To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Until about a few days ago the only song I knew by this band was Winds of Change, just didn't think they'd be my bag.

I've given Blackout and Lovedrive a listen and thought they were quite good albums - any suggestions what I should try next?
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Mar 13th 2019

Love at first sting is great as is Animal Magnetism.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: malgus73
    • Mar 13th 2019

The Sails Of Charon is a great early track. It shows just how great Uli Jon Roth is on the guitar. It's really different from their more popular songs though, but you might like it. Other favorites of mine are In Trance, We'll Burn The Sky and Loving You Sunday Morning.
    I was surprised how poppy Lovedrive was - not a criticism just a surprise - is their earlier stuff heavier/rawer?
    The Savage Amusement album is also very good...very radio friendly but I like it!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: malgus73
    • Mar 13th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonI was surprised how poppy Lovedrive was - not a criticism just a surprise - is their earlier stuff heavier/rawer?

Yes, definitely
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Mar 13th 2019

The pre-Lovedrive stuff is very different - Uli Roth was really influenced by Hendrix and you can hear that in the songwriting, but there was also his classical influence there as well. The older stuff was pretty interesting, it was before they became more of a commercial hard rock band, and yet they were massive in some areas, Japan for example. Tokyo Tapes is a brilliant live album.

Lovedrive has a mixture of Michael Schenker and Jabs on lead, then Jabs took over from Blackout onwards... They were pretty solid and consistent, with their own string of great albums up to and including Savage Amusement, but I lost interest after that. They lost their edge, starting writing rubbish like "Good Girls Give Me Kicks After Six" (!) - but they've written plenty more great songs since, Raised On Rock for example..
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Mar 13th 2019 edited

Posted By: Big RabLove at first sting is great as is Animal Magnetism.

For me the trio of Animal Magnetism, Blackout, and Love at First Sting is the Scorpion's version of Powerage, Highway to Hell and Back in Black. Maybe I could tack on Lovedrive as being their Let There Be Rock. Anyway, a string of their best albums.
    Thanks everyone - will check out Tokyo Tapes, Animal Magnetism and Love at First Sting tomorrow.
    Taken By Force is my fav Scorpions album.
    Listen to We'll Burn The Sky from Tokyo Tapes. Fucking brilliant
    Better than KISS
    I see Alex is the one looking for recommendations now, eh :)

Don't know much by them, but have always liked "No One Like You" (song). Guitar work is great, but the singer takes some getting used to. They're a certain type of rock that I can't quite put my finger on - it's like they have a metal guitar tone, but don't write metal music. Of course they came before maiden, so you could probably see some inspiration there, but their guitar tones are very similar to me. I'll have to give one of their albums a go..
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Mar 13th 2019

Incredible band
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI see Alex is the one looking for recommendations now, eh :)

You're never to old to ask for recommendations Penguin :) I listen to music all day every day, 365 days a year & I'd go mad without listening to new stuff.
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI see Alex is the one looking for recommendations now, eh :)

You're never to old to ask for recommendations Penguin :) I listen to music all day every day, 365 days a year & I'd go mad without listening to new stuff.
    Definitely. Expanding is key to not getting oversaturated, and where better a place to start than the best rock forum on the internet?

Liking breakout so far. The general sound of the band put a very distinct atmosphere in my head, and I didn't really like it, but that damn cover art is helping fix that. I'm sticking by my belief that cover art is one of the most important things for an album and the vibe it gives off.
    . I'm sticking by my belief that cover art is one of the most important things for an album and the vibe it gives off.

True. When I was 16 I knew this record would change my life before I'd heard a note.

•  
    • Mar 13th 2019

Please, don't anybody bring up Virgin Killer.
    Posted By: InfernoPlease, don't anybody bring up Virgin Killer.

That's not very 'woke' is it? :)
    Posted By: InfernoPlease, don't anybody bring up Virgin Killer.
    What band member was obsessed with having tits on the covers? I mean it's a good way to get people to buy the albums, but not if the cover is technically illegal to distribute or even own. Electric Ladyland is the way to go.
    Lovedrive through Savage Amusement works for me. Rhythm of Love on Savage Amusement kicks ass!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Mar 14th 2019 edited

Big Scorpions fan back in the day, still one of my favourite gigs to go to.
    Lovedrive is tops for me, along with Animal Magnetism, although I do love the Uli stuff.
    You ever given UFO a go Alex? Always thought of the two bands together, with UFO an English, more rock n roll version of the Scorps.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 14th 2019 edited

I'm just a casual when it comes to the Scorpions. So just the hits for me; Rock You Like A hurricane, Still Loving You, Big City Nights etc
    And i have always been a great fan of this early Scorpions, Uli Roth, song:

PS: i'm more a UFO fan than Scorpions because i like Phil Mogg's voice better than Klaus'
    • Mar 14th 2019

Blackout has a tight, punchy production, no fucking about. And Jabs plays a real nice blend. never getting too over-indulgent.

Love At First Sting has a weaker production, they tried for a more modern sound and it's a bit weird, though doesn't sound bad.

Myself and friends used to enjoy watching World Wide Live, that had plenty of classics on it - they looked a bit ridiculous but that was all part of the fun.
    Posted By: azelBig Scorpions fan back in the day, still one of my favourite gigs to go to.
    Lovedrive is tops for me, along with Animal Magnetism, although I do love the Uli stuff.
    You ever given UFO a go Alex? Always thought of the two bands together, with UFO an English, more rock n roll version of the Scorps.

Not familiar with UFO beyond connection to AC/DC - where should I start?
    Mikkey Dee as the drummer is a bit odd, great drummer of course but after 20+ mötörhead years it was a bit strange. But happy for him that he got another good gig. But their cover of Overkill is horrid.

The Scorps themselves have some good songs. Casual listener as well. Wont change the channel if they come on but would never buy their album

The most iconic thing is the Klaus hat and the hair
    •  
    • Mar 16th 2019 edited

Posted By: azelBig Scorpions fan back in the day, still one of my favourite gigs to go to.

Not azel, but UFO's live album "Strangers In The Night" is often considered their best, and with with that one you'll get a good mix of their songs and will know if you want to go further. Personally, I've tried to like UFO, but outside of a handful of songs, I can't really get into them. Their albums don't offer enough spark.

•  
    • Mar 16th 2019

Dive straight into Strangers in the night, then give the next three studio albums with Paul Chapman a go.
    Good British Rock N Roll band.
    • Mar 16th 2019

Posted By: InfernoPersonally, I've tried to like UFO, but outside of a handful of songs, I can't really get into them. Their albums don't offer enough spark

It's annoying when you expect an album of great songs, based on a couple of killers you've heard, and it's not great. I remember really liking a few Cream songs, so enthusiastically grabbed an album, and it was mostly a bit lame.

The best rock albums have a stylistic thread which is there across the whole record, with little deviation in quality, for example, BIB, or others from the Six-Pack. Something like Blackout was the Scorps' BIB.

That said, I've been on a leo and feel pretty mashed, so not sure if I'm making much sense (or "mush" sense, as I aptly typed initially).

Fabulous fish n chips in a London boozer tonight.
    POLAR NIGHTS!! WHAT A FUCKING TUNE!!

To 900 and others who recommended Tokyo Tapes - cheers - it's fantastic.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonPOLAR NIGHTS!! WHAT A FUCKING TUNE!!

Love We'll Burn The Sky off Tokyo tapes Alex Lebanon

UFO track Rock Bottom is fucking awesome
    Posted By: ianbigmac

I was literally about to edit my post to say how fucking great that track is!

If feels like early Maiden took a lot from their epic song construction - fair?
    Posted By: azel

Dive straight into Strangers in the night, then give the next three studio albums with Paul Chapman a go.
    Good British Rock N Roll band.

Thanks for the tip, that's on after Tokyo Tapes!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 19th 2019

Rock Bottom on Strangers In The Night has arguably one of the best intro's and solo's in Hardrock ever made.
    He's a Woman/She's a Man - 3 decades early to the transgender party - respect! ;)
    Anything up to Worldwide Live is passable for me
    Posted By: Thankass

Rock Bottom on Strangers In The Night has arguably one of the best intro's and solo's in Hardrock ever made.

Yep!!
    • Mar 19th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonTo 900 and others who recommended Tokyo Tapes - cheers - it's fantastic.

Welcome, great to hear you like it! A true live album, and a very pure rock live album....well before they went more mainstream...everything was very focused on the music.

Posted By: Alex LebanonHe's a Woman/She's a Man - 3 decades early to the transgender party - respect! ;)

Quite amazing for 1978!

Yes! Fly to the Rainbow is a perfect example of what you hear in Maiden. Fucking love the Tokyo Tapes version of that song.
    •  
    • Mar 19th 2019

Ahhhh Tokyo Tapes!
    Classic live album in the realms of Made in Japan, Live and Dangerous, and the epic Strangers in the night.
    So much atmos!
    • Mar 19th 2019

Posted By: azelSo much atmos!

Tapes has that rare feel of really putting you there at the concert...right from the start, it has a magic to it. Perhaps the era, everything a bit more innocent, a powerhouse band and a naive (in a sense) crowd just soaking it all up..

Uli Roth's intro solo (0:40) when he bursts in on He's A Woman, She's A Man....it's so powerful and majestic....then the wild vocals from Klaus....it's great! The rhythm section too..

•  
    • Mar 20th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: azelSo much atmos!

Tapes has that rare feel of really putting you there at the concert...right from the start, it has a magic to it. Perhaps the era, everything a bit more innocent, a powerhouse band and a naive (in a sense) crowd just soaking it all up..

Uli Roth's intro solo (0:40) when he bursts in on He's A Woman, She's A Man....it's so powerful and majestic....then the wild vocals from Klaus....it's great! The rhythm section too..

Rudi is one of the best rhythm guitarists out there, and one of the coolest performers I’ve ever seen.
    •  
    • Mar 20th 2019

Yep. especially if you listen to Fly to the Rainbow, even the guitar tone is spot on.
    But I've always heard more of Thin Lizzy in the Maiden stuff, especially the first couple of albums they did. First time I heard "Transylvania" i could have sworn I'd heard it before. Basically Black Rose and Emerald mashed together.
    I think Steve Harris learnt his craft of telling tales of history through listening to Lizzy.