To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: CANADA
    • Jan 9th 2019

Which is the superior album and why? Discuss.
    • AC/DC rock music: Richraff
    • Jan 9th 2019

Rock or Bust. Black Ice had a few really good tracks on it, but the filler in the middle ruins the experience of listening to is as an album, for me.
    Black Ice, for sure. There´s something fresh, here.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 9th 2019

Surely we've had this old chestnut in a previous post?

RoB - more dynamic, more natural sounding, more energetic. BI has just as many good songs though - but it has a few weaker ones, so it feels a little bloated.
    Rock or Bust by miles. And i mean that with all due respect to Malcolm.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jan 9th 2019

ROB for me . Apart from Money made I don't listen to any of BI
    Rock or Bust is the better album of the two for me personally. I just think ROB was a more solid album. I like the fact that they experimented with a couple of new things on Black Ice but I still feel that Rock or Bust was the more superior album of the two.
    From start to finish ROB for me. BI has some interesting moments but some of it didn't work and it would of been better as just a ten song album. I do really like the fresh sound BI has though.
    • AC/DC rock music: Gavin82
    • Jan 9th 2019

100% RoB great Album great tour
    ROB. As much as I think RNRT is better than anything on ROB, the track list of BI gets very hit or miss after Big Jack IMO.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 9th 2019

Posted By: 900Surely we've had this old chestnut in a previous post?

RoB - more dynamic, more natural sounding, more energetic. BI has just as many good songs though - but it has a few weaker ones, so it feels a little bloated.

Pretty much what he said.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jan 9th 2019

I prefered RoB for a while, but these days I'd rather spin BI. Although I'd probably skip about 5 tracks.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 9th 2019

Black Ice without an ounce of doubt. It's a far superior album. It's actually their best album since FOTS. ROB is one of the worst three albums they ever recorded. I really can't understand how ROB gets so much love here.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Jan 9th 2019

Would say ROB. Has a certain amount off balls and looseness to it that elevates it a bit. Best song of the 2 is R'n'R Train though!
    Black Ice > RoB

I think RoB is a rather dull outing.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jan 9th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinROB. As much as I think RNRT is better than anything on ROB, the track list of BI gets very hit or miss after Big Jack IMO.
    I Think Dogs Of War is the best song off the 2 albums
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 9th 2019

RoB only is better than BI in de drum and lead guitar department. Other than that i enjoy much more songs on BI. More finished songs, more diversity, more natural ac/dc sounding, Brian more powerful.

RoB is the least 'ac/dc' sounding album to me, due to BoB's approach. It felt a bit estranged. And when even 2,5 minute songs still have a lot of repetitiveness in them, it's very underdeveloped.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Jan 9th 2019

Black Ice was a grower for me. At first I thought a lot of it came across as though they were trying too hard to be taken seriously with the experimental side of things. Also on first listen I remember feeling disappointed with some of the songs verse riffs, some thing like Sky’s On Fire where you got a good intro that goes into a plodder, a bit like Can’t Stop Rock and Roll territory. Eventually I got my head round it and after a few listens started to enjoy it and still do apart from Wheels which I just can’t stand especially the Wheeeeeels bit which reminds me of that synth on the chorus of Crazy Horses by the Osmonds and the verse reminds me of Oasis for some reason, a bit of a Cigarette and Alcohol feel to it.

ROB Got me straight away with it being more riff orientated and The Rudd’s drumming sounded great on it too but I found that I go back to Black Ice more these days, maybe it’s the element of experimentation that gives it its charm that I didn’t really appreciate a few years ago. Riff’s and Angus soloing is a lot better on rock or bust but black Ice has a lot of different colours to it and some good moments in the songs themselves. Take Black Ice down to 10 songs and give a bit more power to the guitars in places then it would be a corker.
    Got to say the only thing that spoils ROB for me is Emission Control, Don’t like the guitar sound at all on that, almost sounds like a strat at the beginning.
    • Jan 9th 2019

Sorry for rambling on
    • Jan 9th 2019

Posted By: 71SGGot to say the only thing that spoils ROB for me is Emission Control, Don’t like the guitar sound at all on that, almost sounds like a strat at the beginning.

I like the guitar sounds, especially the stuff on the pre-chorus, that fat sound. The backing vocals irritated the fuck out of me, I thought, the last ever AC/DC song and BoB tries to steal the limelight making them sound like fucking Def Leppard?! But it doesn't bother me any more, I quite like the song.
    RoB,

Because of this:

Black Ice, without doubt.

RoB is underdeveloped and consists of bits and pieces cobbled together in an effort to put out something worthwhile. You have the same issue on BI too, but individual tracks are stronger and the album has more diversity. Plus Mal plays on BI.
    • AC/DC rock music: ianbigmac
    • Jan 9th 2019 edited

ROB. Title track is one of their best songs in decades
    Rock Or Bust by miles.

It has more energy than any of the band's recent albums. There a certain thump and upbeat feel to the songs that hasn't been there in a long time. Nearly every song gets your toe tapping and there's a swagger there. Also, no song is long enough to wear out its welcome.

Black Ice has several good tracks (WM, SMD, MM), but the filler hurts it badly. There's not a lot of up-tempo headbangers or any real crunch to the guitar sound. I appreciate the experimentation, but they really needed to eliminate the dull, repetitious numbers that just plod along a la Stiff Upper Lip.
    • AC/DC rock music: Flick
    • Jan 9th 2019

BI is the better album.
    ROB by a few country miles.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: malgus73
    • Jan 9th 2019

I prefer Rock Or Bust, even though I really like that they experimented a bit on BI.
    RoB because 1) It's a blast and 2) I don't have to drive rusty nails into my balls while listening to it to stay awake.
    I'M on the Rock or Bust bandwagon too, but I would have thought this conversation would have been trending towards Black Ice, if this was a poll, it's time to call it a mercy killing
    BI. Rock or bust was the better album but black ice had everything going for it. No drama, insane hype, and a radio smash hit
    as far as sales go, I guess Black Ice did rule ,,, I don't dislike it, but I still say ROB all the way
    Posted By: Alex LebanonRoB because 1) It's a blast and 2) I don't have to drive rusty nails into my balls while listening to it to stay awake.
    Santa ain't the only one who's got a full sack
    RRT shits on anything ROB, but ROB has ROB PB and some funky ass tracks to follow.

BI had one track and load of filler.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Jan 9th 2019

ROB because it sounds fresher and doesn't drag like BI. That said I often skip the 4,5,6 section on ROB.
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jan 9th 2019

ROB. Way more swing and swagger than much of BI.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Jan 10th 2019

ROB makes me happy from start to finish...BI was good but doesn't flow .
    • Jan 10th 2019

Posted By: ianbigmacROB. Title track is one of their best songs in decades

Posted By: seventimesIt has more energy than any of the band's recent albums. There a certain thump and upbeat feel to the songs that hasn't been there in a long time. Nearly every song gets your toe tapping and there's a swagger there.

^yep
    I've played ROB end to end maybe 10 or 15 times and have not spun it in a couple years.

BI by a mile: developed songs and the top 5 beat the top five from ROB considerably. Aside from the title track, nothing on Rob is better than mere "good" and too much forgettable stuff. Yes, I'm in the minority. That said, BI is no great shakes; maybe reduced to 10 songs it could be "very good."

Brian's voice — a near return to his early to mid 80s vocals — on both is the most impressive element.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI've played ROB end to end maybe 10 or 15 times and have not spun it in a couple years.

BI by a mile: developed songs and the top 5 beat the top five from ROB considerably. Aside from the title track, nothing on Rob is better than mere "good" and too much forgettable stuff. Yes, I'm in the minority. That said, BI is no great shakes; maybe reduced to 10 songs it could be "very good."

Brian's voice — a near return to his early to mid 80s vocals — on both is the most impressive element.

What are your BI top five out of interest?
    • AC/DC rock music: CarwynO
    • Jan 12th 2019 edited

Black Ice is by far the better album for me. Maybe too long, but Rob is too short. Dunno about everyone else, but if I’m paying for a nice meal, I’d rather have more than I bargained for than not enough. Same with good music.
    It’s fresher, and a strong effort to get back in the saddle after 8 years of no music, and from SUL and Ballbreaker. Read a review of BI, saying that Rock n Roll Train was the strongest opener on any album since Highway to Hell with the title track and I couldn’t agree more; just straight away hits you with that riff. Had BI only had Rock n Roll Train, Skies on Fire, Anything Goes, War Machine, Spoilin For a Fight, Stormy May Day, Money Made, Rock n Roll Dream, Rocking All the Way and Black Ice, it would have been much better and flowed better. Definitely was an overkill, but Rob was underwhelming. It’s an instrumental album; Brian’s vocals was ruined with the production and the lyrics are far worse. With time it really feels like a reheated meal
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI've played ROB end to end maybe 10 or 15 times and have not spun it in a couple years.

What are your BI top five out of interest?

Rock N Roll Train — great song, dumb ass Y/Y lyrics but great riffing and vocals and full of hooks
    Skie On Fire — bit of different vibe, hooky, great back up vocals
    War Machine — not great but good; menace, wonderful groove
    Stormy May Day — I believe it's gotten grief here but it's a little more poignant and different than standard AC/DC and I appreciate that
    Rock N Roll Dream — ditto as above; considering that Mal is dying and so is the band, the lyrics have a poignancy we haven't see since maybe Powerage; tons of emotion; while fucking and drinking are very worthy subjects of AC/DC songs, it's nice to get a change-up and some contemplative reflection about the emptiness of success and aging

Not everyone's top five but on ROB I love the title track, appreciate Play Ball and like Hard Candy musically but the lyrics make me cringe. I'll give BI a B grade and ROB a C-. That's relative to rock in general. ROB is, in my opinion, the weakest AC/DC album by far.
    I called Sweet Candy Hard Candy. That's how little I spin it.
    Posted By: RoccoBlack Ice without an ounce of doubt. It's a far superior album. It's actually their best album since FOTS. ROB is one of the worst three albums they ever recorded. I really can't understand how ROB gets so much love here.

I know, I scratch my head at that. Once you actually get past the veneer of RoB its really not that great. 3-4 belters and the rest just cobbled together bollocks.

What really hobbles Black Ice is the amount of songs on the bloody thing. As far as I'm concerned 15 is too many. Bearing in mind for the previous 25 years AC/DC had struggled to come up more than 5 decent tracks per album to suddenly have 15 on an album and expect them all to be of a reasonable standard was asking a bit too much at that point in the game. If they had pared it back to 10 then you would be looking at a latter day classic AC/DC album no question. With a real solid 7-8 songs it was a huge leap forward in quality, not seen since the FOTS era. It didn't really help that the title track wasn't exactly in your face and hidden away at the end of the album and generally not that well liked, even though I thought is was OK, but not an obvious ripper like RoB, Ballbreaker, SUL which were all arguably the stand out tracks on the albums they came from.

Another reason for Black Ice over RoB is that Malcolm is on it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Jan 14th 2019

Rock or Bust... Better songs, better lyrics
    • Jan 14th 2019

The problem with cutting BI down to 10 or so songs, is no-one seems to agree on which songs should get the boot?

It's a little like BUYV; I'd remove 2 or 3 of the more different-sounding ones and put in Borrowed Time, Borderline, and even Snake Eye. All are solid tub-thumpers (and the first 2 are just great songs full-stop).

I'd eject Smash n Grab (wasted opportunity, musically good, spoiled entirely by the usual issue), She Likes Rock n Roll (one of the worst choruses they've ever written), Rock n Roll Dream (been discussed, good effort) and Rocking All The Way (it should work really well, but somehow, it's just 'OK' - I'd keep it if we have 12 songs though. The other ones on this list, they just kind of irritate me).

I like all the other songs, even with naff lyrics.
    • Jan 14th 2019

My 10 would be
    1.Rock ‘n’ Roll Train
    2.Big Jack
    3.Money Made
    4.Smash and Grab
    5.Stormy May Day
    6.Spoiling For A Fight
    7.Skies On Fire
    8.Decibel
    9.She Likes Rock ‘n Roll
    10.War Machine
    The more the merrier? No?
    ROB is my preferred.
    I preferred BI for a long while, but the more I listen to ROB the more it grew on me.