azelI love both FTATR and Powerage, but for different reasons, but you have hit the nail on the head. They do sound like different bands.

You mean Flick, right? You might be confusing this thread with the shit show going on over in the Power Age thread.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: azelI love both FTATR and Powerage, but for different reasons, but you have hit the nail on the head. They do sound like different bands.

You mean Flick, right? You might be confusing this thread with the shit show going on over in the Power Age thread.

No, I was responding to Mr. Fandango's comment:

"However, and I've said this before, I can totally understand that anyone who regards Powerage as their bible finding FTATR quite hard to love. It doesn't sound like the same band in so many way does it?"
    •  
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: azel

No, I was responding to Mr. Fandango's comment:

"However, and I've said this before, I can totally understand that anyone who regards Powerage as their bible finding FTATR quite hard to love. It doesn't sound like the same band in so many way does it?"

Ah. But wasn't this the Flick vs. For Those About To Rock thread? How did POWERAGE get into it?

As long as we are talking about it, I'm HUGE fan of POWERAGE and still love For Those About To Rock. And Flick.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • May 9th 2019

Matt?
    •  
    • May 9th 2019 edited

Agree with this, with the exception of PTFOY; i think PTFOY (together with EW)is the only song that does flow well. It's my favorite of the album. Songs like ITV and BTR stumble in the worst possible way due to the drum patterns.
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoIf the guitars had a drier, more stripped down in your face sound I think most fans would not complain about the "gloss" — but I think the guitars perfectly fit the songs and have a beautiful clean "chime" to them that I don't get from other albums.

The guitars seem to have a fair bit mids-boost int he mix, to further Mutt's idea of this huge sound.

But my thought has for a long time been that it's simply the long reverb on the snare drum which makes the album sound 'overproduced' - take that off, and I believe it would sound a lot more basic, and the criticism would be substantially lessened.

True though that the band might still consider it over-produced for other reasons - taking ages, countless takes, composite parts and anything else Mutt favours.
    Sheesh! Aren’t we getting a tad lost in the details here? It’s like putting a sledgehammer under a microscope when it should be the sledgehammer smashing the fuck out of the microscope.
    •  
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoIf the guitars had a drier, more stripped down in your face sound I think most fans would not complain about the "gloss" — but I think the guitars perfectly fit the songs and have a beautiful clean "chime" to them that I don't get from other albums.

The guitars seem to have a fair bit mids-boost int he mix, to further Mutt's idea of this huge sound.

But my thought has for a long time been that it's simply the long reverb on the snare drum which makes the album sound 'overproduced' - take that off, and I believe it would sound a lot more basic, and the criticism would be substantially lessened.

True though that the band might still consider it over-produced for other reasons - taking ages, countless takes, composite parts and anything else Mutt favours.
    The snare is indeed rather awful sounding. Just as the tickling of the hi-hat. But the guitar tones, though not distorted, sound massive. Especially on the ringing chords; eargasm. Take away the big snare and it still wouldn't have sounded like Ballbreaker.
    Does Shania's t-shirt say For Those About To Suck Cock? Anyhoo Phil's drums on FTATR are phenomenal. Love guitar tone and bass and vocals. All in all I would agree but also love FOTS (last great album IMO)
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoGoddamn Inferno, that sounds and looks so amazing!

Brian's the epitome of cool here. The little things he does with his hands and legs — yes, I know how that sounds — is pure stage brilliance.

This era exactly is my fave live band of all time. The one-two punch of Angus/Brian with the essential guys in the back is just unfuckingbeatable. THIS is what I tell people they are missing when they think 60-year-old AC/DC is brilliant live. It's exceptional for their age but SO far from their peak, both visually and sonically.

Brain was fucking awesome on FTATR Tour as was the whole fucking band. Every other band should have just given up
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: ThankassThe snare is indeed rather awful sounding. Just as the tickling of the hi-hat. But the guitar tones, though not distorted, sound massive. Especially on the ringing chords; eargasm. Take away the big snare and it still wouldn't have sounded like Ballbreaker.

I love the guitars - I don't think without the big snare people would have said "over-produced" too much, concerning those? There might be a few purists who point out they're EQd beyond their original sound, but Mutt always arranges that, it's same on BIB but to a lesser extent. You can hear it on High & Dry as well.

The hi-hat's a weird thing, it almost sounds like they surgically removed it and put in that ticking, closed hat instead.

I don't mind that snare reverb anyway, it's part of the fun on that album.
    • May 9th 2019

FTATR is not over produced, it's just massive. One of the great things about all three Mutt produced albums is that they don't sound dated.
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: RoccoFTATR is not over produced, it's just massive. One of the great things about all three Mutt produced albums is that they don't sound dated.

Absolutely right, Rocco. And that is quite amazing when you think we're going back 40 years!!
    Posted By: RoccoFTATR is not over produced, it's just massive. One of the great things about all three Mutt produced albums is that they don't sound dated.

and that is down to the perfect marriage of the genius and perfectionism of Mutt Lange with the gritty brilliance of AC/DC
    Posted By: carlos fandango

and that is down to the perfect marriage of the genius and perfectionism of Mutt Lange with the gritty brilliance of AC/DC

Couldn't have said it better myself
    • May 9th 2019

Posted By: 900

Absolutely right, Rocco. And that is quite amazing when you think we're going back 40 years!!

Yeah, that's really incredible. And it's a shame that FTATR doesn't get the recognition (even among the band themselves not only in the public eye) it really deserves.