To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

So I was just listening to this killer track and then I thought this is the only AC/DC track that has the verse on 3 different vocal pitches. It keeps going higher and higher until the chorus:

1:29 I'm a rolling thunder....

1:45 Won´t take no prisoners.... <--- higher.

1:53 I got my bell.... <--- even higher.

So it's 3 times, I can't, out of my head, think of any other DC track that does the same. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe something off FTATR, please leave your comments. Also, is this why this fucking killer song belongs in RNR Olympus, and why Brian deserves to be regarded as a RNR God?

Happy weekend, folks.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Feb 1st 2019

I love that about the vocals as well, legendary singing!

Meltdown kind of keeps going up as well.
    yea I can only think of Snowballed* as another song that has the vocals going higher 2 times after the starting pitch, but it's more subtle and I'm not even sure.

So I guess Hells Bells is unique that way!

*Just listened to it after a while and what a cracker of a cut!
    Posted By: 900I love that about the vocals as well, legendary singing!

Meltdown kind of keeps going up as well.

Yeah but his voice is shot to fuck. Vocals 80-83 just insane
    • Feb 2nd 2019

Posted By: ianbigmacYeah but his voice is shot to fuck. Vocals 80-83 just insane

Sounds fine to my ears, fucking excellent vocal performance. Obviously not the same voice as on Hells Bells, we all know that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Feb 2nd 2019

This song is all about The Rudd at the end of the solo. Brian does ok.
    Posted By: JemBrian does ok.
    You surprise me once again.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Feb 2nd 2019

Posted By: JemThis song is all about The Rudd at the end of the solo. Brian does ok.
    You make me smile Jem.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Feb 2nd 2019

I’M ROLLING THUNDER POURING RAIN

I fucking love this song
    •  
    • Feb 2nd 2019 edited

Posted By: Big Rab
    Posted By: JemThis song is all about The Rudd at the end of the solo. Brian does ok.
    You make me smile Jem.

Glad you enjoyed it sir :)

Although to be honest the end of the solo is fucking awesome.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Feb 2nd 2019

An absolute killer track. Imagine hearing this one upon release back in 1980 anxious to hear the new singer. And then after 1,5 minutes or so into the song Brian comes in like a fucking demon. With probably the best opening lines ever in a song: I'm rolling thunder/I'm pouring rain/I'm coming on like a hurricane.
    • Feb 2nd 2019

Nailed it, Rocco - I'm always thinking this and was going to post same thing!
    Posted By: RoccoAn absolute killer track. Imagine hearing this one upon release back in 1980 anxious to hear the new singer. And then after 1,5 minutes or so into the song Brian comes in like a fucking demon. With probably the best opening lines ever in a song: I'm rolling thunder/I'm pouring rain/I'm coming on like a hurricane.

I was that 19 year old. Me n my mates huddled round my Garrard turntable. It was when STT followed I just knew everything was gonna be fine
    Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: RoccoAn absolute killer track. Imagine hearing this one upon release back in 1980 anxious to hear the new singer. And then after 1,5 minutes or so into the song Brian comes in like a fucking demon. With probably the best opening lines ever in a song: I'm rolling thunder/I'm pouring rain/I'm coming on like a hurricane.

I was that 19 year old. Me n my mates huddled round my Garrard turntable. It was when STT followed I just knew everything was gonna be fine
    Glad to read something like this. I know many would be skeptical about a new singer, but hopefully most were blown away by what they heard in BIB. Hells Bells and STT is probably the greatest 1,2 combo in the history of rock music. Right off the bat, you're hit with two of their greatest songs.
    • Feb 2nd 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinHells Bells and STT is probably the greatest 1,2 combo in the history of rock music. Right off the bat, you're hit with two of their greatest songs.

I think you might be right there, Penguin. Just.....BANG.
    Upside to Brian’s “shot vocals” era (from BB on for me) is that there was so much more personality in his voice. Since he got a lot of power back around Black Ice, it’s been the perfect middle ground.
    •  
    • Feb 2nd 2019

Posted By: RoccoWith probably the best opening lines ever in a song: I'm rolling thunder/I'm pouring rain/I'm coming on like a hurricane.

Love the confidence from Brian in those opening lines.
    I’m here. I’m the man for the job. And just wait to hear what I can do.
    What an intro.
    Monster song. In the song poll last year I seriously considered this could be number one for me. Though I knew it would never get the votes because most of the voters prefer rock n roll over heavy rock or metal and this is a crushingly heavy song.

Hey man, how are doing?

Superb song. Love the story on how Brian came up with the lyrics.
    •  
    • Feb 5th 2019

Posted By: CliffFINmark2

Hey man, how are doing?

Evening, I’m good thanks. Hope you are well.

Keep that K@*# filth off the site.
    Posted By: Jem
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2

Hey man, how are doing?

Evening, I’m good thanks. Hope you are well.

Keep that K@*# filth off the site.

I am fine. That thread was not really related to KISS more to the awful concept of lipsyncin...especially in RnR, pukey stuff.

I am good. Have a great evening as well.
    I teach this song a lot in my guitar lessons during my week . Not only a great song the hybrid picking in the solo is cool to teach as well, gets people picking a lil different.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 6th 2019

Brian’s greatest ever lyrics and performance - a vast, weather-beaten monster of a song that moves up through the gears with effortless power and drive. Not just the best song on BIB but their best Brian-era song period. I love every fucking cinematic second of it.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonBrian’s greatest ever lyrics and performance - a vast, weather-beaten monster of a song that moves up through the gears with effortless power and drive. Not just the best song on BIB but their best Brian-era song period. I love every fucking cinematic second of it.

Many will say you're wrong — that Shoot or the title track are better — but you may have a great point. Again, it reveals the bias here towards "rock n roll" AC/DC when Hells Bells is definitely heavy rock. It could be the closest they've ever gotten to metal. And if it isn't metal, it is still as huge, heavy and evil as any metal song.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto
    Posted By: Alex LebanonBrian’s greatest ever lyrics and performance - a vast, weather-beaten monster of a song that moves up through the gears with effortless power and drive. Not just the best song on BIB but their best Brian-era song period. I love every fucking cinematic second of it.

Many will say you're wrong — that Shoot or the title track are better — but you may have a great point. Again, it reveals the bias here towards "rock n roll" AC/DC when Hells Bells is definitely heavy rock. It could be the closest they've ever gotten to metal. And if it isn't metal, it is still as huge, heavy and evil as any metal song.
    Very true - ACDC is a rock n roll band, but BIB (album) is definitely the closest they’ve gotten to heavy rock/metal. That’s what makes the album so epic and climactic. However, It’s still less, for lack of a better word, “metallic” than metal at the time, I feel, such as Ozzy and Maiden (although both of them were just starting out in 1980, record-wise). ACDC never lost that rock n roll vibe to them no matter how hard they got.

Is it Brian’s greatest song? Possibly. There’s so much to chose from.
    •  
    • Feb 7th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

Is it Brian’s greatest song? Possibly. There’s so much to chose from.

I often go back and forth on this subject. Back in Black? Shoot to Thrill? For Those About To Rock? Guns for fucking Hire?

And then, after a minute or so of listening to the bell ring and Angus’ opening riffs, I hear “I’m rolling thunder, pouring rain I’m coming on like a hurricane” and that’s that!!
    Closest they ever got to metal is most of FTATR and much of FOTS, FOTW, and the RE title track! That stuff IS metal!
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostClosest they ever got to metal is most of FTATR and much of FOTS, FOTW, and the RE title track! That stuff IS metal!

Heavier rock yes

not metal. Metallica is metal
    Something like Evil Walks, Spellbound, Playing With Girls, Guns For Hire, Back In Business are heavier than some actual, certified metal!