[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Nov 10th 2018

Posted By: Alex Lebanongreat.

Dylan, Van Morrison, Cohen and Young are the big four lyricists for me.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mal
    • Nov 11th 2018

Love the tongue in cheek lyrics of so much of what Lemmy wrote, kind of similar to Bon in many respects. Always fun but always meant business on stage.
    Miss the old coloured vinyls ike Motörhead's early singles, a blue Motörhead "Motörhead" and a red Iron fist spring to mind, silly as nostalgia is.
    Favorite album probably 1916.
    My favourite track off APD - seems poignantly timely, too, with all the WW1 commemorations taking place:

Posted By: Alex LebanonMy favourite track off APD - seems poignantly timely, too, with all the WW1 commemorations taking place:

Definitely a great one, but my favorite's gotta be the opener. Robertson's lead playing style is shown very clearly, and the song is overall badass as fuck. Seriously, you open with Lemmy saying some random shit, and then go into one of the loudest bass openers in music history. Right off the bat after he's done talking just DUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUH
    • AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Nov 13th 2018

Does anybody know where and when this foto of Lemmy Angus and Brian has been taken ?
    Found another one from the same day. Based on the background and what they're holding, I'd say it has to do with kerrang magazine
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Nov 15th 2018

Read your comment Alex Lebanon. Glad I could help regards Motörhead. Your not the first on here I've steered towards the band and I'm always glad when someone wants to get into their music. Just such a shame we can't see them live anymore. November has never been the same these past few years.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Nov 15th 2018

Lots of love here for Another Perfect Day, which has always been my favourite MH album. I have read though that die-hard Motorheadbangers hate that album - maybe us ACDC fans are a touch too melodic or their tastes :)

I have the vinyl of APD signed by Lemmy and the band. I saw them at the Manchester Apollo - I was still at school, scruffy little shit covered with teenage spots. Lemmy was a class act. It was a winter gig and cold outside so he invited EVERY fan waiting outside back into the theatre where they had set up a couple of wooden tables, which they stood behind. We queued up and they signed every time the fans brought.

When it was my turn, Lemmy looked down at me and said out loud "I guess the party at your place tonight". I almost shit myself lol.

True legend!!
    Posted By: nimetaLots of love here for Another Perfect Day, which has always been my favourite MH album. I have read though that die-hard Motorheadbangers hate that album - maybe us ACDC fans are a touch too melodic or their tastes :)

I have the vinyl of APD signed by Lemmy and the band. I saw them at the Manchester Apollo - I was still at school, scruffy little shit covered with teenage spots. Lemmy was a class act. It was a winter gig and cold outside so he invited EVERY fan waiting outside back into the theatre where they had set up a couple of wooden tables, which they stood behind. We queued up and they signed every time the fans brought.

When it was my turn, Lemmy looked down at me and said out loud "I guess the party at your place tonight". I almost shit myself lol.

True legend!!
    I wouldn't say ACDC is much more melodic than Motorhead, but there are some standout songs that I would classify as very melodic (YSMALN is a classic example of that). I guess in the same way we shit on BUYV for being too "1980's", some Motorhead fans hate on APD for being too melodic and sonic in terms of guitar sound. A big difference in them, though, is that APD has great songwriting, while BUYV has.... well.... it's okay...

Also, great story!
    Bump because it's all I've been listening to the past week or so, and as I go deeper into their catalog, I notice something.

Lemmy always labeled them as a rock band, and while at the end of the day the genre doesn't fucking matter, I do notice that their sound became much more metal oriented by the early 90s. Listening to Bastards now, and the guitar/bass tones are much more metal than say on Overkill, where they were easier to tell apart and weren't as loud. Also, some of the music just feels darker. Still great stuff, though.

Just take in the lyrics of this. Lemmy doesn't hold back, speaking of the horrors that most musicians wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
    This got a very good groove.

• Nov 18th 2019 edited

something to make people smile I think. Dee Snider first ever solo albums opening track was a tribute to Lemmy...

I bet Lemmy loved this, especially the lyrics..

Well, he don't care what people say
    Hardcore metal's here to stay
    And he don't know from right or wrong
    He's hard and hungry, lean and strong
    All right, let's go, yeah right
    You know that he's home out on the road

PRE-CHORUS:

Born to lose, not to die
    Ask no questions, tell no lies
    Sworn to fun, heeds the call
    Lives to rock, it's him against them all

CHORUS:

He's hardcore (hardcore)
    Harcore (hardcore)
    Nothin' less, nothin' more
    He's hardcore (hardcore)
    Hardcore (hardcore)
    To the death, that's for sure

The power chord is all he needs
    Kill or be killed his only creed
    While death is certain, life is not
    So he strikes while the iron's hot
    C'mon, let's go, yeah right
    He lives a hard life, it's all he knows
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 18th 2019

That's fuckin SHITE mate. Sounds like BAD NEWS without the jokes.
    Dee Snider might be a friendly and cool guy, but his image and his band...
    • Nov 18th 2019

If you take it as a tongue in cheek tribute, and not too seriously, I think its nice. Never the sort of song to play more than once however.
    They shifted towards metal when Mikkey Dee joined. He was the turning point.
    Posted By: Badlands66They shifted towards metal when Mikkey Dee joined. He was the turning point.

Yep.
    Posted By: Badlands66They shifted towards metal when Mikkey Dee joined. He was the turning point.
    Yeah, but I wouldn’t say it was JUST because of that. Bastards was incredibly loud production-wise to me, and though Motorhead’s always been a loud band, it just began to come across differently. The sound was much bigger and a bit less unique, though the songwriting was very similar for the most part, and that’s what matters.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Yeah, but I wouldn’t say it was JUST because of that. Bastards was incredibly loud production-wise to me, and though Motorhead’s always been a loud band, it just began to come across differently. The sound was much bigger and a bit less unique, though the songwriting was very similar for the most part, and that’s what matters.
    You can actually tell that they gravitated towards metal on the prior album March or Die on a number of tracks, with Tommy Aldrige on drums.
    The shift came there in a way, but it was really pronounced on Bastards of course. Mikkey is a metal drummer, he does not know how to emulate the swing that rock drummers like Phil Taylor or Rudd (for that matter) possesses, this was incidentally the reason why setlist staple “Motorhead” was dropped, Mikkey could never make it sound right.
    They became faster and lost a lot of the swing from the old days, but they were always labled metal with a punk - later thrash metal -influence. Remember metal in the 70s was blues based heavy rock, like Deep Purple and Zeppelin, even Hendrix is sometimes seen as i pioneer of the genre. And to the guy not thinking Motorhead could be melodic: try singing some of their songs with a normal voice and notice that they are often quite melodic, or go listen to the On Parole album.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 21st 2019

I've only ever heard Rock 'N' Roll when I listen to Motorhead.
    Posted By: soulstripper666They became faster and lost a lot of the swing from the old days, but they were always labled metal with a punk - later thrash metal -influence. Remember metal in the 70s was blues based heavy rock, like Deep Purple and Zeppelin, even Hendrix is sometimes seen as i pioneer of the genre. And to the guy not thinking Motorhead could be melodic: try singing some of their songs with a normal voice and notice that they are often quite melodic, or go listen to the On Parole album.

So true about the punk element in early MH. In terms of attitude and 'feel' Motorhead S/T reminds me more of the Damned than Purple or Led Zep.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Nov 23rd 2019

Speaking of the Damned and Motörhead:

Saw the Damned support them a few times
    One More Fucking Time. What a tune.