To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 11th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: BrianyHere's one - Allan Holdsworth. Muzak with shredding on top.

His fans have the in-built defense of "well, you just don't get it....". No, I don't, and I hope it's not catching...

LoL. RIP Allan Holdsworth, a legendary player who inspired many great rock guitarists, but the musical style wasn't for me either. I love modal jazz, but that's totally different.

Amusing story from Jake E Lee - he said he used to play in a jazz-based band, and they loved being ultra-weird and musically on the edge. Jake said that one time, he turned up and deliberately played solos with absolutely zero musical sense, just flurries of totally jumbled random notes. Apparently the rest of the guys loved it and congratulated him on it, after which point Jake said to himself 'that's it' and left the band / genre!

Well, in Jazz, you may never truly be playing the wrong note, but you may sometimes be wearing the wrong hat.

For my own part, I don't think there's a single artist or band who I cannot stand, but there are a few artists and bands who I just don't understand the devotion to. Take Frank Zappa for example - I recognise that he was a very clever man, but I always considered that he used his cleverness to show off how clever he is, rather than writing much that was meaningful. The result was that he had a little collection of incisive novelty songs like Valley Girl, Bobby Brown and Jewish Princess, plus all this music that's all over the place. He and his band might go through every genre in one song, but say nothing in the process.

Overall, his music to me is a bit like my dad's late-night drunken all-spice omelette - an omelette where you throw a bit of everything on the spice rack into the eggs without regard to how those ingredients compliment one another.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 11th 2019

Posted By: BrianyWell, in Jazz, you may never truly be playing the wrong note, but you may sometimes be wearing the wrong hat.

But a skilled jazz player knows what that note is at any moment - so it's not a wrong note, it's in context at that moment - a passing tone, chromatics or whatever - even something deliberately discordant. Jake's point was, he was deliberately playing rubbish. But I don't know how well Holdsworth necessarily fits that idea, to me it's more that his music was just modulating all the time, super-fast I think? - not my cup o' tea.

I've heard some Zappa stuff where he has a gnarly SG tone and does some cool soloing...but for sure all a bit too weird for my tastes..
    The Van Halen demos I posted earlier has Eddie playing earlier type of Holdsworth legato runs that Holdsworth was known for when playing in the band Tempest (youtube clip around 2:15).

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 11th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakThe Van Halen demos I posted earlier has Eddie playing earlier type of Holdsworth legato runs that Holdsworth was known for when playing in the band Tempest (youtube clip around 2:15).

Holdsworth was one hell of a player, that is for sure. I read an interview where he said once he'd got his style established, it was all about minimising the sound of the pick on the strings. Then you can take someone else (also amazing) like John McLoughlin, and it was the opposite. Yet both probably had some similar major influences, such as John Coltrane.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 11th 2019

Posted By: DustDevil

Looks like the kind of thing that P-Rock would have shown.
    i f* hate Red Hot Chili Peppers, can't stand them, hate their songs and rhythms which are all the same.
    Posted By: xmaurox79i f* hate Red Hot Chili Peppers, can't stand them, hate their songs and rhythms which are all the same.

Same, but I do like pre-Californication. I really like One Hot Minute, which I guess the norm-RHCP fan hates, Blood Sugar Sex Magic was ok too and Mothers Milk really good.

But By the way, Zephyr Song, Moosejaw of Roses (or what the f it is) - terrible, lame and idiotic
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 15th 2019

Posted By: RoccoMorrissey, Placebo, Radiohead, Nickelback, Airbourne, Coldplay, Ted Nugent, Joe Bonamassa are the first ones that spring to mind.

I don't know enough about him to even consider him for my list, but if this is any indication, I can see why he made yours. Gad, this is horrible!

• AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: RoccoMorrissey, Placebo, Radiohead, Nickelback, Airbourne, Coldplay, Ted Nugent, Joe Bonamassa are the first ones that spring to mind.

I don't know enough about him to even consider him for my list, but if this is any indication, I can see why he made yours. Gad, this is horrible!

Yeah, that is, along with the fact that I can't stand his voice, the main reason I genuinely hate this prick.
    Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, Nickelback, Coldplay
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 21st 2019

The Chainsmokers
    Thinking back to the 80s...
    Duran Duran
    Tears For Fears apart from Mad World.
    INXS.
    Simple Minds
    Agree Morrissey is a prick and Morrissey solo is mosty shit.
    But the Smiths were great, obviously.