To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: Rocker75
    • Feb 3rd 2019 edited

Hi everybody, purely hypothetical but does anybody feel that a residency somewhere would be better than an actual World Tour?

I wonder if the band should actually tour or simply release the album as a final tribute to Malcolm?

I'm just thinking aloud as it were. Any thoughts on this 'tour'?
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Feb 3rd 2019

For the past 20 years or so the tours have got me very excited. The albums, less so.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Feb 3rd 2019

I certainly wouldn't begrudge AC/DC doing a residency. It would have to be easier on them, physically.

But aside from residencies being a bit Elton John, if AC/DC were to do some shows then I expect them to want to take their music to the people, rather than the people coming to them. That's something the band has always prided itself on.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocker75
    • Feb 3rd 2019

Thanks for your ideas.

Perhaps it might be realistic to expect a mini tour this year. I do wonder who could fill in on bass though.
    I would settle for a final one off show with a live feed on-line
    I just don't see them doing another tour.
    Posted By: nimetaFor the past 20 years or so the tours have got me very excited. The albums, less so.

I disagree, but I get it. I feel like there are a lot of people in your camp.
    Posted By: Rocker75Thanks for your ideas.

Perhaps it might be realistic to expect a mini tour this year. I do wonder who could fill in on bass though.

Probably more realistic to expect no live shows at all.

Way too many people here getting ahead of themselves
    •  
    • Feb 4th 2019

Posted By: magpies1990_77
    Posted By: Rocker75Thanks for your ideas.

Probably more realistic to expect no live shows at all.

Way too many people here getting ahead of themselves

Yeah, I remember one poster saying they were cancelling engagements later in the year to keep it open. There could be some egg on the face, there, if a tour fails to materialise.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Feb 4th 2019

JFC
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Feb 4th 2019

Nah. They've already become way too formulaic live, so this would be further down that road - though better than nothing at all, of course.

I wonder is trying to work out what kind of tour they can manage, if at all, is delaying album release plans.

That said, we had Who Made Who released on its own, not quite the same, but I just think most fans would understand if they released a record and said 'sorry guys, not many live dates'.

If it isn't a standard album, then easier to release in this way I guess..
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: TryioToast
    • Feb 4th 2019 edited

I can't see them ever doing a residency - they are a band that gains its respect through constant live shows and the quality of them. Can't see it happening.
    Maybe when Angus is 75.
    The only time they did that was in the summer of 1976 at the Marquee.
    A residency in Sin City would make too much sense, but it'll never happen. It's just not the way the band operates.
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Feb 4th 2019

I doubt they’d do it, but I’d be game. Give me an excuse to go to Vegas, London or wherever they do it for a week and catch a few shows. Easy for all.
    Posted By: MeanstreakThe only time they did that was in the summer of 1976 at the Marquee.

Along with Eddie and The Hotrods I believe they hold the record between them for number of gigs at The Marquee. I could be talking out of my arse mind
    •  
    • Feb 4th 2019

If AC/DC were to do a residency, it would not be in the States. It's a great market for the band, but you seem to get a lot of listless audiences over there, too. For that reason, I suspect it's not their favourite place to play, and I think they would opt for London instead. Maybe they'd like to do one in Sydney, but that's just too far away for anyone to get to.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 4th 2019

We salute you...uhhh...residency!
    • AC/DC rock music: CarwynO
    • Feb 4th 2019 edited

If they did a residency tour, it’ would be no doubt in London. I don’t think it would work in all honesty. Fans would have ticket prices to contend with and then the travelling costs on top of that. I think this would be catering to a specific group of fans, who are in the minority I.e those able to afford flights from the U.S, S. America, Australia, Europe WITH the tickets and hotels on top of that. Like someone else said, you expect them to take the show to people rather than the people going to them. Besides, I don’t see the puropose of one? I’d say the travelling is the least strenuous part of touring given their mode of transport and hotels. Perhaps they quite enjoy the social/leisure aspect of it as well, it doesn’t seem necessary. Either they do a Stones- 15 shows or so, or a huge one off gig that’ll be recorde or no live shows at all. If they want to do 40 or so shows, maybe that’d be possible if they left enough gaps and took a few weeks off half way through.
    Vegas! It makes sense. It’s got so much going for it from band and fans.

Weather is great for days off for the band. Venues are great. No wear and tear from travel.

For fans, it’s Vegas baby! So you see the best band ever and you get some Vegas fun too.

I absolutely loved going to see them there!
    •  
    • Feb 4th 2019

If AC/DC were in residence, who would get them their Cuppa Soups?
    I would hate a residency sort of thing given that I've never seen them and will most likely be unable to just leave the country for a week at random given my age. It's obviously up to them, but I highly doubt they'd do it, anyways.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Feb 5th 2019

I'd say a smaller scale world tour would be perfect for them and as good as the fans could get. Playing 2 shows a week in a few bigger destinations in each continent.
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Feb 5th 2019

The only way Brian can handle a long major tour is by doing the same weird thing as Paul Stanley in KISS does right now.
    But who would like to see and hear that?

https://www.alternat...
    A small to medium sized world tour is certainly possible for AC/DC, especially if managed well and as long as there are plenty of rests between shows. Just don’t expect a huge world tour the size and length of the Black Ice tour.
    • AC/DC rock music: Jassie1997
    • Feb 5th 2019 edited

Simple. If all band members can pull it off, a tour. If not, just an album. I agree their tours are always very exciting and in recent years, maybe more so than some albums. But I wouldn't like to see someone having to fill in on the tour again this time (apart from Stevie of course and Slade if nescessary). At this point I'm happy just that they will release another album.
    Along with Eddie and The Hotrods I believe they hold the record between them for number of gigs at The Marquee. I could be talking out of my arse mind

AC/DC played the marquee about a dozen times all in 1976. Marillion played in over 20 times from 1981 onwards. Im sure there will be bands thats played it even more than marillion. At a guess id probably say one of englands blues bands played it the most. Possibly the yardbirds