To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Nothing especially original about it but it has a no-holds barred energy I just never tire of - easily my favourite track on TRE, including TS (although that just may be the old 'familiarity breeds contempt' adage in action). Not sure why they didn't write more songs in this vein latterly - both BB and SUL could've done with an SOL shot in the arm.

For some reason the original is not on YouTube but no matter...

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 12th 2019

The combination of bass and guitars gives it a HTH flavour. There’s a little of GIH to it in terms of how it motors along. Better song obviously and certainly in with a shout for best song on TRE.
    This actually popped up on my playlist yesterday afternoon and I was actually thinking much the same as you , love it , Angus with a few pre solo licks thrown in .Im buggered if I know why Fly is paraded as an under appreciated album and talked about consistently when TRE blows it out of the water IMO
    Disclaimer-comments made are in no way meant to upset or raise the ire of Carlos .I come in peace.
    •  
    • Jan 12th 2019

There are clunking moments. I think that is what gets TRE some grief.
    • AC/DC rock music: pivaro
    • Jan 12th 2019

There is no song in the world better to get yourself a speeding ticket .
    Love it , i'm not saying it's their best , but it's my number one .
    Always liked this one. It´s like Two´s up, another sleeper. But that one is better.
    Posted By: Shakin a legThis actually popped up on my playlist yesterday afternoon and I was actually thinking much the same as you , love it , Angus with a few pre solo licks thrown in .Im buggered if I know why Fly is paraded as an under appreciated album and talked about consistently when TRE blows it out of the water IMO
    Disclaimer-comments made are in no way meant to upset or raise the ire of Carlos .I come in peace.

Fly is sequenced better in that some of its best tracks (Playing With Girls, Stand Up, Back In Business, Send For The Man) are on side 2. For me, (even though I still love it) TRE is where they annoyingly started “front stacking” their albums. As in putting all the good ones right there at the front.
    Good song. Never considered it one of the "later-era" best but perhaps you have a point.

The asinine lyrics drag it down.
    Come on now honey we'll get full of desire
    A humpin' an' a pumpin' 'til we start a fire

this is almost "her hot potatoes will elevate you" bad.
    Very much one of the best later era tunes. One song that Slade shines on I must say, his style doesn't sound so mechanical on this one. The song does have a Highway sounding vibe, and man does Brian sound great.

Love the solos here as well. Underrated track.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 13th 2019

The only song on TRE with a R&R vibe.
    Top 3 on TRE.

Indeed very little SOL like songs after TRE.
    Only BB, Give It Up and Wheels are in the near.
    Posted By: ThankassThe only song on TRE with a R&R vibe.
    Top 3 on TRE.

I would throw Spoilin' For A Fight in with SOL as an unsung later era gem.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 13th 2019

A very cool song, great tempo, superb vocals...

Not an all-out *amazing* song, but it's a really good one.
    •  
    • Jan 13th 2019

Posted By: nitroangus23
    Posted By: ThankassThe only song on TRE with a R&R vibe.
    Top 3 on TRE.

I would throw Spoilin' For A Fight in with SOL as an unsung later era gem.
    Yep. Good call. Spoilin' is a barnstormer.
    Love that song. Great effort by the house band too!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Jan 13th 2019

Great tune, love it !!!
    I love the whole album. The drums aren't lazy or laid back. They're driving on this album, very much like Frank Beard's style. This is the style that I prefer and I thought it gave AC/DC a ballsy new edge to their sound that hadn't really been present before.
    I love this song, I really do. If they'd had this knocking around during the HTH sessions it could well have ended up on that album. However, its an anomaly as far as TRE is concerned. Its head and shoulders above anything else apart from Thunderstruck. My problem with TRE is that side 2, bar Shot of Love has to go down as some of the worst dog shit that AC/DC has ever produced. It plods along with no drive, no obvious direction, no fire, no nothing - album filler of the highest degree. Fucking terrible.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoCome on now honey we'll get full of desire

Says the guy whose fav album includes the lyric "some like it hot... some lime it quite not so hot" :)
    Posted By: carlos fandangoI love this song, I really do. If they'd had this knocking around during the HTH sessions it could well have ended up on that album. However, its an anomaly as far as TRE is concerned. Its head and shoulders above anything else apart from Thunderstruck. My problem with TRE is that side 2, bar Shot of Love has to go down as some of the worst dog shit that AC/DC has ever produced. It plods along with no drive, no obvious direction, no fire, no nothing - album filler of the highest degree. Fucking terrible.

C'mon Carlos, how can you not enjoy Are Your Ready? Yes, the lyrics are a bit naff (like our friend 900 would say), but if fucking ROCKS. And Got You By The Balls is criminally underrated in these parts. Immense groove and great backing vox!
    "Hang it left, hang it right,
    Got you by the balls
    Got your shorts, got your curlies
    Got you by the balls"

I'll give you the last 3 on TRE though. Pure filler. They're just underdeveloped compared to the rest of the album.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: carlos fandangoI love this song, I really do. If they'd had this knocking around during the HTH sessions it could well have ended up on that album. However, its an anomaly as far as TRE is concerned. Its head and shoulders above anything else apart from Thunderstruck. My problem with TRE is that side 2, bar Shot of Love has to go down as some of the worst dog shit that AC/DC has ever produced. It plods along with no drive, no obvious direction, no fire, no nothing - album filler of the highest degree. Fucking terrible.

C'mon Carlos, how can you not enjoy Are Your Ready? Yes, the lyrics are a bit naff (like our friend 900 would say), but if fucking ROCKS. And Got You By The Balls is criminally underrated in these parts. Immense groove and great backing vox!
    Got you by the balls
    Got you by the balls"

I'll give you the last 3 on TRE though. Pure filler. They're just underdeveloped compared to the rest of the album.

there's a reason why GYBTB its underrated in these parts - its shite

I almost reconsidered about Are you Ready last summer when it was being used to flog bottles of sugary tooth rot during the World Cup, but then England got knocked out in the semi final and it fell flat like a half opened bottle of coke left in the sun for 10 hours.
    If GYBTB was on Ballbreaker it would be a Top 3 track.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permIf GYBTB was on Ballbreaker it would be a Top 3 track.

top 4
    Posted By: carlos fandango
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permIf GYBTB was on Ballbreaker it would be a Top 3 track.

top 4

True. I forgot about Cover You In Oil.
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permhow can you not enjoy Are Your Ready? Yes, the lyrics are a bit naff (like our friend 900 would say)

BoL... Yeah a bit naff but it's a good song. A bit 'caveman' with the song title and all that, but it rocks out. Great guitars, great vocals, really cool.

GYBTB I found a little dull at first, but I like it now. Goodbye and Good Riddance is great, and for me I enjoy the whole of side 2, because unlike many people, I enjoy Let's Make It and If You Dare.

That interlude bit on GYBTB Carlos mentioned though - so embarrassing.

All in all, I'd only skip Rock Your Heart Out.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

Half of TRE is easily disposable. I'm not a huge fan of the production, either; it's almost like they were trying to remake HTH, but missed the mark. And really... that was the best take of Brian singing Thunderstruck? Ugh...

That said, Shot of Love comes along like a breath of fresh air on side 2. Too bad it's followed up by 3 of the worst songs they've recorded.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

Got you by the balls
    Got you by the balls"

GYBTB has immense groove?? That's almost an insult to Phil. It's, together with Let's Make It, the most robotic song on the whole of TRE. And music wise it''s just as lame a filler as Sweet Candy or Damned
    Sweet Candy is not filler. I'm afraid Thankass is in urgent need of medical attention. It would seem his ears are severely plugged by a huge wax buildup.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permSweet Candy is not filler. I'm afraid Thankass is in urgent need of medical attention. It would seem his ears are severely plugged by a huge wax buildup.
    Well, i just had a medical check up with my doctor and he told me: I have developed a new hearing test. I'll play Rock or Bust by ac/dc, do you know them? There is a song on it called Sweet Candy. If my clients respond with pure joy i'll immediately give them the phone number of one of my peers, Mr Ambrose. He seems to build state of the art hearing devices. Poor souls.
    Shot of Love is one cool song. A real solid song and one of the best from that album.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permSweet Candy is not filler. I'm afraid Thankass is in urgent need of medical attention. It would seem his ears are severely plugged by a huge wax buildup.
    Well, i just had a medical check up with my doctor and he told me: I have developed a new hearing test. I'll play Rock or Bust by ac/dc, do you know them? There is a song on it called Sweet Candy. If my clients respond with pure joy i'll immediately give them the phone number of one of my peers, Mr Ambrose. He seems to build state of the art hearing devices. Poor souls.

I listened to Sweet Candy one time and got diabetes.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

^ Did you Use Your Insulin 1&2?
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

There should be a campaign to get the TRE tracks redone with The Rudd. Even the tracks I think are a bit naff would improve immeasurably.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Jan 14th 2019

Really good song, shame it’s followed by Lets Make it
    Posted By: SHOO23Lthat was the best take of Brian singing Thunderstruck? Ugh...

There's nothing wrong with the take, or the takes, actually. It's 1990 Brian at his best.
    Posted By: SHOO23L

Says the guy whose fav album includes the lyric "some like it hot... some lime it quite not so hot" :)

The some like it hot line isn't great but I don't see it as rotten: he's merely pointing out people have different appetites.

But a couplet from the First Blood chorus beats any in Shot of Love:

I want first blood, a look in the eye
    Thirst blood, a need in disguise

I think that's pretty good and rhyming "first blood" with "thirst blood" is fucking smart.
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoThe some like it hot line isn't great

It IS great, don't be shamed into down-grading it just because someone else jokes about it. Actually to compare that line to one of the Y&Y bad lines...it's kind of ironic, misses the whole point of Brian's turn of phrase, and the difference between his writing and Y&Y's.
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: BallToucher

There's nothing wrong with the take, or the takes, actually. It's 1990 Brian at his best.

Certainly fuck-all wrong with it, even though the Donington version smashes it out of the park. The type of reverb used seemed an odd choice.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: Thankass^ Did you Use Your Insulin 1&2?

It gave me both kinds of diabetes, so yes.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jan 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: 900

Certainly fuck-all wrong with it, even though the Donington version smashes it out of the park. The type of reverb used seemed an odd choice.

The studio version sounds very good with big speakers/Public Address system, on high volume.
    A bit overrated on this forum, TS, AYR, Title Track and FYG are better though.
    Posted By: JemThere should be a campaign to get the TRE tracks redone with The Rudd. Even the tracks I think are a bit naff would improve immeasurably.

I'd rather have FOTW
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakThe studio version sounds very good with big speakers/Public Address system, on high volume.

True that it does need volume to make it come alive. It sounded immense at the video shoot...I was a bit dismayed when I first heard it at home, it wasn't how I remembered it.

Some albums manage to make the sound "noisy" even when played not all that loud. TRE isn't one of them.

I love it. The way it smacks into the intro reminds me at times of Deep In The Hole. Love how the riffs jam and the solo is cool. I get the chorus kills it for people but I dig it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Jan 14th 2019

Fake news
    •  
    • Jan 15th 2019

Posted By: AngusRudd1019
    Posted By: JemThere should be a campaign to get the TRE tracks redone with The Rudd. Even the tracks I think are a bit naff would improve immeasurably.

I'd rather have FOTW

Let's just complete the whole set! :)
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2019

Posted By: 900

That's my point: The studio take should be his absolute best, and it's far from it. He's hoarse by the 3rd line, and it's nowhere close to what he's capable of.
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2019

Posted By: AngusRudd1019

I'd rather have FOTW

Agreed. It would force them to remix it, too... for which I would happily volunteer my time!
    • Jan 17th 2019

Posted By: SHOO23L

That's my point: The studio take should be his absolute best, and it's far from it. He's hoarse by the 3rd line, and it's nowhere close to what he's capable of.

I think his voice got more powerful during the tour though - I like the album version but honestly don't think he could have done it like Donington at that point. That was epic.

Oh, come on, it's hip with the old guys!