To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

While Bon was pretty much the same bad ass MF during his AC/DC years changin really a little his attitude on stage Brian had many changes during his long stint with the band. What' your favorite :

Cocaine Brian (1980-early 81) : My favorite, the 1981 Tokyo live video is incredible. Almost as crazy as Angus on stage. Out of control. Fucking Great .

Mean-Bad Ass Brian (late 1981-1984) : Not as crazy as the very early one but a REALLY MEAN, BAD ASS ATTITUDE. My second favorite

Mid-late 80's Brian: Not as mean as before, some new "dance Moves" , still storming the stage

Grandpa Pants Brian ( 1990 -1991) : For some people a second prime for him. He developed again some mean attitude , Love this era

Black suit Brian ( 1996-2001) : very mobile on stage as much as Angus compensating the deterioration of his voice

2003 Brian: A bit less muscle and a beer belly but overall similar to the previous era, his voice starts to come back here. A bit laid back on stage like the rest of the band for those great intimate shows

Dancing-mincing Brian (2008-2016) : My least favorite but The guy had so much fun on stage
    Cocaine Brian is the best.

I wish I could mount a GIF of him wagging that motherfucking finger to the crowd on my wall.
    Mean-Bad Ass Brian (late 1981-1984)
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 7th 2019

Cocaine Brian all the way!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

Mean-Bad Ass Brian (FTATR tour 81-82). Imo he was the most himself in that period.

1991 Brian, pure power, presence and the band was on fire.
    • AC/DC rock music: Richraff
    • Jan 7th 2019

'91 era for me, although I do like that more his personality started showing through from the 2001 era onwards
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jan 7th 2019

Mean-Bad Ass Brian (late 1981-1984)
    96-01
    "Black suit, Cowboys Boots Brian ( 1996-2001)"

Cowboy boots Brian started with Black Ice.

"Grandpa Pants Brian ( 1990 -1991)"

Not fair. While he did indeed wear those ugly jeans in Donington (why, oh why!) and some other gigs, for the most part he was wearing leg tight mean jeans:

• Jan 7th 2019 edited

He wore the Cowboys boots in the Hard As A Rock Video and in some gig, yes not all the gigs. But I remember I fucking disliked those black boots in the Ballbreaker photo session
    I think he was wearing the boots in the sul videos too? Not sure. I thought this was about stage performance anyway.

It's gonna be mid 80s Brian for me. Rock in Rio 85 is Brian at his best if you ask me.
    1996 ball breaker tour Brian. He channeled bon, ripping his shirt off and howling like a motherfucker
    • Jan 7th 2019

Posted By: BallToucherI think he was wearing the boots in the sul videos too? Not sure. I thought this was about stage performance anyway.

It's gonna be mid 80s Brian for me. Rock in Rio 85 is Brian at his best if you ask me.
    I think you are right. I change that part. My memory starts to fail
    Grandpa pants for the win! lol

Just kidding. For myself, it's a toss up between the FTATR tour Brian and his stumbling drunk Andy Capp in '80 (or better known as Cocaine Brian 'round these parts). My only issue with the '81-'82 image is that while it was as cool as hell, it seemed like his ensemble (Harley t-shirt + bandanna around the neck)seemed more like a uniform that he needed to wear every night (sort of like Angus' school boy get up).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 7th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permGrandpa pants for the win! lol

Just kidding. For myself, it's a toss up between the FTATR tour Brian and his stumbling drunk Andy Capp in '80 (or better known as Cocaine Brian 'round these parts). My only issue with the '81-'82 image is that while it was as cool as hell, it seemed like his ensemble (Harley t-shirt + bandanna around the neck)seemed more like a uniform that he needed to wear every night (sort of like Angus' school boy get up).
    didn't he wear the same outfit throughout the whole tour on every tour?
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 7th 2019

LoL at Rideon77's narration accompanying the clips!

I always liked the "Beano-ing" (jockeying) at the start of GFH in 83-84.

Also I don't agree with the 'grandpa jeans' thing - they're just jeans. In a sense more rock n roll for a band like AC/DC than poncing about in tight ones just because that's 'rock'. The vest is what gave the 'grandpa' element!
    • Jan 7th 2019

He was also pretty mad on the first part of the FOTW tour, with his hair completely lop-sided, frizzy and ridiculous, clothes falling apart etc. - and wailing out Fly On The Wall like a demon!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

Ballbreaker Brian. Absolutely.

BOOLBREAKAH!!

Posted By: 42_39_56Ballbreaker Brian. Absolutely.

BOOLBREAKAH!!

I'm surprised you didn't post a picture from Brian's days in Geordie. :)
    • Jan 7th 2019

Mean Bad-Ass Brian late 81-84 is my favorite but to be fair he always kicks ass no matter what the era is. The man is a rock legend!!
    Great thread!

It all depends on my mood - sometimes I dig cocaine Brian (definitely the most entertaining to watch, I mean check out 0:42 in the first video, I have a laugh imagining 2015 Brian doing that on stage). My second favorite would either be '81-'84 or the Ballbreaker one - that one is just fabulous because of the stage antics, clothes, and that steel ball in the Ballbreaker video from Plug Me In.

Nevertheless, he's never ceased to be a legendary frontman - he was the moment he auditioned.
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

• AC/DC rock music: 80309
    • Jan 7th 2019

Posted By: 900wailing out Fly On The Wall like a demon!

^^^^ This
    All of em
    ROB era brian for me , it seemed like he had the most fun and was genuinely happy to still be doing it
    Less scripted , I personally love his scatting on shoot and high voltage
    I think the BB era he was out to prove his stamina
    Jumping on the bell rope , riding wrecking ball
    the Back In Black Brian (especially the Tokyo shows) is fucking awesome... but I thought it was more nervous youthful (relatively speaking) energy than coke.

I'll take "bad-ass" brian 81-84. The fucking coolest mofo I've ever seen on a stage. He had menace, he had a certain dangerous charm, he was straight from the factories and pubs onto the big stage. And his voice was immortal: barbed wired soaked in whiskey, I've coined it. Goddamn magical and never-heard prior or since from anyone.

I'm flabbergasted that anyone would take anything after. To each his own.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Jan 8th 2019

Cocaine Brian all the way. I’d have given anything to be able to see one of Cocaine Brian’s concerts. Unfortunately in 1980 I was only 7. He and angus both played great off each other’s energy.
    81-84 all the way. Pure attitude and still had his voice operating at its peak
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Jan 8th 2019

Powerhouse party uncle with enough grit. My Brian.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Jan 15th 2019

Cannon and Bell tour Brian for me, but then I’ve got a soft spot for Heatseeker Brian as that was the first single that I bought after seeing a 15 sec clip on top of the pops. I was mad on Beastie Boys and Run DmC at the time, it all changed with that 15 second clip. My dad bought me the single and then BUYV then every weeek with my £10 pocket money me and my mates would go to Our Price in Birkenhead or Penny Lane records and HMV in Liverpool to start building our collections. Beasties soon ended up at the back.
    Mean bad ass Brian for sure, especially during the FTATR tour. He was the reason I fell in love with the band. He was fantastic during Rock in Rio as well, especially having had a bit of rest for his voice before that. What a time that must have been to see them live...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Jan 18th 2019

Does the Tokyo show exist in high quality audio-visual?
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Jan 18th 2019

^There was an error earlier on AC/DC's Spotify where they had a clean soundboard version of High Voltage from Tokyo '81 instead of High Voltage from Let There Be Rock - The Movie. So they must have the soundboard, but I don't think it will ever be released.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Jan 22nd 2019

Thanks.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jan 22nd 2019

The bloke down the pub that got lucky Brian - Back in Black tour.

Lots of grinning and associating with the crowd, and just genuine throughout.
    1. TRE era
    2. BIB/FTATR
    3. Smooth dancing Bueno the ROB one, BI was different

But all of the eras are great
    Posted By: CliffFINmark21. TRE era

You wouldn't happen to have a grandpa jeans fetish by any chance?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • Jan 25th 2019

Not sure I could choose a favourite Brian anywhere between 80 and 86. Every performance I saw in that era was stunning. The whole band were on fire at that point but it was definitely Brian's peak.

I missed BUYV tour and TRE was a little flat, I thought - the gigs were getting a bit flabby by the old standards. Felt they really picked up again with SUL. Have a real soft spot for the 2003 stuff.
    Posted By: azelThe bloke down the pub that got lucky Brian - Back in Black tour.

Lots of grinning and associating with the crowd, and just genuine throughout.

Perfectly described.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Elvir79
    • Jan 26th 2019

•  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Jan 26th 2019

it’s clearly Ballbreaker.

The fucking coolest of cool. God love ‘em.

• AC/DC rock music: Moparman
    • Jan 26th 2019 edited

I used to love brian when he, d get back beside the Marshall stacks near where mal was standing and just wind up and pump fists when for those about to rock started, then stagger forward and let rip into the intro and first verse... Great to watch
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Jan 28th 2019

coke brian for sure, but all eras of beano are awesome.
    me and my brother saw them in 2010 in Sydney, right up the front, and I noticed that he waved and basically said hello to EVERYONE in the crowd!!
    After the show I said to my bro "fuck beano is cool..if that charismatic dude is the guy they got to replace bon, fuck, bon must have been something else..."
    Best Brian is 1990, I do not care what people say about his Jeans. He looked bad-ass and muscular and did not give one single fuck. 1991 he had his hair cut, which is sad. 1990 for me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • May 23rd 2019

All Brian (apart from BI). Cowboy boots were a bad idea.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • May 23rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Bedlam_in_Torontothe Back In Black Brian (especially the Tokyo shows) is fucking awesome... but I thought it was more nervous youthful (relatively speaking) energy than coke.

That's what it looks like to me and I imagine in the main that's what it was.

Also if Brian were up there in 2015, pushing 70 and trying to act and look "bad-ass" he would have looked an utter tit. Just like many other rock/metal guys who try to do the same. Dave Evans being a prime example.

As long as his voice is in good shape and he's enjoying himself, within reason I couldn't care less what he's wearing or how he's acting.

Posted By: rideon77Black suit Brian ( 1996-2001) : very mobile on stage as much as Angus compensating the deterioration of his voice

Posted By: sfadden30I think the BB era he was out to prove his stamina
    Jumping on the bell rope , riding wrecking ball

I think from BB on it more likely he was stepping up because Angus had slowed down significantly by that point.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 23rd 2019

Posted By: JemAll Brian (apart from BI). Cowboy boots were a bad idea.

C'mon Jem, let Brian show his American influences once in a while.