To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Apr 26th 2019 edited

Personally, I love bands from that era. If you've seen "The Dirt", you'll know what I mean. The bands never took themselves seriously, they got with tons of chicks and did massive amounts of alcohol and weed (among other harder substances). So what's no to like?

At just about every party I went to in the 80's, I would hear "Talk Dirty To Me" or "Pour Some Sugar On Me". Sorry, but you just can't have as much fun listening to Anal Cunt or Cattle Decapitation. That's my opinion, anyway.

Sure, the music was as fluffy as cotton candy, and disposable as a baby's soiled diaper. But it was FUN. So much so, that I decided to start seeing these acts in concert. Here's a list of bands that I saw in the 80's, and had so much fun doing so.

Bon Jovi
    Cinderella
    Damn Yankees
    Def Leppard
    Dokken
    Extreme
    Great White
    Guns 'N Roses (very much a hair band in the beginning)
    LA Guns
    Motley Crue
    Night Ranger
    Poison
    Quiet Riot
    Slaughter
    Skid Row
    White Lion
    Whitesnake
    Winger
    Vixen

Those were great, fun times that I wouldn't trade for anything.
    What? No Europe?
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Apr 26th 2019

An entertaining era, a few fun songs, and some great guitar playing.

Ratt were really cool. Dokken had George Lynch.

There were some lame songs though, I fucking hated that Extreme track More Than Words and weedy stuff of that ilk. Poison - BoL - in our band we'd break into Unskinny Bop between songs just to take the piss, and all the local glam rock types would enthusiastically edge forward to the front...good times.
    • Apr 26th 2019

Posted By: BallToucherWhat? No Europe?

That solo in The Final Countdown was epic!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Apr 26th 2019

Sorry, I hate hair metal and everything related.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rickshaw1
    • Apr 26th 2019 edited

Cinderella was great. Ratt has some great tunes. Helix, great Canadian group,loved Rock You!
    Always enjoyed some Queensryche.

I didn’t enjoy the ballad portion of that era though. Hated Extreme.

Think I’ll put some Shake Me by Cinderella on
    • Apr 26th 2019

Not forgetting 1986 Ozzy with Jake E Lee's remarkable mane of hair!

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 26th 2019

Anybody?

Enjoyable era in my teens, but it's all aged absolutely horribly.

The only bands i liked then that i can still hear and not cringe would be the Dogs D'Amour and Hanoi Rocks i reckon
    Posted By: Rickshaw1Cinderella was great. Ratt has some great tunes. Helix, great Canadian group,loved Rock You!
    Always enjoyed some Queensryche.

I didn’t enjoy the ballad portion of that era though. Hated Extreme.

Think I’ll put some Shake Me by Cinderella on

Love Queensryche, but I have a hard time seeing them as hair metal. Maybe their image was hair metal, but lyrically their songs are totally different than Bon Jovi or Def Leppard. Much more prog metal.
    My problem with hair metal is - why bother? Its just watered-down shit. Why not just listen to the great artists they ripped off/diluted/regurgitated - Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, the New York Dolls, the Stooges, Van Halen - even fucking Kiss for Christ's sake. Those bands had conviction - fire in their bellies - hair metal was lactose-free milky tea by comparison.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Apr 26th 2019

Not a fan of any of those bands in the OP list. Therefore I deduce hair metal sucked.
    ^ my mate is in the current line-up of Junkyard so in their case I'll make an exception!:)
    Hair Metal is one of the only genres where I might rock out a little bit, but also burst out fucking laughing at the same time, especially when watching stuff like this:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Apr 26th 2019

Or this:

• Apr 27th 2019 edited

Or this.... a diddy from Canadian rockers...

Kick Axe
    I wouldn’t even use hair metal albums as coasters. An absolute dumpster fire of a genre next to pop punk and metal core.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 27th 2019

Maybe it is different for those who grew up in the eighties. It was part of the charm of the total 'decade of decadence'. It's the Miami Vice of music. Wrong, but entertaining.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Apr 27th 2019

It almost destroyed rock music until grunge came in and made things right again. The eighties production habits had gone as far as rock music fans dissing Hendrix records for "having an old sound".
    • Apr 27th 2019

Lots of it was crap, but the bands with good guitarists did some interesting stuff.

The trashy ones without any real talent, they were just annoying. But then it was a bit unfair how other bands got tarred with the same brush.
    Posted By: MeanstreakIt almost destroyed rock music until grunge came in and made things right again. The eighties production habits had gone as far as rock music fans dissing Hendrix records for "having an old sound".

Pretty much this, especially the US bands of that era. It all sounded so nice ...
    •  
    • Apr 27th 2019 edited

I'll admit to having listened to a lot of not-so-great stuff in the 80's. Much of it certainly has not held up.

I have section of LPs that is 80's stuff. I just went and looked through them. Quite a few are "hair metal", but I still consider good, or at least fun albums to own.

Dirty Looks - ST
    Faster Pussycat - ST
    Jetboy - Feel The Shake
    Tesla - Mechanical Resonance
    Twisted Sister - Stay Hunger
    Cinderella - Night Songs & Long Cold Winter
    Ratt - Out of The Cellar
    Bulletboys - ST
    Dokken - Under Lock and Key
    Motely Crue - Shout at the Devil
    Skid Row - ST
    Whitesnake - Slide It In
    Britny Fox - ST

Is WASP hair metal? I've got their first two albums also.
    WASP is not hair metal I would say, great band. Also Twisted Sister came more from the Glam era, but nevwr stopped even when glam was out and musically more RnR than synth flirting hair metal.
    It became problematic when rock music and productions started to become like this:

• AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Apr 27th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakIt almost destroyed rock music until grunge came in and made things right again. The eighties production habits had gone as far as rock music fans dissing Hendrix records for "having an old sound".

Jack B. Nimble says no.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Apr 27th 2019

Transformed the rock demographic. For that alone it was worth it.
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon^ my mate is in the current line-up of Junkyard so in their case I'll make an exception!:)

Cool. Didn´t even know that they still were around to be honest.
    Whitesnake was not a hair band from the beginning. But they surely proved to be another trend chasing band. But you can´t really blame Coverdale. He dyed his hair and made more millions.

You've hit the nail on the head - and the fact they were aspiring to that clean, pop sound tells you so much - it tells you they were making rock n roll for people who don't like rock n roll.
    Posted By: Wholelottatobe
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon^ my mate is in the current line-up of Junkyard so in their case I'll make an exception!:)

Cool. Didn´t even know that they still were around to be honest.

Of course I would say this but their last album was a blast - will post a couple of tracks on the listening thread.
    • Apr 27th 2019 edited

Posted By: MeanstreakIt became problematic when rock music and productions started to become like this:

What can you possibly not like about that song? Giant had a few good tunes. Like, I’m a Believer, it’s a good tune.
    •  
    • Apr 28th 2019

Posted By: Rickshaw1Like, I’m a Believer, it’s a good tune

Damn straight!

• AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Apr 28th 2019

What are your thoughts on this from 1984? Pay attention to the bass playing.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Apr 28th 2019

Hair Metal = Nu Metal. Two very fragile genres of heavy music in that they both just evaporated the moment something more real came along, and neither genre ever really made a comeback or had much of a nostalgia movement. Not that many would admit to ever having liked that type of music, and fewer would admit to ever having *really* liked that style of music to the point where they aping the look and attitude.

But Girls, Girls, Girls and Break Stuff aren't bad songs, imo....
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: Rickshaw1Like, I’m a Believer, it’s a good tune

Damn straight!

Damn straight
    • Apr 28th 2019

Posted By: GoulashWhat are your thoughts on this from 1984? Pay attention to the bass playing.

Adam Bomb is still touring on regular basis.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Apr 28th 2019

Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: GoulashWhat are your thoughts on this from 1984? Pay attention to the bass playing.

Indeed he is but did you know that the bassist on this song is our very own Cliff Williams?
    Heard that Cliff played on one of his songs.
    • Apr 28th 2019

Posted By: Goulash
    Posted By: Rocco

Indeed he is but did you know that the bassist on this song is our very own Cliff Williams?

I know. I think Cliff also recorded a solo album around the same time. Would love to hear that one.
    Didn't care for much of that scene. But I will say Ratt had a lot of good tunes with great guitars and the singer was good back in the day.
    • Apr 28th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoRatt had a lot of good tunes with great guitars and the singer was good back in the day.

Agree. Terrible live singer but great on record. And what a cool band, all of them. Fantastic lead player, great rhythm player, who also played nice solos, and together they did such interesting and cool guitar parts. Drums and bass also solid and characterful. Ratt did a ton of really great songs, they stood out.
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoRatt had a lot of good tunes with great guitars and the singer was good back in the day.

Agree. Terrible live singer but great on record. And what a cool band, all of them. Fantastic lead player, great rhythm player, who also played nice solos, and together they did such interesting and cool guitar parts. Drums and bass also solid and characterful. Ratt did a ton of really great songs, they stood out.

What's the pick of their albums? Or stick to Greatest Hits?
    • Apr 28th 2019

Does Twisted Sister qualify as hair metal? I always liked We're Not Gonna Take It and I Wanna Rock.