To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Posted By: ThankassDogs Of War is Evil Walks' little brother.

This. That little lick after the solo is basically DOW.

Also, IYWB practically the same riff as STT? Do what now??
    • AC/DC rock music: CarwynO
    • Jan 7th 2019

Posted By: Spellbound

Hahahah it 100% is. IYWB’s riff was recycled, simple as. Give them a listen. Don’t get the surprise here, it’s acdc.... Like it’s some absurd suggestion. I’m surprised people don’t mention it more often

Dogs of War is a fantastic track with some of my favorite guitar work in their recent stuff, but Evil Walks still kicks the shit out of it.
    Posted By: CarwynO

Hahahah it 100% is. IYWB’s riff was recycled, simple as. Give them a listen. Don’t get the surprise here, it’s acdc.... Like it’s some absurd suggestion. I’m surprised people don’t mention it more often

Play Ball’s finger picked bit is Hold Me Back.

IYWB’s arpeggio came from Ain’t no Fun.

ROB is just Nervous Shakedown mixed with She Likes Rock n Roll.

IYWB being Shoot to Thrill though? I don’t hear it at all.

Play Ball’s finger picked bit is Hold Me Back.

IYWB’s arpeggio came from Ain’t no Fun.

ROB is just Nervous Shakedown mixed with She Likes Rock n Roll.

IYWB being Shoot to Thrill though? I don’t hear it at all.
    This is one of those subjects that I could attempt to write an essay on, but, instead, I'll just put some stuff out there. In reality, yes, ACDC reuses some stuff. Is it always obvious? No, the only two obvious comparisons I can make are Anything Goes with RTBA and HMB with CSS. I don't hear STT at all with IYWB although they share the same chords. In that case, FOTW is the same, too. Most of ACDC's songs sound different, riff-wise and melody-wise.
    • Jan 7th 2019 edited

“Similarly, on If You Want Blood (You’ve Got It), the best song on Highway To Hell nobody usually mentions, he sounds truly vitriolic, screaming about ‘the shit that they toss to you’ – who’s tossing this shit? We never find out – over a riff so spine‑tingling, AC/DC recycled it a year later on Shoot To Thrill. When the band played this song at the 2003 Hammersmith show,” If I recall, it was this article that I first came across the comparison, and I had the same reaction as everyone here. Seemed like such an arbitrary comparison to draw, but I gave both a listen and I could hear it. Not the songs as a whole; purely the solid riffs. Or riff. Take everything else away, vocals, drums, bass; it’s definitely there. Even found an old forum on here discussing it, or randomly putting the two songs head to head.

https://www.louderso...
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 7th 2019

There's a massive difference between the same chords, patterns, techniques being used and one riff being a copy of the other. I can only think of a few which actually sound like actually re-hashing or re-using an idea - examples being:

Have A Drink On Me's lick and that of Rock n Roll Dream - but it's only one lick and you soon forget

Basic chord change in Ballbreaker and Damned - but totally different tempos

I don't hear much similarity at all in the other ones suggested above, especially in terms of the feel and rhythm of the riffs, but each to their own!
    You can sing the verses of hard as a rock to lets get it up and vice versa. Try it, it’s fun!
    I hear bits of STT in Damnation

STT is a recyled riff of IYWB? Sorry, but music doesn't seem to be your forte. Either that or your out of your mind.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 8th 2019

STT and IYWB both use A,G and D chords in a staccato way. But in a totally different progression.

EW and DOW uses almost the same chords and progression in the chorus. Also the bv's have the same bravado.

Play Ball is STP riff in reverse.

Btw; i don't see the similarity between CSS and HMB..
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Cire67
    • Jan 8th 2019

I just want some new AC/DC tracks. I’ve never heard an AC/DC song I didn’t like to some degree...some I love and some love a lot less. But, the way I usually listen to them is a complete discography playlist on shuffle, and I rarely skip a song. As long as it’s AC/DC, I’ll be fine with it. At this point, we should be happy with anything we can get from the band because they aren’t getting any younger and neither are we as fans.
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: Cire67just want some new AC/DC tracks. I’ve never heard an AC/DC song I didn’t like to some degree...some I love and some love a lot less. But, the way I usually listen to them is a complete discography playlist on shuffle, and I rarely skip a song. As long as it’s AC/DC, I’ll be fine with it. At this point, we should be happy with anything we can get from the band because they aren’t getting any younger and neither are we as fans.

Exactly the same as me on pretty much all points.

I hardly ever listen to a whole album, though have done a lot with RoB as I find it's a great one to hear start to finish and there's little that's dull about it. But I have an audio-player with most of the albums and lots of live / bootleg stuff, on random play. It's great for the gym or when wandering around in town.
    Rock or bust sound. It had great production. Would love some BJ lyrics in there.
    Remember back in 2014, when everyone and their grandma thought for sure that ROB was going to be Black Ice part 2?

How soon we forget.
    I'd love to see the lads go for a Flick Of The Switch sound. I love the rawness of that album, outside of Back In Black it's my favourite Brian era AC/DC album. I thought Rock or Bust was a solid effort and I actually enjoy that album so I'd be cool with a ROB PT2. Although for some unknown reason I have the feeling this new album will be a cross/mix between the Stiff Upper Lip sound and the Rock or Bust sound, hopefully with improved lyrics. Either way I'm just simply happy that they're releasing an album at their age and at this stage of their career. I think it will be a solid album, Angus is a pro and he won't let the fans, the band or himself down. This is for Malcolm so Angus will want to make his brother proud. It's a special time to be an AC/DC fan.
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: Brads AC/DCIt's a special time to be an AC/DC fan.

Yes!

I'm sure there will be some great moments, whatever it is we're about to receive...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: Brads AC/DCI'd love to see the lads go for a Flick Of The Switch sound.

Well, this is somewhere that the band and its more hardcore fans find themselves in fundamental disagreement. I can't think of a single aspect of that album the band would wish to recapture, except maybe for the aspect of being around 35 years younger.
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCIt's a special time to be an AC/DC fan.

Yes!

I'm sure there will be some great moments, whatever it is we're about to receive...

Yes there will be some great moments, I have no doubts about that at all.
    Posted By: Briany
    Posted By: Brads AC/DCI'd love to see the lads go for a Flick Of The Switch sound.

Well, this is somewhere that the band and its more hardcore fans find themselves in fundamental disagreement. I can't think of a single aspect of that album the band would wish to recapture, except maybe for the aspect of being around 35 years younger.

I love the sound of Flick, it's a great album. Yes I think for whatever reason they (the band) never really were impressed with their efforts on Flick. It's not unusual though for bands to not be fond of certain songs and albums that they've done that the fans absolutely love. That doesn't mean it wasn't a great album or song it just means for whatever reason it didn't resonate with the band. To be honest though, I can see this new album having more of a Stiff Upper Lip sound to it with maybe a bit of cross over with the Rock or Bust sound. I liked both of those albums so I'd be really happy if that were the case, they just need to improve the lyrics. I'm confident that at the very least we will have a solid AC/DC album but that of course will be open to interpretation and taste.
    • AC/DC rock music: fdevil
    • Jan 8th 2019

maybe Angus producing with Fraser helping ?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Jan 8th 2019 edited

I expect nothing, so there will be no dissapointment...

But i hope for Brian on the pen, tonewise i could live with the RoB production and that's most likely.

I also hope for max. 10 tracks , but a mix between 3:30 songs and 5:00 min. stomper.
    Start with a song which builds up slowly (like Live Wire, Riff Raff, FTATR, Fly on the wall, TS)

Gimme a bit of atmosphere of the good old days, just a little bit...

Come on boys, ONE MORE FUCKIN' TIME!!!
    Jem, i really tried to S.F.C. ,but i'm only human man...
    Brian on the pen?

The pipe dream that never ends.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Jan 8th 2019

An ACDC Album in 2019 after all that's happened is good enough for me.
    Will the new album feature "rock the rock"?
    Posted By: stuhiltonWill the new album feature "rock the rock"?

No. It wasn't written by A. Young.
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: 900There's a massive difference between the same chords, patterns, techniques being used and one riff being a copy of the other. I can only think of a few which actually sound like actually re-hashing or re-using an idea - examples being:

Have A Drink On Me's lick and that of Rock n Roll Dream - but it's only one lick and you soon forget

Basic chord change in Ballbreaker and Damned - but totally different tempos

I don't hear much similarity at all in the other ones suggested above, especially in terms of the feel and rhythm of the riffs, but each to their own!

Satellite Blues also has the same opening drum beats in it found in You Shook Me All Night Long.
    I don't expect anything in particular. I have never predicted what an AC/DC will sound like. Each album is usually a reaction to the previous album if anything. But with the current circumstances, I am not sure what will be the "framework" of the album and sound if in fact Malcolm recordings are being used and there is a last hurrah vibe. All I can say is, I hope it is in fact an album.
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: CarwynOSatellite Blues also has the same opening drum beats in it found in You Shook Me All Night Long.

So does COD, but it's such a common beat, it's like saying more than one song uses A-C-D.

One thing I did find interesting though, part of the BIB riff sounds strangely similar to the end of a Motorhead song!
    what new album? have i missed summin
    Posted By: uaintgotthegutswhat new album? have i missed summin
    I’m just gonna go with yes.
    Posted By: 900So does COD, but it's such a common beat,

The high-hat is tighter on C.O.D. though.

• Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permThe high-hat is tighter on C.O.D. though.

Yeah I was going to do a post on the FTATR hat after seeing that link Meanstreak posted where Mal expressed his love of a loose hat compared to a closed one. It was a strange decision, I assume it was a Mutt thing, rather than Rudd's choice?
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jan 8th 2019

A more developed ROB would Be great
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permThe high-hat is tighter on C.O.D. though.

Yeah I was going to do a post on the FTATR hat after seeing that link Meanstreak posted where Mal expressed his love of a loose hat compared to a closed one. It was a strange decision, I assume it was a Mutt thing, rather than Rudd's choice?
    Indeed probably a Mutt thing but then again; on HTH and BIB the hi hat was much more loose and had more swing.
    Is that you playing COD, mutt langes perm?
    If it is an album whose playing bass ?
    •  
    • Jan 9th 2019

Posted By: ToonarmysaluteyouIf it is an album whose playing bass ?
    I think the bassist.
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: ToonarmysaluteyouIf it is an album whose playing bass ?
    I think the bassist.

Nice sarcastic answer to a very interesting question