To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Thunderstruck maybe
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • 7 days ago

November Rain
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Viking
    • 7 days ago

It`s so easy
    Thunderstruck, HAABPTB,IYWB, FTATR,STT,HB are really good
    Posted By: ToonarmysaluteyouThunderstruck maybe

Definitely Thunderstruck, and maybe Rock or Bust. He also did a nice job on Riff Raff, and Rock N Roll Damnation. However, Brian doesn't sing those, so we can't really compare.

Whole Lotta Rosie was another good one.

Edit: I forgot to mention the chorus in Back In Black. Brian still beats him on the verses though.
    I wouldn’t say he performed anything better, but I was surprised how good he was on songs like Shoot to Thrill, If you want blood, live wire, high voltage. I thought the Euro leg he was excellent on the Brian material and ok on the Bon stuff, but by the end of the NA leg I thought he was phenomenal on Bon material. But you can’t say he was better at anything, he was a great fill in though
    Yeah ROB rocked harder in standard and he performed It great
    Posted By: rideon77Thunderstruck, HAABPTB,IYWB, FTATR,STT,HB are really good

Can't believe I forgot IYWB and HB. Axl was outstanding on those. Not a fan of the way he sings (more like screams) STT (especially the chorus), and I still prefer Brian's version of HAABPTB's over Axl's. Not that Axl's was bad or anything, but Brian's HAABPTB's might be one of his better Bon songs (along with DDDDC and TNT).
    • AC/DC rock music: Gavin82
    • 7 days ago

He did good for the little time he had from BJ pulling out too May 7th Liiiiiiiiiiiiisbon
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • 7 days ago

I think he he did a great job on pretty much all of the songs, put his own spin on them without loosing the vibe of the originals. Had my head in my hands when the news broke that he was joining but I was surprised at how well he did. If I had to pick my faves I’d say ROB and IYWB
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • 7 days ago

Technically he did an incredible job with songs like Thunderstruck and Hells Bells. But is that really the point though? You could get someone up there doing Angus' solos technically better as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • 7 days ago edited

I wouldn't put the word "better" in the title because i don't want to compare it to either Bon or Brian. Both made the songs their own.
    What you could say is that the songs from BIB, TS, FTATR and IYWB suited Axl's way of high pitched screaming.

It's more a thing of personal preference imo.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • 7 days ago

Agree with 900 about technical ability. Always loved the rough edges when live, like page with Zeppelin, great on record, can be quite rough live. Always inspired me as a guitarist because I realised from a lot of true live or bootleg recordings that you don’t have to be perfect to be great. (I am I no way trying to compare my abilities to the great imperfect guitarist such as Page, Hendrix, Angus etc lol) Hopefully we’ll never be on the position where somebody replaces Angus, but never thought that would happen with Mal and Brian. Just thought it was quite refreshing to hear the songs sung technically well by Axl but would obviously preferred Brian to have been up there warts an all.
    I’ve seen it said that Axl just screams some of the songs, but I think it’s fair to point out that that was his interpretation of how Bon or Brian sing certain songs. Not many gnr songs are screamers so for Axl I think he had to figure out how to take it up a notch and not get pitchy or sound like a drunk karaoke singer.

I respect the fact that Axl did his homework, studied the material, and put in the work to give ACDC his best effort.
    I bet, if given the opportunity, Brian would have absolutely nailed Big Balls, just like he nailed The Jack.
    • AC/DC rock music: S4U3R
    • 7 days ago

The overall energy was higher which is why I enjoyed the shows with Axl probably more than the 2015 shows, if I had to pick one song it would probably be STT, he really owned it, but Thunderstruck and FTATR were great as well
    I know this comment won't be popular, but I don't give a fuck. At one stage as a fan, I even preferred Brian over Bon. To be frank, Axl Rose sings most songs better than Brian Johnson at this stage. Especially the high note songs. Hells Bells and Thunderstruck stand out. He also sings Bon Scott songs really well.
    Posted By: MeanstreakI know this comment won't be popular, but I don't give a fuck. At one stage as a fan, I even preferred Brian over Bon. To be frank, Axl Rose sings most songs better than Brian Johnson at this stage. Especially the high note songs. Hells Bells and Thunderstruck stand out. He also sings Bon Scott songs really well.

Be careful Meanstreak. I'm sure dozens of Brianists are sharpening their steak knives as we speak.
    Is this serious?!? NONE! Ok Axl does a reasonable job on some songs but none where he performs them better than Bon or Brian and certainly none that suit him better than Bon or Brian. The only thing that suits Axl better is Guns n Roses. I like him in Guns n Roses but not in AC/DC.
    Can we end this thread here please. Pretty please.... :-)

No.
    Posted By: Meanstreak

No.

Yes! ;-)
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCIs this serious?!? NONE! Ok Axl does a reasonable job on some songs but none where he performs them better than Bon or Brian and certainly none that suit him better than Bon or Brian. The only thing that suits Axl better is Guns n Roses. I like him in Guns n Roses but not in AC/DC.
    No. Metter of opinion
    Posted By: rideon77
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCIs this serious?!? NONE! Ok Axl does a reasonable job on some songs but none where he performs them better than Bon or Brian and certainly none that suit him better than Bon or Brian. The only thing that suits Axl better is Guns n Roses. I like him in Guns n Roses but not in AC/DC.
    No. Metter of opinion

I saw Axl play live with Guns n Roses here in Australia on their last tour which was not that long ago. Axl was awful! I went with a group of about 10 friends and 5 of them were musicians and all of us walked away from that concert really disappointed in the performance so I was not alone with my opinion. I'm certain that Axl and Guns n Roses were a great live band in their peak but to suggest that Axl performs AC/DC songs better than the AC/DC lead singers when he can't even perform his own songs that well anymore is ludicrous. It's just my opinion but one I'm sure many share.
    Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    No. Metter of opinion

I saw Axl play live with Guns n Roses here in Australia on their last tour which was not that long ago. Axl was awful! I went with a group of about 10 friends and 5 of them were musicians and all of us walked away from that concert really disappointed in the performance so I was not alone with my opinion. I'm certain that Axl and Guns n Roses were a great live band in their peak but to suggest that Axl performs AC/DC songs better than the AC/DC lead singers when he can't even perform his own songs that well anymore is ludicrous. It's just my opinion but one I'm sure many share.
    In 2016 he was really good even with GNR. GNR fans blame him ti not giving It All with GNR and kicking ass with Angus. Partly true. But GNR songs are technically more difficult than AC/DC ...I Can assure you as Singer and he had to kept his voice for the whole tour using his clean voice that I don't like much either.But with Angus he kicked ass. Fact. Of course prefer a tone over another Is a subjective
    Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    No. Metter of opinion

In 2016 he was really good even with GNR. GNR fans blame him ti not giving It All with GNR and kicking ass with Angus. Partly true. But GNR songs are technically more difficult than AC/DC ...I Can assure you as Singer and he had to kept his voice for the whole tour using his clean voice that I don't like much either.But with Angus he kicked ass. Fact. Of course prefer a tone over another Is a subjective

He sounded terrible in that concert with Guns n Roses that I saw and everyone with me agreed. I'm not sure why, maybe it was Axl's voice or maybe the sound at that venue was crap but either way he sounded terrible. As for Axl being better suited to songs than the actual AC/DC lead singers for me is wrong. I'm not saying that Axl didn't do a good job because considering what Axl was faced with he did a decent job of it. I just don't think he's better suited than Bon or Brian. I would think on an AC/DC fan site most would agree with me. I am on an AC/DC fan forum aren't I? ;-) lol :-)
    Bon cannot Be beaten . But confronting SUL 54 YO Brian vs 2016 54 yo Axl with ac/DC technically Axl wins ...it's a fact. But we Can prefer Brian tone over Axl of course. This Is subjective
    I saw him 3 times with Acdc and 2 times with GNR and he sounded great.

Granted these shows were VERY early on. My buddy a GNR fan showed me some shows from alter on in the tour and he is spent. It literally sounded like Mickey Mouse.

That tour went on wayyyyy to long
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • 7 days ago

Brian is our singer....nuff said.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • 7 days ago

Axl did a terrific job. However I believe the correct answer is none.
    He did great, I mean, he had to sing RNR Thunder sitting on a chair, my poor boy.
    NONE OF THEM

Is this thread a wind up ?
    • AC/DC rock music: CarwynO
    • 7 days ago

I’d say it’s down to personal preference. But Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be was pretty good in his voice. Then again most songs were if you’re comparing it to Brian’s voice now, but so what. Axl sounded ace on most of the songs, but it’s not really important to me and most acdc fans.
    A wind up no at last a discussion where members can voice there opinion about AXL and AC/DC without being dictated to by certain members of the forum long may it continue
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • 7 days ago edited

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: MeanstreakI know this comment won't be popular, but I don't give a fuck. At one stage as a fan, I even preferred Brian over Bon. To be frank, Axl Rose sings most songs better than Brian Johnson at this stage. Especially the high note songs. Hells Bells and Thunderstruck stand out. He also sings Bon Scott songs really well.

Be careful Meanstreak. I'm sure dozens of Brianists are sharpening their steak knives as we speak.
    Guys I'm scare for my life. When 42_39_56 will read this topic for us it's the end! A friend of mine just post me a video in which 42_39_56 viciously attacks a poor Axl fan in a McDonald's .
    DDDDC - just because Axl looks and sounds like he really COULD get you a hitman, whereas Brian would be too busy helping an old lady across the road with her shopping. The outlaw/rebel spirit of a few other Bon songs did take on a new level of realism/convincingness when sung by Axl just because he's still a bit badass.
    •  
    • 7 days ago

Axl fucking nailed Hells Bells. Which was remarkable. His Bon songs were all terrific as he was able to inhabit them.
    Posted By: JemAxl fucking nailed Hells Bells. Which was remarkable. His Bon songs were all terrific as he was able to inhabit them.
    you seemed madly in love with him judging by your posts on the forum after the Lisbon gig.
    Axl stepped into the breach.
    Or, more accurately, sat in the breach for the first few gigs.
    It could have gone so badly wrong but he smashed it.
    Respect is due and I say that as someone who hated his band growing up and only got around to buying AFD a couple of years ago.
    Posted By: Badlands66
    Posted By: JemAxl fucking nailed Hells Bells. Which was remarkable. His Bon songs were all terrific as he was able to inhabit them.
    you seemed madly in love with him judging by your posts on the forum after the Lisbon gig.
    and well deserved. His performance in Lisbon was incredible
    •  
    • 7 days ago

Posted By: Badlands66

I loved him for helping out Ang. Then I heard him on the tunes and he fucking wailed. And did it with total respect to Brian and Bon while clearly having the time of his life. I know not everyone did but I had an absolute blast.
    Axl really did a great job and i will leave it there as he was just a hired gun to finish the last tour.
    The man did a phenomenal job. Total respect for him. Put all the shit behind him and did the band proud. Standard tuning rules ;-)
    Better than Brian on the ROB tour? Thunderstruck, LTBR, ROB, possibly BIB. Better than Brian in his prime? None.
    Answer to the OP’s question is : none, niche, nada. He doesn’t belong in AC/DC, even if Brian’s best days are well behind him
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • 6 days ago

I know some of you enjoyed Axls time in the band and he did well but having seen ACDC with Brian 18 times since 86 i can honestly say that not once did i leave the concert thinking Brian couldn't cut the mustard anymore. Rock n Roll isn't about perfection it's about attitude and passion and Brian ticks those boxes for me.
    • AC/DC rock music: AC77DC
    • 6 days ago

Also seen brian in concert 18 times and agree never disapointed once. fucking mans a legend so for me axl 0.
    Posted By: carlos fandangoAnswer to the OP’s question is : none, niche, nada. He doesn’t belong in AC/DC, even if Brian’s best days are well behind him

This ^
    Posted By: Overdose69NONE OF THEM

Is this thread a wind up ?

And this ^
    or anything goes
    None of them, axl's voice just doesn't work imo just like adam lambert in queen