To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Lots of good records out but this was head and shoulders my favourite song/album/band of year - and from Australia too!

Blackberry Smoke Find a Light
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Dec 26th 2018

Anthem of the Peaceful Army by Greta Van Fleet.
    Judas Priest - Firepower
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gentox66
    • Dec 26th 2018

Judas Priest's Firepower
    FI-YAH POW-AH
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Dec 26th 2018

Judas Priest- Firepower
    I didn’t pay attention to any new music so Motörhead’s Inferno is what I’ve listened to most this year.
    For myself, 2018 will always be the year of Ghost's Prequelle:

Either Firepower by Judas Priest or I Loved You At Your Darkest by Behemoth
    Didn't listen to an album as intensively that I thought it was best music of the year. As of late, I enjoyed tunes from the newly released album by Electric Boys. Not bad:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Dec 26th 2018

• AC/DC rock music: Mal
    • Dec 26th 2018

Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats.
    Their album "Wasteland" does it for me.
    Great down & dirty grooves that could be from another time.
    Judas Priest’s Firepower, fantastic album
    Clutch. Book of Bad Decisions. Hands down.
    • AC/DC rock music: peluso8
    • Dec 27th 2018

Ted Nugent’s The Music Made Me Do It

City of Thieves’ Beast Reality and Dynamite’s Big Bang are honorable mentions.
    • AC/DC rock music: Sellen
    • Dec 27th 2018

Posted By: DustDevilAnthem of the Peaceful Army by Greta Van Fleet.

this
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: dt
    • Dec 27th 2018

GVF - Anthem of the Peaceful Army
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Dec 28th 2018

Posted By: MalUncle Acid And The Deadbeats.
    Their album "Wasteland" does it for me.
    Great down & dirty grooves that could be from another time.

My choice too!
    Posted By: dtGVF - Anthem of the Peaceful Army

I agree
    Awesome album , incredible band
    GVF sounds a bit too much like Zeppelin. They've got some good stuff, but they're trying way too hard to capture that iconic sound. All that does for them is produce criticism. It's nice to see a modern rock band, though.

Would it even be possible to create a "new sound", though? Most of the well known rock bands of the late 60's- late 80's have distinct sounds, whether it be ACDC, Van Halen, Queen, Zeppelin, Sabbath, GNR, etc.. so would it be possible to make a new rock sound into something popular?
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Dec 29th 2018 edited

The Baboon Show - Radio Rebelde LP

The Interrupters ‎– Fight The Good Fight LP

Otherwise, it's more new EP's than LP's that are released in my world of punk rock.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: JW147
    • Dec 29th 2018

Khruangbin- Con todo el mundo
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin.

Would it even be possible to create a "new sound", though? Most of the well known rock bands of the late 60's- late 80's have distinct sounds, whether it be ACDC, Van Halen, Queen, Zeppelin, Sabbath, GNR, etc.. so would it be possible to make a new rock sound into something popular?

I still maintain the 21 century has only produced one great - as opposed to good or very good - rock band, namely the White Stripes. They managed to hark back to something thrilling, elemental and primal without being derivative - they made it their own. But it's a very hard balance to strike -and it helps to have songs of the calibre of Seven Nation Army .
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Dec 29th 2018

LOL.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Dec 29th 2018 edited

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinGVF sounds a bit too much like Zeppelin. They've got some good stuff, but they're trying way too hard to capture that iconic sound. All that does for them is produce criticism. It's nice to see a modern rock band, though.

Penguin, the original question was pretty straight forward.

I'd go with Judas Priest Firepower for hard rock (with Ghost Prequelle the runner up).

For "other" category I find myself really enjoying Snow Patrol's Wildness LP. It's one I consistently go back to.
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinGVF sounds a bit too much like Zeppelin. They've got some good stuff, but they're trying way too hard to capture that iconic sound. All that does for them is produce criticism. It's nice to see a modern rock band, though.

Penguin, the original question was pretty straight forward.

I'd go with Judas Priest Firepower for hard rock (with Ghost Prequelle the runner up).

For "other" category I find myself really enjoying Snow Patrol's Wildness LP. It's one I consistently go back to.

The Snow Patrol album is very good. The shit I've taken for owning a couple of their albums and Coldplay, too... :)

Re: GVF, they sound a bit too respectful, too heritage, like they're expecting to get their homework marked by their elders. But they've got the talent to do something great if they throw off the shackles of the past a bit more...definitely promising.
    Judas Priest - firepower
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Dec 30th 2018

The Struts Young & Dangerous
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Dec 30th 2018

I think I have enjoyed the GVF record the most this year. Brian Fallon’s second solo album Sleepwalkers was not far behind.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Dec 30th 2018 edited

THIS IS EGGLAND...THE LOVELY EGGS

•  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Dec 30th 2018

Lead Into Gold - The Sun Behind The Sun

paul barker (ex-ministry/Revco/etc.) makes this brilliant piece of slow, heavy as fuck, electronic based brilliance.
    even uses a few old drum samples from the 80's for good measure :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Dec 30th 2018

also im sure Guided By Voices released a great album or 2 this year as well, as is the case with every year!
    • AC/DC rock music: vambo
    • Dec 31st 2018

Erika Wennerstrom - Sweet Unknown

Richard Ashcroft - Natural Rebel

and a shout out to Quaker City Night Hawks’ La Astronauta album, even though it came out in 2016, I only discovered it this year!