To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

http://www.blabbermo...

On Fly:

"It's a funny thing, the album 'Fly On The Wall'. I get a lot of people that talk to me about it and say it's kind of been overlooked and stuff. And I think when it did come out, it was the climate at the time. AC/DC had had 'Back In Black' and 'For Those About To Rock', which were massive albums, and I really honestly don't think that you can keep up that, keep those albums like that coming out. And grunge was rearing its head too — not that there was anything wrong with that. But I think the music climate was changing. The shows that we did on that tour, they were still selling out and doing really good. We were just getting on with things the way that the band did things. But I think it was difficult to keep that momentum up, with such massive-selling albums. But in the end, I think a lot of people came around to that album and have a liking for it. It's a little bit different-sounding too, I think — the production changed; it wasn't 'Mutt' Lange anymore. But I think it's a good album."

He seems a bit daft with the "grunge was rearing its head" in 1985, but interesting all the same.
    Along with acdc I was a huge dio fan growing up but by lock of the wolves tour there popularity had waned quite a bit , I saw dio in new haven ct in aug of 1990 and there was only about 4 to 5000 people In an arena that held 12000 ( still great show and simon did fine but a few months later razors edge comes out and does real well and I couldn't help feel he made a mistake ( if he did indeed leave on his own) when I saw acdc at the start of the tour in hartford to a completely packed 16000 seat arena
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 6th 2019

If i read the whole piece it looks like Simon has mixed up BUYV with FOTW.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jan 6th 2019

Grunge in 1985? LOL
    Well grunge did start to rear its head in the mid 80`s - though it was very underground at that point.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 6th 2019

Fly could still have sold massively had it sounded right for a commercial target, even if the songs weren't overall as good as their best albums. They seemed to get confused by the era and how to go about it, how to fit their album into the times. All a bit weird. But I'm glad we have Fly as it is, it's something different.
    • Jan 6th 2019

BUYV had incredible songs, arrangements and great lyrics. The production was lame ass, the vocals not that great but the songwriting... wow really fantastic. It could have been a classic with a good production
    And what a massive mistake he made imo given thunderstruck and the massive selling razors edge were just around the corner.
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

Interesting quote from Simon about how the drums "sounded massive" in that studio, in 1985. It backs up what I've always thought, that the reverb on the drums is real (perhaps that's obvious!) and they were aiming for natural room sounds, more like how Zep used to do it sometimes.

Angus alluded to this in an interview at the time, criticising the mid-80s generic drum sounds - "you go, what is that, oil drums?" or something. Ironically, he compared it to "oil drums" but I'd say whacking a big empty oil drum is pretty much the snare sound on Fly!

I'm glad Simon knows the album is well-liked by plenty of fans.
    • AC/DC rock music: PatHep
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

I remember in rushing out to buy the album in 1985 and getting home only to put it on my turn table and desperatly trying to adjust the stereo system because of the awful sound. I thought there was something wrong with my equipment or there was something wrong with the record! As it turned out the only fix was to hear it live. Fly on The Wall was probably one of the top three ipening songs in my opinion. How did that terrible studio recording get past any kind of quality control?
    How can you be bored playing in AC/DC?
    Interesting
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: 900Interesting quote from Simon about how the drums "sounded massive" in that studio, in 1985. It backs up what I've always thought, that the reverb on the drums is real (perhaps that's obvious!) and they were aiming for natural room sounds, more like how Zep used to do it sometimes.

Angus alluded to this in an interview at the time, criticising the mid-80s generic drum sounds - "you go, what is that, oil drums?" or something. Ironically, he compared it to "oil drums" but I'd say whacking a big empty oil drum is pretty much the snare sound on Fly!

I'm glad Simon knows the album is well-liked by plenty of fans.

AC/DC have a downright weird attitude to everything they produced in the 80s that is not Back in Black or FTATR (the song). It's like they're taken aback when fans profess to like any of that material. To the point that if Angus Young was ever giving evidence in a court of law and one of the questions happened to be, "Did AC/DC release an album in 1983 named 'Flick of the Switch'?", I could see Angus fidgeting and hesitating to give a direct answer. On the one hand, AC/DC have prided themselves on being a band that is not overtly commercial (that is to say not deliberately following trends in order to sell albums etc. etc.), but on the other hand seems to rate its own albums solely by their chart success.
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: Brianyif Angus Young was ever giving evidence in a court of law and one of the questions happened to be, "Did AC/DC release an album in 1983 named 'Flick of the Switch'?", I could see Angus fidgeting and hesitating to give a direct answer.

ha ha - true!

The contradiction you note is interesting. I guess you get sucked in once you've had big success, plus of course I guess it's no crime to want to write commercially popular songs. I suppose they tried a more pure approach on BB and SUL - the production on the latter and a song like the title track illustrate that there is a way to get some sort of middle ground..

I wish we had a "virtual mixing console" where we could all download the stems from each album and try our own mixes...that would be EPIC fun!
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: Brianyif Angus Young was ever giving evidence in a court of law and one of the questions happened to be, "Did AC/DC release an album in 1983 named 'Flick of the Switch'?", I could see Angus fidgeting and hesitating to give a direct answer.

ha ha - true!

The contradiction you note is interesting. I guess you get sucked in once you've had big success, plus of course I guess it's no crime to want to write commercially popular songs. I suppose they tried a more pure approach on BB and SUL - the production on the latter and a song like the title track illustrate that there is a way to get some sort of middle ground..

I wish we had a "virtual mixing console" where we could all download the stems from each album and try our own mixes...that would be EPIC fun!

That's a contradiction that they've been dealing with throughout their career. On the one hand, they wanted to stay true to what they felt they were, but on the other hand would be vexed if that didn't lead to big sales and mainstream acceptance. I think the truth of it is that there will be times when the mainstream just isn't going to buy what AC/DC's selling (but they'll always have the numbers to make an album worth releasing), and the success of an AC/DC album is as much to do with the musical trend winds blowing into their sails.
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

AC/DC themselves acknowledged their holy 4 quartet a long time ago. And they will stay faithful to that because that's also what "the kids" want.
    Posted By: ThankassAC/DC themselves acknowledged their holy 4 quartet a long time ago.

LTRB, BIB, TNT, ???
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: ThankassAC/DC themselves acknowledged their holy 4 quartet a long time ago.

LTRB, BIB, TNT, ???
    HTH
    Posted By: Thankass

LTRB, BIB, TNT, ???
    HTH

I'd hardly call 1 song being a permanent fixture on the set list (HTH) plus another one being a semi permanent fixture (SDIF) acknowledgment. The majority of HTH has been criminally under represented during the band's live shows over the years.
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

LTRB, BIB, TNT, ???
    HTH

I'd hardly call 1 song being a permanent fixture on the set list (HTH) plus another one being a semi permanent fixture (SDIF) acknowledgment. The majority of HTH has been criminally under represented during the band's live shows over the years.
    didn't we have SDIF, GGR and HTH during the BB tour?
    • Jan 8th 2019

LTRB, BIB, TNT, ???
    HTH

didn't we have SDIF, GGR and HTH during the BB tour?
    Yes!
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

It's a testament to how early the AC/DC live canon was established that newer songs, however much quality they have, rarely get a look in. There's enough in the band's catalog post-1979 to 'dine out on'. Indeed, there are many bands (*cough* Guns n Roses *cough) who stake their career on one or two albums. From HtH onward, the band only plucked the very cream of their output - the stuff that was undeniable by every aspect of musical appreciation, be that the band themselves, the DJs, the Joe six packs, the music nerds and the Rock critics - for perpetual (or even regular) inclusion in set lists.

But also I believe, maybe naively, that the band play the songs they do because those are their favourite songs. Sure, you might get sick of playing HAABPTB if you were playing it to a small crowd, like in a cover band scenario, but playing it to a massive crowd who become electrified by it - that's a tonic to ensure perpetual freshness, I reckon.
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

^agree. But Guns played almost every song from AFD, UYI 1&2 and also a handful from CD and a handful of covers.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Jan 8th 2019

Fly was a disaster ... Simon was a disaster ... Case closed.
    Posted By: Mike206Fly was a disaster ... Simon was a disaster ... Case closed.

Harsh. The only thing that let’s fly down is the shite outdated reverb laden production.
    The songs, lyrics and performance on it are very good indeed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jan 8th 2019 edited

FOTW and even FOTS does not have particularly strong songs compared to their best albums. The energy is fierce, the riffs are good to great, in some places, but the songs are not really what prime AC/DC is about. By FOTW and BUYV, the band even had a really prominent cartoonish image to them. They were much more grounded during the seventies up to and including BIB and had that unmistaken swing to their songs. As much as I used to love those albums as a kid, today, I even venture to say that TRE is a better album than both of those. And to me, Chris Slade was a much better fit than Simon Wright. How on earth can you get bored and lose passion playing in a band like AC/DC? Slade always loved the band and had a much better understanding of what they are all about, even though he had a far richer history as a drummer than Wright.
    Couldn’t agree less. FOTS is front to back all awesome to merely fantastic songs that stand up to any other AC/DC album, and actually beats HTH and FTATR (for my money) in the song department. Fly is a tad weaker in that department but still ass kicking. It seems some folks just like the FEEL of the Bon era and BIB better, which I can completely respect.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostCouldn’t agree less. FOTS is front to back all awesome to merely fantastic songs that stand up to any other AC/DC album, and actually beats HTH and FTATR (for my money) in the song department. Fly is a tad weaker in that department but still ass kicking. It seems some folks just like the FEEL of the Bon era and BIB better, which I can completely respect.

Flick of the Switch beats Highway to Hell and For Those About to Rock? And Fly on the Wall is just a tad weaker than that? C'mon... there's a reason why even the band doesn't look back on that era with great fondness.
    Song for song, minus historical context, yes: FOTS beats those two albums.
    I think that they simply have their own view of what stuff of theirs is good and what isn't. I will say that it's weird how they've neglected their 80's stuff aside from BIB and FTATR (song), but I suppose you could just put it up to them not really liking FTATR (album) in general and thinking that they were past their prime starting with Flick until Thunderstruck. It's funny thinking of Angus getting all nervous when asked about them..

"What are your views on your post FTATR album releases before your early 90's revitalization?"
    "uh, well, you know, uh, ACDC had great success with Back in Black and all that during the early 80's you know, and it seems to me that, you know, it somewhat got quieter after that point, you know. It just is great to know, you know, that we really found ourselves again with The Razors Edge."
    "But what do you think about releases such as Fly on the Wall?"
    "What's that?"
    "...."

Now, on the whole flick vs. fly thing - Flick has almost no singles or songs that the general public would enjoy aside from MAYBE GFH, while Fly has a few that unfortunately didn't get enough attention due to the production, time period, and I suppose that they just weren't as strong as Thunderstruck. Overall, though, Flick feels much more like classic ACDC to me than Fly, and, despite it's lack of a potentially good single, it's just got a much more consistent track listing that i prefer over Fly.
    I think it’s easy to understand why they don’t look back fondly on that era.

Phil went nuts and imploded and Mal’s alcohol situation started to catch up with him. Then they had to replace their drummer yet again before things got better.
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostSong for song, minus historical context, yes: FOTW beats those two albums.

Song for song, Flick of the Switch is a much stronger album than Fly on the Wall... and that's even taking into consideration the production values, such as they are. Flick has 7 strong songs, the same as FTATR. At least half of FOTW is easily disposable and even more easily forgettable.
    Forgive me! I meant to put FOTS and not FOTW!

Have since corrected ;p
    Guns, Bedlam, Badlands, and the FOTS title track could have been contenders for hits as singles with proper videos. They were rebelling against their own fame and general hard rock/metal climate at the time, which didn’t help. By the time they got with the program it was 1985 and an uphill battle. Putting out a weird, excessive MTV time chunk requiring 5 song mini video movie for Fly was confusing and destined for limited airplay. But then they released WMW, one of their catchiest songs and with a fun/attention grabbing video, and things started their turn for the better.
    There’s some junk on it though. Personally I think stand up, danger, and a few others are really dull. It was the first ACDC record where you had to skip around
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: ruffstuff88There’s some junk on it though. Personally I think stand up, danger, and a few others are really dull. It was the first ACDC record where you had to skip around

Agreed. There were a few songs on FOTS that I skipped over when I wasn't in the mood for them, but even when it was new I found it difficult to get through an entire sitting of FOTW. By the end of side 1 I was usually done. Occasionally I'd start with side 2 just to ensure that I got to hear those songs every now and then. :)
    • Jan 9th 2019

I think FOTS is close to HTH in terms of quality, no problem. I love its sound, but imagine it with same production as HTH, to compare? Not every song is a 9 or 10 out of 10 but it's full of great songs.

FOTW too, OK not as strong across the whole disc, but again imagine that one with a really good production?

I'd say the band aren't so fond of that era because the album didn't sell comparatively as well, and they associate that with a 'fail' and forget how good the songs were. I mean, they've trashed FTATR before (for various reasons) and that's a fantastic album.
    Razors Edge tour had the best mix of material setlist wise. Only albums they didn't play from was Fly and Flick.
    It is true that when the Youngs first heard Mudhoneys raw, self-released debut Hard Rock Is For Girls they considered splitting up.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 10th 2019

Now this is just stupid. Simon Wright does an interview and then this becomes an internet headline:

AC/DC Reveal If They Hated Pearl Jam & Nirvana Success
    http://www.alternati...
    Posted By: Alex LebanonIt is true that when the Youngs first heard Mudhoneys raw, self-released debut Hard Rock Is For Girls they considered splitting up.

What?
    •  
    • Jan 11th 2019

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: Alex LebanonIt is true that when the Youngs first heard Mudhoneys raw, self-released debut Hard Rock Is For Girls they considered splitting up.

What?

Ah say, ah say, ah think that was a joke, ah said a JOKE, son.

/foghorn leghorn
    I saw Mudhoney in London in 1988 - enjoyed the gig a lot but can't say I thought I was looking at the future of rock n roll, they just seemed very very lofi and underground. Very much John the Baptist to Nirvana's Christ - paved the way but didn't really get rewarded for it. God-like figures within the grunge community, of course.