To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Feb 8th 2019

About the Ballbreaker album in regards to the Ballbreaker track itself....
    First off, despite it's faults, I like the album - I've always thought it had a great sound....I just take it as it is, crank it high, and enjoy it, lettuce and all LOL.
    Brian's pipes show some wear on this album ...but the title track itself.....dam, to me it's KILLER. I never get tired of the song. One thing I've noticed is that to me, Brian's vocals are just plain and simple superior on the track compared to the rest of the album, especially the strength and clarity. He just sounds badass. I like the song so much, especially the vocals, that to me it almost seems the song doesn't belong on the album, and it just stands alone.
    Does anyone else's ears hear a clear distinction between the vocal quality on the title track compared to the entire rest of the album? I've gone so far as to wonder if it was recorded on a different timetable than the rest of the album.
    Thoughts?
    Awesome wxcellent bad ass track. When Brian comes back in after the solo, holy shit man
    Great track (although not my favorite on the album, that would be Hail Caesar), but it does work better live. When I want to listen to the song, I pull up No Bull and get going. Brian on the steel ball, Phil banging away, etc.. Great version.

It probably encompasses the entire album the best, though, and represents that era pretty well - Brian's "shot" vocals (dedication at its finest), Phil's back, less melodic and more repetitive, Angus is soloing slightly different (a product of the songs, probably), and the lyrics are shit ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Feb 8th 2019

Killer track, a truly classic
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Feb 8th 2019

Posted By: CannonDoes anyone else's ears hear a clear distinction between the vocal quality on the title track compared to the entire rest of the album?

The verse parts in the lower register sound great because his voice is so strong there, even now. The higher bits, I guess he's just really going for it on that one, perhaps something like The Furor has some similar intensity. I actually think he regained a little more lungpower once SUL came around.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Feb 8th 2019

I love it, pretty much the reason why Ballbreaker was the first AC/DC album I bought.

Also, this song from No Bull is one of my favorite (top 5 maybe) AC/DC live performances. Everything's fucking banging on that.
    Rip snorter
    I love it. One of their greatest ever riffs. Sounds way more epic than FTATR without all the studio inflation. In my top 3 Brian tracks easy.
    I'd put on par with Big Gun as a great later day track. There's just something about the corniness of the verse lyrics that doesn't sit right with me. The main riff is absolutely majestic. I'll give it that.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI love it. One of their greatest ever riffs. Sounds way more epic than FTATR without all the studio inflation. In my top 3 Brian tracks easy.
    Are you and Jem in kahoots? ;)
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI love it. One of their greatest ever riffs. Sounds way more epic than FTATR without all the studio inflation. In my top 3 Brian tracks easy.

On the contrary, I'm 99 percent sure BB is not in Jem's top 3 Brian tracks, or even top 5. I seem to remember that he labours under the misapprehension that Guns For Hire - or Guns For Fucking Hire as he calls it - is a superior song to Ballbreaker. While GFH is a noble, spirited effort I hold in much affection, BB grinds it into fine dust, probably without even noticing, while marauding up Fifth Avenue, ripping up skyscrapers Godzilla-style :)
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permI'd put on par with Big Gun as a great later day track. There's just something about the corniness of the verse lyrics that doesn't sit right with me. The main riff is absolutely majestic. I'll give it that.

Big Gun is not in the room. Or the building. It might not even be in the same town. ;)
    Great song aided by perfect simplicity and absolute energy. Brian doesn't have his 80s voice but gives it up and hits the notes.

We needed WAY more of this lower registers stuff that he teased us with here. I bet if we had this singing on three songs every album since then Brian would've reinvented/expanded his legacy as a fucking baritone growler full of character like a a lot of great aging vocalists from other genres.
    Just when I start thinking Alex and his alt-loving ways is really fucking smart, he says or implies something ridiculous like For Those the track isn't epic because of "studio inflation."

[Shakes head sadly.] Not everything needs to sound like the fuckin' Fall (and I do love Mark E. Smith, my friend).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Feb 9th 2019

Posted By: Alex Lebanon

On the contrary, I'm 99 percent sure BB is not in Jem's top 3 Brian tracks, or even top 5. I seem to remember that he labours under the misapprehension that Guns For Hire - or Guns For Fucking Hire as he calls it - is a superior song to Ballbreaker. While GFH is a noble, spirited effort I hold in much affection, BB grinds it into fine dust, probably without even noticing, while marauding up Fifth Avenue, ripping up skyscrapers Godzilla-style :)

I’m not sure that GFFH would be in my Brian Top Ten, never mind BB :)

BB is a fucking ripper live. It doesn’t quite match up on record but that is Rubin’s fault. Hard to argue against it being Top 5 from the last 30 years.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Feb 9th 2019

Posting No Bull yet again. Because this version ROCKS.

•  
    • Feb 9th 2019

Weird that it never made the set again.
    I put it right up there with anything from the 80's. Absolutely love it,Brian smashes it out the park with his rougher ragged sound the whole track is a ripper. Riffs are cooking and the production actually works best on this track I think.

That being said, it was even better live and I hate that it never got another airing after the initial tour. I know it was likely a harder one for him to do,cause it looks like he was giving everything he had to nail it. Would love to see him try it again though, in this era with his smoother sound.

Should have been one of the lead singles, surprised it didn't get a video.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Feb 9th 2019 edited

I enjoy that song, it's really strong!
    Ballbreaker, Hail Ceasar and Cover You In Oil is stand out tracks on that album.
    Seen in a larger context, Ballbreaker definitely belongs to my favorite songs with Brian. Top 5-10.
    Prefer the version on plug me in - Brian so hot he has to rip his shirt off and Angus going mental at the end and the version on vh1 - the lights are fkin cool on that version. No bull was the most disappointed I’ve ever been on an AC/DC live product - sound is sht - too echoey on a lot of songs. I can’t separate GFFH and Ballbreaker - both 10/10 Brian songs which couldn’t be any better to me - same as SUL. All 3 should still be in the live set list without doubt.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Feb 9th 2019

Ballbreaker is ball bustin brilliance.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Feb 9th 2019

Still my favourite version by some distance.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 9th 2019 edited

See how a little pace can turn a turd with the same riff (Damned) into a barnstormer.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Feb 9th 2019

Posted By: Grim177Still my favourite version by some distance.

Aye, mine too. Utterly fucking awesome.
    Posted By: JemWeird that it never made the set again.

Over in the thread about Rolling Stone reviews Thankass made the point that RS star ratings are pretty much defined by a given album's commercial performance. To some extent the same could also be said for AC/DC's criteria re: for what makes the setlist, certainly in terms of the post-BIB material.
    Posted By: Grim177Still my favourite version by some distance.

Was there an audience at the VH1 performance? If not, how lucky were the camera and lighting crew to witness that!
    Waaaay too overrated on this forum. It never was all that to my ears.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Feb 9th 2019

Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCatWas there an audience at the VH1 performance? If not, how lucky were the camera and lighting crew to witness that!

No and yes, if any of them were fans ;)
    • AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Feb 9th 2019

I still prefer HAAR to any other song on BB. Overall, the album has great bone-dry production.
    •  
    • Feb 9th 2019

I hate the production. Fucking hate it. Zero atmosphere. Robs every track.
    Posted By: JemI hate the production. Fucking hate it. Zero atmosphere. Robs every track.
    Interesting. Let's take Fly, for example, which has a very distinct production which some consider shitty and some consider bearable (like myself). It's incredibly atmospheric or whatever you want to call it, but some would prefer having no atmosphere (such as BB) over it. I never really thought of Ballbreaker having that, I just thought it was very unintentionally dry. That's why I like the No Bull version more; it's more resonant and direct, if that makes any sense. It could be compared to FOTS, but Flick has much better songs, performances, and feels appropriate. As I said, I don't think Rubin intended the sound to be that lacking if he was trying to get their 70's sound back (well, at least not AS lacking), while as the band definitely intended to go drier in 1983. I don't particularly hate the BB production (I do like it better than TRE production, which I will never be able to put words to why I don't like it), but SUL is when they nailed the sound their late period should have with songs like that. The guitars on BB sound fine to me, but the overall feeling that the album has and the vocals in particular aren't produced well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: malgus73
    • Feb 9th 2019

Posted By: JemI hate the production. Fucking hate it. Zero atmosphere. Robs every track.
    Interesting. Let's take Fly, for example, which has a very distinct production which some consider shitty and some consider bearable (like myself). It's incredibly atmospheric or whatever you want to call it, but some would prefer having no atmosphere (such as BB) over it. I never really thought of Ballbreaker having that, I just thought it was very unintentionally dry. That's why I like the No Bull version more; it's more resonant and direct, if that makes any sense. It could be compared to FOTS, but Flick has much better songs, performances, and feels appropriate. As I said, I don't think Rubin intended the sound to be that lacking if he was trying to get their 70's sound back (well, at least not AS lacking), while as the band definitely intended to go drier in 1983. I don't particularly hate the BB production (I do like it better than TRE production, which I will never be able to put words to why I don't like it), but SUL is when they nailed the sound their late period should have with songs like that. The guitars on BB sound fine to me, but the overall feeling that the album has and the vocals in particular aren't produced well.

I agree on the SUL production being just right. I think it is still dry enough, but with a lot more warmth, which gives it a certain vibe the production of BB lacks.
    • Feb 10th 2019

I love the sound of Ballbreaker, but the vocals needed something, as has been discussed previously on here. Leaving them bone-dry was a step too far. Also the very clean guitars works better on some songs than others.

The title track is a really good, powerful track. Not a MEGA track to my ears, but a very good one. Funny how the song is so popular, everyone's jumped in with a general view without answering the OP's original question about the vocals?

Hard As A Rock, Burnin' Alive, Whiskey On The Rocks....also great songs.
    The Furor is great, to my ears. Also, Boogie Man.
    • Feb 10th 2019 edited

Yep, love Boogie Man. I'd rather hear that to The Jack these days. And The Furor's cool as well, especially enjoy listening with headphones and hearing Mal's icy, precise guitar parts.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Feb 10th 2019

Ballbreaker the track is a absolutely brilliant. Shame about the rest of the album.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Feb 10th 2019

The Only Song that sounds great with that production. Maybe because It was the Only great Song on the album. Best Rubin era Song along with Big Gun
    Posted By: 900Hard As A Rock, Burnin' Alive, Whiskey On The Rocks....also great songs.

Burnin' Alive...also great song.
    Posted By: rideon77Best Rubin era Song along with Big Gun

This man gets it. Too bad they didn't save Big Gun for the BB album instead of wasting it on The Last Action Hero soundtrack. Then during the BB tour, it could have been played live over the boring Boogie Man. Also, Big Gun would have a been superior lead single compared to Limp As A Sock.
    • Feb 10th 2019

Hard as a Cock blows. Worst lyrics ever
    Posted By: rideon77Hard as a Cock blows. Worst lyrics ever

I'm sorry to hear that. It might come better limp.
    • Feb 10th 2019

Posted By: Meanstreak
    Posted By: rideon77Hard as a Cock blows. Worst lyrics ever

I'm sorry to hear that. It might come better limp.
    Musically I like it till the chorus. The chorus ruins it for me. Lyrics are horrible....but yes....CYIO is worse
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Feb 10th 2019 edited

Ballbreaker is a brilliant tune. It's the last time they really went for the throat (no pun) musically speaking. It has a rawness and a brutality they never attempted again after that. For the Youngs standard the lyrics are ok. I think this would have sounded even better with SUL's production. Live it was a definitive highlight on the BB tour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Feb 10th 2019

One thing’s for sure, BB was a time of pure coolness. Angus in Timberlands? Brian’s 90’s shades? Just a couple of casual LEGENDS.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Feb 10th 2019

2:44 till the end. Kicking the living shit out of my balls for sure. Always loved that song. Raw, hard, no prisoners taken.
    The main riff sounds like it was conceived by Malcolm.