To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jan 1st 2019

Happy new year!
    In my mild hangover, I started wondering why didn't George take the bass when Mark Evans was thrown out? He allegedly played some songs on Powerage and you could notice the difference of styles on some tracks. The basslines are great on every song on that album anyways.
    So why didn't George become a permanent member?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 1st 2019

Maybe he didn't want to tour. Maybe he wasn't a generally good fit. Maybe he didn't want to.
    This is only a guess but maybe George thought his role was best as a mentor for Malcolm & Angus and to help the band produce records for Albert Productions. He may have thought that being in the band as a full time member wasn't his role and/or place for the band as maybe he felt he was better off as a mentor & producer.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Jan 1st 2019

George took care of the bass on the entire High Voltage and T.N.T. - and partly on Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.
    But not even when the band lacked a bass player live - before Mark Evans - did he stepped up on the stage. Instead Malcolm played the bass on the concerts.
    Obviously, George liked being in the background as a songwriter, bass player, mentor, producer, advisor, etc. - but he wanted his little brothers to stand in the spotlight.
    Personally, I would loved if George had wanted to be a permanent member of the band, but you can only respect his choice.
    It was an era when you were considered ancient if you were over 25. (I know Bon was older, too, but that was later) I'm sure the gig was his if he wanted it but it feels like George always put the band first and realised his presence would maybe confuse the simplicity of this new entity.
    Yes, and he probably thought that he would produce the band longer than actually was the case. The band reluctantly gave up George producing them when Eddie Kramer first was assigned this role, and then Mutt Lange, when the collaboration with Kramer failed.
    I feel like it would’ve been world war three if George was constantly on a tour bus with them as a band member.
    Bassline on High Voltage is fucking fantastic, so I suppose I'm glad he did the in studio bass work for the earlier stuff. Do feel bad for Mark, though, he's my number 1 choice for bass on the new album if Cliff can't/won't come back.
    I’d say he was just happy to be behind the desk making it all happen.
    The really got it right with getting cliff into the band.
    Serious player. When him and Phil locked in together that was it. They followed Malcolm and created the best Rhythm section that rock n roll has ever seen. Cliff was a serious contributor to that
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Jan 1st 2019 edited

AC/DC 75-77 was perfect in my world, and it's hard to improve something that's perfect...
    Personally, I prefer George and Mark's slightly more swinging style but no one can deny that Cliff was a good choice. He is rock solid.
    Posted By: sodaAC/DC 75-77 was perfect in my world, and it's hard to improve something that's perfect...
    Personally, I prefer George and Mark's slightly more swinging style but no one can deny that Cliff was a good choice. He is rock solid.

I agree with this comment 100%. Cliff was great but Mark did nothing wrong other than get on the wrong side of one of the Young brothers. The period of 1975 - 77 was a golden period in the bands history and that should not be forgotten.
    • AC/DC rock music: Angus12345
    • Jan 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    Posted By: sodaAC/DC 75-77 was perfect in my world, and it's hard to improve something that's perfect...

I agree with this comment 100%. Cliff was great but Mark did nothing wrong other than get on the wrong side of one of the Young brothers. The period of 1975 - 77 was a golden period in the bands history and that should not be forgotten.

Mark's bass play would not have fit the direction of the band after Brian joined. The band changed from boogie woogie type rock to real hard hard. Mark's play is a "bouncy" type bass whereas Cliff's is more of a driving rock bass play.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jan 3rd 2019

Posted By: Angus12345
    Posted By: Brads AC/DC

Mark's bass play would not have fit the direction of the band after Brian joined. The band changed from boogie woogie type rock to real hard hard. Mark's play is a "bouncy" type bass whereas Cliff's is more of a driving rock bass play.

I highly doubt Mal and Angus were looking for a bassist that would fit with Brian's style in 1977...
    That is not what I said. My comment was not about the Young's timing, it was about the different style of bass play. I know, '77 was before '80.