To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Mar 4th 2019

49 FFS. Tragic
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Mar 4th 2019

Smack My Bitch Up is still one of the best videos ever made. Never been a fan of this kind of music, but I quite liked a bit of Prodigy. Very sad news. I always thought Keith Flint was a brilliant frontman. RIP.
    Very sad. I worked as a runner (general dogs-body) on two Prodigy videos back in the 90s. The band were all great, but Keith was the friendliest, remembered your name and chatted when you took him a cuppa. When most other big 90's bands looked backwards - Oasis to the Beatles, Blur to the Kinks - the Prodigy always looked defiantly forward and Keith was the soul of the band even if Liam was the creative mastermind. RIP indeed.
    This is very sad news... ;-(
    I was a big fan of Keith Flint and the Prodigy. I remember in 1996 going to a music festival on the Gold Coast, Australia called the 'Big Day Out' music festival and they had an awesome lineup of bands and DJ's across multiple stages that started in the morning and went until midnight. Prodigy were one of the main acts and me being a young silly bugger at the time decided to crowd surf and fell and broke my shoulder but I was so off chops that I didn't realise it was broken until the next day... ouch! I remember it was an amazing live show with a tonne of energy, I loved it so much I went and saw them another two times when they toured Australia again. Sad and tragic loss... RIP Keith Flint ;-(
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Mar 4th 2019

bloody suicide....why ???????...goes to show behind their bank accounts .big houses amazing musical career,model wife...all is not well !!
    • AC/DC rock music: Gavin82
    • Mar 4th 2019

Seen them few times over the years & Glastonbury 97/98 such sad news RIP
    Depression is an absolute cunt
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Mar 4th 2019

Damn, so sad...
    R.I.P Keith. Amazing crazy frontman!
    Smack my bitch up and Firestarter were bloody amazing.

Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Just watched the video for smack my bitch up. Wow it really was like that every weekend during those years with the exception that i didn´t bring the stripping woman back home. No i can´t recall that this ever happened.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Mar 4th 2019 edited

Can't think of any other band that the dance kids, punks and metalheads were all into. A real shame.

Cracking live act as well.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Mar 4th 2019

If he'd ever toured with Mick and the boys, they could've called it the Flint-Stones tour.

Sad, tragic news.

RIP Luke Perry.
    Posted By: RonCan't think of any other band that the dance kids, punks and metalheads were all into.

Well said, Ron.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Mar 4th 2019

sad news indeed....didn't realise he was so young!
    Glad to see some love hear for a band that is a 180 from AC/DC.

Sad to see anyone take their life. He made some great music and sounds (by accounts) like a decent person.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Mar 5th 2019

Very sad.
    RIP
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 5th 2019

Posted By: WholelottatobeR.I.P Keith. Amazing crazy frontman!
    Smack my bitch up and Firestarter were bloody amazing.
    I concur. RIP.
    I've no sympathy for those who commit suicide, sorry. Be it Cobain, Cornell, or this guy. Easy way out.

And don´t give me no shit about how bad depression is, I know it, I know it all.

But anyway, RIP, I liked one or two of their songs and the guy was a showman, granted.

Now Luke Perry, that pisses me off, the guy wanted to live.
    Posted By: BallToucherI've no sympathy for those who commit suicide, sorry. Be it Cobain, Cornell, or this guy. Easy way out.

And don´t give me no shit about how bad depression is, I know it, I know it all.

But anyway, RIP, I liked one or two of their songs and the guy was a showman, granted.

Now Luke Perry, that pisses me off, the guy wanted to live.

That's unfortunate. Maybe you've known depression (many of us have, including myself and members of my family) but I don't think you've known the depression that leads to ending it all. And if you did but are stronger and rose about that horrible impulse, then I wouldn't condemn people who are weaker than you. People are who they are and not all of us are as strong as others, or as we'd like to be.

My opinion. Judge as you wish.
    I know depression, very well.

But killing yourself is also an act of extreme selfishness. I'm gonna kill myself, fuck those around me who love me, and let them deal with this shit when I'm gone. I don´t care, I hate my life!

I've known suicide too. Two close friends decided their life was too unbereable. I've also know people who fought for his life until cancer consumed them. Smiling and willing to live 'til their last day. I also know one person who was on the verge of suicide (wife and sons dead), and being wealthy enough (not rich, mind you), decided to help others instead of giving all up. He's alright now. Lucky to be alive. And thankful.

But anyway, thanks to let me "judge as I wish"! Cheers.
    •  
    • Mar 6th 2019

Posted By: BallToucher

But killing yourself is also an act of extreme selfishness. I'm gonna kill myself, fuck those around me who love me, and let them deal with this shit when I'm gone. I don´t care, I hate my life!

Tbh, a person who has severe depressions and who is in a situation of wanting to commit suicide (something which is totally in contracdiction with the, primary, natural will to live and which doesn't come overnight) has a totally different reference frame. They don't think and act like people who are not in that situation. Things like loved ones, children etc don't have any value anymore in that frame. The focus is purely on not wanting to live anymore. You cannot judge them by the "normal" accepted reference frame.
    Posted By: ThankassThings like loved ones, children etc don't have any value anymore in that frame.

So, that's called selfishness.

Look, it might not be the best politically correct thinking there is, I get it, I'm all for the bashing if it comes. That's just the way I see it, and as I've pointed before, I'm not coming from total unknowledge of the matter.

One of those friends of mine who killed himself? His old mom is still crying everyday because of the fact. She's 92 now. She still blames herself. We give her a visit once in a while. Lovely lady.

The other one killed himself because of a money problem he had. A couple of years later it turned out the thing fucking solved itself. He left behind a wife and two children, aged between 10 and 14.

They can´t barely make a living today. All of us help them with 50 or 60 bucks a month each. If I can fork a hundred, I fork a hundred. My point is, you kill yourself, fine, but there's a lot of shit you leave behind.

Edit: sorry, she's in her 80s, not 90s!
    •  
    • Mar 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: ThankassThings like loved ones, children etc don't have any value anymore in that frame.

It's called selfishness based on our own perspective/reference frame. And not every situation or trigger is of course the same; Some can be seen by us as more selfish than others. For severe depression, which is in core a huge chemical mindfuck, people should not be judged by our standards imo. Let's agree on that it's a nasty thing for everybody involved in such a situation.
    Posted By: ThankassIt's called selfishness based on our own perspective/reference frame

I understand where you're coming from, but selfishness IS selfishness, in spite of one's perspective.

Definition of selfishness
    : the quality or state of being selfish : a concern for one's own welfare or advantage at the expense of or in disregard of others : excessive interest in oneself
    •  
    • Mar 6th 2019

Posted By: ThankassIt's called selfishness based on our own perspective/reference frame

I understand where you're coming from, but selfishness IS selfishness, in spite of one's perspective.

Definition of selfishness
    : the quality or state of being selfish : a concern for one's own welfare or advantage at the expense of or in disregard of others : excessive interest in oneself
    Some food for thought: https://www.psycholo...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Mar 6th 2019

You’re so far off the mark here BT it’s unreal.

People tend to be more dismissive of mental illnesses over physical illnesses because they can’t see them.

So what you’re saying is that someone who kills themself is selfish? Bit like telling someone who has broken both their legs to walk it off.
    Posted By: benjiSo what you’re saying is that someone who kills themself is selfish?

That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Posted By: benjiSo what you’re saying is that someone who kills themself is selfish?

That's exactly what I'm saying.
    It is selfish, but you can't necessarily blame someone in that situation. If someone goes to such an extreme measure, their pain has taken over their mind and their reasoning.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguintheir pain has taken over their mind and their reasoning.

True. Fair enough. That's exactly what happens. It's still selfishness. "Fuck everyone else who loves me, I can´t stand this anymore!" That's selfishness. I'm not gonna reply anymore to this chat, everyone is free to think whatever.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Mar 6th 2019

Someone living a torturous existence should prolong it just for the conveniance of some "loved ones"? Don't these loved ones have any lives of their own?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Mar 6th 2019 edited

Everyone has a right to suicide. No one asked to be born.

The only time suicide is shitty in my opinion is if you small children who are left wondering why they weren’t enough to keep their parent around. Outside of that, it’s no one else’s business.

And putting temporary pain of grief over what for a lot of people is an eternity of misery is astronomically misguided.

I used to think people who committed suicide were assholes too until my ex killed herself a couple months ago. Go figure.
    Posted By: BallToucherBut anyway, thanks to let me "judge as I wish"! Cheers.

True. Fair enough. That's exactly what happens. It's still selfishness. "Fuck everyone else who loves me, I can´t stand this anymore!" That's selfishness. I'm not gonna reply anymore to this chat, everyone is free to think whatever.

But anyway, thanks to let us be "free to think whatever"! Cheers.
    Posted By: SpellboundEveryone has a right to suicide. No one asked to be born.

The only time suicide is shitty in my opinion is if you small children who are left wondering why they weren’t enough to keep their parent around. Outside of that, it’s no one else’s business.

And putting temporary pain of grief over what for a lot of people is an eternity of misery is astronomically misguided.

I used to think people who committed suicide were assholes too until my ex killed herself a couple months ago. Go figure.

I strongly disagree. There is no "temporary grief" when losing an adult love or family member to suicide. You move on, but the pain continues. Yes, like virtually all pain, it might diminish over time, but it never goes away.

My opinion. I say we throw on Fly On The Wall (the title track not the full album, you critical fuckers) and rock the fuck out to some drinks and be grateful of our blessings and the good people we have in our lives.
    A reflection on suicide:
    My wife and my 18 year old son had their all time biggest and loudest argument over JP - uncharacteristically I sat that one out :)
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguintheir pain has taken over their mind and their reasoning.

An incredibly insensitive comment to make and one that is incredibly ill informed and down right wrong. I've lost people who are very close to me to suicide including one of my best mates, my niece and my sister-in-law. Yes you have a right to your opinion but maybe a little more sensitivity and care about what you say rather than such a careless and insensitive comment would have been much better, and most importantly some more research on the topic as well. Firstly, my older sister is a psychiatrist and studies on this topic have shown that it is far more in-depth and broad than just assuming that it was just a selfish act. Basically in many instances they are not necessary thinking of themselves at all but more that they feel worthless or worry about what people may think of them or feel there is no way out of their situation so it's almost the opposite of selfishness in some cases. The pain of deep depression, sadness and the numbness they feel before doing such a horrendous act as killing themselves clouds all their reasonable thinking so they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and they feel they are a burden on everyone and everything and that's not selfish it's sickness... It's called MENTAL ILLNESS.
    Finally, you never "get over it" or "deal with it" when a close loved one commits suicide. You just find ways to live and cope with it as best you can, that's all I have to say now. Ciao
    When it comes to the mental state , there are two types of people , glass half full and glass half empty.It's all perspective .Me, I'm a half full kinda guy .Im with BT on this one . Some people need to dial back their sensitivity from 11 and ask themselves "is it that bad"?. I find man in the mirror solves my problems, don't rely on others to solve your problems.
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCI've lost people who are very close to me to suicide including one of my best mates, my niece and my sister-in-law. Yes you have a right to your opinion but maybe a little more sensitivity and care about what you say rather than such a careless and insensitive comment would have been much better, and most importantly some more research on the topic as well.

I suggest you take a chill pill and read again what I wrote. Bye.
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCI've lost people who are very close to me to suicide including one of my best mates, my niece and my sister-in-law. Yes you have a right to your opinion but maybe a little more sensitivity and care about what you say rather than such a careless and insensitive comment would have been much better, and most importantly some more research on the topic as well.

I thought Brad's post was very thoughtful and touched upon not only his personal experiences but an expert's opinion.

I'm gonna quote below your post in question in full below. Please indicate what parts of it Brad, I, and other's don't get. It seems like your main point is people who commit suicide are really selfish and hurt the people they leave behind, thus, they should not be so selfish and kill themselves.

Are we missing something? Are you trying to make a greater point I — and likely others — are missing?

Here's your post:

Look, it might not be the best politically correct thinking there is, I get it, I'm all for the bashing if it comes. That's just the way I see it, and as I've pointed before, I'm not coming from total unknowledge of the matter.

One of those friends of mine who killed himself? His old mom is still crying everyday because of the fact. She's 92 now. She still blames herself. We give her a visit once in a while. Lovely lady.

The other one killed himself because of a money problem he had. A couple of years later it turned out the thing fucking solved itself. He left behind a wife and two children, aged between 10 and 14.

They can´t barely make a living today. All of us help them with 50 or 60 bucks a month each. If I can fork a hundred, I fork a hundred. My point is, you kill yourself, fine, but there's a lot of shit you leave behind.

Edit: sorry, she's in her 80s, not 90s!
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Mar 13th 2019 edited

Absolutely loving James Blunts story about Keith. It comes as no surprise that Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller and Damon Albarn are nowt but a bunch of high school teenage prom queens.

https://www.bigissue...

I was being respectful and thoughtful with my post so I suggest you stop being so rude and arrogant about it and read my post again. It's based on real life experience and advice that I've received on that topic by medical professionals where as your post is based on your opinion and that's all. Bye!