To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: Mysterio
    • Apr 30th 2019

So when it comes to the following factors of how these bands have operated and influenced music/bands.

Who has the best overall Career? AC/DC
    Who has the tighter albums? Van Halen
    Who is better live. AC/DC
    Who has better songs Aerosmith
    Who is more influential to upcoming bands. All three. Hard to say for me. I have to think about it more.
    Well AC/DC is a world band, the other two are not. Well ok Aerosmith might be, but they are not on the AC/DC level. Van Halen never cared for anything outside the US, bummer for those morons since the rock market is just as big or even bigger outside US.
    Best career: AC/DC
    Tighter Albums? ?
    Live: AC/DC
    Better Songs: AC/DC
    Most influential: Easily AC/DC
    The boys are the best band, hands down. I can listen to and enjoy Van Halen. Aerosmith was never my cup of tea. There is too much going on in their music. The music is not sparse enough if that makes any sense. There are no "empty spaces" to let your mind fill in the gaps.
    AC/DC all the way. If Aerosmith had stopped making records after 1977, (and Van Halen after 1984) it might be a different story. Rocks is super tight, so are the Roth era VH albums.

Side note: it is possible that my ears deceive me, but at the RRHOF induction back in '03, didn't Brian call Steven Tyler "Smithie"? That cracked me up.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 1st 2019

What are "tighter albums"?
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 1st 2019

Can't see that Ac/dc have that much in common at all with those bands.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • May 1st 2019

AC/DC is the answer.

Always.
    Pointless thread.
    AC/DC are in the same weight class as the greats - Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin.
    I like Aerosmith and VH a lot but they are clearly not top tier.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 1st 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonPointless thread.
    AC/DC are in the same weight class as the greats - Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin.
    I like Aerosmith and VH a lot but they are clearly not top tier.

Yep, that's the thing. Bands like Aerosmith and VH, while great, are simply not in the same league with AC/DC at this point. They're more in the same league with bands like GNR etc.
    Posted By: RoccoWhat are "tighter albums"?

Van Halen never released indulgent double albums about the moons of Neptune featuring Rick Wakeman.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • May 1st 2019 edited

I think they're all great bands on every level. Would love to see all three tour together (although it'll never happen). Would be a great show, no doubt.
    Posted By: RoccoWhat are "tighter albums"?

Tighter album sleeves.
    Its amazing Aerosmith are still playing live with the original line up.
    Two amazing rock n roll bands, whose 70's work was Godly, legendary, oozing class

And Van Halen
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 2nd 2019

Posted By: carolinareaperIts amazing Aerosmith are still playing live with the original line up.
    It is. And Steven even didn't loose that much of his chops. Very entertaining R&R band that was just bigger than ac/dc in the late '70s and just as big as ac/dc in the late '80s and early '90s. After that they somewhat lost their worldwide appeal, where ac/dc gained even more appeal.
    • May 2nd 2019

By Tighter Albums. I mean little to no fillers.
    • May 2nd 2019

I guess we have all different vibes about top tier bands. My random thoughts are this......

I put AC/DC with these bands. Black Sabbath/Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Scorpions/Aerosmith/Heart/Rush/Boston/Cheap Trick/Journey/Boston/Van Halen. Big bands of the 70's.

I feel like when bands are mentioned with their peers. AC/DC is always a peer of Aerosmith/Van Halen for the most part.

AC/DC is rock solid live. They have a solid sound. Aerosmith have more variety in their sound.
    • May 2nd 2019

I was born in 1971. I came of age in the 80's. Out of all the bands out there. Even though Zeppelin is my actual favourite. I could not get away from AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith.
    Posted By: carolinareaperIts amazing Aerosmith are still playing live with the original line up.

agreed, totally defies all laws known to man
    Posted By: MysterioI guess we have all different vibes about top tier bands. My random thoughts are this......

I put AC/DC with these bands. Black Sabbath/Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Scorpions/Aerosmith/Heart/Rush/Boston/Cheap Trick/Journey/Boston/Van Halen. Big bands of the 70's.

I feel like when bands are mentioned with their peers. AC/DC is always a peer of Aerosmith/Van Halen for the most part.

AC/DC is rock solid live. They have a solid sound. Aerosmith have more variety in their sound.

Fair point. You're right that AC/DC came up in that era and maybe were associated with those bands at the time but now history judges them as a way way bigger deal than all of them except Black Sabbath who's place rock history is assured because they invented metal.

Its a bit like the in 1980s Madonna and Cindy Lauper were neck and neck for a while - so were U2 and Simple Minds - both bands played Wembley Stadiumi the same summer. Now it seems crazy they were ever mentioned in the same breath, at least commercially.

Hindsight skews things - sometimes negatively - but maybe it can also sort people into their correct position in the hierarchy. Look at Nick Drake - he was barely a blip in his lifetime, now he's treated (rightly) as a genius songwriter, enjoying equal status with Bob Dylan etc.
    • May 2nd 2019

ZZ Top, too. Even longer than Aerosmith.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 2nd 2019

Posted By: JemAC/DC is the answer.

Always.

This.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 2nd 2019

Aerosmith has better songs than AC/DC and VH? WTF???
    Can't say much about Aerosmith, as I've never gotten into them.

I can say that ACDC is better than VH.

I absolutely love both bands, but ACDC's albums, to me, are much more consistent, and, unlike VH, I don't lose interest in ACDC when the new singer comes in (Brian kicks Hagar's ass with ease IMO). The Roth era had some fantastic albums, but the only 3 that come anywhere near ACDC's top 5 or 6 are the debut, Fair Warning, and 1984, and each of those have 1 or 2 tracks weaker than the rest.

While tracks like Hot for Teacher, Panama, Unchained, much of the debut, and Meanstreet are on-par with some of ACDC's greatest, the overall body of songs they have in what I consider to be their prime is weaker. That being said, they've got a shitload of other great tracks, but ACDC simply has more of the top tier stuff.

You could argue for any of these bands, as it all depends on what you're the biggest fan of. Once again, I don't know shit about Aerosmith, but VH fans could argue that ACDC never branched out, or that Angus wasn't as influential as Eddie, or that you simply like VH's sound more than ACDC's.
    Easily my favourite two VH albums are the debut and W&CF but, for me, neither can touch anything in the LTBR to BIB run. At the end of the day there is something a bit glossy and disposable about VH whereas AC/DC's best records are hewn in granite.
    • May 3rd 2019

All the tribute bands in my city play some sort of AC/DC in the setlist. There are two active AC/DC tribute bands in my city. Whole Lotta Angus and Jailbreak.

AC/DC sound is very distinct. So is Van Halen. Aerosmith a little less. Love all three bands. At this moment though. AC/DC and Aerosmith are rock solid live. I have seen Aerosmith a bit more than AC/DC. I do believe that Angus Young is the best guitar slinger alive right now. Always rock solid.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • May 3rd 2019

I'll gloss over the Gold medallists, and stick to Aerosmith vs Van Halen.

Personal preference is for Aerosmith out of them two. Better songs, better back catalogue, and seeing as Van Halen are lazy cunts that don't venture further than walking distance from their own house, better live band.
    I don't know how long this been accessible for listening, but it was pretty interesting to hear:

Been out in the internet for a number of years always dug the demos from these sessions and the later ones before they were signed.

Some great stuff on there and you can really hear what Ted Templeman brought to their sound, he really helped push them to the top.

The songs are strong already on the demos a
    but Ted polished them and made them better.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 9th 2019

Wow, this is so cool...

The energy when they all come crashing in....the classic tight snare drum sound from AVH..... Ed and Samuel have grown their hair, they sound great, the whole thing sounds like the album version... the irrepressible Michael Anthony...

I know some prefer the Roth stuff, but this is the best VH for me, a complete, highly original-sounding rock band...

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: 900Wow, this is so cool...

The energy when they all come crashing in....the classic tight snare drum sound from AVH..... Ed and Samuel have grown their hair, they sound great, the whole thing sounds like the album version... the irrepressible Michael Anthony...

I know some prefer the Roth stuff, but this is the best VH for me, a complete, highly original-sounding rock band...

One of the best Van Hagar tracks for sure, and they did do some corkers. I just love the trashy DLR period, warts an 'all.
    Agreed^ there are a handful of rocking Vanhagar era tunes for sure,pound cake being one of them.
    • May 10th 2019

I do appreciate the DLR stuff as well... but I get a buzz from hearing a real powerhouse rock singer. Hagar at his best was mean! And it gave Ed the chance to write songs with a different feel. Two different eras, both cool.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 10th 2019

Always think this is one of Sammy's best Vanhagar efforts:

To me the Roth era stuff has so much more attitude and rock 'n roll spirit, Hagar's stuff is a product of it's time on a lot of the 80's stuff. Eddie's guitars were FEROCIOUS on those Roth albums, they sound so tame on a lot of the Hagar stuff in comparison. Dave was the spark and Eddie was the gas and together they fucking scorched anything around them. (Besides AC/DC of course :)

I will say though,Best Of Both World's is one of my favorite Van Halen tunes... Michael Anthony and Sammy sound great together.
    Recent version of BOBW with Sammy and Mike's band - The Circle

I love the DLR era but the SH era does nothing for me. Maybe I need to give it a bit more of a try - what's their best album with SH?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonI love the DLR era but the SH era does nothing for me. Maybe I need to give it a bit more of a try - what's their best album with SH?

Hmmmmm, you might be better off with a mix from several. I can see you either giving up or skipping too much.
    Posted By: 900Wow, this is so cool...

"Ed and Samuel have grown their hair..." hmm ok, why is that important? (lol)
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: Meanstreak"Ed and Samuel have grown their hair..." hmm ok, why is that important? (lol)

Well they just look like real ol' hard rockers, with their energy and all that, in the clip. And come on, everyone must acknowledge what a guitar hero beast Angus looked at Rio!?

Whereas when Samuel joined VH, he had that shorter style, and Ed went for a mullet which seemed odd as he looked so cool c. 1984..
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI love the DLR era but the SH era does nothing for me. Maybe I need to give it a bit more of a try - what's their best album with SH?

Balance easiest to listen to - plus has a few killer tunes

5150's probably the most consistent. OU812 is good, but it sounds thin at times. This is my favorite off that album:

FUCK is good too, some of my favorite drumming from AVH.

No fan of Joy Division prefers Sam Halen over the real deal.
    • May 11th 2019

Posted By: Fast As a Shark

5150's probably the most consistent. OU812 is good, but it sounds thin at times.

What's the thing with these strange album titles?
    • May 11th 2019

I appreciate the original VH like people appreciate Powerage compared to say FTATR. It has the original soul of VH.

But the later stuff has an extra layer of musicality due to the vocals. Not necessarily better, but different.

@Fast As a Shark something like Mine All Mine - it's typical EVH - not just falling back on same things as previous, it's got something different about it.

And Alex Van Halen - totally cool drums!
    The Gary Cherone VH album has a good song on it called Once. It has an extended outro with some great call and response guitar and vocal work.

Around the 6:00 min mark
    Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: Fast As a Shark

5150's probably the most consistent. OU812 is good, but it sounds thin at times.

What's the thing with these strange album titles?

5150 is the name of Eddie's studio. The meaning of that is basically mental asylum.
    And OU812 is either a reference to DLR's "Eat em and Smile" or a license plate number.
    Posted By: Fast As a SharkAnd OU812 is either a reference to DLR's "Eat em and Smile" or a license plate number.

OU812 was indeed a
    response to "Eat'em and Smile" for sure, tongue and cheek response from the VH bros.