To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I'm talking about bands you've either tried really hard with and just can't get into (even though they're similar or comparable to bands you do like) or equally bands or artists that are in that "one of these days I really must make an effort with them" pile, i.e. you don't know their stuff but you think you might like them if you gave them a decent try.

Anyway, to kick things off, these are bands I don't know well but I'm curious about and want to make a concerted effort with in 2019:

The Replacements
    The Scorpions
    Rush
    Dr Feelgood
    Megadeth
    Cowboy Junkies
    Swans
    Fugazi
    Suicide
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Bands I never got into, or just plain don't like:

U2
    Rush
    Primus
    Tool/Perfect Circle
    The Cure
    Nine Inch Nails
    Marilyn Manson
    Disturbed
    Slayer
    Testament
    Rammstein
    Korn
    Limp Bizkit
    Alex, if you like Metallica, you should like Megadeth. Both bands founded essentially together. I prefer Megadeth slightly over Metallica, preferring Mustaine's guitar and lyrical aptitude.

One band that I know is great, that I just cannot get into, is Iron Maiden. I can listen to some singers caterwaul, but Bruce Dickinson's nearly opera-like vocals are nails on a chalkboard to me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

U2
    Coldplay
    Foo Fighters
    Rammstein
    Radiohead
    Alice In Chains
    Velvet Revolver
    Every Nu Metal band
    Zepplin
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Rust in Peace by Megadeth is a masterpiece IMHO.
    Moving Pictures by Rush is pretty great, too.

Just like CANADA and Thankass, I never got into U2. Still don't get it.
    Slayer would be another one.
    Or the Scorpions.
    ZZ Top
    And..Bon Jovi...just don't care for it:)

Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Tool & FooFighters I think are worth listening to sometimes though.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Rush
    Motorhead (apart from Another Perfect Day)
    Rolling Stones
    I can't consider a band great if i don't like them. If i thought they were great i would like them. Obviously

Unless you mean just because other people consider a band great you think you should ?
    Posted By: BillyBollocksI can't consider a band great if i don't like them. If i thought they were great i would like them. Obviously

Unless you mean just because other people consider a band great you think you should ?

I guess for me the Beach Boys would be an example. Only a braindead moron would try and deny that Brian Wilson is one of the most innovative and talented songwriters that ever lived but his/his band's music just isn't my cup of tea. I can objectively appreciate that Good Vibrations is an extraordinary, ground-breaking song even though I personally don't 'feel it'.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: BillyBollocksI can't consider a band great if i don't like them. If i thought they were great i would like them. Obviously

I guess for me the Beach Boys would be an example. Only a braindead moron would try and deny that Brian Wilson is one of the most innovative and talented songwriters that ever lived but his/his band's music just isn't my cup of tea. I can objectively appreciate that Good Vibrations is an extraordinary, ground-breaking song even though I personally don't 'feel it'.

Totally agree. You can acknowledge and appreciate the quality of a certain music/album/band without being a fan. Do I listen to Abba a lot? No. Were they great at what they were doing? Absolutely, no question.
    Doors, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, David Bowie, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and maybe LedZepp.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Beach Boys? Smeach Boys.
    Zeppelin (I honestly have little interest in them.)
    Stones
    Prince (Great guitar player, I just don't know much besides Purple Rain. Recommendations?)

I see some guys mention Rush on here. I personally love them, second to AC/DC honestly. Is it Geddy's voice that gets in the way? Or is it something else?
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Posted By: Fast As a Shark
    I see some guys mention Rush on here. I personally love them, second to AC/DC honestly. Is it Geddy's voice that gets in the way? Or is it something else?

Honestly, I know I should love Rush...but something about them just doesn't click with me. One or 2 songs OK I guess, but generally it just doesn't work. And I know from other people they are a great band.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

I don't hate any of these bands, I just never get truly into them no matter how many times I've tried. And I have definitely tried.

Yes, except for 90125 which I love.
    The Rolling Stones, except for a few albums in the middle.
    Nirvana. (Bleach is pretty cool though)
    Neil Young
    David Bowie
    Cream (and Eric Clapton in general)
    Now here's a blasphemous one: Jimi Hendrix. I love listening to his guitar playing, but I don't care much for his singing, and even though I own the albums, I rarely listen to them.
    The Ramones
    Pink Floyd (although I think there are some gems of songs in their discography)
    Radiohead (zzzzzzzz)
    Slayer
    Thinking of some more...
    •  
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Lots of mentions of Rush on here. I'm with Fast As A Shark. Probably my second favorite band based on the albums and CD's I've bought over the years, and still listen to.

I totally get the U2 thing (I'm not a huge fan), but I don't see how someone can listen to Joshua Tree and not realize it's a masterpiece. Along with some other great songs.

I'm surprised not to see Bob Dylan's name show up. Took me quite a while to appreciate him, but I do like a lot his stuff now.
    •  
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Alex, where are you from? I think the Beach Boys really is an American thing. Muscle cars, surfing, beach vibe. They were before my time, but I was still cranking them up on my car stereo as a teenager. Rolling down the street beach side in the summer. "EVERYBODY'S GONE SUUUUUUUURFIN'!!!! SURFIN' U.S.A.!!!!" That's good stuff. : )
    • AC/DC rock music: peluso8
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Pink Floyd, Yngwie Malmsteen and Supertramp
    Posted By: nimeta
    Posted By: Fast As a Shark

Honestly, I know I should love Rush...but something about them just doesn't click with me. One or 2 songs OK I guess, but generally it just doesn't work. And I know from other people they are a great band.

Most people tell me is they love the musicianship, but get turned off by Geddy's voice. I get that, but I think that means you miss Neil Peart's lyrics, which to me are fucking amazing. I'm not a fan of the whimsical kind of prog like ELP or Yes, but I love the heavier stuff like Rush, Fates Warning, Queensryche and Dream Theater.
    Posted By: Inferno

Alex, where are you from? I think the Beach Boys really is an American thing. Muscle cars, surfing, beach vibe. They were before my time, but I was still cranking them up on my car stereo as a teenager. Rolling down the street beach side in the summer. "EVERYBODY'S GONE SUUUUUUUURFIN'!!!! SURFIN' U.S.A.!!!!" That's good stuff. : )

I'm a Brit but I did spend four happy years in CA! I 'get' the Beach Boys - I own and enjoy the Greatest Hits and Pet Sounds, Wild Honey and Today...maybe a couple of others, too, I've forgotten...I guess I just don't play them that often because rock is my genre. But at the same time I wouldn't try and win an argument that - I dunno - BIB was better than Pet Sounds. I can appreciate that PS is a songwriting and production masterpiece that's arguably never been surpassed...I just prefer loud guitars. I guess its about trying to separate subjective and objective opinion - ultimately you can't completely but it's healthy to try.
    Allman Brothers (I love Skynyrd but can't can't into these guys)
    Blue Oyster Cult, beyond the couple hits and the odd song
    Beach Boys
    was let down by a Jesus and Mary Chain compilation or two I bought and Psychocandy didn't know my socks off. Recently heard Head On and loved it so maybe need another try.
    Stones, like them but don't own any and can't listen to huge stretches
    Bowie, beyond a few odd songs
    Soundgarden — I know Cornell had pipes but don't like the timbre of his voice that much, find it a bit grating

I'm sure I pissed off a few people with a couple there.
    Oh yeah, early Genesis — one of my best buds, every time we get drunk at his place, throws on an old Gabriel live son and it's as impressive as fuck. And totally unmemorable. I actually like Abacab as a song more han the Whale and the Trombone in the Backyard or whatever the fuck their early stuff was called.

Ditto for a lot of Yes. I actually loved most of the Rabin 90210 album though. I have a need for a certain accessibility and relatively "melodic" bent in my music.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Feb 23rd 2019

The Beatles
    Posted By: GaolbreakThe Beatles

Truth be told, yeah, I didn't get into them much either. Like a few songs a decent bit but never felt compelled to buy and listen to their albums front to back. Rock radio played them enough.
    Going back to the first post, Alex, I heard about the legendary influence of The Swans way back and gave them a try. Didn't feel it at all.

Should go back and try again, though.

One of my fave bands, Killing Joke, is a bit of an acquired taste and I know that, sometimes, great music, doesn't instantly manifest itself. But it shouldn't be laborious, either, to try to get into a band.

I give most recommended bands about a 5-10 album listen and if it doesn't click by then, I'm done.
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Feb 24th 2019

I give most recommended bands about a 5-10 album listen and if it doesn't click by then, I'm done.

You got lot`s of patience.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Feb 24th 2019

Posted By: CANADAKorn
    Limp Bizkit

SHITE.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Feb 24th 2019 edited

Bowie for example wrote some utter shite...so did FLOYD....but great artists all the same...even DC have put out some right porkers !!

if i was put on the spot id have to say THE JAM
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Feb 24th 2019

Iron Maiden
    Slayer
    The Doors

Of late, getting into a lot of bands I never had time for that I would have listed.
    Mostly classic rock like Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Supertramp, Be Bop Deluxe, Journey etc
    Nice to see a couple of mentions for Zeppelin.
    well, Lynch Mob (she's so evil...) , Living Colour (Desperate people... and all that VIVID Stuff). Led Zeppelin, i saw them live with Bonham at Westfallenhalle Dortmund in 1980. Visited the soundcheck Bonham playing Bonzo's Montreux around 10min. Holy shit.
    Queen
    Beatles
    Beach Boys
    Kiss
    The Doors
    Foo Fighters
    Wait the thread title said "that you know are great" and someone mentioned U2. Should be banned for life. Jeez.

For me:
    Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd
    Zeppelin
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2Wait the thread title said "that you know are great" and someone mentioned U2. Should be banned for life. Jeez.

Bono's a twat, I'll give you that, but the Joshua Tree is a great album. Oh to have a rock album out in 2019 by anybody with that record's world-conquering reach and power.
    •  
    • Feb 25th 2019 edited

Posted By: CliffFINmark2Wait the thread title said "that you know are great" and someone mentioned U2. Should be banned for life. Jeez.

Bono's a twat, I'll give you that, but the Joshua Tree is a great album. Oh to have a rock album out in 2019 by anybody with that record's world-conquering reach and power.

In its day, so was ‘Under a blood red sky’.
    Posted By: azel

Indeed - I always felt on UABRS you could hear how much they wanted it - to a scary degree almost - nothing was going to stand in their way to being the biggest rock band on the planet. What was amazing was how long they stayed at that summit. Same with Madonna in a pop context.
    •  
    • Feb 25th 2019

You guys are cracking me up. There is zero question as to U2's status as a great band, whether you like their music or not. And no, Joshua Tree was not just good in it's day. It's still good now.
    Bono seems like a pretentious twat and some of their recent stuff is sucky and overproduced but I'm on the side that U2 — for what it is — was great for a large body of work.
    Posted By: Inferno

You guys are cracking me up. There is zero question as to U2's status as a great band, whether you like their music or not. And no, Joshua Tree was not just good in it's day. It's still good now.

I wasn't questioning their status at all- agree they are comically underrated on here. Obviously one of the greatest rock bands of all time, just not from a hard rock/metal place.
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2019

It can be just one small ingredient that stops you falling for a band, even though you "get" them. I see a lot of mentions of Led Zep, Rush, a couple for Megadeth and I wouldn't mind betting the vocals plays a large part. I was in the same camp for Zeppelin and Rush for years, and in fact am a relatively recent convert to both. Another band that took me a while to embrace for exactly the same reason was Muse, but once I got it, boy did I!
    Primus
    Tool/Perfect Circle
    The Cure
    Nine Inch Nails
    Marilyn Manson
    Disturbed
    Slayer
    Testament
    Rammstein
    Any Nu Metal Band
    Limp Bizkit plus loads more
    Bon Jovi
    Megadeth
    Alice in Chains. There are fucking loads
    Ghost
    the beatles
    Posted By: azelIt can be just one small ingredient that stops you falling for a band, even though you "get" them. I see a lot of mentions of Led Zep, Rush, a couple for Megadeth and I wouldn't mind betting the vocals plays a large part. I was in the same camp for Zeppelin and Rush for years, and in fact am a relatively recent convert to both. Another band that took me a while to embrace for exactly the same reason was Muse, but once I got it, boy did I!

I struggled with Muse when they first came out because they sounded like a diluted Radiohead knock-off. But on their second album they really came into their own. I still don't think they're in the same league as Radiohead musically but there's no doubt who is more fun live :)
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2019

Posted By: azelIt can be just one small ingredient that stops you falling for a band, even though you "get" them. I see a lot of mentions of Led Zep, Rush, a couple for Megadeth and I wouldn't mind betting the vocals plays a large part. I was in the same camp for Zeppelin and Rush for years, and in fact am a relatively recent convert to both. Another band that took me a while to embrace for exactly the same reason was Muse, but once I got it, boy did I!

I struggled with Muse when they first came out because they sounded like a diluted Radiohead knock-off. But on their second album they really came into their own. I still don't think they're in the same league as Radiohead musically but there's no doubt who is more fun live :)

I just don’t get the Radiohead comparisons. Totally different sound, attitude, concept. More in the lines of Placebo for me. As much as I love Muse, too many commercial fillers drowning out their real class songs now. Fucking amazing at Download a few years back though!
    Radiohead are probably the only band I’ve never seen that I really want/need to.
    Just never comes together!

I just don’t get the Radiohead comparisons. Totally different sound, attitude, concept. More in the lines of Placebo for me. As much as I love Muse, too many commercial fillers drowning out their real class songs now. Fucking amazing at Download a few years back though!
    Radiohead are probably the only band I’ve never seen that I really want/need to.
    Just never comes together!

I've seen Radiohead a few times and had mixed experiences, mainly comes to Thom's mood I expect. He knows damn well that even the diehards want to at least hear some tracks from the Bends & OK Computer - i.e. the 90s guitar-driven stuff - but he's quite prepared to play nothing from that era. That said their show at Earls Court in 2003 would easily be in my top ten gigs ever...
    Steely Dan. The musicianship, the high fidelity production, fuck, I even like JAZZ but I just can’t engage with this band. I own a nice pressing of Aja, and it sounds fucking stellar, but it just doesn’t move me. It’s too bland for me.
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors
    Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    David Bowie
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    (pretty much any thrash metal band)
    Ghost
    Stryper
    Alter Bridge