To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 28th 2019

Posted By: tomscotlandSteely Dan. The musicianship, the high fidelity production, fuck, I even like JAZZ but I just can’t engage with this band. I own a nice pressing of Aja, and it sounds fucking stellar, but it just doesn’t move me. It’s too bland for me.

Good point. Same with me. I like several songs, but just can't get into them.

Kinks. That's another one for me.
    Rush for me. Im into the 3/4 albums from the 70s but just cant get into the later stuff!
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Mar 1st 2019

Not a band, but an individual performer...
    Blasphemous I know, but...
    Elvis Presley.
    I won't dispute the greatness, but I just never jumped onboard.
    Posted By: CannonNot a band, but an individual performer...
    Blasphemous I know, but...
    Elvis Presley.
    I won't dispute the greatness, but I just never jumped onboard.

I don't think too many people who didn't grow up with him did. Different era and that's not the rock most of us know.
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Mar 2nd 2019

Grateful Dead, Phish and most "jam" bands suck.

As for Bono, he's probably the most pretentious prick of a rock star, ever. Goes on about world hunger this, poverty that, corporations are too greedy, blah, blah, blah. That fucking asshole is a one-man corporation.

While I'm at it, Coldplay sucks, too.
    Posted By: CANADAGrateful Dead, Phish and most "jam" bands suck.

As for Bono, he's probably the most pretentious prick of a rock star, ever. Goes on about world hunger this, poverty that, corporations are too greedy, blah, blah, blah. That fucking asshole is a one-man corporation.

Bono is annoying but lots of lead singers are - prone to Lead Singer Syndrome as Keith Richards called it -!it doesn’t detract from the fact U2 have written some great albums, notably the Joshua Tree.

As for Coldplay their first two albums were terrific but they then dissolved into a puddle or irredeemable niceness.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Mar 3rd 2019

Posted By: CANADAGrateful Dead, Phish and most "jam" bands suck.

Well as he has helped to raise tens of millions of pounds for causes exactly like that he’s entitled to ‘go on’ about them.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Mar 4th 2019

Def Leppard
    Bruce Springsteen
    Bon Jovi

I have owned (and traded) records by these guys and fuck I have tried, I just don't dig it.
    although I do like the keyboards in hysteria and the intros to bad medicine and lay your hands on me are pretty cool (I turn it off after that part)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Mar 4th 2019

oh, and System Of A Down....
    Posted By: drillbagoh, and System Of A Down....

Totally annoying vocals. The singer actually seems like a decent guy but I hate his voice.
    •  
    • Mar 13th 2019

System of A Down is a popular band in their genre, but are they really considered great? Same for Limp Bizkit.

P.S. I'm with Canada, aside from The Allman Brothers and maybe Dave Matthews, I can't get into the jam bands. Grateful Dead should be on my list.
    •  
    • Mar 13th 2019

Posted By: drillbagDef Leppard
    Bruce Springsteen
    Bon Jovi

I have owned (and traded) records by these guys and fuck I have tried, I just don't dig it.
    although I do like the keyboards in hysteria and the intros to bad medicine and lay your hands on me are pretty cool (I turn it off after that part)

I'm surprised that an AC/DC fan wouldn't like early Def Leppard. High N Dry is pretty much a really, really good AC/DC record. I vividly remember a friend turning me onto that record. I loved it. But when I started reading the buzz about about how good they were, and how they were gunning for the AC/DC crown, I was thinking "uh-oh.".
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Mar 14th 2019

Linkin Park
    Slipknot
    Marilyn Manson
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Imagine Dragons

Don't really care for the lot.
    I'll second (or however many) Rush. Fantastic musicianship in that band and I highly respect them, but not a massive fan of Lee's vocals. Ironic, because that's probably what some people say about AC/DC...
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Mar 14th 2019

to defend SOAD, they have been around a long time and done a very small number of, for me, very great albums. They haven't churned out a load of mediocre albums later in their career like they could have done.

but then, I'm really into them :)
    Posted By: NoisePollutionI'll second (or however many) Rush. Fantastic musicianship in that band and I highly respect them, but not a massive fan of Lee's vocals. Ironic, because that's probably what some people say about AC/DC...

That's what people usually tell me when I say I'm a Rush fan. I've never heard anyone say they're terrible musicians, and I don't know how anyone could say that honestly. I've always wondered what it was like when AC/DC and Rush did shows together. Talk about totally different ends of the spectrum!
    Posted By: CANADALinkin Park
    Slipknot
    Marilyn Manson
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Imagine Dragons

Don't really care for the lot.

Radiohead are in a different league to the other bands on that list - if you've never heard it, give the Bends a listen - it's just a fucking great rock album before the electronica element became dominant.

I like the Bends but it's not a patch on Ok Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac or Hail To The Thief to my ears.

Pretty standard indie rock fare you could say ?
    Standard indie rock fare you say?

Posted By: Fast As a Shark
    Posted By: NoisePollutionI'll second (or however many) Rush. Fantastic musicianship in that band and I highly respect them, but not a massive fan of Lee's vocals. Ironic, because that's probably what some people say about AC/DC...

That's what people usually tell me when I say I'm a Rush fan. I've never heard anyone say they're terrible musicians, and I don't know how anyone could say that honestly. I've always wondered what it was like when AC/DC and Rush did shows together. Talk about totally different ends of the spectrum!
    God I would love that
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonStandard indie rock fare you could say?

Miles from ‘standard indie’ for me. All went to shit after OKC when they bottled it.
    Posted By: Jem
    Posted By: Alex LebanonStandard indie rock fare you say?

Miles from ‘standard indie’ for me. All went to shit after OKC when they bottled it.

Agree the Bends is miles from 'standard indie' - hence my posting Street Spirit - cannot agree they bottled it after OKC. For a massive rock band to embrace Apex Twin-esque electronica was bold and unprecednted & the dyspeptically anthem-free Kid A must rank as one of the most left-field and challenging albums to hit Number #1 on both sides of the Atlantic.
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2019 edited

Radiohead. Music to have dental surgery to. Better than anesthesia. "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz."
    Posted By: InfernoRadiohead. Music to have dental surgery to. Better than anesthesia. "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Is this a Tears For Fears thing? :)
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: InfernoRadiohead. Music to have dental surgery to. Better than anesthesia. "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Tears For Fears is great!

As “Creep’” was beginning to break big, Radiohead was on the road opening for Tears for Fears. Radiohead's guitarist said the headliners treated them “like pigs.” In 1994, Roland Orzaba of Tears for Fears began covering “Creep” during live shows — something Thom Yorke openly did not like. In response, Orzaba said, “I did it as a joke… I changed some of the lyrics. I do appreciate what they have gone on to do… even though I don’t like them.”
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Tears For Fears is great!

As “Creep’” was beginning to break big, Radiohead was on the road opening for Tears for Fears. Radiohead's guitarist said the headliners treated them “like pigs.” In 1994, Roland Orzaba of Tears for Fears began covering “Creep” during live shows — something Thom Yorke openly did not like. In response, Orzaba said, “I did it as a joke… I changed some of the lyrics. I do appreciate what they have gone on to do… even though I don’t like them.”

That’s what I was referring to!
    And Roland said he couldn’t believe the number of music journalists tasked with writing retrospectives about Radiohead who wanted to interview TFF about their former support band - to the point where he told them to fuck off!
    That said, Radiohead have had the perfect career - massive sales, massive acclaim - the two rarely go hand in hand.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Mar 15th 2019

Posted By: BillyBollocksI like the Bends but it's not a patch on Ok Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac or Hail To The Thief to my ears.

Pretty standard indie rock fare you could say ?

Absolutely not. As Alex says, The Bends is a masterpiece. I do think that Radiohead are an acquired taste though (Like some of the best things...….Olives, Vindaloo, Guinness!), and once you get it, then every single listen reveals something else.

As far as their post OKC albums, In Rainbows is right up there for me. "There There" would be in my top 5 Radiohead tracks.
    the problem I have nowadays is that I just don't have the time to invest in listening properly to a lot of the acts mentioned above. I'm pretty certain theres some decent stuff out there but quite frankly I've got a life to lead. When I was 16 and all I had going on was wanking and feeling sorry for myself I could afford to invest the necessary time needed to appreciate and get into less immediate music

Radiohead before OK Computer are pretty standard indie for me, bit bland. With the odd exception.

Trying to work out what you mean 'bottled it' after Ok Computer though Jem? to my mind they did the exact opposite of bottling it and did something way different rather than just repeat Ok Computer's formula and cash in on it

They've done some pretty boring stuff since (In Rainbows for example) but one thing i can always applaud them for is being willing to keep trying new things
    Beatles
    ELO
    Rush
    •  
    • Mar 18th 2019

Posted By: BillyBollocks

Radiohead before OK Computer are pretty standard indie for me, bit bland. With the odd exception.

Trying to work out what you mean 'bottled it' after Ok Computer though Jem? to my mind they did the exact opposite of bottling it and did something way different rather than just repeat Ok Computer's formula and cash in on it

They've done some pretty boring stuff since (In Rainbows for example) but one thing i can always applaud them for is being willing to keep trying new things

That was my immediate reaction to hearing Kid A. What the fuck is this shit? Why have you fucked up all of the songs you fucking idiots? You have just made two fantastic records, are being celebrated as being the next 'world's biggest band' and you throw it away with bleeps and edits. Knobs. I felt they had 'bottled' it by making a follow up to OKC by making something willfully weird that would not have mass appeal. Of course they can do what they like and my reaction was based on my feelings of not getting what 'I' wanted from Kid A. I bought the next album which was even less enjoyable. I met them at Dublin airport (not Thom) and they were lovely guys, had a chat signed the girlfriend's poster etc. I asked Jonny what his favourite track on Kid A was and he said The National Anthem at that moment I knew we were through *sniff*

Mind you their Glastonbury 1997 gig will always be one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Mar 18th 2019

Radiohead.

I like their hit songs like Street Spirit, Creep and Paranoid Android, but everything else just seems quite dull.
    •  
    • Mar 18th 2019 edited

Posted By: BrianyRadiohead.

I like their hit songs like Street Spirit, Creep and Paranoid Android, but everything else just seems quite dull.

I was going to ask if they are more popular in the UK than the US, but I see that the album sales bear that out. Europeans are the big Radiohead fans.

https://en.wikipedia...
    Rembember the mid 90's when Metallica became Emo? Yeah, I could never get into that version of the band.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Mar 18th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permRembember the mid 90's when Metallica became Emo? Yeah, I could never get into that version of the band.

I assume you're referring to the eyeliner that Lars and Kirk wore for about 6 months in 1996, and the promo video for Until it Sleeps. This was basically James letting Lars and Kirk get a little bit of 'artistic expression' out of their system. By '97, they were growing their hair back out. Kirk did take a little while longer to get the message about the leather pants and the fact that he was not Dave Navarro.

As for the music of the period, I never really heard much in the albums that squared with the criticism. Ain't my Bitch was not Grunge, or even Alt-rock. It certainly wasn't self-pitying adolescent Emo. It was straight-ahead very hard Rock, to my ears. Until It Sleeps comes the closest to what critics were saying about Load, but I think it's unfair to define an album or period of a band by one song.
    •  
    • Mar 18th 2019

The Bends and OK Computer really are two terrific records.
    Kid A is awesome!
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permRembember the mid 90's when Metallica became Emo? Yeah, I could never get into that version of the band.

I’ve tried all eras of Metallica and just find them quite dull and tame. Ride the Lightning is ok but it pales and quivers next to the savagery of Reign In Blood or indeed the melodies and cinematically historical vision of POM-era Maiden. I respect their longevity, technical artistry and (the odd Lou Reed collaboration aside) history of sticking to their guns of course but they leave me cold.
    Posted By: Inferno

I was going to ask if they are more popular in the UK than the US, but I see that the album sales bear that out. Europeans are the big Radiohead fans.

https://en.wikipedia...

That being said, there was almost total consensus among music critics on both sides of the Atlantic (bar the odd ‘Isn’t Anything’ obsessive) that OK Computer was the best album of the 90s and (albeit not quite to the same degree) that Kid A was the best album of the 2000s - that’s remarkable given how little US and UK music critics agree on.
    You care about the opinions of music critics?
    Posted By: MeanstreakYou care about the opinions of music critics?

My point is more about Radiohead’s profile in the US - Inferno is absolutely right they are bigger in Europe but my sense is they are still comfortably an arena and festival-headlining band Stateside and they receive the same level of universal acclaim they enjoy over here.

I've never given Radiohead a try yet - but I ought to.

1) Various artists such as Kendrick Lamar that I know are innovative but just don't like that kind of music
    2) Pink Floyd. I can listen to them, yeah, but they never spring up in my mind.
    3) Chuck Berry - I don't know why I love Little Richard ect, just never clicked.
    Posted By: Briany

I assume you're referring to the eyeliner that Lars and Kirk wore for about 6 months in 1996, and the promo video for Until it Sleeps. This was basically James letting Lars and Kirk get a little bit of 'artistic expression' out of their system. By '97, they were growing their hair back out. Kirk did take a little while longer to get the message about the leather pants and the fact that he was not Dave Navarro.

As for the music of the period, I never really heard much in the albums that squared with the criticism. Ain't my Bitch was not Grunge, or even Alt-rock. It certainly wasn't self-pitying adolescent Emo. It was straight-ahead very hard Rock, to my ears. Until It Sleeps comes the closest to what critics were saying about Load, but I think it's unfair to define an album or period of a band by one song.

I love the fact it's an issue whether some blokes in Metallica wore eyeliner or not in the mid-90s - metal is truly the most conformist and conservative musical genre - it's like the army or something - hilarious.:)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Mar 19th 2019

"Radiohead" Unplugged in Paris 2003 is one of the best Youtube sessions I have ever had. Many times. Just sublime.
    Posted By: azel

"Radiohead" Unplugged in Paris 2003 is one of the best Youtube sessions I have ever had. Many times. Just sublime.

Agreed. Their not-so-secret weapon JG deployed to full effect - he is every bit as big a part of their success as Thom.