To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Given the recent talk in the IYWB thread I wondered...

I gotta go for a somewhat odd choice and say Live At The Atlantic Studios. There's just something about it, the intimacy, the few people in the audience, no studio trickery, Bon's comments between songs, just straight up real AC/DC.
    DVD: Circus Krone
    Album: Let There Be Rock (from bonfire)

Circus Krone because it not only has the classic lineup but because Brian sounds amazing and that setlist. Let there be rock because it show cases the energy and dedication that Bon brought to the stage.
    Either the Let There Be Rock: The Movie soundtrack or AC/DC: Live (2 CD Collector's Edition) for official releases onto CD. Great examples of a band on fire knocking through several album's worth of highlights of nothing but hard, heavy, high voltage rock & roll. Yes, LTBR is probably not the best mixed Bon concert and Live is probably too fiddled with (and has the fades), but both serve to be a great picture of the nature of the band at the time they were released and both AC/DC iterations are represented well. LTBR represents almost every album that would have been available to the French audience (no songs from int'l Dirty Deeds, asterisk for Aussie DD) and Live represents every album available to the international audience except Fly On The Wall. If I can only pick one, because it was a standalone release and not part of a box set, 2 CD Live.

In terms of concert recordings that weren't released to CD officially (in their entirety, but were officially released in some capacity) but serve to be great examples of different eras, the 1977 Sydney concert and Stiff Upper Lip Live. A lot more raw power in those concerts but, sadly, no official release of the entire concert onto CD makes it hard to refer to them as "albums."

Now, my favorite of the unofficially released concerts is the Austin show from Flies On The Soundboard. Brian is still able to SCREAM like no other yet still sound like he's singing and not just screeching and the show is an equal number of Bon & Brian era songs and all of the Atlantic international canon is represented by at least one song from each studio album (High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, For Those About To Rock, 74 Jailbreak, & Fly On The Wall) released up to that point. Granted if they kept representing albums that well the shows would eventually balloon to 2.5 to 3 hour things where intermissions would be needed (something no band really does well without having multiple singers) but this concert was just before the trend of ignoring every album since Back In Black save for the songs For Those About To Rock and Thunderstruck and a few songs from the new record started.
    I have a bootleg called “Thunderboogie” ,it says recorded between 77 and 83 ( it also has THIOFand GFFH)but doesn’t state where. I think it most of it is from Detroit 83 but I could be wrong .It has the best LTBR EVER.Its played 1/2 a step faster combined with the guitar tone and the drum sound it is enormous....BJ in his prime.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 24th 2018

^That would probably be the LTBR from Largo. There are a few bootlegs with Largo and Detroit combined.

The promo's for Largo are for me the best live recordings of the band ever.
    From an official album point of view it would have to be IYWB because of the live atmosphere. Something that lacks on Live.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Nov 24th 2018

Any of the Bon ones really. They all have their charm.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Nov 24th 2018 edited

I have a real soft spot for The Heymarket show in Sydney 77 (Can I Sit On Your Face?) and I really enjoy If You Want Blood!
    But maybe Live from the Atlantic Studio is the best one after all.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Nov 24th 2018 edited

My favourite was a bootleg called "High Voltage" taken from the HTH world tour, it was fucking rad! Their best tour probably. Every song was played and sung with a mean intention
    Live From The Atlantic Studios. my most listened to ac/dc recording of all time.
    I have the original promo and it just sounds fucking amazing.
    You’ll never hear the band in such an intimate setting. Malcolm sounds absolutely KILLER on this.
    The band are tighter than shit in the neck of a bottle too.
    LIVE. Absolutely ferocious stuff.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 25th 2018

Booze Blues n Tattoos is my fave, but legit releases it has to be Atlantic Studios
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 26th 2018

If you want blood - I can't fault it. Everything about the album define's them during their best period for me.
    Largo.

One word that says everything.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Nov 26th 2018

IYWB it's the reason I'm a life long fan.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Nov 26th 2018

Posted By: azelIf you want blood - I can't fault it. Everything about the album define's them during their best period for me.
    100% agreed.
    For me it's 'If You Want Blood' and 'Live at the Atlantic Studios' as their best live album/recordings. I see some people are saying Largo and Circus Krone which I also love but they're not albums as such, they're great live recordings but they were never made albums. The thread was about live albums... just saying ;-)
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 26th 2018 edited

I don't have a good sample to choose from but Tokyo Tapes by Scorpions was immense. Obviously they were different back then, more European / less commercial, and had a certain style. That album's production and the band's performance doesn't half capture a moment. I'd be interested to learn whether much was done in the way of overdubs.

Uli Roth > other guitar players.

The way the lead guitar comes flying in...he's so cool..

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 26th 2018

Posted By: 900I don't have a good sample to choose from but Tokyo Tapes by Scorpions was immense. Obviously they were different back then, more European / less commercial, and had a certain style. That album's production and the band's performance doesn't half capture a moment. I'd be interested to learn whether much was done in the way of overdubs.

Uli Roth > other guitar players.

The way the lead guitar comes flying in...he's so cool..

Fucking LOVE Tokyo Tapes!
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 26th 2018

Posted By: azelFucking LOVE Tokyo Tapes!

Yeah it's got atmosphere, and being in Japan, a different feel. A sort of innocence somehow. And unusual songs giving the overall set a lot of dynamics.

I think I misread the thread title though and thought this was the generic live albums thread...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Nov 26th 2018

Posted By: beanofireLargo.

One word that says everything.

Yes.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 26th 2018 edited

has largo ever been issued on vinyl??

I also forgot how much I love "lighting over japan" in all it's 60 minute, quiet cut, sped up glory, sounds great when cranked, especially beanos intro to Rosie how he sings it in a low voice
    For me its LIVE - always had a copy in my car and it blows me away every time. The sound is pretty heavy and Brian's voice sounds a bit shredded but for me it works
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Nov 27th 2018

Live Is fucking Great but it's probably adjusted here and there in studio
    • AC/DC rock music: wizza
    • Nov 27th 2018

River plate last one with mal