To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Feb 8th 2019 edited

I was surprised to find this one YouTube. In a scuzzy rehearsal place in Brighton Michael Schenker practising with former long time drummer and bass player from Scorpions. Singer Doogie White is on a few sections of the recording.

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Feb 8th 2019

Interesting to hear all the riffs in Lovedrive, I've not quite picked all those up previously when Klaus is singing at same time.

I always thought it was a pity when Francis and Herman left, it's always felt like 3/5ths of the classic line-up since, not that I've really followed them the last 25 years.

Christ....rehearsal rooms, no windows...I used to hate all that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 8th 2019

Schenker is a R&R hero with a superb feeling and tone.
    And of course Herman Ze German!

The only German band i ever took seriously
    Posted By: ThankassSchenker is a R&R hero with a superb feeling and tone.
    And of course Herman Ze German!

The only German band i ever took seriously

I am glad he got his shit together. Saw him many times live with UFO at Glasgow Apollo and later on when he was back in UFO shortly before he imploded again. Thankass spot on re tone and feeling. Fuck your Whingy Malmsteens and Steve Vai's
    • Feb 8th 2019 edited

He's a fucking incredible guitar player.

One of my many favourite solos by him (at 2:39 - no idea why URL at current time doesn't work):

Also his current idea touring with his three main singers from the past was a brilliant idea - especially for Graham Bonnet - time heals wounds and all that.
    Listened to Lovedrive for a while. Coast To Coast, great instrumental!
    • Feb 8th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakListened to Lovedrive for a while. Coast To Coast, great instrumental!

Yeah nice track! Amazing how good he already was way back then (and even earlier). The main solo in Loving You Sunday Morning is fantastic (and wrongly credited to Jabs who did the 2nd solo).
    Graham Bonnet apparently cheats with trickery. At Winterstorm in Troon last year his manager handed over backing tracks to sound guy
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Feb 8th 2019

Cracking find Meanie!

Schenker has been a hero of mine since the late ‘70s
    • Feb 8th 2019

Posted By: ianbigmacGraham Bonnet apparently cheats with trickery. At Winterstorm in Troon last year his manager handed over backing tracks to sound guy

Where did you read that? I don't think it's true - you can watch his live stuff on YouTube and it's been pretty similar last few years - brave effort recreating his best era, sometimes coming close, sometimes falling a bit short...
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Feb 12th 2019

Went to see him at a small gig in Liverpool Carling Academy about 8 years ago, he had Chris Glenn and Gary Barden with him and Chris Slade on Drums. Stood at the front, fantastic gig. When you watch schenker up close he makes guitar playing look so easy (esp the solo's); makes it look like like he's playing on elastic bands coated in butter as his bend etc just look so effortless. Got everything by him apart from what he's done in the 2000's, just haven't got round to catching up. Ready to Rock into Attack Of The Mad Axe Man are one of my faves. Again I got into all this stuff from my old man, he used to play that second MSG LP all of the time along with Diver down by Van Halen and Rory Gallaghers Stage Struck, I'm so greatfull that I was brought up on good music. There are moments on Back In Black that Angus reminds me of Schenker like the second half of the Shake a Leg solo were it sounds like he's playing through a half cocked wah pedal which is part of Schenkers tone (I heard he uses one to set his tone and another as for the wah effect). Mick Ronson used to do it aswell to get that nasally tone that he had with Bowie.
    Sorry for the ramble but I've just got say that Chris Slade was awesome at that gig, he is a master of all trades, I understand why he get's some stick here but...…..
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Feb 12th 2019

Posted By: 900Interesting to hear all the riffs in Lovedrive, I've not quite picked all those up previously when Klaus is singing at same time.

I always thought it was a pity when Francis and Herman left, it's always felt like 3/5ths of the classic line-up since, not that I've really followed them the last 25 years.

Posted By: 900Interesting to hear all the riffs in Lovedrive, I've not quite picked all those up previously when Klaus is singing at same time.

I never really got into the Scorpions but Lovedrive is a fantastic tune (even though the lyrics sound like they were penned by the Youngs) and it is indeed fascinating to see and hear how much is going on guitar wise. There's some great riffs there in this song.
    • Feb 12th 2019 edited

Posted By: 71SGThere are moments on Back In Black that Angus reminds me of Schenker like the second half of the Shake a Leg solo were it sounds like he's playing through a half cocked wah pedal which is part of Schenkers tone

Yeah that wah-wah tone is great, something he really stamped his authority on. Always great tones, Schenker. Beautiful, fat tones. (Nice little tale btw).

Posted By: RoccoI never really got into the Scorpions but Lovedrive is a fantastic tune (even though the lyrics sound like they were penned by the Youngs) and it is indeed fascinating to see and hear how much is going on guitar wise. There's some great riffs there in this son

ha ha - funnily enough when I'm irritated by Y&Y lyrics I often think "even the Scorpions write better lyrics and they're not even born with English as native language!"

His playing on Lovedrive reminds me of his work a few years later on Assault Attack. Ironically, although he's one of my all-time favourite players, I only really like that album.
    • Feb 12th 2019

Yeah that wah-wah tone is great, something he really stamped his authority on. Always great tones, Schenker. Beautiful, fat tones. (Nice little tale btw).

Cheers 900, I've tried the half clocked wah trick and even the Schenker set up with two wha's, Got to say that I sounded crap lol.
    • Feb 12th 2019

Ps, there's some clips of that gig on you tube. Liverpool UK 30/5/10
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Feb 13th 2019

Posted By: ianbigmacGraham Bonnet apparently cheats with trickery. At Winterstorm in Troon last year his manager handed over backing tracks to sound guy

I saw Graham Bonnet in Hull late last year . I don't remember thinking or hearing backing tracks. I remember thinking he put a bloody good shift in for somebody of his age .
    @900 and savsav. It was a mate who was friends with the sound guy and he was definitely handed something to use. I will investigate further. But as already says he sounds not bad for a man of his age. Also had an earth shattering vocal like Brian and an early Jimmy Barnes
    This song is one of the best I've heard that he composed.

• Feb 15th 2019

I love that Assault Attack record. A warm, analogue sound, a very nice production, nothing that sounds dated now. Very interesting songs, not really like anything else.
    I really want to hear the music and can't right now. But...

You all have to admit that "Assault Attack" as a title is pure square-headed Spinal Tap. And I love that film and soundtrack, btw.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • 22 hours ago

Some nice pro shot footage of the early days. Good atmosphere:

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI really want to hear the music and can't right now. But...

You all have to admit that "Assault Attack" as a title is pure square-headed Spinal Tap. And I love that film and soundtrack, btw.

Goes well with "Shark Sandwich" wouldn't ya say? :)