To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

This is mainly a question for those of you that were fans when Bon was around, but anyone can answer about your first time. What were your thoughts when Back in Black came out? Were you not expecting much, but were then blown away when you heard the album? Was it the opposite?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Nov 17th 2018

I love hearing about this kind of stuff. I remember reading in a thread not long ago about Goulash and Azel’s experiences hearing it for the first time. Cool as shit!
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinThis is mainly a question for those of you that were fans when Bon was around, but anyone can answer about your first time. What were your thoughts when Back in Black came out? Were you not expecting much, but were then blown away when you heard the album? Was it the opposite?

My recollection is vague as I was only 8 yrs old when Back In Black was released but I certainly do have memories of it as my eldest brother is a huge fan of AC/DC and played in a band back then and they played AC/DC in their set list. I remember a year earlier my brother would always play Highway To Hell in the living room as loud as he could and even as a 7 yr old at the time I loved Highway to Hell. Then a year or so after that I remember the day when my brother came into the house really excited and put the Back in Black album on for the first time and I remember the start of Hells Bells and just hearing those bells and then the start of the guitars chiming in and thinking what the hell is this but of course I loved it and so too did my eldest brother who was 19 yrs of age at the time. For some reason I remember that day hearing Hells Bells as it was the first song but the only other songs I remember hearing that day were Back in Black and Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, I can't remember hearing anything else on the album that day except for those three songs, why I'm not sure.
    Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinThis is mainly a question for those of you that were fans when Bon was around, but anyone can answer about your first time. What were your thoughts when Back in Black came out? Were you not expecting much, but were then blown away when you heard the album? Was it the opposite?

My recollection is vague as I was only 8 yrs old when Back In Black was released but I certainly do have memories of it as my eldest brother is a huge fan of AC/DC and played in a band back then and they played AC/DC in their set list. I remember a year earlier my brother would always play Highway To Hell in the living room as loud as he could and even as a 7 yr old at the time I loved Highway to Hell. Then a year or so after that I remember the day when my brother came into the house really excited and put the Back in Black album on for the first time and I remember the start of Hells Bells and just hearing those bells and then the start of the guitars chiming in and thinking what the hell is this but of course I loved it and so too did my eldest brother who was 19 yrs of age at the time. For some reason I remember that day hearing Hells Bells as it was the first song but the only other songs I remember hearing that day were Back in Black and Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, I can't remember hearing anything else on the album that day except for those three songs, why I'm not sure.
    Great story, man! Brian's introduction must've been quite the change, but a welcome one given how damn good he is.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 18th 2018

Despite still being very raw still from losing Bon, once I started seeing the official photos of Brian ( thanks Robert!), it was like watching an underdog going into the ring to face a massive opponent.
    I just wanted everything to work out, more for him than me.
    The album blew me away, and the gigs even more so. Very emotional times.

The album sound was very different, but just exilerating. Strangely, I can remember Money Honey as much as anything. Still punchy as fuck after all these years.
    Posted By: azelDespite still being very raw still from losing Bon, once I started seeing the official photos of Brian ( thanks Robert!), it was like watching an underdog going into the ring to face a massive opponent.
    I just wanted everything to work out, more for him than me.
    The album blew me away, and the gigs even more so. Very emotional times.

The album sound was very different, but just exilerating. Strangely, I can remember Money Honey as much as anything. Still punchy as fuck after all these years.
    Listening to BIB right now. It certainly was more stadium rock that boogie club rock, but it's just as amazing. Glad to see someone who rooted for Brian to do great. I wonder if there were a lot of Bon purists at the time who wanted the band to quit...
    •  
    • Nov 18th 2018

I think we all knew the band had more to give.
    The last tour was SO good.
    •  
    • Nov 18th 2018

And I was a purist I think. But Brian had something about him.
    Posted By: azelAnd I was a purist I think. But Brian had something about him.
    I suppose everyone would be disappointed that Bon wouldn't be doing another album as well as have skepticism that the new guy would be any good. Thankfully, he was. We can't help but wonder, though, what would a Bon fronted Back in Black have been like... He never made the full step into stadium rock with Highway to Hell, but they had started down the path...
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 18th 2018

Posted By: azelBut Brian had something about him.

Angus said that when Brian walked into that audition with his flat cap, newspaper under his arm...he just knew he'd be good. Just like how he described seeing Louis Armstrong stride casually onstage and knowing he'd be great also. Aura. Some people have that thing when they walk in the room..
    Posted By: 900

Angus said that when Brian walked into that audition with his flat cap, newspaper under his arm...he just knew he'd be good. Just like how he described seeing Louis Armstrong stride casually onstage and knowing he'd be great also. Aura. Some people have that thing when they walk in the room..
    I'd love to know how that audition went. Did he initially try out a less screamy/scratchy voice (something more along the lines of his Geordie voice) or if he knew that ACDC would want something more intense so he just gave it all he got..
    •  
    • Nov 18th 2018 edited

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

I'd love to know how that audition went. Did he initially try out a less screamy/scratchy voice (something more along the lines of his Geordie voice) or if he knew that ACDC would want something more intense so he just gave it all he got..

Well, he did Nutbush City Limits and Rosie for the audition so would have been along the lines of that in terms of singing voice. But anyone who had the blessing of hearing Brian sing in the late 70’s/early 80’s would know his capabilities no matter what he sang and they definitely capitalized on his amazing vocal range!

I do miss his Geordie voice at times. So pure. :’)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 18th 2018

even though I was too little to remember it from 1980, I do remember the album scaring the shit out of me as a little kid....the all black cover with nothing on it but embossed letters, bells ringing, screaming vocals that sounded like satan, and drums that sounded like someone getting punched....fuck... then I heard Flick Of The Switch
    Posted By: drillbageven though I was too little to remember it from 1980, I do remember the album scaring the shit out of me as a little kid....the all black cover with nothing on it but embossed letters, bells ringing, screaming vocals that sounded like satan, and drums that sounded like someone getting punched....fuck... then I heard Flick Of The Switch
    Hah, I bet black sabbath would've given you a heart attack
    •  
    • Nov 18th 2018

Posted By: drillbageven though I was too little to remember it from 1980, I do remember the album scaring the shit out of me as a little kid....the all black cover with nothing on it but embossed letters, bells ringing, screaming vocals that sounded like satan, and drums that sounded like someone getting punched....fuck... then I heard Flick Of The Switch

I heard Sabbath a short time after I started my quest for metal, the Greatest Hits and Master Of Reality was the first albums I heard....holy shit.
    but I was always into thin lizzy and Hendrix but shit like ACDC seemed next level in terms of aggressivness
    Posted By: drillbag

I heard Sabbath a short time after I started my quest for metal, the Greatest Hits and Master Of Reality was the first albums I heard....holy shit.
    but I was always into thin lizzy and Hendrix but shit like ACDC seemed next level in terms of aggressivness
    Glad you proceeded to the next level, eh? ;)
    We should start a timer for how long until this thread ends up about bashing Fly or BUYV.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostWe should start a timer for how long until this thread ends up about bashing Fly or BUYV.
    Please, no...
    •  
    • Nov 18th 2018

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostWe should start a timer for how long until this thread ends up about bashing Fly or BUYV.

I LOVE THOSE TWO ALBUMS ; you will never hear me hang shit on them
    • AC/DC rock music: Hellball
    • Nov 19th 2018

Sorry lads, fly on the wall is a piece of crap. Uninspired Songwriting, terrible production.
    Posted By: HellballSorry lads, fly on the wall is a piece of crap. Uninspired Songwriting, terrible production.

OK! Point taken! That was fast!

Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread please.
    • AC/DC rock music: Bruce
    • Nov 19th 2018

I was 12 years old and owned two ACDC albums IYWB and HTH that sat alongside Rainbow Down to Earth and Kiss Alive. Rock was starting to be a major part of my life and hearing of Bons passing was a terrible shock as HTH was such a great album that ACDCs next album was something i couldn't wait for. After reading that Brian Johnson was the new singer in Sounds magazine i was firstly delighted that they were carrying on and nervous about how he would sound. The actual day i heard BIB is a little fuzzy now but i do clearly remember punching the air in delight when he started singing Hells Bells and the sound of the album was so good it still sounds like it was produced last week. A truly memorable album which as we now know elevated ACDC to the top of the Rock world and turned them into the greatest band ever.
    • AC/DC rock music: vambo
    • Nov 19th 2018

Brian has said that he did the vacuum commercial on the very same day as his audition. So that could be an indication of what he sounded like. Or maybe not. But it's interesting to have audio from that day.

Great story, man! Brian's introduction must've been quite the change, but a welcome one given how damn good he is.

Yes it must have been confronting for Brian to step into Bon's shoes when you consider that many say Bon Scott is one of, if not the greatest, frontman of all time. For Brian to go out and just absolutely smash it and do such a great job on Back in Black under all the pressure and scrutiny is one of the greatest stories in the history of Rock n Roll, in my humble opinion.They need to do a movie just on that period, it's an amazing story. I'll never forget hearing Highway to Hell for the first time as that was the first song and album I ever heard and I'll also never forget hearing Brian on Back in Black for the first time. The memories may be vague but I can assure you they're certainly still there, I can still picture the living room of the house we were living in at the time and my brother just playing it as loud as he could because Mum and Dad were out at dinner or something.
    •  
    • Nov 19th 2018

Yes it must have been confronting for Brian to step into Bon's shoes when you consider that many say Bon Scott is one of, if not the greatest, frontman of all time. For Brian to go out and just absolutely smash it and do such a great job on Back in Black under all the pressure and scrutiny is one of the greatest stories in the history of Rock n Roll, in my humble opinion.They need to do a movie just on that period, it's an amazing story. I'll never forget hearing Highway to Hell for the first time as that was the first song and album I ever heard and I'll also never forget hearing Brian on Back in Black for the first time. The memories may be vague but I can assure you they're certainly still there, I can still picture the living room of the house we were living in at the time and my brother just playing it as loud as he could because Mum and Dad were out at dinner or something.

A remarkable feat for sure!

To quote Mal re: the Bon comparison: “Lesser men wouln’t be around but Brian handles it”
    Posted By: carlos fandango
    Holy shit, never heard that. Must've been a busy day for him... Anyways, the fact that he used that he used the more "screamy" side of his vioce instead of what we heard in Geordie makes me think that he knew ACDC would want a lot of punch, so he probably just went in there and blew their fuckin socks off.
    •  
    • Nov 19th 2018

Posted By: HellballSorry lads, fly on the wall is a piece of crap. Uninspired Songwriting, terrible production.

you die.

listen to it again with a massive sub woofer
    20 years old. Me and my mates in 1980 all in my bedroom and I place BIB album on my Garrard turntable. New singer. What's He gonna sound like? Hells Bells kicks in. Not bad we all agree then Shoot to fucking Thrill starts. Oooft!! I will never forget that feeling of pure adrenalin surge and the feeling of joy hearing that start. And when BJ kicks in it's pure delight. We all just thought it's gonna be just fine. To me to this day that is Brian's best AC/DC song and in my Top 5 of all time. Just the best opening to any DC song. I still get hairs on the back of my neck when it kicks in. Desert Island Disc for sure. STT Brian's finest. DPB Bon's finest.
    Posted By: ianbigmac20 years old. Me and my mates in 1980 all in my bedroom and I place BIB album on my Garrard turntable. New singer. What's He gonna sound like? Hells Bells kicks in. Not bad we all agree then Shoot to fucking Thrill starts. Oooft!! I will never forget that feeling of pure adrenalin surge and the feeling of joy hearing that start. And when BJ kicks in it's pure delight. We all just thought it's gonna be just fine. To me to this day that is Brian's best AC/DC song and in my Top 5 of all time. Just the best opening to any DC song. I still get hairs on the back of my neck when it kicks in. Desert Island Disc for sure. STT Brian's finest. DPB Bon's finest.
    Shoot to Thrill, as we all know, is one serious piece of work... Can't imagine a first time sensation of hearing it back when it came out, although I'm curious as to why they didn't record a music video for it. They did one for LMPMLIY for fuck's sake, but you can't do STT? Alright...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 20th 2018

Posted By: ianbigmac20 years old. Me and my mates in 1980 all in my bedroom and I place BIB album on my Garrard turntable. New singer. What's He gonna sound like? Hells Bells kicks in. Not bad we all agree then Shoot to fucking Thrill starts. Oooft!! I will never forget that feeling of pure adrenalin surge and the feeling of joy hearing that start. And when BJ kicks in it's pure delight. We all just thought it's gonna be just fine. To me to this day that is Brian's best AC/DC song and in my Top 5 of all time. Just the best opening to any DC song. I still get hairs on the back of my neck when it kicks in. Desert Island Disc for sure. STT Brian's finest. DPB Bon's finest.
    Questions: What did you think of the music? Were you hoping for a return to the old days :) , so more LTBR / Powerage kinda songs and sound? Or were you pretty sure that BIB would be sounding much like HTH? Was it known to you upfront that Mutt was producing again?
    Posted By: Thankass
    Questions: What did you think of the music? Were you hoping for a return to the old days :) , so more LTBR / Powerage kinda songs and sound? Or were you pretty sure that BIB would be sounding much like HTH? Was it known to you upfront that Mutt was producing again?

Very good question Thankass. Back in those days there was no FB or media of anykind on a daily basis. You had to wait until a music paper (usually Sounds) came out to get any info. I probably thought when I checked the album sleeve that it's the same guy that produced HTH. I really like HTH but not as much as LTBR or Powerage. It was more polished and radio friendly but it was still that distinctive AC/DC sound, just nicer lol.The main concern was Brian's voice. We knew him from Geordie but wasn't sure if he would suit but by fuck he did although a lot of my friends were less impressed with Brian's voice. To me BIB was AC/DC's last All Killer, No Filler album. An absolute bonafide classic album and what a debut for Brian. Unforgettable. And the tone is fucking awesome
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Nov 20th 2018

I don't really remember any production comparisons in the late 70's early 80's . Then again i was in my mid teens so it could be something to do with my age at the time . As Ianbigmac says it was all about the voice of Brian. My first ever time hearing Brian was when I Played BIB for the first time ! I was happy with Brian's voice but it did take a few spins of the album before I was fully accepting .
    Posted By: ianbigmac

Very good question Thankass. Back in those days there was no FB or media of anykind on a daily basis. You had to wait until a music paper (usually Sounds) came out to get any info. I probably thought when I checked the album sleeve that it's the same guy that produced HTH. I really like HTH but not as much as LTBR or Powerage. It was more polished and radio friendly but it was still that distinctive AC/DC sound, just nicer lol.The main concern was Brian's voice. We knew him from Geordie but wasn't sure if he would suit but by fuck he did although a lot of my friends were less impressed with Brian's voice. To me BIB was AC/DC's last All Killer, No Filler album. An absolute bonafide classic album and what a debut for Brian. Unforgettable. And the tone is fucking awesome
    BIB's production had a bit more of a punch than HTH's did, but they're both outstanding. Did your friends ever grow to like Brian? I can see how a new guy would be ridiculed at first due to the simple absence of the old guy, but Brian really fit with ACDC's style at that point.
    I was only 8 or 9 , never heard acdc before , heard rock and roll ain’t noise pollution and it was Brian’s voice that got me , just thought” what the fuck was that!” Thought is was the coolest , nastiest most amazing voice I had ever heard.
    Posted By: ianbigmac

BIB's production had a bit more of a punch than HTH's did, but they're both outstanding. Did your friends ever grow to like Brian? I can see how a new guy would be ridiculed at first due to the simple absence of the old guy, but Brian really fit with ACDC's style at that point.

Quite a few still liked the music but just would not accept Brian. Probably happier with fucking Marc Storace! There fucking loss
    I had been hearing Highway to Hell on the radio fairly regularly as the song was still new at that time. Had NO idea who the band was, just liked the song.

At this time, I'd been forced to go to a private High School. Loyola in Montreal for those keeping score at home. Had to wear dress pants and dress shirt/tie or turtleneck not only AT school but TO school. That made for some fun times on the bus. Hated every minute of it. Trying to stay awake in the cafeteria in the early mornings, a DJ (yup the school had one) would play Hell's Bells and Shook Me All Night Long - probably Back in Black but I don't remember for sure. Again, liked the songs had NO idea who the band was what with that new singer and all.

Then one afternoon, I got back from school and retreated to the basement to watch TV. Found a French music video show (this is Montreal, remember) and they were dedicating the whole show to those Back in Black stage videos we now know so well. Again, having never seen the band, the announcement meant next to nothing to me. Until I heard the bell intro and recognized the song.

And that was it. Seeing Angus going crazy (even if it was pretend) while dressed in the school suit was EXACTLY how I felt having to wear my school clothes all day and the connection was immediate. Plus I loved the songs! Soon found out my eldest brother had ALL the AC/DC albums to date in 1980-81 period. Borrowed them, taped them (had no money at the time) and he was nice enough to take me to see the For Those show in 1981. Slowly put my own vinyl collection together, then CDs, then remastered CDs and saw the band live 11 times, beginning with For Those.

The one and only time I played live on stage (drums) I wore my Loyola dress shirt and shorts in honor of Angus and because it was August and bloody hot. We did Sin City, Stick Around and Rocker in addition to Fastway's Easy Livin' as my cousin and I had seen them open for AC/DC during the Flick(?) tour if memory serves. The show didn't go so great as I'd only been playing drums for 6 hours the day before the show and half the band just wanted to hang out in the garage doing nothing while my cousin and I actually rehearsed the songs. Still, it means a lot to me that my one and only time playing drums in a band on stage in front of an audience, I got to play AC/DC songs. Still have the tape of the gig and I listen to it every now and then for a trip down memory lane.

Can't wait for the new album!
    BIB was a departure writing wise from any other DC album to that point.

Of course, I can say that now with 38 years of hindsight, but back then from the first few bars of HB, you knew something special was at work here.
    Sonically, it was amazing. The fact that Brian wasn't heard immediately just built the tension even further. But when he came in, it was sheer relief. By the end of STT it was back to rocking. And for a teenager, that was as big an acceptance of the new boy as you could give back then.
    Carry on.
    As much as it was a sad time with the passing of Bon that day was still a magical uplifting moment I will never forget
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: morevish
    • Nov 23rd 2018

In fact, I wasn't expecting much.
    As a 17 year old I just discovered this band. First album was IYWB (talking about setting standards...) and quickly started to collect the other, earlier, albums (LTBR, Powerage, HV), depending on the amount of pocket money I could save as a kid. Had to get used a bit to the new, polished sound and production of HTH, less raw then the previous albums, but was soon blown away by the massive sound of this album with the impressive, echoing bv's. Anyway, AC/DC was my life at that time, listening to their records literally day and night, and Bon was my hero.
    I was really devastated with the news of Bon (still can remember when I heard it on the radio, Dutch programme 'Avondspits' with Frits Spits as DJ, just having dinner before going to soccer training) and my first thoughts were 'this is the end of it, there will never be an AC/DC anymore'.
    Was excited though to read in music magazines that they found a new singer, but to be honest I was also quite sceptic, didn't know what to expect. What I can remember after almost 40 years is that I bought the album right after it's release and was appreciative of what I heard the first time when listening to the songs. Not excited or blown away, as I think I had to get used to the new sound. Not only to the new singer, but also the polished, more bombastic Mutt touch had to settle down with me. Luckily, it didn't take long to really got rocking on BIB, with STT, Honey and BIB as absolute legends.
    Agree with ianbigmac that it took a bit of time to accept Brian and the new sound of the band, realizing only later that BIB turned out to be one of the greatest rock albums ever. And the last AC/DC album that scored 10/10. I can't stress enough that no other singer in this world could have done a better job than BJ to replace Bon.
    I couldn't have dreamed as a 17 year old kid to see the band with my daughter 35 years later, singing along BIB and STT...