To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

This morning I searched specifically for Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be on Spotify, specifically the Live at Donington version. This got me thinking, are there any songs you think Brian performs/suits better than Bon?

For me there isn’t many, but probably Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be. I think Brian gives it a kind of ‘mean’ edge, especially when he sang it early on in his AC/DC career. I also think he does a fantastic job at Jailbreak, something I often listen to over the original.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jan 11th 2019

Only his own ones for me.

Bon made them all just more believable, and they they were all meant for him.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 11th 2019

LTBR from Largo '81.
    In a live setting, Brian sang most Bon songs better than his own ones.

HAABPTB
    TNT
    DDDDC
    Jailbreak
    Sin City

Love these!
    Posted By: RoccoLTBR from Largo '81.

As good as that one is, the studio version is the still the definite one for my money.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jan 11th 2019

DDDDC maybe....
    • Jan 11th 2019

I think Brian in most of em sounds a little too "happy " despite the Mean or dramatic lyrics . For example on GS
    Posted By: rideon77I think Brian in most of em sounds a little too "happy " despite the Mean or dramatic lyrics . For example on GS

What would Brian always say during the STT breakdown on the Black Ice tour? It was quite cringe worthy.
    Brian did a really good job with quite a few Bon Scott songs but I would never go as far as saying he ever performed them better than Bon. You have to tip your hat to Brian though as it's never easy singing and performing a song that was originally written and sung by someone else.
    I thought Brian performed 'Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be', 'Dirty Deeds' and 'TNT' really well in a live setting but for me personally he still never did Bon songs as good as Bon.
    Love Bon and that era with the boys, but all his Songs are Meaner when the Goat is behind the mic; for me that is.
    • Jan 11th 2019

Posted By: flattusmaximusall his Songs are Meaner when the Goat is behind the mic;
    yeah!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 11th 2019

Better is an impossible term to use.

However there are some songs which he has almost made his own which quite frankly is incredible. What he cannot do however is inhabit the songs like Bon did. Those songs are alive with Bon’s character.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Jan 11th 2019 edited

I've always liked his Bad Boy Boogie.

In 2001 he did it great, too. All over town yeah!
    Brian did kind of make Highway To Hell his own in a way. All those extended screams at the end have always given me goosebumps. The whole thing felt like a Bon invoking ritual with Brian’s screaming and the red lights and Angus giving the devil horns sign
    I won't say better than Bon but early 80s Brian did a fantastic job on Let There Be Rock, Jail Break, Sin City, Dirty deeds, TNT... I'm basically reiterating what MLP wrote first. I'm not a super fan of older Brian live and what I've heard of Hell Ain't was ok, but not on the level of the early 80s stuff.

He was pure grit and power and totally suited the dangerous edge of those songs then.

To be fair, not too many singers in their 60s or 70s would give those songs the danger they need. I doubt that even Bon could sustain that well into late middle age.
    •  
    • Jan 12th 2019

That’s an interesting point about different era Brians. I’m not a fan of his early vocals live apart from the odd song/gig. I prefer him post 95 I think. Touch more character.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Jan 12th 2019 edited

None.
    But I have to agree with Jem; I also prefer Brian's voice model 1995 and beyond.
    His voice became more blues-friendly and mature. It suits him very well!
    Impossible for me to say he performs any songs “better” than Bon. I have always thought of HTH as one of Bon’s signature and most personal songs. HAABPTB is brilliant on IYWB so not sure how he could do any better on that either.

All that said, always liked Brian live on “Dirty Deeds”, if I want to name a song.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Jan 13th 2019

I’m not sure anyone does any song better than their own.

But I really enjoy Brian’s Rocker, LTBR, Sin City, HAABPTB and UTMNIY.

absolutely

I also think DDDDC & HAABPTB deserves a shout as well. Not overly keen on HTH or SFIF with Brian, but we're probably stuck with those forever
    Posted By: rideon77I think Brian in most of em sounds a little too "happy " despite the Mean or dramatic lyrics . For example on GS

what the fuck are you on about? Doesn't sound "happy" on DDDDC or HAABPTB or LTBR to my ears. I just don't get that. I think your looking at ways to knock Brian
    • AC/DC rock music: 80309
    • Jan 17th 2019

Posted By: JemBetter is an impossible term to use.

Better is the correct word as Brian is better on All songs already Written in Stone
    I would say I prefer Dirty Deeds and T.N.T. live with Brian, (even though there aren't many great recordings of Bon doing them to really compare) Brian had came into them really well over the years.

He does Dog Eat Dog and Shot Down In Flames well,and If You Want Blood,Sin City and LTBR.

Hard for me to say better,but I like his versions a lot.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 18th 2019

Posted By: nitroangus23T.N.T.

It's great to hear him do TNT. It's technically easy for him so he's able to relax into it and just sing it how he wants.

Bit bored of some of these really old ones live though.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 18th 2019

Posted By: carlos fandango

absolutely

I also think DDDDC & HAABPTB deserves a shout as well. Not overly keen on HTH or SFIF with Brian, but we're probably stuck with those forever

True, DDDDC & HAABPTB really suit him well. Just as Sin City does imo. I'm not the biggest fan of SDIF in general, but I really like the way he sings HTH. But the studio version of that one is unbeaten. I also think BBB is a song that is tailor made for Brian's voice.
    •  
    • Jan 18th 2019

Posted By: nitroangus23I would say I prefer Dirty Deeds and T.N.T. live with Brian, (even though there aren't many great recordings of Bon doing them to really compare) Brian had came into them really well over the years.

He does Dog Eat Dog and Shot Down In Flames well,and If You Want Blood,Sin City and LTBR.

The Pavillon boot with Bon on TNT is my favourite version of the song. ‘‘Tis a Song which Brian has always nailed.

“Tell ya why ...”
    Posted By: JemThat’s an interesting point about different era Brians. I’m not a fan of his early vocals live apart from the odd song/gig. I prefer him post 95 I think. Touch more character.

If you weren't a mod with the Ban Hammer gripped firmly in one hand I'd say you're as high as a fuckin' kite.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Jan 19th 2019

Posted By: JemThat’s an interesting point about different era Brians. I’m not a fan of his early vocals live apart from the odd song/gig. I prefer him post 95 I think. Touch more character.

It’s interesting you say that, Jem. I love all Brian eras but I’ve said before on here that Ballbreaker may very well be my favorite.

He was so fucking cool from ‘95-‘01 in particular.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Jan 19th 2019

I've always thought post 95 Brian doing the bluesy low register thing would have worked great for Night Prowler. I could see him doing it while smoking a cig and owning it.
    Posted By: Jem
    Posted By: nitroangus23I would say I prefer Dirty Deeds and T.N.T. live with Brian, (even though there aren't many great recordings of Bon doing them to really compare) Brian had came into them really well over the years.

The Pavillon boot with Bon on TNT is my favourite version of the song. ‘‘Tis a Song which Brian has always nailed.

“Tell ya why ...”

I absolutely love the dirty rough version from Paris '79 and the one from '77 Golders Green is great too, just have gotten so accustomed to Brian's live versions that I tend to listen them more often.

Still, T.N.T. is a highlight from Bonfire for sure.
    High voltage is one I really enjoy from Brian, we were blessed getting someone so different to bon, but could do justice to his songs

I’ve always wondered what Brian songs would’ve sounded like with Bon on vocals, especially the back in black stuff.
    Would be cool if technology one day could make it happen
    •  
    • Jan 20th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto

If you weren't a mod with the Ban Hammer gripped firmly in one hand I'd say you're as high as a fuckin' kite.

:)

Just find most of the early boots a bit harsh.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 20th 2019 edited

Posted By: 42_39_56I’m not sure anyone does any song better than their own.

Jimi Hendrix made a way better job of All Along The Watchtower than Bob Dylan. There are quite a few more examples. A "recent" one is an independent artist's Tina Dico render of Working Class Hero.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 20th 2019

Posted By: marcinhaJimi Hendrix made a way better job of All Along The Watchtower than Bob Dylan

True, but then ALL Bob Dylan's songs sound better by other people!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 20th 2019

Yeah I guess so :)
    •  
    • Jan 20th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: marcinhaJimi Hendrix made a way better job of All Along The Watchtower than Bob Dylan

No.
    Posted By: 900

That's an outrageous comment but it did make me laugh out loud!