To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 5th 2019 edited

Assuming it's a normal album (I'm still not convinced, hoping it is though), what do you anticipate?

I envisage a continuation of the BoB sound / style, with more variation than RoB, perhaps more like BI in terms of the range of songs. I'm not being negative (and I know not everyone loves RoB), but I don't expect it to be as good as the last album. It all seemed to happen so fast, I'm just not sure they'll manage that many lively, entertaining tracks... There could be a few stodgier ones as per side B of SUL.

Song length, arrangements, solos - likely as per the last couple of records, no major change (please surprise us, Ang!) Brian... despite age he'll still sound strong in most of his register, but will be interesting to hear what he can still manage in the upper range, and whether BoB / Fraser fuck about with effects again. Will Brian's vocal tone retain the transformation we've had since BI? I hope so. He's had a break, so why not?

I'm grateful for anything, obviously, but it would seem unfair to expect something too amazing I think?
    Guest spot from Stormzy.

Failing that - I think you're spot on 900 - a case of evolution not revolution.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 5th 2019

Pretty much what you said, 900. More of a RoB/ BI vibe. But in a ideal world i would wish for a FOTW guitar tone with BUYV style arrangements and some TRE style solos.

Also depends on the producer. I've heard enough of BoB. Jack White could maybe do some magic.
    I hope it will be a pleasant surprise.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 5th 2019

What new album? If there is one coming, then not much. On the other hand, who knows.
    At this point, we have no clue as to if there is an album. They could have been recording bonus tracks or something. People are making a lot of assumptions here.
    Thinking about this a bit more, it did seem that - quite surprisingly - on RoB Angus allowed a greater range of influences in - a touch of Springsteen, a fair bit of Led Zep - so I guess it's possible they might broaden their influences still more on a new record if there's other stuff Angus want to try.
    •  
    • Jan 5th 2019

The first word in the OP was "assuming".
    •  
    • Jan 5th 2019

Posted By: ThankassThe first word in the OP was "assuming".

Yep, with stress on "it's a". As opposed to "if any". My bro.
    •  
    • Jan 5th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonThinking about this a bit more, it did seem that - quite surprisingly - on RoB Angus allowed a greater range of influences in - a touch of Springsteen, a fair bit of Led Zep - so I guess it's possible they might broaden their influences still more on a new record if there's other stuff Angus want to try.

You sure about these instances of immediate influence? Is it not that by now it's all a complete mishmash of interweaving cross influences? Similarities are inevitable even if one artist never heard the next one's product, because of the way the musical system and psyche is constructed. Yet in this limited and unsophisticated rock genre, it's all more simplified, hence similarities will occur even if the artists are directly isolated from one another.
    I hear what you're saying - its a question of degrees. I guess previously AC/DC managed to really only sound like themselves (or the same influences they've had since the beginning) but on RoB I heard a Led Zep influence very clearly in a couple of songs - e.g. Emission Control and Rock the House. I could be totally wrong, but I think they would have been too close to Zep for Malcolm's tastes.
    •  
    • Jan 5th 2019

Posted By: marcinha
    Posted By: ThankassThe first word in the OP was "assuming".

Yep, with stress on "it's a". As opposed to "if any". My bro.
    It was a reaction on micahcarey who said people are making a lot of assumptions here. I think this thread is about the possibilities if this
    assumption of a new album is presumed to be true.
    •  
    • Jan 5th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonI hear what you're saying - its a question of degrees. I guess previously AC/DC managed to really only sound like themselves (or the same influences they've had since the beginning) but on RoB I heard a Led Zep influence very clearly in a couple of songs - e.g. Emission Control and Rock the House. I could be totally wrong, but I think they would have been too close to Zep for Malcolm's tastes.
    Agree. On RoB it was the first time it really came through. Before RoB it was never a thing of notice. For me that is.
    ROB II
    • Jan 5th 2019 edited

As Thankass said, it's an assumption - I said I wasn't even sure it will be a normal, full album, but I hope to fuck it is, after all this.

Like Alex said, there was a variation and display of direct influence on ROB that was quite a surprise. Rock The House directly tips its hat to TWO Led Zep songs - Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog. It was if as Angus was let off his leash and able to do what he might not have got away with previously.

To me it wasn't just Angus using an influence, it was a direct tribute, like he absolutely wanted to show his appreciation for Zep. It's true that many things in rock can come out subconsciously influenced by other songs, or similar just by chance within simple musical ideas....but something like Rock The House appears to go beyond such possibilities.
    i want less compression
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jan 5th 2019

No Bob Please. Enough of Fast Food kind of production
    I expect the return of Mutt.
    We just want it to sound like AC/DC.The return of Mutt would be great to.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 5th 2019

Very happy with BOB. Definitely do not want Lange.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Jan 5th 2019

Harry vanda and son will take over the production duties. The opening track will have a mantovani style arrangement and the closing song on side one will be a duet between wAxl and Beano.
    Angus will finally get to do that classical guitar solo piece hes been perfecting for 30 years. The drums will sound massive
    The album will be more in the direction of Flash and the Pan.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Jan 5th 2019

I think they have re-recorded both "Can I Sit Next Toy You, Girl" and "Rockin' In The Parlour" for the new release!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Belford74
    • Jan 5th 2019

I think it's going to blow the walls off... Angus is one of most driven and focused musicians out there. He will ensure that the album is one that both of his big brothers would be proud of.He has never let me down and I don't expect him to start now. Can't fucking wait.
    Posted By: Belford74I think it's going to blow the walls off... Angus is one of most driven and focused musicians out there. He will ensure that the album is one that both of his big brothers would be proud of.He has never let me down and I don't expect him to start now. Can't fucking wait.

Thumbs up!
    • Jan 5th 2019

That's the spirit, Belford74!
    • AC/DC rock music: fdevil
    • Jan 5th 2019

Fraser producing...at last.
    I just hope it's not BI or ROB cast offs. We need a class album. More Killer than filler.
    Hoping for ROB PT II but that same level of energy 4 years in may not be there.
    • Jan 5th 2019

Agree, Flattus.
    If it's BOB giving us ROB part 2 they can pretty much can it. The Rock N Roll is watered out enough already.
    Whatever comes from it, I'd love to see a notch more speed on the album tracks. If you look at Rock or Bust it's played slightly faster live and sounds so much better, the same goes for Rock n Roll Train etc, if we are going for recent albums.

I'd love to see a new 8-10 minute Angus (LTBR) type fresh solo of him going nuts.
    I am pretty happy that we will get something, and if you are a fan of AC/DC i am shocked if you dont agree.
    I want the greatest RNR band to go out with a bang, not a wimper and believe me...RoB was a fuckin' wimper. But sure, it's still better than most stuff out there.
    Posted By: Badlands66I want the greatest RNR band to go out with a bang, not a wimper and believe me...RoB was a fuckin' wimper. But sure, it's still better than most stuff out there.
    I wouldn't call it a wimper. If this makes any sense, it did feel very artificial and formulaic, but the songs hadn't been that consistently good since Flick IMO. Still, nothing amazing stuck out..
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: Badlands66I want the greatest RNR band to go out with a bang, not a wimper and believe me...RoB was a fuckin' wimper. But sure, it's still better than most stuff out there.
    I wouldn't call it a wimper. If this makes any sense, it did feel very artificial and formulaic, but the songs hadn't been that consistently good since Flick IMO. Still, nothing amazing stuck out..

Both Fly and Video are miles better than RoB...you could probably add Ballbreaker to that list as well.
    ROB is quick, fun, and upbeat. They have been lacking that for years.
    Posted By: ianbigmacI just hope it's not BI or ROB cast offs. We need a class album. More Killer than filler.

Not to stir up a whole thing but I think ROB was the product of old ideas and riffs put to work. This is not a criticism of the album I vividly remember Angus saying that he and Mal were always playing around with old ideas like most musicians do
    ROB had a great fun party tone wth some crackerjack tunes. My only issue with ROB is that the lyrics were finally too dense to ignore. But I loved the tempo and atmosphere of the record.

It was also better than most of AC/DC's recent output. It's a bit 2-D but it had an energy and vigour sorely missing on BI.
    I would say I want longer solos, but after I heard ROB I can conclude that those times are long gone.

I expect another really good few singles, and once again a bunch of tunes that many will say should have been more developed - Especially if Brendan O Brien is the producer again......which he will be.
    Music Production - Brendan O'Brien Music Production Techniques Explained

•  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Jan 5th 2019

I am looking forward to hearing how that new guy Brian sounds.... :)
    If Angus was smart about this, he's collaborate with Brian on the lyrics. And flesh out the arrangements more — no more Let's Play Ball nonsense.

But I doubt it.

I expect Rock Or Bust 2. Not great but given where the band is at in their lives it will be a memorable swansong all the same.
    I honestly believe it will lean more towards a stiff upper lip vibe and tone
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

It was also better than most of AC/DC's recent output. It's a bit 2-D but it had an energy and vigour sorely missing on BI.

But then BI offered more diversity as well, it didn't get stale as quick as RoB (for me at least) plus BI offered maybe stronger individual tracks
    in RNR Train and Money Made.
    • Jan 6th 2019

Posted By: flattusmaximusROB is quick, fun, and upbeat. They have been lacking that for years.

Posted By: Alex LebanonIt was also better than most of AC/DC's recent output. It's a bit 2-D but it had an energy and vigour sorely missing on BI.

Posted By: 42_39_56If Angus was smart about this, he's collaborate with Brian on the lyrics.

Posted By: El3ment380I would say I want longer solos, but after I heard ROB I can conclude that those times are long gone.

I have similar thoughts to these comments.

It's an intriguing time, waiting to find out.

And what of the Mal parts rumour? Might that turn out to be completely false?
    I expect some unfinished Mal stuff like "Let it loose" recorded over the years with a couple of new tracks with stevie. on drums the rudd. one bluesy track. sound will be like ROB. no synthesizers or piano please. 15 tracks. The BluRay Special Edition will include "Live at Wrigley" plus "Live in Düsseldorf The Bonus Gig with Axl", Thank you.
    • AC/DC rock music: CarwynO
    • Jan 6th 2019 edited

It’ll be Rock or Bust.2. They need a new producer, simple as. Not mutt Lange either. Lange deals with big anthem tunes. Highway to Hell and BiB were polished,but the songs were so good they needed that commercial sound to them that Lange provided to be big. I doubt we’ll be hearing another back in Black riff, You Shook Me hit, or highway to Hell, so there’s no point having Lange involved. We saw this with For Those About to Rock; with the exception of the title track, there were no big anthems on it and Lange’s production did little to compliment the songs. Which is why you had a more raw and modest sound to the next album, FlickotS and this is the direction they need to go again.
    To be realistic, the Ballbreaker album sound would do them good. Bit heavier to the last 3 albums, maybe still encompassing the inevitable blues rock, with hard hitting drums, raw n rough vocals. Ballbreaker sound is the heaviness fans want to hear again; with some better backing vocals this time, it’d be a breath of fresh air after BI (which was good) and RoB. Overall, I expect an okay listen, Rob 2, & catchy songs. But to be anything more, a collaboration of lyrics between Angus and Brian maybe, less production on the vocals, less blues going on, more raw sound, longer solos and bit of dynamic to it, and no songs with ‘rock n roll...’ in their titles..
    A release date before Phil goes off the rails again
    Will there be any AC/DC songs not credited to Mal for first time ever!