To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Always thought Smoke on the Water was very overrated, but I just listened to the entirety of Deep Purple in Rock and it was fucking phenomenal. It's got riffs up the ass, a perfect early 70's "classic" sound that I was looking for, and a hell of a tracklist.

Any thoughts?
    This live album is really worth listening to in one sitting and turned up LOUD. Truly a record you can lose yourself in:

https://en.wikipedia...

Their finest hour IMHO:

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinAlways thought Smoke on the Water was very overrated, but I just listened to the entirety of Deep Purple in Rock and it was fucking phenomenal. It's got riffs up the ass, a perfect early 70's "classic" sound that I was looking for, and a hell of a tracklist.

Any thoughts?

I marginally prefer In Rock to Machine Head but i'd say that's a minority opinion. For most people Machine Head is Deep Purple's classic album, their Back in Black.

I also love Fireball and Burn - they get a bit overlooked but they're great.

In Rock is great, Ian screams his tits off on Bloodsucker. Machine Head is a classic even though Smoke on the Water is overplayed. Love Perfect Strangers, and even some of Purple's later stuff like Now What?! is great.
    While on the subject of Purple, their accountant was caught stealing money from them.

https://www.louderso...
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinAlways thought Smoke on the Water was very overrated, but I just listened to the entirety of Deep Purple in Rock and it was fucking phenomenal. It's got riffs up the ass, a perfect early 70's "classic" sound that I was looking for, and a hell of a tracklist.

Any thoughts?

I marginally prefer In Rock to Machine Head but i'd say that's a minority opinion. For most people Machine Head is Deep Purple's classic album, their Back in Black.
    Ah, thanks for the recommendation. It's always nice to see a highly rated live album, as they play the majority of their hits and, as with many flat out rock bands, they really shine live. I've heard of Machine Head being one of those groundbreaking albums, but Smoke on the Water always felt bland.
    Machine Head and Burn are amazing albums. I have a great memory being in the car with AngusRudd's dad listening to the full album
    • AC/DC rock music: BillyBob
    • May 3rd 2019

Love me some Deep Purple. In Rock is a great album. Child in Time is epic. Never get tired of it. The other albums mentioned are good too. They maintained a really high level across a number of related styles. They had some really 'hippie' stuff at the beginning before going full hard rock. Spinal Tap gigs them pretty good (not by name) when they reference Spinal Tap's 'flower child era'.

I saw them when they reformed the classic Mark II lineup during the Perfect Strangers tour in 1985. They were absolutely on fire. I think that was probably the best live show I've ever seen. Definitely in the top 2 or 3.

When I was quite young and just getting really into AC/DC and other hard rock I was browsing in a bookstore (yes, I'm old) looking through some kind of Rock and Roll encyclopedia. To this day i remember that they dismissed AC/DC as 'Deep Purple imitators'. LOL!!! Outside of Smoke on the Water, I didn't know much about them. This comment piqued my curiosity so i started listening to them. Actually started with Made in Japan. I came to love them, but the notion that AC/DC were imitating Deep Purple or even sounded at all like them is absurd.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • May 3rd 2019

Any thoughts?

I've never really paid much attention to them, but you've inspired me to change that!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 3rd 2019 edited

Great band with fanatastic musicians who got a a great feel for rhythm. Truly one of the big three when it comes to the birth of heavy rock.
    With Coverdale and Hughes still fine with Burn as a absolute classic.
    As Alex already posted Highway Star from Made in Japan (one of the best songs ever), i'll keep it to Lazy.

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 3rd 2019

Ian Gillan was / is a singer with a fuckload of character, and in the old days had some pretty amazing abilities. He's also seemingly a totally cool and likeable chap.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • May 3rd 2019

Made in Japan is one of the greatest live albums ever. There is a 3 disc set available with the full concerts on also. Thats the best option. Love the start to one of the gigs when Gillan is heard saying "can we have everything louder than everything else"

Of course MH, In Rock and Fireball all classics...I wouldn't like to call my favourite as they are musically surprisingly different. A worthy 4th place for me goes not to Burn (I love the title track, but most of the rest of the album is a bit "meh" for me) is Perfect Strangers. Not a single filler on that album. Title track is awesome...and who doesn't love Knocking at your Back Door - the song and also ......
    •  
    • May 3rd 2019

Knocking At Your Back Door is a very good song. A typical old school '70s sound made in '84!
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • May 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: 900Ian Gillan was / is a singer with a fuckload of character, and in the old days had some pretty amazing abilities. He's also seemingly a totally cool and likeable chap.

I got to spend a lot of time with Ian Gillan when he did the Garth Rockett & The Moonshiners tour in 1989. I went to all 22 dates and Gillan was so much fun to be around. I remember a real Spinal Tap moment after the Dundee show when we were trying to get out of the building and we're going up and down corridors, through the kitchen etc trying to find a door that wasn't locked. When we finally found an unlocked exit, we walked out and Ian quipped "Hello Cleveland!"
    You should listen to Gillan's voice on the original Jesus Christ Superstar album and on Concerto For Group & Orchestra... fook me he had some pipes on him.
    Of course there's the AC/DC-Deep Purple connections with the Sunbury 75 Festival brawl and I'd kill to have seen one of the shows on the Burn tour when Geordie supported Purple.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 3rd 2019

Posted By: Goulash
    Posted By: 900Ian Gillan was / is a singer with a fuckload of character, and in the old days had some pretty amazing abilities. He's also seemingly a totally cool and likeable chap.

I got to spend a lot of time with Ian Gillan when he did the Garth Rockett & The Moonshiners tour in 1989. I went to all 22 dates and Gillan was so much fun to be around. I remember a real Spinal Tap moment after the Dundee show when we were trying to get out of the building and we're going up and down corridors, through the kitchen etc trying to find a door that wasn't locked. When we finally found an unlocked exit, we walked out and Ian quipped "Hello Cleveland!"
    You should listen to Gillan's voice on the original Jesus Christ Superstar album and on Concerto For Group & Orchestra... fook me he had some pipes on him.
    Of course there's the AC/DC-Deep Purple connections with the Sunbury 75 Festival brawl and I'd kill to have seen one of the shows on the Burn tour when Geordie supported Purple.

Didn't know Geordie supported Deep Purple. Must have been a killer show.
    •  
    • May 3rd 2019 edited

I'd kill to have seen one of the shows on the Burn tour when Geordie supported Purple.
    Was during:

https://www.purple.d...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 3rd 2019

Here's where Ritchie Blackmore copy-pasted the riff for Smoke on the water:

Wow - this is blatant!
    • May 3rd 2019

Posted By: GoulashI got to spend a lot of time with Ian Gillan when he did the Garth Rockett & The Moonshiners tour in 1989. I went to all 22 dates and Gillan was so much fun to be around. I remember a real Spinal Tap moment after the Dundee show when we were trying to get out of the building and we're going up and down corridors, through the kitchen etc trying to find a door that wasn't locked. When we finally found an unlocked exit, we walked out and Ian quipped "Hello Cleveland!"

Great stuff! I can imagine he was a right laugh - seems a very educated, intelligent guy - yet humble.

I remember years and years ago he was on Tommy Vance's BBC radio show and I found him really engaging and entertaining - promoting The House of Blue Light, I think...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • May 3rd 2019 edited

I have Machine Head, In Rock, Fireball, Perfect Strangers and Nobody's Perfect (live album). A pretty unknown song on Machine Head, Maybe I'm a Leo, is really good. Perfect Strangers basically has two good songs: Perfect Strangers and Knocking At Your Backdoor. The band is a little bit uneven in my view. Never was a huge fan. Classical band nonetheless, with nobody other than Ritchie Blackmore. Also, great drummer, Ian Paice. Strangely, I was into Rainbow more than Deep Purple. I wasn't too much into keyboard in rock music for a while and in some sense still is not, as I prefer AC/DC.

Purple had several different incarnations and Come and Taste The Band with Tommy Bolin and David Coverdale is a good and groovy album, with more funk and soul influences. Might prefer that of their discography.

Of House of The Blue Light, I remember a song called Bad Attitude, with a good main riff.

Also, with Joe Lynn Turner they became more poppy. Not bad though. Probably more like Rainbow with Turner.

I haven't listened to the newest Purple with Steve Morse at all. Not that I have anything against it. But, it hasn't interested me.
    • May 3rd 2019

The music was unusual in that Blackmore came out of blues rock and embraced a lot of that... but then brought in more classical ideas. Same with Uli Roth in the Scorpions, who was massively into Hendrix but then brought all this other stuff, use of the modes and things..

And then later on Malmsteen, greatly influenced by both those guys (including taking on some of Blackmore's naff stage mannerisms!) and taking classicial influence to a whole new level, but still within hard rock genres.

More importantly, in the battle of the toupées, Blackmore's was at least quite convincing, Joe Lynn Turner's was a bit over-the-top but of high quality....Ian Paice's toupée in the 80s though....oh dear!
    • May 3rd 2019

Posted By: 900The music was unusual in that Blackmore came out of blues rock and embraced a lot of that... but then brought in more classical ideas. Same with Uli Roth in the Scorpions, who was massively into Hendrix but then brought all this other stuff, use of the modes and things..

And then later on Malmsteen, greatly influenced by both those guys (including taking on some of Blackmore's naff stage mannerisms!) and taking classicial influence to a whole new level, but still within hard rock genres.

More importantly, in the battle of the toupées, Blackmore's was at least quite convincing, Joe Lynn Turner's was a bit over-the-top but of high quality....Ian Paice's toupée in the 80s though....oh dear!

Best rug in rock award goes to...
    Don Dokken
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • May 3rd 2019

I haven't listened to the newest Purple with Steve Morse at all. Not that I have anything against it. But, it hasn't interested me.

Some of the Morse stuff is pretty good, some less so. In case it interest you, this is my favourite Morse era track, Ted the Mechanic. Quirky song with cool lyrics and some nice riffs

• May 3rd 2019

Posted By: GoulashBest rug in rock award goes to...
    Don Dokken

hahaha OMG yeah

And Kevin DuBrow (RIP) had quite a selection as well..
    Posted By: DustDevil

Any thoughts?

I've never really paid much attention to them, but you've inspired me to change that!
    Glad to hear it. It’s blistering hard rock with a keyboard
    Loved their reunion album back in '84!

^ that sounds more hair metal than most hair metal bands ever did.
    • May 3rd 2019

Posted By: 900
    Don Dokken

hahaha OMG yeah

In Japan in 2001, Mal said to Jonna and Cliff "What was the name of the bloke that supported us? Y'know... 'No wig, no gig!'?" I said "What tour was it?" and Mal said "Blow Up Your Video tour." I said "Was it Dokken?" and Mal goes "Yeah, that it. Don Dokken!" and gave out that wonderful chuckle of his. Mal was and still is my all-time hero. God I miss the fella.
    Posted By: BallToucher^ that sounds more hair metal than most hair metal bands ever did.

Really? I don't remember too many hair metal bands having a cool sounding Hammond organ and powerful John Bonham-esque drumming.
    The vocal melody and choruses are pretty hair metal in my book, but to each their own. I like some hair metal too, anyway!
    How can hair be made of metal?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • May 3rd 2019

One of my favourite bands. Have some really good songs, been listening to Perfect Strangers a lot lately. Mark II one of the best lineups in rock history for sure, all great musicians.
    • May 3rd 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakHow can hair be made of metal?

Bol
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • May 3rd 2019

Amazing band- with Ritchie. No one has mentioned the Stormbringer album, skip Glens "Holy Man" snooze and it's a great listen. Songs like the title track, The Gypsy, Soldier of Fortune give a taste of where Ritchie would go with Rainbow.
    And while "Japan" is the quintessential live album, Ritchies final performance on Live in Paris 75 is a great listen.

Posted By: RikhaHere's where Ritchie Blackmore copy-pasted the riff for Smoke on the water:

The riff is Beethoven's fifth backwards. Start watching at 3.45 in:

As far as Deep Purple go they were one of my favourite bands growing up. Machine Head was the best thing they did. When they reformed I bought Perfect Strangers the day it came out but it was a total letdown. Knocking at your back door is the only half decent track, don't even like the title track. They were basically a greatest hits band when they came back and when Blackmore left again they weren't Purple anymore. Ian Paice is/was a great drummer though.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 4th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Don Dokken

hahaha OMG yeah

In Japan in 2001, Mal said to Jonna and Cliff "What was the name of the bloke that supported us? Y'know... 'No wig, no gig!'?" I said "What tour was it?" and Mal said "Blow Up Your Video tour." I said "Was it Dokken?" and Mal goes "Yeah, that it. Don Dokken!" and gave out that wonderful chuckle of his. Mal was and still is my all-time hero. God I miss the fella.

LOL, I love these stories of you!
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • May 4th 2019

Stormbringer and Burn are by far my favourites
    Posted By: rideon77Stormbringer and Burn are by far my favourites

Over In Rock and Machine Head?!
    Each to their own but isn't that a bit like rating, I dunno, LTBR and Flick over HTH and BIB? :)
    Posted By: MeanstreakI have Machine Head, In Rock, Fireball, Perfect Strangers and Nobody's Perfect (live album). A pretty unknown song on Machine Head, Maybe I'm a Leo, is really good.

Every song on that album was a classic. Leo, Lazy (!!!), Space Truckin, Pictures of Home, Never Before... I learned the whole Lazy keyboard solo on guitar because it is just a fucking masterpiece.

Definitely their BIB. Top notch production, too.
    How is Deep Purple not in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, but Janet "lip synch" Jackson is?
    They were inducted in 2016. Supposedly Gillan barred Blackmore, Hughes and Coverdale from appearing. Now why it took so long for them to be inducted is a mystery.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permHow is Deep Purple not in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, but Janet "lip synch" Jackson is?

They are - as of 2016 which was shockingly late.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permHow is Deep Purple not in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, but Janet "lip synch" Jackson is?

Janet Jackson is rock n' roll and Deep Purple are not?