To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I saw in one of the threads that Brian hasn’t written anything for ACDC in a very long time. Does anyone know the real reason? I thought it may probably be to do with him having a lyric block or I did think that maybe he came up with some rubbish stuff like “here’s some ideas lads”
    1. Rock my car
    2. my car rocks
    3. My fast rock car
    4. For cars about to Rock
    5. Rock my car away

I think you’ll prob get the gist that maybe the cars and driving were more his passion
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 16th 2018

Rather embarrassingly, Scorpions already have one of these covered..

This is quite dreadful. Catchy song though!

Rock, rock, rock my car
    Let's push the pedal down to the metal!
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Yeah!
    The ultimate pleasure is waiting for me
    You wanna join in for a drive
    The engine is roaring, I double the speed
    In love with the fast lane of life
    A rush to the head, I'm changing the gear
    Let's get the power unchained
    My heart's beating faster, because I can hear
    The highway is calling my name
    Fasten your seatbelts
    Ready to go
    We gonna have fun tonight
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Yeah!
    The maximum power, it can't be too fast
    And when the morning arrives
    We're starting all over, no future no past
    Forever big city nights
    Put on your helmet
    Ready to go
    We gonna have fun tonight
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Yeah!
    Rock, rock
    Oh oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh oh
    Rock, rock
    Oh oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh oh
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Rock, rock, rock my car
    Yeah!
    I remember In the liner Notes for the razors edge Brian who is busy with his divorce and had trouble either coming up with lyrics or focusing on the lyrics so the Young’s took over and I think it’s just been that way ever since
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: ruffstuff88I remember In the liner Notes for the razors edge Brian who is busy with his divorce and had trouble either coming up with lyrics or focusing on the lyrics so the Young’s took over and I think it’s just been that way ever since
    yeah. Divorces can take a lot of time!
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Nov 16th 2018 edited

Well, in the name of truth, Brian is a singer and no author/poet like Bon was.
    I think it was a relief for him not have to write lyrics anymore.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Nov 16th 2018

No he’s fine.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 16th 2018

BIG
    Posted By: sodaWell, in the name of truth, Brian is a singer and no author/poet like Bon was.

They canned his writing right after his best stuff. Video’s lyrics are fantastic.
    Posted By: DustDevilBIG

4 u
    •  
    • Nov 16th 2018

Lol!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: sodaWell, in the name of truth, Brian is a singer and no author/poet like Bon was.

Aww, well I think he’s probably okay with being a singer and lyricist on the #3 best selling album of all time. God bless.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: 42_39_56

Aww, well I think he’s probably okay with being a singer and lyricist on the #3 best selling album of all time. God bless.
    Not second anymore?
    • Nov 16th 2018

Anyway Brian finished Bon's lyrics book in 1988
    The divorce reason was probably real, but after the TRE album sold so well without Brian's lyrics the Youngs probably decided they didn't need his lyrics anymore and would prefer to keep the royalties for themselves on all future releases. I think this is the most likely explanation.

Like Spellbound said, Brian was showing no signs of slowing down when they axed his lyrics, and he has written lyrics outside of AC/DC since then which shows he can still do it.
    Posted By: rideon77

Not second anymore?
    The Eagles' compilation album (yes, not a real album, but people love Hotel California so much they'll buy anything with it on it) took over a few months ago.
    Posted By: Spellbound

They canned his writing right after his best stuff. Video’s lyrics are fantastic.

THIS
    Posted By: rideon77Anyway Brian finished Bon's lyrics book in 1988

Funny Aye?
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Nov 16th 2018

Video lyrics are trash, hate the writing on this album more than any subsequent Y&Y effort, which is saying something.
    TRE blows up, the band is white hot for the first time since Black in Black behind TS, everyone including Brian is finally making rock star money again ... I'm sure they were all happy to just let it ride.
    Posted By: Mike206Video lyrics are trash, hate the writing on this album more than any subsequent Y&Y effort, which is saying something.
    TRE blows up, the band is white hot for the first time since Black in Black behind TS, everyone including Brian is finally making rock star money again ... I'm sure they were all happy to just let it ride.

Are you for real? You are dead wrong!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: ShootToThrillThe divorce reason was probably real, but after the TRE album sold so well without Brian's lyrics the Youngs probably decided they didn't need his lyrics anymore and would prefer to keep the royalties for themselves on all future releases. I think this is the most likely explanation.

This paints the Young brothers as a pair of hungry pricks.

Why would the already substantially wealthy Young brothers have held on to all songwriting duties, to their songs' detriment, just to make a relatively insignificant addition to their large fortunes? Maybe I'm underestimating those sweet, sweet Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip windfalls, though.

There didn't seem to be much reticence on the Youngs' part when they handed Brian a blank sheet of paper on the BiB sessions and said, 'See what you can do...'. Apparently they can live with sharing the royalties with Brian on their biggest-selling album, and a several albums after that, but they just decided to go all Gene Simmons with it in the 90s.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: rideon77

Not second anymore?
    The Eagles' compilation album (yes, not a real album, but people love Hotel California so much they'll buy anything with it on it) took over a few months ago.

I definitely had to hit the backspace button on that one. Damn Eagles!
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: Mike206Video lyrics are trash, hate the writing on this album more than any subsequent Y&Y effort, which is saying something.

Worse than any post Y&Y effort? That’s insanity. ;)
    • Nov 16th 2018 edited

BIB is still second in the world I think. The Eagles don't sell shit in Europe. They're huge in the US
    Posted By: rideon77BIB is still second in the world I think. The Eagles don't sell shit in Europe. They're huge in the US
    Not exactly sure of all the stats anymore
    Posted By: BrianyThis paints the Young brothers as a pair of hungry pricks.

They are, and that's not a bad thing. How else do you think AC/DC became as successful as they did?

Posted By: BrianyWhy would the already substantially wealthy Young brothers have held on to all songwriting duties, to their songs' detriment, just to make a relatively insignificant addition to their large fortunes? Maybe I'm underestimating those sweet, sweet Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip windfalls, though.

They don't know how many copies the album is going to sell during the WRITING process...

Posted By: BrianyThere didn't seem to be much reticence on the Youngs' part when they handed Brian a blank sheet of paper on the BiB sessions and said, 'See what you can do...'. Apparently they can live with sharing the royalties with Brian on their biggest-selling album, and a several albums after that, but they just decided to go all Gene Simmons with it in the 90s.

All of the 80s albums after Back In Black sold poorly in comparison to it. They had a huge hit at the beginning of the 90s with TRE. I don't think it is a coincidence that this is when the lyric writing changed hands.
    • Nov 16th 2018 edited

Posted By: Wholelottatobe

Are you for real? You are CORRECTdead wrong!

Fixed that for you.
    Even the shittiest Y&Y > the loathsome Video.
    Simple fact.
    Posted By: rideon77BIB is still second in the world I think. The Eagles don't sell shit in Europe. They're huge in the US

Yep that is how it is.

Im gonna need to see a proper foundation for this opinion.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: Briany
    Posted By: ShootToThrillThe divorce reason was probably real, but after the TRE album sold so well without Brian's lyrics the Youngs probably decided they didn't need his lyrics anymore and would prefer to keep the royalties for themselves on all future releases. I think this is the most likely explanation.

Why would the already substantially wealthy Young brothers have held on to all songwriting duties, to their songs' detriment, just to make a relatively insignificant addition to their large fortunes? Maybe I'm underestimating those sweet, sweet Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip windfalls, though.

There didn't seem to be much reticence on the Youngs' part when they handed Brian a blank sheet of paper on the BiB sessions and said, 'See what you can do...'. Apparently they can live with sharing the royalties with Brian on their biggest-selling album, and a several albums after that, but they just decided to go all Gene Simmons with it in the 90s.

maybe the writing credits weren't based on the "blank sheet of paper" but to keep silent about the (alleged) notebook he was taking lyric ideas from from....
    Posted By: ShootToThrill

They are, and that's not a bad thing. How else do you think AC/DC became as successful as they did?

Posted By: BrianyWhy would the already substantially wealthy Young brothers have held on to all songwriting duties, to their songs' detriment, just to make a relatively insignificant addition to their large fortunes? Maybe I'm underestimating those sweet, sweet Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip windfalls, though.

They don't know how many copies the album is going to sell during the WRITING process...

Posted By: BrianyThere didn't seem to be much reticence on the Youngs' part when they handed Brian a blank sheet of paper on the BiB sessions and said, 'See what you can do...'. Apparently they can live with sharing the royalties with Brian on their biggest-selling album, and a several albums after that, but they just decided to go all Gene Simmons with it in the 90s.

All of the 80s albums after Back In Black sold poorly in comparison to it. They had a huge hit at the beginning of the 90s with TRE. I don't think it is a coincidence that this is when the lyric writing changed hands.

The lyrics had piss-all to do with any of these albums selling poorly or well.
    Posted By: drillbag
    Posted By: Briany

maybe the writing credits weren't based on the "blank sheet of paper" but to keep silent about the (alleged) notebook he was taking lyric ideas from from....

So, why wouldn’t the Youngs keep pulling “ideas” from this “notebook” after Brian was dismissed from lyrical duties? Brian magically exhausted the thing right after BUYV? Even if this was the case, The Youngs would have just recycled “ideas” from it and milked if for more than it was worth. Post 1988 AC/DC lyrics are clearly a different beast from either Bon or Brian (or stolen Bon ideas)

There was no notebook.
    No way they associate Thunderstruck's success with lyrics, and no way they associate FTATR-BUYV commercial mediocrity with lyrics.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostThe lyrics had piss-all to do with any of these albums selling poorly or well.

I never said they did. Correlation not causation. I wish Brian had kept writing just as much as everyone else.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostThe lyrics had piss-all to do with any of these albums selling poorly or well.

I never said they did. I wish Brian had kept writing just as much as everyone else.
    I agree, yet I am glad we have some absolutely glorious Y/Y lyrics that I get a kick out of -

Some highlights in the lyrics of "Caught With Your Pants Down":
    "Whip you with the lickin' thing"
    "Out drivin' in a big truck"
    "Woman workin' so hot"
    "She rip off her stockin's when the place start rockin'"
    I wonder how much of TRE’s success had to do with them simply bringing in a big mainstream producer once again and going back to an epic/commercial sound instead of experimenting ala the previous 3 albums.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostI wonder how much of TRE’s success had to do with them simply bringing in a big mainstream producer once again and going back to an epic/commercial sound instead of experimenting ala the previous 3 albums.
    I would say probably only a little, because Thunderstruck is definitely the primary player in the success. They key thing to think of here is how well a Thunderstruck with reverb-y guitars and dog shit vocal production would do...

It's an interesting idea, but I do think that the main success of TRE was on TS's songwriting. You'd be hard pressed to find even the most dissociated music fan who doesn't at least recognize it.
    Lol, I’d love to hear Thunderstruck with FLY production
    Back in black is the second best selling album all time, worldwide. It may have dropped to number 3 in the US but it’s only behind Thriller worldwide
    •  
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinNo way they associate Thunderstruck's success with lyrics, and no way they associate FTATR-BUYV commercial mediocrity with lyrics.

well the way the lyrics tie in with the chorus' help a lot.

as in "you been : thunderstruck"
    as opposed to "heatseeker : and I don't need no life preserver"

has a little more punch, not that I think Heatseeker is a bad song (I fockn love BUYV)

btw, does anyone else sing Play Ball chorus as : "suck my balls....."
    •  
    • Nov 16th 2018

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostLol, I’d love to hear Thunderstruck with FLY production

fuck, that would be the biggest drums in the world and the most washed out vocals in the ocean!!!
    Posted By: Mike206
    Posted By: Wholelottatobe

Are you for real? You are CORRECTdead wrong!

Fixed that for you.
    Even the shittiest Y&Y > the loathsome Video.
    Simple fact.

Ok, what's for real here and what's "shittiest"?

You gotta
    Lay down the rules
    Push up the price
    Turn on the heat
    Put you on ice
    Dealers looking 'round
    Wheel is turning round
    Coming round for you
    Some sin for gold, some sin for shame
    Some sin for cash, some sin for gain
    Some sin for wine, some sin for pain
    But I ain't gonna be the fool who's gonna have to
    Sin for nothin'

+

Slow plane, hard rain
    Cold sweat and I feel the strain
    Look down, no ground
    Black sky, just the engine sound
    Bail out, goodbye
    Take my chances, I don't
    Want to die
    Count ten, just pray
    The nick of time can save me any day
    What you gonna do?

vs.

Jingle bells, jingle bells
    Jingle all the day
    I just can't wait till Christmas time
    When I can grope you in the hay
    Easy come, easy go
    Have a good time with lots of dough
    Slippin' up high, slippin' down low
    Love'm and leave'm on with the show

+

Got the devil in you
    Got the devil in me
    Play a dangerous tune
    Come on and dance with thee
    You gotta
    Throw your fists up
    Shout your mouth out
    Beat the walls down
    Get the freak out

Rock a little, rock a little
    Rock your little heart out

Ok, if you really, really think the second set of lyrics blows away the first, then I think you should be banned. Or at least warned. I'm serious.
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2018

Mike you've lost the plot.
    Posted By: Rickshaw1Back in black is the second best selling album all time, worldwide. It may have dropped to number 3 in the US but it’s only behind Thriller worldwide

Is it not about 8th now?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • Nov 17th 2018

Posted By: ThundertoneI saw in one of the threads that Brian hasn’t written anything for ACDC in a very long time. Does anyone know the real reason? I thought it may probably be to do with him having a lyric block or I did think that maybe he came up with some rubbish stuff like “here’s some ideas lads”
    1. Rock my car
    2. my car rocks
    3. My fast rock car
    4. For cars about to Rock
    5. Rock my car away

I think you’ll prob get the gist that maybe the cars and driving were more his passion

I got a crush on you
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Nov 17th 2018

It is considered a bad thing by fans because it leads to the allegation that they prioritise brand over band, and that they'll even sacrifice artistic quality for some extra cash. It's true that it will also make them quite determined to succeed, but it also leads to this very black-and-white version of events where the Youngs take every opportunity to fuck Brian over.

Secondly, the question is not so much how many albums will sell as how much they want whatever money comes from those sales. If the Youngs had been that concerned with royalties, they could have been writing all the lyrics from the start. In fact they were doing this during the Dave Evans days, but then delegated the responsibility to Bon. Bon was a highly talented wordsmith, so that was the right move.

But I agree that the success of TRE was probably why the lyric-writing duties changed hands, I just differ on the reasoning behind it. Instead of the Youngs attempting to control the revenue stream on writing credits, I think they hit upon a formula that worked for everyone - they would go away and come back with an album more or less fully written. Less pressure on Brian and more certainty for the Youngs, knowing pretty much what the album would sound like before even going in to record.
    The lyrics on BUYV?

Some of the best Brian has ever penned.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Nov 17th 2018 edited

The lyrics on BUYV may be better from a philosophical or lyrical point of view compared to TRE, but AC/DC's mass following doesn't analyze lyrics. For them it's the songs that matter, and Thunderstruck got them hooked. Still, song titles were good, as for Thunderstruck, and even if we don't know what Thunderstruck is about, some of them lyrics are powerful combined with the gargantuan riffs of the song. They liked Thunderstruck better than Heatseeker and TRE helped to reestablish the band as rock giants. BUYV didn't increase AC/DC's fan base in any wider sense, but TRE gave the band a new generation of devotees. TRE has more hooks than BUYV and also has Fire Your Guns that is a beast of a song. Looking back I don't think Angus and Malcolm thought that it was the best of ideas to not get assistance with production duties, as was done with BUYV and FOTS. The latter recording also has some serious dips with regard to the quality of the lyrics, if you want to analyze poetry.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 17th 2018

TRE had that polished sound and bigger production, which worked well for mass-audience / TV / video viewers. Thunderstruck was full of catchy elements and was brilliant for a comeback, in-your-face single. It really grabbed people's attention and gave a feeling of AC/DC being 'back'. The lyrics in Thunderstruck are weird and mostly meaningless, but somehow it all came together with a bit of feeling to it, whereas many other songs in that era onwards lacked any atmosphere or story whatsoever.

I think even casual fans do note the quality of lyrics. Everyone loves to sing along with YSMANL, but you'd feel a dick singing along to Rock Your Heart Out or something. They've written stacks of great music since 1990 where certain songs would have been elevated to higher levels with some good titles, lyrics and purpose.

I believe the Youngs thought their simple, direct lyrics were a success, but I also agree with a previous comment that their new routine of writing everything in advance might have been at least partly why they did same going forward with the lyrics. This was a mistake though (IMO), as they could have easily treated those as draft lyrics and asked Brian to come up with some decent ones.
    Incredibly interesting discussion going on here. From an album standpoint, I feel that Video was the last one with true character and a distinct atmosphere to it. However, there's one exception that I'll get to in a second. In a way, Thunderstruck was both a blessing and a curse for the Youngs, in that it was highly successful and got them back in the public's eyes, but it also got them fully set on a formula of sorts. The exception I mentioned earlier would be Stiff Upper Lip, because there's no way they all thought that this slow, bluesy, rock n roll album would be as mainstream as TRE. To me, that means that it was the last album in which they truly wanted to make something that wasn't following the formula of their previous album/s. It has a very distinct sound to it, in both the warm production and stylistic songwriting. However, the lyrics still suffer from the same Y/Y brilliance, and the songwriting itself could be better in some places.

Back to lyrics, though. Lyrics have never really mattered for ACDC in the long run, but having good ones is MUCH better than having shit ones. One reason Powerage is considered a masterpiece overall (aside from the fact that it is from a songwriting perspective) is that the lyrics actually are very clever and have genuine meaning.
    • Nov 17th 2018 edited

As much as I hate Simon Wright's drumming, I think I actually hate the lyrics on Video more.
    I'm gonna fire up the coal ... HAHAHAHA ... I don't need no life preserver .... HAHAHAHAHA ... the most NOT rock and roll lyrics ACDC has ever done, fucking awful.
    ... Ruff Stuff ?! LOL ... I like 'em big, And I like 'em small ..... nothing says rock and roll genius like unintentionally homoerotic lyrics ... campy and fucking horrible.
    This shit makes Rock the Blues Away look like Bob Dylan.