To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 21st 2018

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 21st 2018

Well said.
    Posted By: DustDevilWell said.
    Agreed. Simon's a respectable guy, and he played his part well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 21st 2018

Humble guy with a sense of self reflection.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Nov 21st 2018

I’ve always really liked Simon - he knows his place, understood his role with the band and he doesn’t have that entitled Dave Evans attitude lol
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Nov 21st 2018

It's so nice to see that all past drummers admit that they can't do what Phil does. Phil really is one of a kind.
    Posted By: 42_39_56I’ve always really liked Simon - he knows his place, understood his role with the band and he doesn’t have that entitled Dave Evans attitude lol

Funny. Who has an entitled mentality in the band? I can only think of one person.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Nov 21st 2018

That orchestrated band sounds really cool.
    Very humble of him to admit this.

What I don't get: AC/DC is one of the biggest bands of all time... why couldn't they have found a replacement for Rudd with his feel and swing?

Are you telling me no one can do that to the point where 99% of the fan base can't tell them apart? I say bullshit — there literally must be many drummers on the planet who can do this simple but swinging vibe on the drums.

So why were Mal and Ang not able to find a replacement very close to Rudd's level? Did they rely on other elements like looks and personality too much? But Simon and Chris are not exactly super "cool looking" dudes... were they just really great guys to hang with?

I don't get it. You goddamn KNOW there are guys who can cop the Rudd feel but the biggest heavy rock band ever either couldn't find them or chose not to hire them.

Why?
    •  
    • Nov 22nd 2018

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoVery humble of him to admit this.

What I don't get: AC/DC is one of the biggest bands of all time... why couldn't they have found a replacement for Rudd with his feel and swing?

Are you telling me no one can do that to the point where 99% of the fan base can't tell them apart? I say bullshit — there literally must be many drummers on the planet who can do this simple but swinging vibe on the drums.

So why were Mal and Ang not able to find a replacement very close to Rudd's level? Did they rely on other elements like looks and personality too much? But Simon and Chris are not exactly super "cool looking" dudes... were they just really great guys to hang with?

I don't get it. You goddamn KNOW there are guys who can cop the Rudd feel but the biggest heavy rock band ever either couldn't find them or chose not to hire them.

Why?

Because RIG.
    Posted By: DustDevil
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoVery humble of him to admit this.

Why?

Because RIG.

Even today, there are very few drummers out there playing in THAT style.

Freddy Steady who used to be in Krokus, was one.

Erwin Reider from Germany is another.

I'd even say the drummer in Dynamite comes close.

Any others?
    • Nov 22nd 2018

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoWhat I don't get: AC/DC is one of the biggest bands of all time... why couldn't they have found a replacement for Rudd with his feel and swing?

Agree.. and that's why I don't think it's out of line to query other decisions / blind-spots such as lyrics. It was weird back then, but to do it again after the Rudd stuff 2nd time around, though 'friendly reliable face' was probably a key factor under the circumstances.

LIsten to the drums on the house band, for example - floats along splendidly.
    Back in 1983 I don't think it was an issue. Those live performances from 83-85 Simon more than adequately does the job required.

Even on the FOTW and BUYV tours i can't hear any real issues. I think in the studio he was a little intimidated, especially on FOTW and seems to have overly compensated on BUYV. It didn't help that by 1988 he'd turned into an overfed brickie either.

However in comparison to Chris Slade...

WIG
    • Nov 22nd 2018

I thought he sounded good on 83-86 live. Sometimes way too fast but was that his fault? Some stuff was a bit more brutal and lacking subtlety, but then the band were pretty raucous in that era. I like his drumming on FOTW, but felt he tried too hard to get get different things in on BUYV. I'd like to hear Nick Of Time with a straight beat so there's syncopation, rather than matching the timing of the chord riffs.
    •  
    • Nov 22nd 2018

I can honestly say I've never heard another drummer who does it EXACTLY like Rudd. Just in the same way I've never heard another guitarist who does it EXACTLY like Mal.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Nov 22nd 2018

Even SW hates SW’s drumming in ACDC.
    Phil saved the band ... Simple fact.
    Posted By: Mike206

Really? Did he really save Ballbreaker?

Simon Wright was really good on the FOTS tour btw.
    Posted By: carlos fandangoBack in 1983 I don't think it was an issue. Those live performances from 83-85 Simon more than adequately does the job required.

Even on the FOTW and BUYV tours i can't hear any real issues. I think in the studio he was a little intimidated, especially on FOTW and seems to have overly compensated on BUYV. It didn't help that by 1988 he'd turned into an overfed brickie either.

WIG

Well said.

Simon gets more shit than he deserves really. I still feel the records he played on we're produced very badly, which plays a part in how he was received and is remembered.

Live he did just fine, he did pretty well I think.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Nov 22nd 2018

I love his drumming on BUYV especially on TTWIWRAR, SSFN and MS. Go Zone has a good groove and some nice little rolls going into the verses. Maybe during that period Mal was experimenting with different dynamics as there’s plenty of Drum experimentation (not the norm for DC) on the Razors Edge aswell. Also the songs on BUYV seem to have more complex riffs going on than the usual open chord stuff so that would influence his playing aswell. I think that if Mal thought his Style was wrong for the album he would have got rid there and then or ordered him to to play the usual way. I couldn’t imagine TTWIWRNR played any other way, it would sound boring without those fills in between the verses. Simon was just playing what suited those riffs.
    Chris Slade in 91 absolutely shat on Simon. Slade during ROB was equally bad compared to Simon when he was in the band. He just had no feel whatsoever.

Rudd is God.
    Rudd was at his swinging best when he came back. Ballbreaker and SUL might be lacking in songs, but the feel had rarely been higher.

Simon is fine. The thing about FOTW and BUYV is that the drum sound is so damn flat and the production is so echo-y that you can barely feel the drums, so I feel like Simon didn't get a proper go at it.

Slade has insanely impressive endurance and energy, but it just isn't right for ACDC.

All 3 drummers deserve our utmost respect for playing their part in the band and knowing their place.
    • Nov 22nd 2018

Posted By: 71SGGo Zone has a good groove

Yeah he sounds good on there, there's a sense of 'BLATTT' to some of the hits / crashes, even with the rather weak production.. I like Go Zone. It's not the most imaginative of songs, but it's just solid and satisfying somehow, with a great solo.
    Posted By: SpellboundChris Slade in 91 absolutely shat on Simon. Slade during ROB was equally bad compared to Simon when he was in the band. He just had no feel whatsoever.

Rudd is God.

Slade didn't play like Slade during the ROB tour. Listen to him with his TimeLine band and he's sharp. Someone told him to play like Rudd, or he felt the fans wanted that Rudd sound, and there is only one Rudd. Slade would have been better off had he played like he does in his own TimeLine Band.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Nov 22nd 2018 edited

Which one is Simon Wright, again? The one with no teeth? The one with no hair? Ah, I remember. He's the one with no rhythm.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 22nd 2018

Posted By: Jack B. Nimble
    Posted By: SpellboundChris Slade in 91 absolutely shat on Simon. Slade during ROB was equally bad compared to Simon when he was in the band. He just had no feel whatsoever.

Rudd is God.

Slade didn't play like Slade during the ROB tour. Listen to him with his TimeLine band and he's sharp. Someone told him to play like Rudd, or he felt the fans wanted that Rudd sound, and there is only one Rudd. Slade would have been better off had he played like he does in his own TimeLine Band.

The thing is that he doesn't play better with his TimeLine band. He plays certain things a bit differently by adding certain fill ins in his style for example. But that wouldn't fit with AC/DC because that is not what the drumming in AC/DC requires. He was great in his first stint with the band but for whatever reason he can not play like that anymore which is especially noticeable on faster songs like LTBR. He had a machine like precision on that one in 1990/91 but struggled with it on the ROB tour. Maybe it's just age but to think it would have sounded better if he played like he plays in the TimeLine band is bollocks imo.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Nov 22nd 2018

Posted By: BrianyWhich one is Simon Wright, again? The one with no teeth? The one with no hair? Ah, I remember. He's the one with no rhythm.

You complete me.
    Posted By: BrianyWhich one is Simon Wright, again? The one with no teeth? The one with no hair? Ah, I remember. He's the one with no rhythm.

10/10
    • Nov 23rd 2018 edited

BoL, way too harsh from some of you guys! He's made a pretty good career of being a rock drummer in some massive bands given he has "no rhythm"? He's got that, he just didn't have the sense of subtlety and feel that Rudd did.

ps why the fuck did Slade name his band the "Timeline"? That seems so lame! What next, Phil Rudd's Touring Facebook Wall or Simon Wright's AC/DC Twitter Feed Cover Band?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Nov 23rd 2018

Posted By: 900BoL, way too harsh from some of you guys! He's made a pretty good career of being a rock drummer in some massive bands given he has "no rhythm"? He's got that, he just didn't have the sense of subtlety and feel that Rudd did.

ps why the fuck did Slade name his band the "Timeline"? That seems so lame! What next, Phil Rudd's Touring Facebook Wall or Simon Wright's AC/DC Twitter Feed Cover Band?

He called it that because the music played by the band is supposed to be a retrospective of Chris's career with various different bands. A sort of 'time line' of his career, if you will.
    • Nov 23rd 2018

Posted By: Briany
    He called it that because the music played by the band is supposed to be a retrospective of Chris's career with various different bands. A sort of 'time line' of his career, if you will.

Well Rudd ought to do the same in his own band then, referring to all the lines of coke he's done over the years.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Nov 23rd 2018 edited

I hate to be the one to bring this up again, but no bashing former or current AC/DC members. Mind your own teeth and hair, people. Let's keep things classy.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 23rd 2018

1. Phil Rudd
    2. Tony Currenti
    3. Simon Wright
    4. Chris Slade

If Bob would have made it, he would probably turn up 2nd or third.
    Posted By: ThankassIf Bob would have made it, he would probably turn up 2nd or third.

Yeah, he looks like a young Rudd, he deserves the 2nd or 3rd spot.
    • AC/DC rock music: Hellball
    • Nov 23rd 2018

Spanish band "77" have a great drummer. (At times) he swings like the Rudd.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 23rd 2018

Posted By: 900I thought he sounded good on 83-86 live. Sometimes way too fast but was that his fault? Some stuff was a bit more brutal and lacking subtlety, but then the band were pretty raucous in that era. I like his drumming on FOTW, but felt he tried too hard to get get different things in on BUYV. I'd like to hear Nick Of Time with a straight beat so there's syncopation, rather than matching the timing of the chord riffs.

that's what I love about the beats on that album!!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 23rd 2018

Posted By: nitroangus23
    Posted By: carlos fandangoBack in 1983 I don't think it was an issue. Those live performances from 83-85 Simon more than adequately does the job required.

WIG

Well said.

Simon gets more shit than he deserves really. I still feel the records he played on we're produced very badly, which plays a part in how he was received and is remembered.

Live he did just fine, he did pretty well I think.

simon is the only drummer who you hear missing beats/dropping sticks on the live recordings he is on.....more like simon wrong hahaha
    Posted By: Mike206Even SW hates SW’s drumming in ACDC.

No single member saved the band. Chris Slade was drumming on Razors Edge and no the album didn´t save the band, but it sure helped them to reach the top again.
    Simon Wright is a good drummer, and he wasn't bad for AC/DC. He was awesome on FOTW and I prefer him live and on BUYV to any of Chris Slade's work.