To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I just couldn't hold back any longer - I must make a thread about this band. Anyone here ever heard of them? ;)

This is definitely as far into metal as I care to go, but holy shit am I glad I went here. I would barely consider this metal, in fact I only do because it doesn't sound like rock n roll - it's definitely somewhere in the middle. Whatever it is, it's fantastic. Stylistically different than Black Sabbath (faster, yet lighter and more grand)

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Feb 21st 2019

Great band. The fact they were able to get to where are/were without radio play is a testament to the quality of their music. Their run of albums up to Seventh Son is arguably the greatest in rock history.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Lots of Maiden fans on here. Can't wait for the show this summer.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 22nd 2019

@Penguin; Great band. Try to get the Live After Death double album on vinyl (with Phantom). That will give you their best testimony and one of the best live albums ever made.

Also agree with Gaolbreak, but i would call it Heavy Metal instead of Rock.
    Great band, still great live show. I don´t care much for anything after Piece of Mind though, which is a metal masterpiece.
    • AC/DC rock music: CWT1965
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Not a fan these days, loved them when they first started they had much better material in the Paul Di’Anno era
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Love all the Maiden stuff. They're a fantastic band.
    Bruce Dickinson's solo albums are worth a listen too.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Feb 22nd 2019 edited

I never really got into them, but I respect them. Something unique, right down to the lyrics and things. I really like Steve Harris, he's a proper down-to-earth East London type.

The idea of three guitarists is weird, but it's nice if they just couldn't bring themselves to boot-out Janick Gers, yet wanted to bring Ades back in (fair enough all-round as Ades quit).

And the way that solo in Number Of The Beast comes flying in definitely made a mark on me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Heavy Metal at its best.

I love practically everything they done up to Fear of the Dark. After Fear they done some good stuff but they sound somewhat repetitive.

Anyways, it's always a pleasure to see them live and they come to Brazil every other year so I get to watch them very often.
    Love them. Watch this live video from the Number Of The Beast tour if you haven't seen it. They sound absolutely phenomenal here.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Feb 22nd 2019 edited

Never understood their Heavy Metal. A record I can listen to barely is Piece Of Mind. Saw them live on the No Prayer For The Dying Tour and thought it was utterly dull. Bands like Judas Priest are better. Anthrax, even more dull and also a band without good songs, was the opening act. Scott Ian is a cool guy and all, but their music? Part of the Anthrax act was Scott Ian shouting "suck my motherfucking dick!" several times, or something to that effect. Maybe it took a while for those guys to pass adolescence.
    •  
    • Feb 22nd 2019 edited

•  
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakNever understood their Heavy Metal. A record I can listen to barely is Piece Of Mind.
    Maiden cleary wasn't made for you
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: MeanstreakNever understood their Heavy Metal. A record I can listen to barely is Piece Of Mind.
    Maiden cleary wasn't made for you

That's ok. They weren't Maiden for me. Can't deny their popularity.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Loved them so much as a kid, and they do some great shows. When I was young they were possibly my favourite band for quite a while.

I still listen to their early albums from time to time, but slowly over time I found that as I grew up I still listen to ACDC a lot more.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Feb 22nd 2019 edited

Great live band and the spitfire in the new stage show is brilliant.
    First band I ever saw live back in 1980... well, second if you include their support band, which was Simon Wright's band AIIZ. Second time I saw Maiden was in February 1981 and the support band was Trust, who had Nicki McBrain on drums and of course there's another AC/DC connection as Trust were Bon's mates and of course Bon's last ever released recording being Ride On with Trust. Small world eh?
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Posted By: GoulashGreat live band and the spitfire in the new stage show is brilliant.
    First band I ever saw live back in 1980... well, second if you include their support band, which was Simon Wright's band AIIZ, although Simon wasn't with them at the time. Second time I saw Maiden was in February 1981 and the support band was Trust, who had Nicki McBrain on drums and of course there's another AC/DC connection as Trust were Bon's mates and of course Bon's last ever released recording being Ride On with Trust. Small world eh?
    Posted By: MeanstreakNever understood their Heavy Metal. A record I can listen to barely is Piece Of Mind. Saw them live on the No Prayer For The Dying Tour and thought it was utterly dull. Bands like Judas Priest are better. Anthrax, even more dull and also a band without good songs, was the opening act. Scott Ian is a cool guy and all, but their music? Part of the Anthrax act was Scott Ian shouting "suck my motherfucking dick!" several times, or something to that effect. Maybe it took a while for those guys to pass adolescence.

Each to their own Meanie but I’m not sure you can really say that Judas Priest are any less silly and adolescent than Maiden or Anthrax - i mean look at all their hilariously OTT artwork, titles like “Hell Bent For Leather”, “Screaming For Vengeance” would embarrass a 12 year old even though they are undoubtedly metal classics. The truth is ALL metal is a bit silly and childish - if you want more grown-up/serious/articulate rebellion you’re better off with the Clash or the MC5 or the Dead Kennedys. But within the metal genre for me there’s no greater band than Maiden - no one else has that killer combination of immersive atmospheric epics like ROTAM and rapid fire hit singles like 2 Minutes and Run To Hills etc. Obviously the 80s stuff is untouchable up to and including SSOASS but almost everything they’ve done since the 2000 reunion is great too - unlike most big, long running bands they 100 percent live in the present.
    Powerslave is the best of what I’ve heard, followed by Killers.

This really brings up the question of what is considered heavy metal - this is metal, but so is shit like Slayer and more recent “goregrind” stuff. It’s like one prison cell being shared by a guy that smoked weed once and a serial rapist - they’re considered the same but are to much different extremes.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Feb 22nd 2019 edited

Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: MeanstreakNever understood their Heavy Metal. A record I can listen to barely is Piece Of Mind. Saw them live on the No Prayer For The Dying Tour and thought it was utterly dull. Bands like Judas Priest are better. Anthrax, even more dull and also a band without good songs, was the opening act. Scott Ian is a cool guy and all, but their music? Part of the Anthrax act was Scott Ian shouting "suck my motherfucking dick!" several times, or something to that effect. Maybe it took a while for those guys to pass adolescence.

Each to their own Meanie but I’m not sure you can really say that Judas Priest are any less silly and adolescent than Maiden or Anthrax - i mean look at all their hilariously OTT artwork, titles like “Hell Bent For Leather”, “Screaming For Vengeance” would embarrass a 12 year old even though they are undoubtedly metal classics. The truth is ALL metal is a bit silly and childish - if you want more grown-up/serious/articulate rebellion you’re better off with the Clash or the MC5 or the Dead Kennedys. But within the metal genre for me there’s no greater band than Maiden - no one else has that killer combination of immersive atmospheric epics like ROTAM and rapid fire hit singles like 2 Minutes and Run To Hills etc. Obviously the 80s stuff is untouchable up to and including SSOASS but almost everything they’ve done since the 2000 reunion is great too - unlike most big, long running bands they 100 percent live in the present.

Alex, yes each to their own. While mentioning Judas Priest, I didn't mean that they were less silly, even though when making a comparison I think they are. But, I don't follow that band either and I'm not familiar with their latest work. What I was implying is that their songs are better. One example of that:

• AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Feb 22nd 2019

I love all eras , all singers apart the albums after Brave New World. Not a big fan of them. Any era has its masterpiece.

3 favorites from three different eras/Singers
    I'm with Meany here, if I were to choose I'd go with Judas Priest any day. Their early stuff is faultless.

• AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Love Maiden. Even some of that Virtual stuff.

Should be in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (IMHO).
    • Feb 22nd 2019 edited

Posted By: CANADALove Maiden. Even some of that Virtual stuff.

Should be in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (IMHO).
    Virtual is pretty good. The Angel...Got a lot of shit because it's really tooooooo long an repetitive but it's a fun song especially in the Single version. The rest of the album has great songs. I don't like too much the albums after BNW....The Final Frontier is their worst to me
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Feb 22nd 2019

No disrespect to Judas Priest and the like, it's just my opinion, but that sounds like 'toy' music compared to Iron Maiden. The latter (aside from crap like Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter) always sounded mean and serious, intelligent-sounding.
    Judas Priest is toy music compared to Iron Maiden.

Ok, man.
    Posted By: ShootToThrillLove them. Watch this live video from the Number Of The Beast tour if you haven't seen it. They sound absolutely phenomenal here.

I love that video. Bruce sounds so vicious. And the great, late Clive Burr on drums! Nicko's great, but Clive was just as good, if not better at times. Saw them for the first time with Ghost in 2017 and had a blast. Goes without saying Trooper is one fine beer. :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Feb 22nd 2019

anyone old enough to remember THE FIRST TEN YEARS BOX SET ? (the one with listen with Nicko)

welll i ve just been listening to it..anyone know if a SECOND TEN YEARS came out ??
    I actually like both Maiden and Priest. Is that allowed?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Feb 22nd 2019

Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Judas Priest. All top tier bands to me.
    Have the full album catalogues from all of them.
    Posted By: Fast As a Shark
    Posted By: ShootToThrillLove them. Watch this live video from the Number Of The Beast tour if you haven't seen it. They sound absolutely phenomenal here.

I love that video. Bruce sounds so vicious. And the great, late Clive Burr on drums! Nicko's great, but Clive was just as good, if not better at times. Saw them for the first time with Ghost in 2017 and had a blast. Goes without saying Trooper is one fine beer. :)

I just realized the video I posted has the audio out of sync. If anyone is interested, there are other versions on YouTube which might be better, and the video is also available on this DVD:

https://en.wikipedia...
    Posted By: BallToucherGreat band, still great live show. I don´t care much for anything after Piece of Mind though, which is a metal masterpiece.

No love for Powerslave? I always thought that the opening 1-2 of Aces High followed by 2 minutes to Midnight was just insanely strong & almost - almost - the equal of HB and STT as an opening duo.
    Loved Maiden growing up. At least up till Powerslave. Seventh Son grew on me years later and I had a phase where I listened to it a lot but haven't returned.

The stuff in their later years has moments — with A Matter Of Life And Death standing out to me — but they lost their fire, their rock edge and got into ponderous, overly long songs with similar structures: Harris noodling slowly in the beginning, big build up, etc. And it kills me that people call this bombastic nonsense "prog" just because the songs are long. Prog is not about long songs; it's about experimenting with time signatures, rhythms, different chords and unexpected melodies and lyrics. I see none of that in the the Maiden of the last 20 years.

The last few years I've been recognizing (again, liked them when they came out but maybe didn't think it was the apex) of the first two albums: a raw and infectious energy that even had a punk-like feel no matter how badly Harris wants to say they don't (maybe it goes against his proggy ideals).

I'd rather listen to Prowler or Drifters more than almost anything they've ever released. It just felt raw and emotional.
    •  
    • Feb 23rd 2019

I've never heard anyone call Maiden prog rock.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Alex LebanonNo love for Powerslave? I always thought that the opening 1-2 of Aces High followed by 2 minutes to Midnight was just insanely strong & almost - almost - the equal of HB and STT as an opening duo.

There are of course a few tracks here and there I also enjoy. Those two are great, Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years...etc. Be Quick or Be Dead is fantastic. The guitar play on Afraid to Shoot Strangers is amazing. But the last album 'as a whole' that I really like is Piece of Mind.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Feb 23rd 2019

whats everyones thoughts on X FACTOR ?
    Posted By: InfernoI've never heard anyone call Maiden prog rock.

Me neither - and thank God they're not prog - prog to me is indulgent widdly-widdly, up-its-arse shite like Yes and ELP that punk rock beat into its grave, thank fuck. Honestly if you gave me the choice of listening to some quadruple album by Yes inspired by Saturns' rings or drinking a bucket of donkey cum I wouldn't even have to think twice.
    • AC/DC rock music: Brody/DC
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Posted By: angus1878whats everyones thoughts on X FACTOR ?

Good album, but Blaze wasn't 1/10 the singer he later became at that point. Plus it didn't help that the songs forced him to sing out of his natural register at times. There are also some issues with production not being great, but songs like Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge, and Lord of the Flies stick out.
    I don't care much for them but a friend of mine took me to a concert last year and I liked the show. Spectacular, loud but "too much" for me personally, but top quality. Liked the Stones a bit more 2 days after. :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Posted By: Brody/DC

Good album, but Blaze wasn't 1/10 the singer he later became at that point. Plus it didn't help that the songs forced him to sing out of his natural register at times. There are also some issues with production not being great, but songs like Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge, and Lord of the Flies stick out.

Blaze Bailey is SHITE. And a FAT BASTARD.

Underrated masterpiece ill take it over most maiden albums
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Pretty shitty tv show.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Powerslave was spun on the TT more than once; Be Quick or Be Dead's no snoozer, either.
    • Feb 23rd 2019

My favorite album. Fuck the haters and Bruce's fanboys
    •  
    • Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Posted By: rideon77Fuck the haters and Bruce's fanboys

Says the guy who wants Axl Rose in AC/DC.

I've got no hate for Blaze (I know nothing about him), but that song doesn't sound right to me.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI'd rather listen to Prowler or Drifters more than almost anything they've ever released. It just felt raw and emotional.
    Prowler is definitely one of my top tracks - it's just booming with attitude and has a fantastic riff.

What're the opinions here - Bruce or Paul? Bruce feels more like Iron Maiden in general, but Paul has something about him that Bruce lacked (a very gritty and overall appealing voice). Overall, though, Imma have to go with Bruce because Powerslave is my favorite and he really enforces the already strong melodies, such as on flash of the blade.
    Pretty much my opinion.^^^ I will say I am not the biggest fan of Bruce doing Remember Tomorrow. Paul sang that one perfectly and I just can't get into Bruce's vocals on this one.

• Feb 23rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: rideon77Fuck the haters and Bruce's fanboys

Says the guy who wants Axl Rose in AC/DC.

I've got no hate for Blaze (I know nothing about him), but that song doesn't sound right to me.
    Because you have to check your ears maybe. I'm not a fanboy man. I just don't like the fact SOME people here put Brian ahead the whole band, Mal included. They accepted AC/DC carrying on without Mal and asked refunds and insulted Angus when Brian couldn't go on for his own problems. That was bad. And yes I rooted for Axl , I wanted so bad these people to ashamed of themselves. Not fans for me, at least not AC/DC fans. Just like the people who didn't accept that great album, the last Maiden Masterpiece that was The X Factor, because Bruce left . Steve Harris is Iron Maiden, Angus and Mal are AC/DC . I don't care if you or others think differently to be hones, I will never change my opinion
    • Feb 23rd 2019

Posted By: Thegamer101135

Underrated masterpiece ill take it over most maiden albums
    You have great music tastes!
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI'd rather listen to Prowler or Drifters more than almost anything they've ever released. It just felt raw and emotional.
    Prowler is definitely one of my top tracks - it's just booming with attitude and has a fantastic riff.

What're this forums opinion - Bruce or Paul? Bruce feels more like Iron Maiden in general, but Paul has something about him that Bruce lacked (a very gritty and overall appealing voice). Overall, though, Imma have to go with Bruce because Powerslave is my favorite and he really brings enforces the already strong melodies, such as on flash of the blade.

By his own admission Paul was a punk in a metal band - that's what gave them a grittier edge on those first two albums - it was like fusing two explosive chemicals together.