To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: IronPatriot
    • Nov 16th 2018 edited

I'm not sure if there's a thread on this yet or not. But since other threads keep touching this topic to one degree or another, I figured I would start one. Many of the more recent AC/DC songs can be a little lacking in the lyrics department and it seems to me that there are certain phrases within the lyrics that keep popping up. Off the top of my head, I can think of "blow your mind" as being quite prominent. I'm sure there are a lot more. Maybe we can come up with a little compilation of recurring phrases like that (heck maybe there's even some that Bon used). Occasionally, I do wonder if any thought goes into these repeatedly used lyrics or if they are merely filler.
    Posted By: IronPatriotI'm not sure if there's a thread on this yet or not. But since other threads keep touching this topic to one degree or another, I figured I would start one. Many of the more recent AC/DC songs can be a little lacking in the lyrics department and it seems to me that there are certain phrases within the lyrics that keep popping up. Off the top of my head, I can think of "blow your mind" as being quite prominent. I'm sure there are a lot more. Maybe we can come up with a little compilation of recurring phrases like that (heck maybe there's even some that Bon used). Occasionally, I do wonder if any thought goes into these repeatedly used lyrics or if they are merely filler.
    The Young/Young songwriting credit has released 63 songs (every song on the albums TRE-ROB and two singles Big Gun and Cyberspace). That's a lot of lines to look through. I'll get right on it!
    Surely you couldn’t be bothered going through that lol
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Nov 17th 2018

You can also try digging a hole then filling it back again.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Nov 17th 2018 edited

"Spinning Dynamo" shows up both in Who Made Who and Anything Goes.

Brian did write some stuff for BI. Brian has a thing for spinning dynamos. I´ll go as far as to say Anything Goes is mostly Brian, but hey, what do you know.
    Posted By: BallToucher"Spinning Dynamo" shows up both in Who Made Who and Anything Goes.

Brian did write some stuff for BI. Brian has a thing for spinning dynamos. I´ll go as far as to say Anything Goes is mostly Brian, but hey, what do you know.

I just have the feeling that some of those phrases are so cheesy it makes you wanna cringe whenever you give them some deeper thought. In GSRNRT for example they use "tailor made for you" twice in short sequence of each other. It frustrates me because if they had given it 5 extra minutes of thought they probably would have found something a little less repetitive and cliché sounding...
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 17th 2018

Posted By: IronPatriotIn GSRNRT for example they use "tailor made for you" twice in short sequence of each other.

Definitely! Feel bad saying it, but when I hear repetition within a song, it just sounds so amateur from a songwriting angle. That "honky tonk" repetition in Hold Me Back is really naff, and I can't stand it in Baptism By Fire when after "ride, ride, ride..." a few seconds later it's "riiiide" again (and then ironically with yet another use of "blow your mind")!

And yes it's just lazy at times. There must be plenty of lines that would sound better than "where she goes, she goes, nobody knows" in AG.
    900 - what’s your take on the “baaaahaaaahaaaaack” bits of BIB?
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: IronPatriotIn GSRNRT for example they use "tailor made for you" twice in short sequence of each other.

Definitely! Feel bad saying it, but when I hear repetition within a song, it just sounds so amateur from a songwriting angle. That "honky tonk" repetition in Hold Me Back is really naff, and I can't stand it in Baptism By Fire when after "ride, ride, ride..." a few seconds later it's "riiiide" again (and then ironically with yet another use of "blow your mind")!

And yes it's just lazy at times. There must be plenty of lines that would sound better than "where she goes, she goes, nobody knows" in AG.

Yes, 900. It hurts me to say it too but it does come across as pretty amateurish. I couldn't have said it better. Obviously, nobody is expecting the chorus to be non-repetitive, since that's the whole point of it. But the verse should be something fresh and non-repetitive every time it pops up: somehow they don't really have that concept ingrained too well.
    I'm not sure what you guys think but I feel like Smash 'N Grab is the king of gratuitous repetitions. That "blow your mind" line is in there so many times. And then there's the infamous "beat your chest" line in there too.
    • Nov 17th 2018

Posted By: Spellbound900 - what’s your take on the “baaaahaaaahaaaaack” bits of BIB?

No issue with that (it's never really occurred to me).It's almost like a chant, and it leads into 'back in black' seamlessly.
    • Nov 17th 2018

Posted By: IronPatriotthe verse should be something fresh and non-repetitive every time it pops up: somehow they don't really have that concept ingrained too well.

Agree. I don't have any problem with the choruses being repeated, e.g. Giving The Dog A Bone or Safe In New York City (I know some people disagree on the latter).

Posted By: IronPatriotSmash 'N Grab is the king of gratuitous repetitions. That "blow your mind" line is in there so many times. And then there's the infamous "beat your chest" line in there too.

Yes, enough to ruin the song for me, it's just asinine. And that 'beat your chest' bit is as bad as variations of 'shout out loud' which have appeared on more than one song!
    Posted By: IronPatriotthe verse should be something fresh and non-repetitive every time it pops up: somehow they don't really have that concept ingrained too well.

Agree. I don't have any problem with the choruses being repeated, e.g. Giving The Dog A Bone or Safe In New York City (I know some people disagree on the latter).

Posted By: IronPatriotSmash 'N Grab is the king of gratuitous repetitions. That "blow your mind" line is in there so many times. And then there's the infamous "beat your chest" line in there too.

Yes, enough to ruin the song for me, it's just asinine. And that 'beat your chest' bit is as bad as variations of 'shout out loud' which have appeared on more than one song!

Like what does that even mean? "Beat your chest"? Surely it can't be literal... I know some people couldn't care less about lyrics but to me they're a super important part of the song and a tune that might otherwise be quite cool is ruined by brainless lyrics.
    • Nov 17th 2018

Posted By: IronPatriotLike what does that even mean? "Beat your chest"? Surely it can't be literal... I know some people couldn't care less about lyrics but to me they're a super important part of the song and a tune that might otherwise be quite cool is ruined by brainless lyrics.

LoL.. I think 'beat your chest' must be some sort of primal, man-thing.

To anyone who says lyrics don't matter, imagine the whole of Powerage with Y&Y lyrics? It couldn't possibly not detract from it greatly.
    Posted By: IronPatriotLike what does that even mean? "Beat your chest"? Surely it can't be literal... I know some people couldn't care less about lyrics but to me they're a super important part of the song and a tune that might otherwise be quite cool is ruined by brainless lyrics.

LoL.. I think 'beat your chest' must be some sort of primal, man-thing.

To anyone who says lyrics don't matter, imagine the whole of Powerage with Y&Y lyrics? It couldn't possibly not detract from it greatly.

Like in "Ape Man" by the Marcus Hook Roll Band I guess... But still. It sounds stupid tbh.

Seriously. The lyrical ideas employed in Y&Y songwriting are flat. To say the least.
    Sorry if this has been said already but the phrase count of monte cristo is said in Meanstreak and Hail Caesar
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Nov 18th 2018

Like what does that even mean? "Beat your chest"? Surely it can't be literal... I know some people couldn't care less about lyrics but to me they're a super important part of the song and a tune that might otherwise be quite cool is ruined by brainless lyrics.

I'd say it means swagger or show off, sort of. At least that's the way I've heard it
    Beat your chest means to stand proud I guess.
    Posted By: SpellboundBeat your chest means to stand proud I guess.

Yes 'Beat your chest' I believe means to sternly stand your ground and be proud.
    The sad thing is I was making a tongue in cheek jab at the “stand up proud” line that’s been thrown into songs over the years :)
    Posted By: SpellboundThe sad thing is I was making a tongue in cheek jab at the “stand up proud” line that’s been thrown into songs over the years :)
    Stand Up and Rosie go together quite well in that sense.

Nineteen stone woman, you'd better "stand up" and take it...
    Posted By: SpellboundThe sad thing is I was making a tongue in cheek jab at the “stand up proud” line that’s been thrown into songs over the years :)

Lmao, I was gonna comment on that!! It’s literally like they have a list of things they just throw in as filler...
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Nov 20th 2018

For a long time most ACDC lyrics have just been mumbo jumbo and just a way to get to a sing along chorus. It's a real shame , too tough to tame , who's to blame , in the rain again and again

Unfortunately the lyrical story telling is long gone within the ACDC camp
    "living in a human zoo" is in If You Want Blood and Big Gun.

Beat your chest - that's from Tarzan I'm sure.
    Posted By: IronPatriot
    Posted By: BallToucher"Spinning Dynamo" shows up both in Who Made Who and Anything Goes.

I just have the feeling that some of those phrases are so cheesy it makes you wanna cringe whenever you give them some deeper thought.

That was your first mistake.