To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

It's the sound of someone dropping a door of the heaviest teak on your nut.
    It makes FOTS sound like the Jason Donovan Christmas Album.
    The guitars are brutally angry, ragged and squall-like, almost atonal in a Sonic Youth or Swans way but still rock n roll.
    Best of all the weird, disembodied way the vocals are recorded across its parent album actually works for this song - Brian sounds like a deranged shipwrecked sailor screaming up to the heavens from the bottom of a barrel of cheap rum.

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Dec 12th 2018 edited

Fucking excellent song, just a fuckton of ATTITUDE in those intro chords - and in everything in the whole song.

And I agree the vocal mix actually really works well on this song.

Another 'heaviest moment' is the intro to Evil Walks!
    I don't think it's their heaviest moment, but it does come from their "heaviest" era.
    Heaviest? Doesn’t come close to half the songs off let there be rock in my opinion
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Dec 12th 2018

One of my favorite intros of any song.
    Should have released this as the 1st single instead of the plodding Danger. Again, I don't know what the hell Atlantic Records was thinking? You're trying to recapture the fans excitement, after the lackluster performance of FOTS (commercially speaking), and you release Danger as your opening salvo???

As far as those FOTW videos are concerned, the only good thing is the footage of the band's performance. And the lighting.
    Yeah, the lighting's good too.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Dec 12th 2018

Apart from LTBR, the guitar tone never was as badass as on FOTW. I think even good ol Dave has to admit his defeat in that.
    Danger blows

Heaviest moment by far is Inject The Venom. So ballsy
    • Dec 12th 2018

Posted By: mutt_langes_permShould have released this as the 1st single instead of the plodding Danger. Again, I don't know what the hell Atlantic Records was thinking? You're trying to recapture the fans excitement, after the lackluster performance of FOTS (commercially speaking), and you release Danger as your opening salvo???

Danger's cool!

I guess they felt it could be an actual single - as in, radio play. Certainly in the UK it got a bit of exposure, though can't remember if I actually heard it on the radio.

Song needs a big remix, bring the power of it out. There are some fantastic guitars and vocals on there (and not forgetting your old favourite on drums!)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • Dec 12th 2018

Agree.
    Heaviest moment. I mean, if you mean heavy, in a a real heavy sense of hitting and dragging musical density, is FTATR, the song. This song, to me, is more aggressive and rugged.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Dec 12th 2018

For me their heaviest moment is probably the intro of Playing With Girls. It always hits me like brick in the face out of the speakers whenever I play it. Another one that I would consider one of their heaviest is probably Overdose. What a fucking great track.
    It's an incredibly nasty sounding song, but in a different way than something like "Go Down." Brian's growling and the guitars are, too, and it's got one hell of a chorus. I gotta say, though, that it doesn't feel like an ACDC album. Every time I hear it, it doesn't give me an ACDC feeling, but instead I can't get those goddamn MTV vidoes out of my head.

TRE is not really heavy, just kinda dark sounding. I consider heavy to be loud and hard hitting, so there are a lot of possible choices. FTATR is definitely one of them.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Dec 12th 2018

Ballbreaker the Song Is really Heavy! Playing With Girls, LTBR, Overdose, WAOY etc
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Dec 12th 2018

I would add Dogs Of War riffs
    Playing With Girls is the heaviest song ever recorded by the band. It’s the one song Simon did 100% right.
    Posted By: rideon77I would add Dogs Of War riffs

The intro sounds way too thin. Imagine Dogs of War with a Mutt Lange Inject The Venom type production. Now that would have sounded HEAVY.
    Conclusion: AC/DC are a heavy fucking band!!!!!
    Fly On The Wall is a fucking great song. Love it.

Also, there was a thread on the forum a few years ago discussing heaviness in AC/DC's music, and every person who posted seemed to have a different definition of "heavy". It was pretty funny. I wonder if that will happen here.
    Posted By: ShootToThrillFly On The Wall is a fucking great song. Love it.

Also, there was a thread on the forum a few years ago discussing heaviness in AC/DC's music, and every person who posted seemed to have a different definition of "heavy". It was pretty funny. I wonder if that will happen here.
    I feel like people mix up the terms "heavy" and "metal", at least to my understanding. I thought metal was characterized by darker, "scarier" sounds, while heaviness is characterized by fast tempos, loud volume, and general intensity.

ACDC have only been metal once in their career (TRE song), and it was still relatively tame. ACDC have been heavy quite a few times, but it was still entirely rock n roll based. They have never been heavy metal.

Then you come across the difference between "heavy" and "hard". I think they're essentially two relatively similar extremes of the same sound.
    I fucking LOVE the this song, one of my favorite Brian era tracks. Absolutely smashing title tune.

Damn shame it didn't make it past those 2 tours it appeared on.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Dec 12th 2018

You're all wrong.
    It's not angry, it's just ... unintelligible.
    And Simon is horrible.
    STP and SYF at least were good songs that they simply fucked up. Fly is just .... Meh.
    How the brilliant Flick of the Switch could lead to this mess is beyond comprehension.
    Posted By: ruffstuff88Danger blows

ITV is a monster to be sure but for me the pristine and glossy production mitigates against its power. Before that venom can be injected, filthy old FOTW has fucked it up the arse and given it rabies :)
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

ITV is a monster to be sure but for me the pristine and glossy production mitigates against its power. Before that venom can be injected, filthy old FOTW has fucked it up the arse and given it rabies :)
    The production might be very clean and heavily... well.. overproduced.. but I would hardly call it glossy and pristine; those words fit much better with TRE. Big fan of the FTATR production, though I'm very glad it didn't last for longer than one album. It would not work well at all with Flick.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

The production might be very clean and heavily... well.. overproduced.. but I would hardly call it glossy and pristine; those words fit much better with TRE. Big fan of the FTATR production, though I'm very glad it didn't last for longer than one album. It would not work well at all with Flick.

The production on FTATR is so pin-sharp clean you could eat your lunch off it. It’s the sound of a good idea (a widescreen, FM radio-friendly makeover, basically) pushed too far. While I enjoy certain songs, the-back to-basics approach on Flick was 100 percent the right decision, regardless of the sales drop-off.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

The production on FTATR is so pin-sharp clean you could eat your lunch off it. It’s the sound of a good idea (a widescreen, FM radio-friendly makeover, basically) pushed too far. While I enjoy certain songs, the-back to-basics approach on Flick was 100 percent the right decision, regardless of the sales drop-off.
    I definitely agree that Flick's production was a good idea, but FTATR just has a certain punch in its production that I just fucking love. It's clean, yeah, but the grit and intensity is still there for me. Mostly, that's due to Brian's voice and the songwriting.
    •  
    • Dec 13th 2018

FTATR mainy sounds heavy due to the loud snare and cymbals and Malcolm's tone.
    FTATR mainly sounds heavy because of Angus’ playing and Cliff’s bass tone.

OK, there! We’ve covered everyone.
    The vocals/songwriting are there, but FTATR, FOTW, and TRE (title track excepted) aren't nearly as heavy as FOTS and Ballbreaker because the production is too slick, with lots of reverb, and emphasis on lead guitar and drums over rhythm guitar.

THESE are heavy:

Posted By: rideon77Ballbreaker the Song Is really Heavy! Playing With Girls, LTBR, Overdose, WAOY etc

Agreed, I might have to give it the annual spin to see if my tolerance/opinion of good ol' Fly has changed , if not back in the box for another year.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Dec 13th 2018

No.
    • Dec 13th 2018

Landslide, Bedlam, Walk All Over You, Beatin' Around The Bush....powerful heavy songs as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Dec 13th 2018

^^ Yessir Landslide fucking rocks.

Underrated, gut punching, balls out tune.

• AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Dec 13th 2018

The solo section in First Blood is one of my favourite heavy moments on Fly. For some reason that section reminds me of Deaf Forever by Motörhead?
    • Dec 13th 2018

Posted By: 71SGThe solo section in First Blood is one of my favourite heavy moments on Fly.

You can really hear / feel the energy. The feel of those two records after the Mutt stuff, it is different.
    Posted By: 900The feel of those two records after the Mutt stuff, it is different.

It's worse. Give Flick to Mutt and we have another masterpiece. Give Fly to Mutt and...well, I need to think about it.
    Posted By: BallToucher
    Posted By: 900The feel of those two records after the Mutt stuff, it is different.

It's worse. Give Flick to Mutt and we have another masterpiece. Give Fly to Mutt and...well, I need to think about it.

Nah, you’ve only to listen to those dreadful 1980s Def Leppard records to see that Mutt would’ve just polished all the rough, gnarley edges off Flick and Fly and it’s those edges that make those albums what they are. Now Steve Albini wouldve been interesting with his raw, stripped down approach...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Dec 13th 2018 edited

Posted By: Alex Lebanonthose dreadful 1980s Def Leppard records to see that Mutt would’ve just polished all the rough

It's obvious Mutt knew DC and Leppard were different animals and produced them accordingly.
    Posted By: BallToucher
    Posted By: Alex Lebanonthose dreadful 1980s Def Leppard records to see that Mutt would’ve just polished all the rough

It's obvious Mutt knew DC and Leppard were different animals and produced them accordingly.

Fair point, that's probably true, but still there was noticeably more polish and studio sheen on FTATR than BIB so every reason to believe he would've continued to push the band in that direction. And he was also seeking a songwriting credit on the next album, I believe.
    • Dec 13th 2018

Indeed - I'm not knocking Mutt or saying those records wouldn't have sounded great, but you'd also lose something, some of that immediacy.

The point about that First Blood solo triggered the thought... in that era Ang's solos sounded less constructed and more like single takes, and you can can really hear the energy. On a musical level, the more constructed (and at times probably studio-constructed from more than one take) solos are pretty awesome on the Mutt stuff, but the solos on some of the other album at times feel more 'alive'. On Fly and Flick that's very much the case, even if one or two solos aren't the most exciting musically.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Dec 13th 2018

FOTS IS a masterpiece. Lange would have ruined it just like he did with FTATR.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Dec 13th 2018 edited

It's really useless all this could off, would off bantering. We´ll never know.

FTATR sounds nothing like the Deppard albums, that's a fact, and that's all we have to go with.

Mutt is a top notch producer, probably the best ever. I do think Flick would had benefited from a more thought out production. Stuff like Nervous Shakedown and Deep in the Hole, while great, need some polish.

Fly is different, though. Because I think the songs really "aren´t there", but the fuck-all production adds to its charm.
    I wonder which of the brothers came up with the Deep In The Hole riff. It's so gutsy and brutal. I guess, Malcolm.
    •  
    • Dec 13th 2018

Deep in the hole riff is the brutal brother of the, sweet sister, Money Honey riff.

This and Send for the man!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Dec 13th 2018

Posted By: JemFOTS IS a masterpiece. Lange would have ruined it just like he did with FTATR.
    THIS!
    Posted By: Rikha
    Posted By: JemFOTS IS a masterpiece. Lange would have ruined it just like he did with FTATR.
    THIS!

Of course Mutt would have ruined FOTS just like he did with FTATR. Just like he ruined HTH and BIB. Oh wait...
    •  
    • Dec 13th 2018

Then again; why would they have needed Mutt for FOTS seeing Y&Y&P was able to produce the first mix of FOTS with a BIB sound?!
    Posted By: 900(and not forgetting your old favourite on drums!)

If I didn't know any better 900, it's almost like you're trying to trigger me. :)

****Warning: I'm about to say something nice about Simon Wright****

When the main beat kicks in during the chorus of FOTW, for my money, that is one of Simon's greatest moments in AC/DC.
    It's just a simple driving beat, but man, does he ever nail it! Same thing goes for the beat during the 2nd verse. Love it.
    LOVE IT.