To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 3rd 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALottheir best recorded live show was Hammersmith 1982, hands down.
    That's indeed correct; )
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALottheir best recorded live show was Hammersmith 1982, hands down.
    That's indeed correct; )

Reading ‘82 is also in the running.
    Posted By: Thankass
    That's indeed correct; )

Yep. I got the DVD with that show when it came out, I had never heard the live album version and I was completely blown away when I watched it.
    •  
    • Jul 3rd 2019 edited

Clive Burr always was my favorite Maiden drummer. Their sound had a more R&R feel with him somehow
    1982 was a good year for them. Wonder who was bigger in the UK in '82: Maiden or AC/DC
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jul 3rd 2019

Definitely AC/DC. FTATR was a No1 the year before and they'd headlined Donington.
    •  
    • Jul 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: RonDefinitely AC/DC. FTATR was a No1 the year before and they'd headlined Donington.
    Yeah, but the NOTB album went to nr.1 in the UK in '82 and spawned a top ten single. Btw; FTATR went to nr.3 in the UK and not nr.1
    Posted By: ThankassClive Burr always was my favorite Maiden drummer. Their sound had a more R&R feel with him somehow
    1982 was a good year for them. Wonder who was bigger in the UK in '82: Maiden or AC/DC

Clive was the best. Never a big fan of Nicko. Clive had the groove and taste, just like Rudd and Steven Adler. Funny how the first drummer is so often the best...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 20th 2019

Country music star Keith Urban and his actress wife Nicole Kidman attended IRON MAIDEN's concert in Nashville, Tennessee on Monday.

The couple got to meet the band backstage before the show at Bridgestone Arena and posed for a group photo, which the 51-year-old singer later shared to Instagram.

He wrote in an accompanying message: "To the entire @ironmaiden team- where do i begin?....... You were ALL beyond hospitable- and quite honestly it was a surreal dream come true for me (us) to meet you guys- AND then when u hit the stage....???- HOLY SHIT...... I told Nic “you wanna see THE MASTERS?- here they are”... and you delivered a fucking ATOMIC EXPLOSION of EVERYTHING that makes you THE GREATEST. The playing- the arrangements- the set list- the sound, the lighting- EDDY!!!!- and BRUUUUUUUUCE- good God man- you’re super human. ALL HAIL THE MATCHLESS, THE PEERLESS IRON MAIDEN. – KU"
    I’ve never heard of Keith Urban but his love of Maiden sounds unmistakably sincere - good lad.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Aug 20th 2019

Keith Urban is an Australian country music superstar.
    He's pretty handy with a guitar too.
    Another Maiden Fan here.

Seen them live a few times but not since 1991 ! Apart from an odd song here and there I don't really rate the albums much since FOTD.

Ignoring AC/DC stuff for a second, for me, the first album "Iron Maiden" is possibly the greatest album of all time.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 29th 2019

Posted By: medium_rareIgnoring AC/DC stuff for a second, for me, the first album "Iron Maiden" is possibly the greatest album of all time.

Not necessarily Maiden Fan here:)
    But I have to agree, the Iron Maiden debut is phenomenal.
    •  
    • Aug 29th 2019 edited

Going to see them next week. Should be a great show! (First time I saw them was Piece of Mind tour.)
    Posted By: InfernoGoing to see them next week. Should be a great show! (First time I saw them was Piece of Mind tour.)

Fuck, they opened with Where Eagles Dare on that tour. Lucky bastard. ;)

I saw Maiden in '17 and enjoyed the show, but I'm not dying to see them again strangely. Not sure why, probably the setlist.
    Posted By: Fast As a Shark
    Posted By: InfernoGoing to see them next week. Should be a great show! (First time I saw them was Piece of Mind tour.)

I saw Maiden in '17 and enjoyed the show, but I'm not dying to see them again strangely. Not sure why, probably the setlist.
    I could have gone to see them back in July, but I wanted my first concert to be ACDC. If ACDC aren't touring, then I'll just move on, but not until we get a confirmation/get shot down in flames.

I want them to play more Di'anno stuff. It's a bit different with Bruce, of course, but those first two albums have literally zero weak tracks.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

I want them to play more Di'anno stuff. It's a bit different with Bruce, of course, but those first two albums have literally zero weak tracks.

I feel the same way about the Di'anno material. Bedlam's ranting about the first Maiden LP reminded me how much I love that one. What I'd like to honestly see is super deep cuts they've never done live like Back in the Village or a hidden gem like Caught Somewhere in Time. Fear of the Dark is cool, but man that's just one spot that can be changed up. Thankfully they didn't play Run to the Hills when I saw them.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

I feel the same way about the Di'anno material. Bedlam's ranting about the first Maiden LP reminded me how much I love that one. What I'd like to honestly see is super deep cuts they've never done live like Back in the Village or a hidden gem like Caught Somewhere in Time. Fear of the Dark is cool, but man that's just one spot that can be changed up. Thankfully they didn't play Run to the Hills when I saw them.
    Would Flash of the Blade be considered a deep cut? I don't know enough about what's in their setlists to compare it, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

At least they seem better at putting decent amounts of deep cuts in when compared to ACDC
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Aug 29th 2019

The Di'Anno albums, plus Seventh son for a seventh son albums are AWESOME.
    Would Flash of the Blade be considered a deep cut? I don't know enough about what's in their setlists to compare it, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

At least they seem better at putting decent amounts of deep cuts in when compared to ACDC

Yeah, I would put Flash of the Blade in that list. And why Still Life never got played more is beyond me. They've done a good job with pulling out deep cuts over the years. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Blaze material like Sign of the Cross. It's just they're so insistent on playing long stuff it gets tiring. Seeing Dream Theater or Rush do that is one thing, but with Maiden it gets repetitive quickly.

Yeah, I would put Flash of the Blade in that list. And why Still Life never got played more is beyond me. They've done a good job with pulling out deep cuts over the years. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Blaze material like Sign of the Cross. It's just they're so insistent on playing long stuff it gets tiring. Seeing Dream Theater or Rush do that is one thing, but with Maiden it gets repetitive quickly.

Fucking right. I remember when Metallica put a couple "long" songs on their albums that were around 7 or 8 minutes each. They were considered epic and welcome if only twice per album. Now that's standard Maiden fare and the long ones you could cook a fucking turkey to.

Might work for some but not me. Heavy music needs to be punchy and mostly "song" length: 4-6 minutes. Once in a blue moon an At War With Satan is fun but as a very rare exception.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto

Fucking right. I remember when Metallica put a couple "long" songs on their albums that were around 7 or 8 minutes each. They were considered epic and welcome if only twice per album. Now that's standard Maiden fare and the long ones you could cook a fucking turkey to.

Might work for some but not me. Heavy music needs to be punchy and mostly "song" length: 4-6 minutes. Once in a blue moon an At War With Satan is fun but as a very rare exception.

It works as long as the songs are varied in their arrangements. I saw Dream Theater do a couple 15-20 minute songs and it was great cause of the variety within the songs, but most of Maiden's long songs follow the same formula. That being said, I do enjoy Empire of the Clouds off the last album. That one had a lot going for it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Sep 2nd 2019

Recently heard 2 Minutes on the radio for the first time in a while; had somewhat forgotten what a properly thought out tune that is. May need to re-acquire the album.
    Posted By: JanonenRecently heard 2 Minutes on the radio for the first time in a while; had somewhat forgotten what a properly thought out tune that is. May need to re-acquire the album.
    Powerslave's my favorite. It's top to bottom fantastic, even the tracks in the middle.
    Piece of Mind is my favorite early Bruce era album. To Tame A Land is their best epic ever, IMO. And terribly overlooked. There's also Revelations, Where Eagles Dare and Still Life on that album. Late Bruce: AMOLAD. Dianno: Killers.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotPiece of Mind is my favorite early Bruce era album. To Tame A Land is their best epic ever, IMO. And terribly overlooked. There's also Revelations, Where Eagles Dare and Still Life on that album. Late Bruce: AMOLAD. Dianno: Killers.

Still Life is a fucking masterpiece. What I'd give to see that in the setlist.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotPiece of Mind is my favorite early Bruce era album. To Tame A Land is their best epic ever, IMO. And terribly overlooked. There's also Revelations, Where Eagles Dare and Still Life on that album. Late Bruce: AMOLAD. Dianno: Killers.

It's shame they only played it in 1988 when Bruce's voice was shot.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot

It's shame they only played it in 1988 when Bruce's voice was shot.

Agreed. I love that Maiden England video, but I think I read Bruce had a bad cold at that time sadly. Gotta give him credit though. He bounces around like nothing bothers him.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI’ve never heard of Keith Urban

Keith Urban is the Jon Bon Jovi of country music. Look him up. I dare ya.
    •  
    • Sep 5th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI’ve never heard of Keith Urban

Keith Urban is the Jon Bon Jovi of country music. Look him up. I dare ya.
    Isn't he just the surrogate Tom Cruise because Nicole never got over him?
    The best Keith Urban I've heard is this. Then it is a song written by Vanda and Young:

Keith Urban may have that pop-bon jovi-vibe or whatever but he's a mindblowing guitar player. First time I ever heard the guitar solo in this song I shat my pants

Pretty tasteful stuff. I'm most amazed that they actually brought the guitar to the front of the mix for the solo. More mixers need to do that. It's stupid how many great solos get lost in the mix.
    Here's one for Alex Lebanon:

Wow. That awful rendition of GS easily surpasses even the worst covers of HTH that have been posted here. Dear god.
    Posted By: El3ment380Wow. That awful rendition of GS easily surpasses even the worst covers of HTH that have been posted here. Dear god.

Listen, I'm not a Keith Urban hater (I just like to make fun of his pretty boy image), but yeah, that is not good cover.
    Posted By: El3ment380Wow. That awful rendition of GS easily surpasses even the worst covers of HTH that have been posted here. Dear god.
    Took me a sec to realize you meant Gimme Shelter and not Gone Shootin ;)
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Saw Maiden last night. Those guys still put on a great show! (Janik Gers is a goofball) Four songs from Piece of Mind album.

Churchill's Speech

Aces High

Where Eagles Dare

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Clansman

The Trooper

Revelations

For the Greater Good of God

The Wicker Man

Sign of the Cross

Flight of Icarus

Fear of the Dark

The Number of the Beast

Iron Maiden

Encore:
    The Evil That Men Do

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Run to the Hills
    3 guitarists is 1 guitarist too many, but good on Maiden for not kicking Gers to the curb.
    Posted By: InfernoSaw Maiden last night. Those guys still put on a great show! (Janik Gers is a goofball) Four songs from Piece of Mind album.

Churchill's Speech

Aces High

Where Eagles Dare

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Clansman

The Trooper

Revelations

The Wicker Man

Sign of the Cross

Flight of Icarus

Fear of the Dark

The Number of the Beast

Iron Maiden

Encore:
    The Evil That Men Do

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Run to the Hills

Only 16 songs (including the encore)? Did the members of Maiden have to go to bed early?
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permFour songs from Piece of Mind album.

Their best album (sorry Clive Burr lovers).

Shit... I love Burr's playing but I also just said POM is my favorite album...

Seriously though, the only thing that could have made POM better would be Clive.
    • AC/DC rock music: Brody/DC
    • Sep 6th 2019

Posted By: InfernoSaw Maiden last night. Those guys still put on a great show! (Janik Gers is a goofball) Four songs from Piece of Mind album.

Churchill's Speech

Aces High

Where Eagles Dare

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Clansman

The Trooper

Revelations

The Wicker Man

Sign of the Cross

Flight of Icarus

Fear of the Dark

The Number of the Beast

Iron Maiden

Encore:
    The Evil That Men Do

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Run to the Hills

Only 16 songs (including the encore)? Did the members of Maiden have to go to bed early?

In fairness, a good number of the songs are close to ten minutes long or more. Most are longer than five.

Nope, both NOB and PS edge it but it is close.

Churchill's Speech

Aces High

Where Eagles Dare

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Clansman

The Trooper

Revelations

The Wicker Man

Sign of the Cross

Flight of Icarus

Fear of the Dark

The Number of the Beast

Iron Maiden

Encore:
    The Evil That Men Do

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Run to the Hills

Pithy in-depth review please Mr Inferno, I can find out what they played on setlist.com :)
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Nope, both NOB and PS edge it but it is close.
    POM might be my favorite sounding Maiden record, but Quest For Fire and Sun and Steel are sub-par when compared to the stuff they were pumping out on the other albums surrounding it. That being said, Still Life, Die With Your Boots On, Where Eagles Dare, and most of the rest of the album is utterly fantastic.

I still prefer the Di'anno stuff, NOTB, and PS, though. All four of them are perfect, though arguments can be made against Gangland.
    NOB will always rule supreme because its home to their signature song (NOB), their greatest song (HBTN) and one of the biggest hits (RTTH) - and the rest of it is pretty great. I actually don't mind Gangland, its sort of a throwback to their earlier, punkier days - nice to have an IM song that's not about fucking history for once :) I will concede that Invaders is a weak opener though, a triumph of perspiration over inspiration as they say.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonNOB will always rule supreme because its home to their signature song (NOB), their greatest song (HBTN) and one of the biggest hits (RTTH) - and the rest of it is pretty great. I actually don't mind Gangland, its sort of a throwback to their earlier, punkier days - nice to have an IM song that's not about fucking history for once :) I will concede that Invaders is a weak opener though, a triumph of perspiration over inspiration as they say.
    I do like gangland, I just said that arguments could be made against it (it is the weakest on the record and does feel somewhat thrown in on side two with 3 other monsters of songs). I don't mind Invaders being first, as it leaves the best stuff on the album for later. It's a unique experience - I can imagine a Maiden fan having just bought the album and having never heard Bruce, putting it on for the first time in anticipation of what it'll be like, and being slightly disappointed with Invaders. Then, they hear Children of the Damned, and they're like "ok, this is going somewhere". Then you get the Prisoner (my personal favorite on the album), which then really introduces just how much more grand and melodic they are with Bruce. From then on, it's more or less track after track of brilliance.

This really contrasts with the structure of PS, as it is book-ended with two standout masterpieces (AH and TMTM, then PS and ROTAM). The middle is where things aren't as phenomenal, but that's like saying the four pieces of gold in the middle aren't as shiny as the ones on the outside. Flash of the Blade is a classic Maiden track with one of the best choruses ever, Losfer Words is an endlessly fun instrumental piece, The Duellists is another great track that Dave, Adrian, and Bruce really shine on. Back in the Village is the weakest to me, but perfectly listenable and fits in the album much better than Gangland does. This record is definitely at the top for me - the songwriting, performances, and overall vibe make for a top 10 ever album for me.

I agree that it's nice to have some more rock and roll/punk-y styled stuff every now and then, but Di'anno did it much better than Bruce ever did. Killers is top to bottom fast, loud rock and roll with splashes of punk and a shit ton of attitude.
    •  
    • Sep 7th 2019 edited

First four Maiden albums are all equally classic to me. A few duds here and there, but wonderful collections of songs.
    •  
    • Sep 7th 2019

Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Churchill's Speech

Aces High

Where Eagles Dare

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Clansman

The Trooper

Revelations

The Wicker Man

Sign of the Cross

Flight of Icarus

Fear of the Dark

The Number of the Beast

Iron Maiden

Encore:
    The Evil That Men Do

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Run to the Hills

Pithy in-depth review please Mr Inferno, I can find out what they played on setlist.com :)

Just quick and easy way for me to copy and paste so you could see the Piece Of Mind songs they played. No need to review the show. If you get the chance to see them, do it!
    The first album was the weakest of the early ones, no doubt. Production quality didn't do it any favors either.

In fact, my favorite track on the first album was actually way better on the Soundhouse Tapes; Strange World...