To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 5th 2019

What a great track... even with the BUYV production it still sounds so cool. The track is all about raw, grinding guitars, and no fucking about (imagine it with the FOTS production - that would be IMMENSE!)

Fantastic solo, the way if twists and turns, and somehow reverts from minor to major....it's brilliant.

It might not be a classic, but it's a banging song.
    Probably my most favorite off the album.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • May 5th 2019

On release I played it more than Heatseaker. Filth.
    This was the B-side to the Heatseeker single.
    • May 5th 2019

Posted By: JemFilth.

Jem gets it!
    Love it!
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 5th 2019

As a kid BUYV used to be one of the very first AC/DC albums I consciously listened to and Go Zone used to be my favorite song off the album and one of my favorite songs in general. It always reminded me a bit of Sin City with that descending guitar riff. Today it's my least favorite track on the album and I consider it the only really filler on BUYV. I still love that descending riff though and how sings his "Down Down Downs" to it.
    Jem are you saying Heatseeker is filth? For me it’s one of the more hard driving tracks. Love it.
    Great track, but the chorus coulda been altered a bit. The verses is where it's at.
    I don´t like it much. The band then later remade it and called it Skies on Fire, which I also don´t like.
    i remember going to the pub it had the old jukbox with the seven inch singles...and i always put the b side to heatseeker on..(go zone)as i preferd it.....and still do
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: Busted FalconJem are you saying Heatseeker is filth? For me it’s one of the more hard driving tracks. Love it.

Heatseeker is great fun. GZ is a filthy little number.
    The song of the weekend? Thankfully, the weekend's over. :)
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permThe song of the weekend? Thankfully, the weekend's over. :)

Speak for yourself, public holiday here in the UK - still bank holiday weekend!

Go Zone's a solid, powerful, thumping song. It might not light things up as an all-time classic, but it's great in its own way. I much prefer straightforward songs like Go Zone to ones where they try something a bit different.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 6th 2019

Go Zone has a serious stank of 80s rock band off of it. The stop-start riffing, the little lift before the chorus, the punny title, that slapback room sound. It's still AC/DC. Just. But it's the closest they got in sound to breaking out the shoulder pads and Charvel guitars.
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: BrianyBut it's the closest they got in sound to breaking out the shoulder pads and Charvel guitars.

Wow I just do not hear that at all. To me it's one of the more basic-sounding songs on there. I must be missing something, I hear a few people saying BUYV is 'poppy' or overly 80s' commercial.. But my main criticism was precisely the lack of hooks and classic, anthemic AC/DC choruses.

The 80s influence to me was the totally confused production; some great raw guitar sounds fighting with an attempt at a modern sound with all that reverb on everything.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • May 6th 2019

Fucking wonderful track on a great album.
    This album rules. Get yo self a ticket
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • May 6th 2019 edited

That thing before the solo is not bad, is it?
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • May 6th 2019

Fantastic underrated album. With a proper production It would have been the second best BJ era album After BIB
    •  
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: rideon77Fantastic underrated album. With a proper production It would have been the second best BJ era album After BIB

With proper production, not just in terms of sonic quality, it'd blow BIB out of the water*

*I am currently drunk and this opinion is subject to re-evaluation in the morning.
    You've got to travel south south of my hungry mouth
    and there you'll find a friend until the bitter end
    •  
    • May 6th 2019

Fine lyrics.

BIG.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: BallToucherI don´t like it much. The band then later remade it and called it Skies on Fire, which I also don´t like.

Well now, that was an interesting comment because Go Zone is one of my favorites on Blow Up Your Video and Skies On Fire is one of my least favorite on Black Ice.

I had to go play those two tracks back to back a few times. I can now hear the similarities with the tempo and some of the guitar work, but Go Zone still works much better to my ears. I don't like the staccato type riff during the verses of Skies On Fire and the chorus is just a plain bore. Go Zone has that cool pre-chorus and the whole thing feels catchier to me. You can sing along to Go Zone. Not so much Skies.
    Go Zone is great, Skies On Fire had that one great moment "Look at the skiiiiiiiiie!"
    Posted By: Infernobut Go Zone still works much better to my ears.

Well yeah, If I was forced to pick one, I'd go with Go Zone, too.
    Posted By: JanonenThat thing before the solo is not bad, is it?

The breakdown is EXCELLENT.

"What you gonna find down there?"

"Ain't no red light to stop you..."
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • May 7th 2019

It's another cracking song from an album full of cracking songs.
    •  
    • May 7th 2019

Posted By: nitroangus23Skies On Fire had that one great moment...

I must've missed it...
    Posted By: DustDevil
    Posted By: nitroangus23Skies On Fire had that one great moment...

I must've missed it...

Blink and you will, song is forgettable but can't help but love Brian's brief "look at the sky!!!" towards the end, his voice sounds awesome there.

Damn shame Brendan didn't have him use that more on the record, he still has that high shrieking vocal in there.
    Go Zone has one of the worst choruses AC/DC ever recorded.

Try this little experiment:

Listen to any one song from Back In Black, then immediately afterwards, listen to Go Zone.

Try not to cry. It's virtually impossible.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 7th 2019 edited

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

Listen to any one song from Back In Black, then immediately afterwards, listen to Go Zone.

The above statement warrants a "JFC".
    Posted By: Inferno"JFC".

That's exactly what I said when I first heard the lame ass chorus to Go Zone.
    Oh, and the chorus isn't even the worst part of the song. It's the weak ass lyrics. I guess by 1987, all the good stuff from Bon's notebook was all used up. :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 7th 2019 edited

Go Zone has a very good performance by Brian and a nice breakdown.
    But it has also the most generic, boring stop-start riffing they've ever done.
    Posted By: ThankassGo Zone has a very good performance by Brian and a nice breakdown.
    But is also has the most generic, boring stop-start riffing they've ever done.

The breakdown and Angus' solo are definitely the best parts of the song. I know 900 won't agree, but I actually enjoy it when AC/DC try something different (like the breakdown in GZ). Funny enough, I don't mind the strop-start riffing during the verses, if only this song was an instrumental!
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permGo Zone has one of the worst choruses AC/DC ever recorded.

pretty much anything from the last 35 years would apply to this statement
    Posted By: carlos fandangopretty much anything from the last 35 years would apply to this statement

For sure. But Go Zone and the final three tracks on TRE take it to another level!
    • May 7th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permI know 900 won't agree, but I actually enjoy it when AC/DC try something different (like the breakdown in GZ).

That pre-solo breakdown is great! But I don't find it all that "different" - just using a technique Ang does really well, but faster. Very cool. By "different" maybe I'm thinking of something like Kissin' Dynamite, not a bad song, but that odd note thing and chord progression, it sounds a bit forced. Or This Means War with its terrible non-chorus.... a few songs in that era signalled the band (quite understandably) running out of songwriting steam. When that happened, I preferred a meat-and-potatoes song like Go Zone to something a little more contrived.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permBut Go Zone and the final three tracks on TRE take it to another level!

you mean take it down several levels...subterranean
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permOh, and the chorus isn't even the worst part of the song. It's the weak ass lyrics. I guess by 1987, all the good stuff from Bon's notebook was all used up. :)

You need help. The lyrics on BUYV were great...

"Givin' you directions
    You don't have to use your feet
    (Why, we're on the same street, baby)

You've got to travel south
    South of my hungry mouth
    And there you'll find a friend
    Until the bitter end"

"Slow plane, hard rain
    Cold sweat and I feel the strain
    Look down, no ground
    Black sky, just the engine sound
    Bail out, goodbye
    Take my chances, I don't want to die"

"Last stand, and on my last dime
    I ain't got the sense to leave, the dealer's cutting fine"

"Who go there is it friend or foe?
    Propaganda time on the radio
    Top brass shout as they clown around
    And peace talks die in Geneva town
    Do you know what it means?"

"Hear a rustle from behind a tree
    Get you runnin' home to sanctuary
    Bolt the door, and you think you're safe?
    Ha-ha, ha-ha
    Wrong again, child!"

"She goes struttin' 'round, and she shows so much
    With a neon sign saying, "Don't you touch"
    Between the devil and the deep blue sea
    She use me like an anchor, got a hold on me"

And of course the entirety of Meansteak is just great lyrics. Sure, there's no Powerage level poetry there but most of Bon's other lyrics weren't that level either.
    • May 8th 2019

I think Brian's writing on BUYV was great. It seemed like he was trying to be imaginative, not just rehash the same things over and over.
    So what is Go Zone lyrics about?
    Posted By: MeanstreakSo what is Go Zone lyrics about?

Going on a vacation to some amusement park.

Something kinky happens with a beaver.

No need for the FBI to investigate.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakSo what is Go Zone lyrics about?

Going on a vacation to some amusement park.

Something kinky happens with a beaver.

No need for the FBI to investigate.

LOL
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 10th 2019

Sounds like a fascinating story XD
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot

The lyrics on BUYV were great...

"Givin' you directions
    You don't have to use your feet
    (Why, we're on the same street, baby)

You've got to travel south
    South of my hungry mouth
    And there you'll find a friend
    Until the bitter end"

"Hear a rustle from behind a tree
    Get you runnin' home to sanctuary
    Bolt the door, and you think you're safe?
    Ha-ha, ha-ha
    Wrong again, child!"

Those were the pre-Me-Too days..
    I still think Brian's lyrics are what the TRE onwards records have been missing.

Would improve them all instantly.
    Posted By: nitroangus23I still think Brian's lyrics are what the TRE onwards records ha been missing.

And don't forget Mutt Lange's expertise. Mutt and AC/DC had a special alchemy together that's never been duplicated. Even with their success, Def Leppard with Mutt was never as interesting musically as AC/DC with Rober John Lange behind the recording console. Def Leppard were basically his little bitches who just did what they were told so they could become pop metal superstars. AC/DC were much more equals when they worked with Mutt. I doubt Mal and Angus jumped every time Mutt said so, unlike the little Leppards.
    Posted By: nitroangus23I still think Brian's lyrics are what the TRE onwards records ha been missing.

And don't forget Mutt Lange's expertise. Mutt and AC/DC had a special alchemy together that's never been duplicated. Even with their success, Def Leppard with Mutt was never as interesting musically as AC/DC with Rober John Lange behind the recording console. Def Leppard were basically his little bitches who just did what they were told so they could become pop metal superstars. AC/DC were much more equals when they worked with Mutt. I doubt Mal and Angus jumped every time Mutt said so, unlike the little Leppards.

Interesting point. The Mutt albums with AC/DC sound nothing like the Mutt albums with Def Leppard. I wonder how much of that was the band resisting/caving in or Mutt learning more about the studio in later years?