To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Nov 24th 2018 edited

When I finally read Mark Evans's book, there were some things that made me raise my eyebrows a bit extra.
    But first, I have to say that this is the best AC/DC-book  available on the market, not least because it is the only one written by a insider.
    Only books written by Phil Rudd or Angus Young could top this one, but that's not likely to happen...
    So, what was it that caught my attention the most?
    * Mostly how AC/DC wrote song material in the studio to their album's.
    Mal and/or Angus presented a riff or an idea to George. Then Mal and Angus sat on either side of George at a piano and the three made a song of the idea - with George at the wheel.
    Just one of many facts in the book that underlines George Young's huge importance to those AC/DC albums that I love most!
    And in honesty, songwriter credit should be Young/Young/Young/Scott on the early albums.
    * Mark Evans was only an observer at the recording of T.N.T. (my favorite album along with Let There Be Rock) while George Young handled all the bass  was also an interesting fact, even though I thought it was so.
    However, it changed over time and on Let There Be Rock - the world's best rock'n'roll album ever? - it was only Mark who handled the base, with some single exceptions.
    * I also learn'd that Love At First Feel and Cold Hearted Man were recorded at the same time - with Mark playin' the bass - in London. There have undoubtedly been a lot of different information about this, but that's the truth!

All in all, Mark Evans seems to be a very sympathetic man who has a realistic view of his own role in AC/DC's history, and it was very interesting to read his experiences of Bon, Mal, Angus and Phil - for good and for bad.
    The chapter about when he was forced to leave the band against his will was undeniably heartbreaking and made me think not so very high thoughts about the person Angus Young...
    Though, as Mark himself write's, if he was the right man for the job he would still have been the bass player of AC/DC.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Nov 24th 2018

I read the AC/DC portion of this book some time ago. Thankfully (sorry, Mark) AC/DC covers the lion's share of this bio and Mark knows we don't really care about the other parts of his life...

Anyway, yeah, it's impressive how spontaneous the songwriting process was back in those days. I suppose that's how it is when you're young, hungry and living in each others pockets. Great songs come together in an afternoon and are recorded at 2AM in the studio, after a gig in the locality. That's a kind of creative soup you can't make when band members only meet up to write by appointment, as is often the case when they later become successful and are living their own lives apart from one another.

I don't know why Angus Young need be singled out on the firing of Mark Evans. Malcolm appeared to be as complicit, and none of the other band members spoke up for Mark when it came to his sacking, either. Mark freely admits that he was less committed to the work than the Youngs were, and this may well have contributed to the rift that grew between them.
    I think George wanted to be a silent partner and it worked - he was worth a huge amount of cash when it was reported a few years ago
    • Nov 24th 2018 edited

Posted By: Briany
    I don't know why Angus Young need be singled out on the firing of Mark Evans. Malcolm appeared to be as complicit, and none of the other band members spoke up for Mark when it came to his sacking, either. Mark freely admits that he was less committed to the work than the Youngs were, and this may well have contributed to the rift that grew between them.

What I'm thinking of is the band meeting when Mark received the message. After working, living and sharing the same dream together for three years, Angus don't even say "I'm sorry", "thank you" or even "good bye" to Mark.
    As a matter of fact, he did not even look at Mark during the whole meeting.
    That was what I meant. As for the decision itself, everyone know's Mal always had the last word. But at least Mal spoke to Mark and tried to explain - and also gave him a ride to the airport the day after.
    He did at least behave like a fellow human being.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Nov 24th 2018

Posted By: soda

What I'm thinking of is the band meeting when Mark received the message. After working, living and sharing the same dream together for three years, Angus don't even say "I'm sorry", "thank you" or even "good bye" to Mark.
    That was what I meant. As for the decision itself, everyone know's Mal always had the last word. But at least he spoke to Mark and tried to explain - and also gave him a ride to the airport the day after.

I think Angus made his feelings known to Mark when he punched him in the face after that argument about whether or not Angus really had attended a Beatles concert as an adolescent.
    • Nov 24th 2018

That was what I meant. As for the decision itself, everyone know's Mal always had the last word. But at least he spoke to Mark and tried to explain - and also gave him a ride to the airport the day after.

I think Angus made his feelings known to Mark when he punched him in the face after that argument about whether or not Angus really had attended a Beatles concert as an adolescent.

Well, I think that punch in the face was much less painful - and was more well deserved - than Angus's behavior when it was time to say goodbye...
    It´s a very interesting book during a very creative time of the band. It was a great read. But he wasn´t there a long time. I am way more interested of the highs and lows of the 80´s.
    I have always had the feeling that AC/DC pays their "silent" partners well. How else do you explain the intense loyalty from those surrounding the band? The whole argument about Brian not getting songwriting credits after '88 falls into this category.

I'm sure he's paid well......
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Nov 25th 2018

Posted By: sodaOnly books written by Phil Rudd or Angus Young could top this one, but that's not likely to happen...

Brian should write a book about the band through his eyes, a man of literature that he is
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 25th 2018

That was what I meant. As for the decision itself, everyone know's Mal always had the last word. But at least Mal spoke to Mark and tried to explain - and also gave him a ride to the airport the day after.

you have seen angus on stage right?
    he is not human
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 25th 2018

Posted By: Jack B. NimbleI have always had the feeling that AC/DC pays their "silent" partners well. How else do you explain the intense loyalty from those surrounding the band? The whole argument about Brian not getting songwriting credits after '88 falls into this category.

I'm sure he's paid well......

they are probably the longest lasting manufactured rock group EVER!!!! - just how manufactured it all really is, is the big secret!