To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

https://www.perthnow...

"I know I'm pretty slack when it comes to letters & phone calls but I'm always travelling or drunk or hungover or... or... today I'm shaking so much I can hardly write..."

Pretty sad read based on what's written.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jan 28th 2019

•  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Jan 28th 2019

Speaks of "Phil" seeing a shrink following a nervous breakdown.
    •  
    • Jan 28th 2019

And If You Want Blood maybe being released on red vinyl.
    Posted By: bonlivesSpeaks of "Phil" seeing a shrink following a nervous breakdown.

I know it’s been established via books that Phil would be required to see therapists on the road, but the letter seems to show evidence of it making Bon uneasy.

“He got over it quickly enough to not upset the band”. Jesus.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 28th 2019

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: bonlivesSpeaks of "Phil" seeing a shrink following a nervous breakdown.

I know it’s been established via books that Phil would be required to see therapists on the road, but the letter seems to show evidence of it making Bon uneasy.

“He got over it quickly enough to not upset the band”. Jesus.

Must have been bad. We're talking about the 70s here when the idea of going to see a therapist would have been pretty new, especially for some lads in a rock and roll band whose idea of dealing with one's problems would have been to drink more and stop being a sissy.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Jan 28th 2019

Blimey sounds like Phil was struggling but maybe the band were not understanding.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jan 28th 2019

Posted By: Big RabBlimey sounds like Phil was struggling but maybe the band were not understanding.

Well he was still in the band. Have to be careful to not view this through a 2019 lens where everyone knows a whole lot more about mental health issues than a bunch of 20-something, Scottish born, hard living Aussies in the 1970's would ever have done.
    Any idea or estimate to the value of this ?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 28th 2019

Posted By: Overdose69Any idea or estimate to the value of this ?

Anybody who says they know it, is lying.
    Posted By: Ron
    Posted By: Big RabBlimey sounds like Phil was struggling but maybe the band were not understanding.

Well he was still in the band. Have to be careful to not view this through a 2019 lens where everyone knows a whole lot more about mental health issues than a bunch of 20-something, Scottish born, hard living Aussies in the 1970's would ever have done.

Even Bon was uncomfortable with how the Young’s treated Phil’s mental health.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 28th 2019

Valarie (which according to Bon's grave stone is the correct spelling) is not Bon's sister. She's Bon's sister in law since she is married to his brother Derek.
    • Jan 28th 2019

Interesting to know that they re-recorded the vocals for IYWB.
    • Jan 28th 2019

Anybody know who this Doug guy is, Bon is writing about? Must be a drummer since Bon asked him to fill in for Phil.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jan 28th 2019

Posted By: RoccoInteresting to know that they re-recorded the vocals for IYWB.

Other than WLR I don't think any of these vocals Bon said he re-recorded were used on that album. The songs that are featured in the film have exactly the same tracks, can't be 100% sure about those that aren't but there's a pretty obvious difference between the vocals on WLR and everything else on the album. It sounds like a studio performance.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jan 28th 2019

“With AC/DC, if you’ve got a problem, you sort it out yourself,”

Phil Rudd - Rolling Stone (August 10, 2015)
    •  
    • Jan 28th 2019

Posted By: Grim177

“With AC/DC, if you’ve got a problem, you sort it out yourself,”

Phil Rudd - Rolling Stone (August 10, 2015)

AC/DC is a train. A Rock n Roll Train. But it doesn't intend to run right off the tracks. When it pulls out of the station you better be on board. If you fall off the train, it keeps speeding along. You have to get up and chase after it. Otherwise, it will speed on over the horizon unsympathetically.
    • Jan 29th 2019

About $6000.

Personally I would pay about half of that for something like this. Anyway I'd be scared about the "trouble and strife" throwing them out, like she did with my cardboard guitar from the TTWIWRR video shoot at the NEC and also 2 Deep Purple drumsticks that I caught in the crowd at 2 separate concerts (1 in Russia, where I almost got killed fighting for it lol)
    •  
    • Jan 29th 2019

Posted By: nimeta

About $6000.

Personally I would pay about half of that for something like this. Anyway I'd be scared about the "trouble and strife" throwing them out, like she did with my cardboard guitar from the TTWIWRR video shoot at the NEC and also 2 Deep Purple drumsticks that I caught in the crowd at 2 separate concerts (1 in Russia, where I almost got killed fighting for it lol)
    Why do that? Or why do that without first asking? That's just spite, plain and simple.
    Posted By: nimeta

About $6000.

That’s the one of the reasons my favourite items are locked away in various locations.

It’s not just fire and theft but family members!!

I wonder if anyone will bid on this item at this starting price?
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Jan 29th 2019

Posted By: bonlivesAnd If You Want Blood maybe being released on red vinyl.

He writes that he prefers platinum vinyl over red, and I'm guessing that resulted in the Dutch splatter vinyl.
    • Jan 29th 2019

Why do that? Or why do that without first asking? That's just spite, plain and simple.

She has OCD and compulsively cleans and tidy and throws out junk. She didn't think to ask why I had a great big cardboard guitar. And she didn't know the true story of the drumsticks cos I was at the concert in Russia with our super hot Russian nanny. So to her, to was just a drumstick.
    I just read the article on Rolling Stone before I came onto this forum.
    https://www.rollings...
    Bon sounds overworked & exhausted which can make anyone feel like shit. Negatives aside he does speak of some positives and still seems to be enjoying being in the band. The poor fella is just totally drained of energy. It’s certainly a very raw and real outpouring of emotion in that letter. How about Phil’s nervous breakdown. The lads must have just been flogging themselves and pushing themselves to the very edge back in those early days. Much respect to them all for the hard work and sacrifices they endured.
    It says the auction starts at $6000. I’m guessing that’s $6000 US dollars?
    • Jan 29th 2019

I wonder why she puts it up for auction if it really is Bon's sister in law who's selling it. She should be part of Bon's estate and shouldn't have any financial need to sell it.
    Yes I do wonder why the letter is being sold. Especially being such a personal letter that Bon would have only ever intended for his sister in-law Valarie to have read. Of course it’s being sold to make money but it’s such a private moment and private letter to another person, it’s a little sad to see it being auctioned off to the highest bidder.
    Posted By: RoccoAnybody know who this Doug guy is, Bon is writing about? Must be a drummer since Bon asked him to fill in for Phil.

Doug Lavery from the Valentines?
    Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCat
    Posted By: RoccoAnybody know who this Doug guy is, Bon is writing about? Must be a drummer since Bon asked him to fill in for Phil.

Doug Lavery from the Valentines?

Yep it’s a good chance that’s who Bon is talking about.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 29th 2019

Poor Phil.
    Intriguing comment about IYWB. I wonder what other songs on it have "fake" vocals
    Posted By: RoccoI wonder why she puts it up for auction if it really is Bon's sister in law who's selling it. She should be part of Bon's estate and shouldn't have any financial need to sell it.

Perhaps the kids/grandkids are selling it.
    •  
    • Jan 29th 2019

Posted By: mkberg
    Posted By: bonlivesAnd If You Want Blood maybe being released on red vinyl.

He writes that he prefers platinum vinyl over red, and I'm guessing that resulted in the Dutch splatter vinyl.

I'm pretty sure he was making a joke that he'd rather have a platinum record, meaning over 1,000,000 sold.
    •  
    • Jan 29th 2019 edited

Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    It says the auction starts at $6000. I’m guessing that’s $6000 US dollars?

If you look at the link to the auction in the second post, it's shows the starting bid at $6,500 (I guess nimeta is out of luck), and yes, that's US. The auction company is in Los Angeles.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Jan 30th 2019 edited

Posted By: RoccoValarie (which according to Bon's grave stone is the correct spelling) is not Bon's sister. She's Bon's sister in law since she is married to his brother Derek.

You are correct. I had assumed she was his sister because she was on the grave marker but I messaged Irene, Bons ex wife, and she confirmed she is Derek’s wife. I’d post a copy of the screen shot from our convo is I knew how to. Lol.

Is it weird that he called her baby? I’m american and maybe it’s just normal in Europe or Australia. Here it would be kinda weird to write you SIL and call her baby. Lol
    •  
    • Jan 30th 2019

Bon sounds tired but I am sue they all were tired. I don’t think the youngs were doing any less than he was. Hi k about Ang running around every night like he did back then. It’s just the price you pay making it in a band I guess. It’s a long way to the top, if you want to rock n roll. Lol.
    I remember seeing an interview where Angus or Malcolm or maybe both said they never really made a real profit until after BIB. Such a shame that Bon didn’t get to see their efforts pay off. His family did though.

And you never know, maybe he was just afraid his family was going to ask him for money. Lmao. <— That’s a joke.
    •  
    • Jan 30th 2019 edited

Kinda sucks for Phil for that letter to get out.
    •  
    • Jan 31st 2019 edited

Posted By: andersonct

Well there you go. Now we know the value. Don't forget to add the auction fees though. 25%. Wow.

Current Bidding
    Minimum Bid: $6,500
    Final prices include buyers premium.: $9,831
    Number Bids: 2

Auction closed on Thursday, January 31, 2019.

CONDITIONS OF SALE FOR AUCTION

The following constitutes the entire terms and conditions on which property listed in the catalogue shall be offered for sale or sold by Nate D. Sanders, Inc. and any consignor of such property for whom we act as agent.

1. Bid Price. As used herein the term "bid price" means the price at which a lot is knocked down to the purchaser and the term "purchase price" means the aggregate of (a) the bid price, (b) a buyer's premium payable by the purchaser of twenty-five percent (25%) on the first $200,000, plus twenty percent (20%) of any amount between $200,000 and $2,000,000, plus twelve percent (12%) of any amount over $2,000,000 per lot of the bid price and (c) any applicable sales tax.
    • AC/DC rock music: Overdose69
    • Jan 31st 2019 edited

Plus import tax under WTO rules and an auction house like that won’t down value the parcel like a private seller might so will end up costing about €10000 to any EU buyer.

Not worth it in my opinion
    Can you imagine how unreal Bon would have thought this was if it came to his awareness?
    •  
    • Feb 1st 2019

Posted By: BrennaBKinda sucks for Phil for that letter to get out.

It was probably wrong for Bon to divulge that kind of sensitive information about another person, but he presumably thought what he wrote would be held in confidence, which it was. However, that did lead to some of its contents being divulged some 40 years later.
    Posted By: Briany

It was probably wrong for Bon to divulge that kind of sensitive information about another person, but he presumably thought what he wrote would be held in confidence, which it was. However, that did lead to some of its contents being divulged some 40 years later.

Yeah how in the hell would Bon ever think for a second when writing that letter that if he died anytime soon that another 40 years later someone would auction off the letter for almost $10,000 USD, a letter that was suppose to be a private & confidential letter.
    •  
    • Feb 1st 2019

Posted By: Brads AC/DCYeah how in the hell would Bon ever think for a second when writing that letter that if he died anytime soon that another 40 years later someone would auction off the letter for almost $10,000 USD, a letter that was suppose to be a private & confidential letter.

Or that the internet would exist to where transfer of information would be instantaneous.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Feb 2nd 2019

Posted By: Briany

Kind of an interesting point about the letters divulging personal information but a letter is simply a private conversation between two people. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone whose initial reaction was that Bon probably shouldn't have disclosed the info about Phil to a non-member of the band thinks the same about the contents of books about the band.
    Posted By: BrennaB
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCYeah how in the hell would Bon ever think for a second when writing that letter that if he died anytime soon that another 40 years later someone would auction off the letter for almost $10,000 USD, a letter that was suppose to be a private & confidential letter.

Or that the internet would exist to where transfer of information would be instantaneous.

Yes, exactly. It’s a crazy world now with how easily info can be shared around the world in seconds with just a click of a button. Bon could never have imagined it.
    •  
    • Feb 3rd 2019

Has the knowledge of this hyper-connected world stopped people from sharing personal information? Rhetorical question.
    • Feb 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: InfernoHas the knowledge of this hyper-connected world stopped people from sharing personal information? Rhetorical question.

I think so. I once said to Brian "you know what, with the internet, you only have to fart these days and the world hears it before you even smell it!" I loved his reply "The internet's full of bullshit. You've just gotta be careful you don't step in it!" Which was a great way of saying "Don't believe everything you read!"
    •  
    • Feb 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Goulash
    Posted By: InfernoHas the knowledge of this hyper-connected world stopped people from sharing personal information? Rhetorical question.

I think so. I once said to Brian "you know what, with the internet, you only have to fart these days and the world hears it before you even smell it!" I loved his reply "The internet's full of bullshit. You've just gotta be careful you don't step in it!" Which was a great way of saying "Don't believe everything you read!"

That has nothing to do with what I said. Of course the internet is full of bullshit.

We are talking about sharing personal information. Everyone in the world by now knows that nothing is truly private. Send an email or a text or a tweet, and it's basically captured forever. Yet everyday there is someone sending out personal (even intimate) information about themselves or someone else.
    • Feb 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: Goulash

That has nothing to do with what I said. Of course the internet is full of bullshit.

We are talking about sharing personal information. Everyone in the world by now knows that nothing is truly private. Send an email or a text or a tweet, and it's basically captured forever. Yet everyday there is someone sending out personal (even intimate) information about themselves or someone else.

I agree. I'm just saying that I for one am ultra careful about what I share since the internet now means that intimate conversations can come back to bite us on the arse. Other people are social media whores that crave the instant gratification of sharing what may potentially be best kept private.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Feb 3rd 2019

Hard to think of them as pretty much living paycheck to paycheck back then. Absolutely wild.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Feb 3rd 2019

yeah, the internet is great, a throwaway comment from some death metal bands facebook post regarding meeting brian johnson can make headlines around the world
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Mar 25th 2019 edited

Former AC/DC frontman Bon Scott’s tour letter bought at auction by WA Government for $14,000
    https://thewest.com....

Well done by the WA government, but a major fail to the journo referring to Valerie as Bon's former girlfriend.