To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • May 5th 2019

Powerage turns 41 years old today.

In order to celebrate, I rehash this fantastic piece about AC/DC's "indie" album.

https://thequietus.c...

Below, please appreciate Powerage.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • May 5th 2019

;)

Joking aside, great album. Not their best, but very good nonetheless. Riff Raff is pure riffage. That solo is a face melter.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • May 5th 2019

I appreciate this album.
    To me it is 3/5 album. I know that I am an outsider on this, but I just never got all the glory. Good album of course

Sin City and RnR Damnation are the two 5+++++/5 songs to me. Solid other songs too of course, one real stinker only that is Up to my Neck in You - was terrified when they for some reason took this on to the SUL tour; would rather heard about anything else, even Snake Eye!

But all hail Powerage
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 5th 2019 edited

To me, it's all 10/10 stars songs... from start to finish. Greatest Rock'N'Roll record ever made.

So much magic compressed on such a relatively short album...unbelievable.
    Only Let There Be Rock beats Powerage for me, both fantastic albums
    For me DC's best album, when you think Powerage followed let there be rock and was released before both highway to hell and back in black.
    All four albums of pure rock and roll class.
    Has any other band ever released four studio albums on the bounce with such pedigree?
    LTBR and Powerage are 1A and 1B for me, depending on the day and my mood. Powerage has easily the best lyrics of any AC/DC album and Bon is on fire on songs like UTMNIY, Sin City, and DPB. Brilliant album.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 5th 2019

Posted By: Jake VitaleOnly Let There Be Rock beats Powerage for me, both fantastic albums

^This. Except that Powerage sometimes beats LTBR for me. Best of the Bon era.
    • AC/DC rock music: Sellen
    • May 5th 2019

^ Agree
    Some people are into the guitar and riffs. Some are into lyrics. I like both, but lean heavier on good lyrics. I like a song that tells me a story. For that reason, Powerage is my favorite AC/DC album. From tip to tail, it's pure excellence.
    Rock and Roll Damnation is hard boogie rock at its finest

Down Payment Blues is one of the most feeling-heavy tracks they ever fucking did. You can feel the anguish in Bon's voice, and that, mixed with Mal's pounding rhythm part, Angus' bluesy soloing, Rudd's trademark "driving" sound, and a steady bass part that ties it all together makes this song one hell of a journey. The lyrics are a good afterthought, but the music is what makes this a top 10 track for me. The "cheesy" blues ending is absolutely perfect.

Gimme a Bullet - The most melodic they got on this album. The production also feels a bit nicer - maybe it's the bassline, which is phenomenal. I don't have to explain why this song is good. Bon and Mal are the centerpiece, here, and it's a passionately hard rocker.

Riff Raff - Angus is god.

Sin City - Once again, there's no need to explain. Phenomenal track.

What's Next to the Moon - A bit experimental on the songwriting side of things, but it works perfectly. Long arm looking for a fingerprint.... Mal absolutely kills it here. No, the whole fucking band kills it here.

Gone Shootin - &($@)#(%!_@#$*%@!!!!!!

UTMNIY - Rock. And. Roll. Weakest track on the album IMO, but one of their most defining songs. Still, it's an excellent track.

Kicked in the Teeth - Fun. That's what this album is all about. Bon is screaming, Angus is wailing, Malcolm is pounding, Rudd is grooving, and Cliff is setting the groundwork for it and making it one, brilliant sound.

Yes, it took me quite a while to really love this album. It's a lot harder to fully get into that HTH or BIB, but it's their most well rounded album. It doesn't have the best tracklist, but it's arguably the best and most defining ACDC experience you could possibly have other than a live concert.

Is it my favorite? It rotates between this, LTBR, HTH, and BIB.

Happy 41st!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • May 5th 2019

It’s simply the greatest rock and roll record ever recorded.

https://acdcblogeatb...
    This album jumps from classic to classic. When you think you've heard the best song, then the next one comes on and you go 'Fuck Yeah!'. My constant go-to album.
    Listen to Mal on Riff Raff during the solo. I miss Mal more than I miss Bon.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • May 5th 2019

Great album. My favorite of them all.
    Best damn album ever created
    Excellent album. Favorite song is Sin City followed by DPB but I like all of the songs on it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • May 6th 2019

Mine too. I like all their albums (some more than others) but powerage has everything for me.
    I think it's truly astonishing that between the recording sessions for Powerage (July 1977 and January 1978) Vanda and Young were also writing and recording this:

Michael Hann's review mentioned the 'shakers' and 'tambourines' used in Rock 'n' Roll Damnation. The JPY session of Love Is In The Air was still obviously reverberating in their heads.
    • AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • May 6th 2019

When i listened to BIB, HTH or LTBR for the first time it literally made me raise my fists and jump around immediately.
    But Powerage was a different beast. When i put it on the turn table for the first time, i was like "O.K. this is a good album, i should listen to it one more time". Five weeks later i started to recognize, that i'm still listening to it over and over again, and that haven't listened to anything else all the time. There is no other album that had an effect like this on me (perhaps Exile On Main St. comes close)
    It is a good album by all means, but I never understood the praise it gets.
    •  
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: acdc1988When i listened to BIB, HTH or LTBR for the first time it literally made me raise my fists and jump around immediately.
    But Powerage was a different beast. When i put it on the turn table for the first time, i was like "O.K. this is a good album, i should listen to it one more time". Five weeks later i started to recognize, that i'm still listening to it over and over again, and that haven't listened to anything else all the time. There is no other album that had an effect like this on me (perhaps Exile On Main St. comes close)

Exactly my experience:)
    the flash inbetween..stands and salutes this thread......fantastic album
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • May 6th 2019

Its essential rock n roll from a band who do it better than all the rest.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • May 6th 2019

Nothing I could say could do it justice.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 6th 2019

Great album, great songs, great everything. I see this album as the dream team that's just 2 matches away from the championship, in other words it's not their best but comes really close. Loved it then, love it now and will always love it. Bon's poetry peak.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 6th 2019

Powerage was Let There Be Rock, Refined. It took everything from LTBR and focused it, tidied it up, and concentrated the power. The structures were a little more sophisticated, and the songwriting became that much wittier. It was the record where the needle went from 'best rock band to come out of Aus' to 'one of the best in the world'.

You take someone who likes Rock, but never got into AC/DC, and you sit them down with Gimme a Bullet on a good soundsystem, and they will walk out of there an AC/DC fan.
    •  
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: BrianyPowerage was Let There Be Rock, Refined.

Exactly. It hit the perfect balance between the rawness of LTBR and the streamlined, accessible HTH.
    It's AC/DC at their finest hour IMO. Just look at the "electrified" Angus on the cover: Perfectly depicts the state the band was in, tells you everything you need to know:)
    That's why their Bandname was always so fitting.
    I wonder if the album cover changes how we perceive the music on the album? What if Powerage had a cartoonish cover like that Bon Scott original European High Voltage cover with Bon & the microphone? Dr. Belford is right, the album cover tells you what is inside. People eat with their eyes. I also wonder if we don't listen with our eyes as well? Had I only heard Powerage as mp3 files, would I feel the same way about it? As it was, I owned the vinyl and spent countless hours with it, looking at the cover and back, while spinning the disk.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 6th 2019

LTBR - Powerage is arguably the best 1-2 punch in R&R history.

Closely followed by
    Sticky Fingers - Exile
    Led Zep 1 - Led Zep 2
    Powerage is their 2nd best album after Back in Black. Love it
    Posted By: Jack B. NimbleI wonder if the album cover changes how we perceive the music on the album? What if Powerage had a cartoonish cover like that Bon Scott original European High Voltage cover with Bon & the microphone? Dr. Belford is right, the album cover tells you what is inside. People eat with their eyes. I also wonder if we don't listen with our eyes as well? Had I only heard Powerage as mp3 files, would I feel the same way about it? As it was, I owned the vinyl and spent countless hours with it, looking at the cover and back, while spinning the disk.
    100% agree. Album covers determine the mood of the album from the start. Powerage and BIB have a darker and more open feeling, whereas HTH feels somewhat warm and enclosed. LTBR feels grand and lively, while Fly has an annoying ass orange and cartoon-y feeling to it. Perspective is everything.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: Jack B. NimbleI wonder if the album cover changes how we perceive the music on the album? What if Powerage had a cartoonish cover like that Bon Scott original European High Voltage cover with Bon & the microphone? Dr. Belford is right, the album cover tells you what is inside. People eat with their eyes. I also wonder if we don't listen with our eyes as well? Had I only heard Powerage as mp3 files, would I feel the same way about it? As it was, I owned the vinyl and spent countless hours with it, looking at the cover and back, while spinning the disk.

This is actually a pretty good question, that is hard to answer IMO. I think a great artwork definitely makes a great record even better. And the Powerage cover is probably, along with HTH, my favourite one by the boys.
    •  
    • May 6th 2019

BIB with a FOTW cover art. Hmmmmm. No wouldn't work.
    Colour phsychology is indeed very important in one's expectations and experiences.
    Posted By: ThankassBIB with a FOTW cover art. Hmmmmm. No wouldn't work.
    Colour phsychology is indeed very important in one's expectations and experiences.
    Bingo
    Their best album. Period.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • May 6th 2019

The big question is though...

How do you pronounce it? “Power-age”, or “Poweridge”?
    •  
    • May 6th 2019

Posted By: benjiThe big question is though...

It refers to the Ice Idge and the Stone Idge

I said Poweridge until I heard Bon say “Power Age” in an interview
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 6th 2019

If it was supposed to be Power-age, they would have made it two separate words.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 6th 2019

I think I remember Angus saying in an interview that the meaning of the title is Power Age. That would mean it's pronounced Powerage.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • May 6th 2019

Angus at 1:50 mark

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

I said Poweridge until I heard Bon say “Power Age” in an interview

Bon also said Poweridge during a gig right before Gone Shootin’.... might be the Dutch gig
    Posted By: BrianyIf it was supposed to be Power-age, they would have made it two separate words.

This from the band that gave us "The Razors Edge", "Moneytalks", "Given the Dog a Bone", et al.

It's Power Age.
    Song for song, LTBR defeats it quite easily but PA is just so much more coherent (musically, lyrically, everything) that it just shades its predecessor and their best album but fuck it's close. Feel exactly the same way about Sticky Fingers vs LIB.
    I'm not sure why there is confusion about how the name is pronounced, "Poweridge" is not even a word.

Jack is right, just because they didn't separate it doesn't mean anything. They've done that with other titles as well. Angus and Malcolm said in an interview that it's "Power Age", in the same way as the Ice Age, Stone Age, etc. The interview is on the Donington 91 DVD if anyone wants to listen to it.

Posted By: SpellboundBon also said Poweridge during a gig right before Gone Shootin’.... might be the Dutch gig

I went and listened to that. It does kinda sound like it but I think he is just trying to say it fast.
    Bon's best lyrics, hands down.

Posted By: ThankassBIB with a FOTW cover art. Hmmmmm. No wouldn't work.

True. And Black is considered a very classic color.

Posted By: ShootToThrillI'm not sure why there is confusion about how the name is pronounced, "Poweridge" is not even a word.

Well that's just it, it's not a word, so why would you pronounce it as if it were two words that do exist when it is presented as one word that does not exist? Lots of bands make up words for their titles. I'm not saying that's the case here, it seems like it's not, but at this point, most people have been calling it that for the past 40+ years. It also makes the title more unique.
    •  
    • May 7th 2019 edited

Ok then. it's POWER RAGE

or just normal Power-age

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotWell that's just it, it's not a word, so why would you pronounce it as if it were two words that do exist when it is presented as one word that does not exist? Lots of bands make up words for their titles. I'm not saying that's the case here, it seems like it's not, but at this point, most people have been calling it that for the past 40+ years. It also makes the title more unique.

But it doesn't mean anything as one word. When it's split into two words it does mean something. So which seems more likely to be the real title?

All the fans I've met in real life have called it Power Age.

Also, if you look closely at the album cover there is more space between the "R" and the "A" compared to all the other letters.